Stanley Kubrick Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.

#1 Post by Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi,

I'm seriously thinking about picking up the warner Kubrick boxset currently available in Europe, as i've seen it for a very good price, but I seem to remember reading a thread on here, before the site crashed, that they were due for a re-release? Does anybody know if this is on the cards or roughly when it'll happen. Also, apart from Dr. Strangelove and the shining, are the versions contained the best available? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

oldsheperd

#2 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:05 pm

Supposedly a two disc 2001 is in the works. I wouldn't put it past Warners to release special editions of his films. They've done it with quite a few of their other discs.

two mules

#3 Post by two mules » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:55 am

If you can get it for a good price, go for it. The second release of the Kubrick box [or the only release, if you're region 2] is excellent. Great transfers. Why did you say "apart from... the shining"? The second release of Shining looks phenomenal. It's the first release that's shit.

devlinnn

#4 Post by devlinnn » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:31 am

Why did you say "apart from... the shining"? The second release of Shining looks phenomenal. It's the first release that's shit.
The US DVD of The Shining is the longer cut (146 min). The R2 (& R4) is the 119 min. version.
If you have yet to buy the boxset, I'd wait a little while longer. Just recently in Australia prices for Barry Lydon, Lolita and Eyes Wide Shut were cut by over 60%rrp. The boxset itself was withdrawn over a year ago. All tell-tale signs of future re-releases. The rumors are very strong for a 2-disc set of 2001 to start with. Fingers crossed we will get both cuts of The Shining in one 2-disc set as well.

Sai

#5 Post by Sai » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:42 am

flixyflox wrote:JUst remember the R2/R4 The Shining is the shorter version.
But it's also the Kubrick-preferred version.

milk114

#6 Post by milk114 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:04 am

In the next few years before the next generation of media dominates should we expect expanded re-issues of almost every title out there? I love my Kubrick boxset, it was my first big DVD purchase and am already slightly miffed about the Dr Strangelove two disc and still haven't seen evidence of why I should get it. I understand a re-issue would be great for folks without the set but is there that much that can be added to make it worth while for those who already do? (although non-snapper cases arguably is enough)

Fletch F. Fletch

#7 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:22 am

milk114 wrote:In the next few years before the next generation of media dominates should we expect expanded re-issues of almost every title out there? I love my Kubrick boxset, it was my first big DVD purchase and am already slightly miffed about the Dr Strangelove two disc and still haven't seen evidence of why I should get it. I understand a re-issue would be great for folks without the set but is there that much that can be added to make it worth while for those who already do? (although non-snapper cases arguably is enough)
Not really unless you're a completist. The additional extras are nice to have but don't really add much unless you want to hear Robert McNamara or Spike Lee pontificate about the movie.

justeleblanc

#8 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:42 am

I remember seeing a while ago big grey boxes for 2001, Clockwork, and Full Metal Jacket that were maybe 2 disc sets with special features and now they aren't available. I'm not sure if Warner released these sets or not since I think I remember seeing Pulp Fuction in a similar grey box. Do you guys know if Warner ever plans to rerelease any of their Kubrick titles in maybe special edition sets of some sort with the special features that were in these mysterious grey boxes.

Sai

#9 Post by Sai » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:47 am

I believe they carried an OST as second disc. And maybe stuff like filmframes and posters, if I remember correctly.

justeleblanc

#10 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:51 am

Just an OST? I hate it when they do that, it gets your hopes up. Is it really that hard to find documentaries, interviews, or press footage for Kubrick films?

atcolomb

#11 Post by atcolomb » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm

I hope Warner Bros. releases a 2 disc special edition of 2001 A Space
Odyssey. So far all the dvd releases have very little extras on them
compared to the Criterion Collection laserdisc box set whch had some
great ones on them!! A great film like this one deserves a better dvd!

Nihonophile

#12 Post by Nihonophile » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:45 pm

Sai wrote:I believe they carried an OST as second disc. And maybe stuff like filmframes and posters, if I remember correctly.
You do remember correctly. This was their version of a collector's edition in the past. Kane also has one. Its amazing that they charge you three times the price but it only has nonexclusive extras.

dx23

#13 Post by dx23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:58 pm

2001 Space Odyssey also came in a big gray box as a limited collectors edition. This is/was? a Warner trend during the beggining of the DVD days, where they would release a film as a regular snapper release and also release a limited boxset that only included litograph and posters and other inane stuff. They did it also with Blade Runner, The Wizard of Oz, The Exorcist, Twister and the Dirty Dozen. Some of them are on sale right now at DDD for $19.99.

Returning to the topic, Warner has missed the boat on special editions of the Kubrick films. Besides the continous debate of Kubrick films being full frame or widescreen, I also heard a rumor that the Kubrick estate has said the the current DVDs are not going to be re-released because there is no more to be improved or added.

I don't think that the current releases are that bad at all, but I only hope they could re-release as 2 disc special editions or at least released in keepcases instead of the awful snappers. The only re-released I have heard to be on production (I think from DVDBeaver) is an unedited version of Eyes Wide Shut, since the current R1 has some scenes edited for sexual content. They could also do a boxset ala Oliver Stone Set and release the entire Kubrick collection, including Dr. Strangelove. Also the could at least release the exclusive documentary on Kubricks last boxset as an individual release. But knowing Warner, sooner or later they are going to revisit Kubrick for the last time on DVD and do it well.

