The Shield

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

The Shield

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Final season starts next week. Exclusive cast interviews are on FX's website. Big fan of the show right from the beginning, it'll be both sad and intriguing how they wrap it all up.

davebert

#2 Post by davebert » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 pm

With Vic in jail?

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I think Vic will walk away, with everyone else burning. Shane's involvement with the Armenians has bad karma written all over it.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highway 61

#4 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:37 pm

So psyched. Last season came off a little weak after the brilliance of 4 & 5, probably because season 7 was a last-minute decision.

As for a resolution, I hope Vic lives and redeems himself, although I doubt that's how it will play out. I expect Vic and Shane will get what's coming to them (my guess is that Ronnie kills them or rats them out). But more than anything I hope Aceveda eats it. Man is as ruthless as Vic, and the show has teased us with his fall for so long that I just couldn't take it if he didn't pay in some way.

jesus the mexican boi

#5 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Highway 61 wrote:But more than anything I hope Aceveda eats it. Man is as ruthless as Vic, and the show has teased us with his fall for so long that I just couldn't take it if he didn't pay in some way.
Cellphone pix of Aceveda chugging criminal cock will surely come into play.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:17 am

SpoilerShow
I hope they bring back Lem this season.

bkimball

#7 Post by bkimball » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:48 am

swo17 wrote:
SpoilerShow
I hope they bring back Lem this season.
As a ghost a la Six Feet Under?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:15 am

I'd prefer more like T-1000 in Terminator 2.

flyonthewall2983

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Wow, great start. Any thoughts?

Polybius

#10 Post by Polybius » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:31 am

Highway 61 wrote:As for a resolution, I hope Vic lives and redeems himself
Considering that his frst act on this show was to murder a non-crooked cop in cold blood, that will take some real doing. Ryan has always promised a reckoning for him before the series ends. I sincerely hope he doesn't wimp out.

A fine show, superior to almost everything of it's type during it's run.

Highway 61

#11 Post by Highway 61 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Opener was great. My suspicion that Ronnie is going to come out of the shadows and brutalize Vic/Shane/Everyone was confirmed.
Considering that his frst act on this show was to murder a non-crooked cop in cold blood, that will take some real doing. Ryan has always promised a reckoning for him before the series ends. I sincerely hope he doesn't wimp out.
Oh I definitely don't want a whimped out ending. I'm simply hoping for a curve ball. The presumptive ending starting with the very first episode has been that Vic will die. The Shield has been great at defying expectations, and I hope they can pull off a big one for the finale.

flyonthewall2983

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Tonight's episode was good. Any thoughts?

Polybius

#13 Post by Polybius » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 am

I liked Ronnie's declaration that he wasn't going to drown for Shane, or Vic, either.

Vice Squad Tina would be an excellent spinoff for this show...

Highway 61

#14 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:09 pm

First two episodes were fairly conventional, but this was great. Vic's absolutely falling apart; even Shane seems like he's got a better handle on things at this point.

Also, nice to see Billings do something other than his tired comic relief act. I would really like to see that character have an actual purpose this season.

flyonthewall2983

Re: The Shield

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 am

Finally caught up with the previous episode last night (was watching history on Tuesday). The tension in it was pretty good, I hope it pays off in these last 3 episodes.

Polybius

#16 Post by Polybius » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Things are definitely progressing to an endpoint. I was a little concerned that it would just peter out with the strike team all hugging and heading out to pound some Budweiser, like every episode of CHiPs.

Don't get me wrong here...obviously this show has set a much higher tone than that throughout it's run, but I was concerned Ryan and his staff wouldn't be able to finally do what needed to be done.

You wouldn't believe the amount of pure, unadulterated ends-means bullshit I read all over the intertubes about how Mackey is a net force for good and should be left alone by all of those meddlers so that he can clean up the streets of L.A. My concerns that that same mindset might have swayed the show's writers seem to have been misplaced.

Highway 61

#17 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:24 am

I too wasn't confident in the show after the mixed sixth season and this season's first couple of episodes, but goddamn, it is rocking now. I realize that I come off as a fanboy, but I just have to say that the last few episodes created the most visceral suspense that I've ever known across literature, film, or television.

And indeed, Mackey looks to be headed for a very painful demise, which I'm both dreading and looking forward to. Don't get me wrong; I'll never give you that bullshit about Mackey's ends justifying his means, but I still can't help but get a kick out of him. In fact, the conflict that the show engenders is me is why I love it so much: I can't wait to see Mackey ruined, but I'd also love seeing him beat the hell out of the system and get away.

flyonthewall2983

#18 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:01 am

Another killer tonight, you can feel the rope getting tighter around everyone. It'll be really sad to see this show go, the only one I've kept up with well on FX.

Polybius

#19 Post by Polybius » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:05 am

Highway 61 wrote:And indeed, Mackey looks to be headed for a very painful demise, which I'm both dreading and looking forward to. Don't get me wrong; I'll never give you that bullshit about Mackey's ends justifying his means, but I still can't help but get a kick out of him.
I know what you mean, because I feel the same way. Vic Mackey lives. He's a character that tight writing and an electrifying actor breathe vibrant life into each episode.

I really love that Claudette has set her sights so firmly on Vic and Shane (and now Ronnie...the way she spat out "Goddamned errand boy!" on the stakeout the other night was terrific), after once being sort of agnostic about the team's action (back when it was Aceveda on the anti-Mackey crusade.) Pounder is a true heavyweight, as well. This role has given her lots of room and time to demonstrate it.

I also had to laugh at Shane using his long time nom de doofus "Cletus Van Damme" as the return address on the envelope Ronnie was trying so hard to intercept.

Highway 61

#20 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Damn, I didn't catch the "Cletus Van Damme." Hilarious.

I hear you about the performances of Chiklis and Pounder. It sucks that their careers are likely done after this and only because they're "tv actors." If The Shield were a feature, the whole cast would be flooded with offers. It's especially disappointing because the quality of acting in American movies is pitiful. (This actually could make for an interesting thread as I think one of the reasons we've seen a new golden age in TV is that shows have tapped into the wealth of acting talent that Hollywood ignores: actors who aren't glamorous enough for Hollywood (Gandolfini, Chiklis) or who aren't white (Pounder), etc., etc.).

Polybius

#21 Post by Polybius » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:14 am

That is absolutely true. In any sane world, Andre Braugher would have four Oscars and be the number one box office attraction going.

bkimball

#22 Post by bkimball » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 am

The fact that my friends and I don't have any clue as to where this show is going is a good thing. I sure hope that Ronnie (sp?) doesn't go down while the Vic does not.

I have heard that people die in the last episode; I anticipate the end of the show. It has been a great 7 years. I've watched since the very beginning. No show has had an effect on me like this one. Mwah....we'll miss you!

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am

Damn damn damn. I will miss this damn show.

jesus the mexican boi

#24 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:57 am

Me too. Some of the best acting and writing around. Every character is coming through in this extended finale-- they're not skimping or skipping, they're doing it absolutely right.

flyonthewall2983

#25 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:32 am

Tonight's show was nothing short of genius. I don't throw the G word around much, and some can feel free to dispute my choices but you cannot dispute the dramatic tension that was searing through tonight's episode. The silence at the beginning of Mackey's confession had me on the edge of my seat.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.