Fox Noir Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jack Phillips

#201 Post by Jack Phillips » Mon May 12, 2008 12:55 am

That was my feeling exactly.

Bete_Noire

#202 Post by Bete_Noire » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:02 pm

I haven't noticed this mentioned in any reviews, but on my copy of House of Bamboo, the colors become washed out before segueing to the next scene every time. It's a jarring and noticeable effect, and I doubt it's intentional. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it the DVD (which is brand new and mint), or my DVD player?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#203 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:10 pm

That happens a lot on various Technicolor transfers, not just that one. I'm sure someone better versed in the phenomenon than me could explain why.

HerrSchreck

#204 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Probably the endsof scenes/beginning of reels, which have been exposed to elements, light, etc, as opposed to the rest of the reel which is tucked under the layers of celluloid. Even in old b&w films you'll notice speckling etc go thru the roof.. especially pronounced on silents... snowstorms of this stuff just near reel breaks on some titles.

zedz

#205 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Ah, beat me to it. You lose a generation with optical work, and this effect is compounded with each additional generation lost, so the effect is even more intrusive with a dupe than it is in a first generation print. The problem is,
SpoilerShow
like hearing the cut in Strawberry Fields Forever,
once you start seeing this effect, you can't really unsee it, so you develop a 'stand by for dissolve' mode of viewing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#206 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Thank God for Daisy Kenyon, the only bright point of the recent debacle of Fox Noir releases. Though it's the least "noir" noir film in the entire line, at least it's a good film! Preminger's camera movements are wonderful, the very adult story surprised me at every turn (It took like an hour before I could even figure out what kind of movie this was supposed to be!) and Fonda in particular was really good-- a laid-back character who is nevertheless two steps ahead of everyone for the entire film, could anyone have played it better? I don't think so.

wpqx

#207 Post by wpqx » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:37 pm

I'd still like to know what the hell happened to Boomerang

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#208 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 pm

If you threw it right, it should have been back by now.

HerrSchreck

#209 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:09 pm

davidhare wrote:This is called "Popping" and it happens because the negs and prints were both done on Eastman. Only Technicolor IB had a system of running two strips of unexposed film for every optical sequence which were complete from the previous edit to the subseqent edit, thus you got flawless optical dissolves or other effetcs without any generational loss of printing, and identical fine grain structure.
Pah! Serves me right for trying to post away from home. Reading comprehension goes down the drain. My bad.. I didn't catch the "every" part.

And z, regarding Strawberry Feilds... that stuff can really amplify in your mind in your own works... you are aware of all the seams and joins and you think they're as perfectly obvious to everyone else as they are to you, whereas they would have never heard it if you didn't point it out to them.

Then of course their attention to it grows like a cancer.

"Now that's all I hear!"

"Dagnabbit!"

zedz

#210 Post by zedz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:32 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:And z, regarding Strawberry Feilds... that stuff can really amplify in your mind in your own works... you are aware of all the seams and joins and you think they're as perfectly obvious to everyone else as they are to you, whereas they would have never heard it if you didn't point it out to them.

Then of course their attention to it grows like a cancer.

"Now that's all I hear!"

"Dagnabbit!"
These are the real spoilers, not crummy plot twists, and they should be played close to the chest.

HerrSchreck

#211 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 am

You're playing too much ukelele z. Which is played as close to the chest as possible.

Of course I've always been a fan of large breasted women. Keeps me around the chest vicinity wise... but theres only so close to the sternum one can get on the general approach.

Ashirg

Ida Lupino Collection?

#212 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:58 am

DVD Empire now lists two Ida Lupino titles coming September 2 - Moontide and Road House.

Haggai

#213 Post by Haggai » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

These are probably going to be part of the Fox Noir DVD line. They're also listing the OOP Boomerang for release on the same date.

shearerchic

Re: Ida Lupino Collection?

#214 Post by shearerchic » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:40 am

Ashirg wrote:DVD Empire now lists two Ida Lupino titles coming September 2 - Moontide and Road House.
Yeah they're for the noir line. If someone released a Lupino set, it'd be probably be Warners.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#215 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Glad to hear that the last wave didn't end the Fox Noir line, though it would have been a mercy killing

Jeff

#216 Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:20 am

Classicflix has the announcement for the next wave of titles.

Cinephrenic

#217 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Soon they are going to call everything with dark shades in it "noir". I was expecting a few more titles.

wpqx

#218 Post by wpqx » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Quite the contrary this is the best series of titles so far in the series. I've been fooled by Boomerang before, and still remember pre-ordering it two years ago, but it's long been near the top of my list of American films to see, and Moontide is also one I've been very curious from what I've read Fritz Lang worked as an uncredited director on the project.

dr. calamari

#219 Post by dr. calamari » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Now that I've finally located 2 copies of Boomerang for a reasonable price, Fox announces a September release.

Swell.

HerrSchreck

#220 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:05 pm

And you probably paid 50 bucks for it right?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#221 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:41 pm

dr. calamari wrote:Now that I've finally located 2 copies of Boomerang for a reasonable price, Fox announces a September release.

Swell.
Put them up on Half quick

souvenir

#222 Post by souvenir » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:50 pm

wpqx wrote:Quite the contrary this is the best series of titles so far in the series. I've been fooled by Boomerang before, and still remember pre-ordering it two years ago, but it's long been near the top of my list of American films to see, and Moontide is also one I've been very curious from what I've read Fritz Lang worked as an uncredited director on the project.
Kind of curious calling it the best series of titles when you're admitting to not having seen two of them. :wink:

Lang barely worked on Moontide and his fingerprints were washed away by Archie Mayo. Can't say that I'm fond of Boomerang either, and it's pretty far from being a film noir.

dr. calamari

#223 Post by dr. calamari » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:00 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:And you probably paid 50 bucks for it right?
Nope...$14.99 each. Planning to keep one, sell the other. I just hope after all the aggravation, the movie turns out to be worth the wait. In it's favor, at least it wasn't directed by Henry Hathaway, so it's less likely to be sleep inducing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#224 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Famous last words

Si Parallel Universe

#225 Post by Si Parallel Universe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 pm

Jeff wrote:Classicflix has the announcement for the next wave of titles.

Well I know Road House is definitely considered a Noir so that is great news and [shamefully] I know little about Moontide as for Boomerang I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

What with the rumoured Cry Of The City getting the CC treatment sometime soon this is getting better for the Fox Noir titles. The OCD part of my brain is wondering if the spine number of Boomerang will be #16 as per the withdrawn release [which I was lucky to pick up 1st time around].