THX1378

#14 Post by THX1378 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:56 pm

2001 Space Odyssey also came in a big gray box as a limited collectors edition.
Yep both 2001 and Clockwork came out in a black box limited collectors edition. I got both over at E-Bay really cheap. They both came with the remastered soundtrack on cd, a film strip, the dvd, and some lobby cards. I had heard that 2001 was getting redone as a 2 disc speical edition, but I think that the one that needs it the most also is Clockwork. There is so much of a backstory to the film that it could make for a nice doc on the second disc. And also have stuff about Clockworks place in pop culture history from Bart Simpson dressing up as Alex for halloween on the Simpsons to which bands have been inspired by both the book and the film.

Jeff

#15 Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:47 am

In the HTF chat tonight, Warner let us know that a 2-disc special edition of 2001 would be coming in 2006, along with special editions of all of the other Kubrick films. Within the past year or so, the Kubrick estate has become very forthcoming with archival material. Witness this article about the Kubrick estate, and this masive upcoming book of material.

justeleblanc

#16 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:32 am

That's amazing news..... amazing.

dx23

#17 Post by dx23 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:11 pm

Just as I was talking, Warner announces it. Definitely great news for Kubrick fans. And releasing the new Special Editions on a boxset would be sweeter.

DrewReiber

#18 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:26 am

They've been talking about a new box set for a while, re-releasing the titles from other companies as well as his previously unseen early work (the stuff he buried and will be excavated now that he's dead).

Cinéslob

#19 Post by Cinéslob » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:40 pm

DrewReiber wrote:They've been talking about a new box set for a while, re-releasing the titles from other companies as well as his previously unseen early work (the stuff he buried and will be excavated now that he's dead).
All of Kubrick's 16 films? I'll remain slightly sceptical for now, but if that's actually the case, it'll be the boxset of the decade, let alone 2006!

godardslave

#20 Post by godardslave » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:24 pm

Cineslob wrote:
DrewReiber wrote:They've been talking about a new box set for a while, re-releasing the titles from other companies as well as his previously unseen early work (the stuff he buried and will be excavated now that he's dead).
All of Kubrick's 16 films? I'll remain slightly sceptical for now, but if that's actually the case, it'll be the boxset of the decade, let alone 2006!
16? #-o

justeleblanc

#21 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:22 am

I'm assuming 16 is counting the early documentaires, like DAY OF THE FIGHT, etc...

It's the aspect ratio that's killing me, does Kubrick really prefer THE SHINING in full frame? Did he specifically write this down, or did he just verbally tell his spouse... Honestly, I respect those with 4:3 televisions, if that's what they really want, but I really don't think it's fair to enforce this culture of pan and scan on the entire country.

Cinéslob

#22 Post by Cinéslob » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:17 am

godardslave wrote:
Cineslob wrote:
All of Kubrick's 16 films? I'll remain slightly sceptical for now, but if that's actually the case, it'll be the boxset of the decade, let alone 2006![/quote
16? #-o

Well, okay then, the 12 feature films and the 4 miscellaneous works. Happy now? :wink:

Andre Jurieu

#23 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 am

I heard/read somewhere that Kubrick didn't really prefer the 4:3 ratio, so much as he preferred his image to take up the entire viewing area, which means he just didn't enjoy the black bars that surround the image. I believe the problem he had with this was that it distracted the viewer, or caused them to have a different reaction to the material than they would to a "full" image. So, that would actually mean that he would prefer his images on widescreen TVs to be in 1:85:1. Of course, I can't remember where the hell I heard/read this. For what it's worth I believe I read it in some film magazine from an interview with a producer at Warner Brothers.

Jeff

#24 Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:13 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:I heard/read somewhere that Kubrick didn't really prefer the 4:3 ratio, so much as he preferred his image to take up the entire viewing area, which means he just didn't enjoy the black bars that surround the image. I believe the problem he had with this was that it distracted the viewer, or caused them to have a different reaction to the material than they would to a "full" image. So, that would actually mean that he would prefer his images on widescreen TVs to be in 1:85:1.
Well then, the clear solution would be for Warner to do two-disc special editions with both 16:9 and 4:3 versions - at least for The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe by 2006, Warner will have discovered the joys of anamorphic 1.66 for Barry Lyndon, Clockwork Orange, and Lolita.

I hadn't heard anything about Warner trying to get all of Kubrick's films in one box, but I suppose it's possible. Some random company was about to put out The Seafarers a couple of years ago, but the Kubrick estate stopped it. Maybe the strong relationship that the estate has with Warner will allow the short films and Fear and Desire to finally see the light of day. Who knows if Sony will continue to let Warner include Dr. Strangelove in their box? If they do, that will bode well for Killer's Kiss, The Killing, and Paths of Glory which will all be in Sony's hands once their acquisition of MGM is complete. Universal might let Warner include Spartacus, but I sure can't imagine Criterion putting their version in there. I'm not sure Kubrick would want it in there anyway.

chaddoli

#25 Post by chaddoli » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 pm

There's been rumors of this for awhile now, started by Kubrick's brother-in-law and producer, Jan Harlan. He said he wants all the films possible in the box (including some of the shorts) but will not, under ANY circumstances, be including Fear and Desire.