49 Nights of Cabiria

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

49 Nights of Cabiria

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:19 pm

Nights of Cabiria

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/368/49_box_348x490_w128.jpg[/img]

Giulietta Masina won Best Actress at Cannes as the title character of one of Fellini’s most haunting films. Oscar winner for Best Foreign Language Film, Nights of Cabiria (Le notti di Cabiria) is the tragic story of a naive prostitute searching for true love in the seediest sections of Rome. Criterion proudly presents the restored director’s cut in a breathtaking new transfer.

Disc Features

- Uncut, restored theatrical re-release version features the never-before-seen seven-minute “man with a sack” sequence
- Exclusive video interview with former Fellini assistant Dominique Delouche
- Audio interview with producer Dino De Laurentiis
- The original and re-release theatrical trailers
- Excerpt from Fellini's The White Sheik, in which Masina makes her first appearance as Cabiria
- Restoration demonstration
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Italian and optional English-dubbed tracks

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Michael

#2 Post by Michael » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:18 pm

I'm so psyched about seeing Nights of Cabiria on the big screen as a part of the upcoming Florida Film Festival.

Jonathan Rosenbaum's thoughts.

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:31 pm

Michael wrote:I'm so psyched about seeing Nights of Cabiria on the big screen as a part of the upcoming Florida Film Festival.
It'll be a blast. The hugeness of the characters involved projects out more appropriate on the big screen. Especially little Giulietta.

pops

#4 Post by pops » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:33 am

I love this film! Amazingly, I never even heard of it until 2 months ago, when I saw La Dolce Vita and my curiosity was stroked. Started investigating Fellini's films and bought this one as my first Fellini purchase. Got my Criterion DVD last Monday and have watched Nights of Cabiria now probably 5 times. I was completely blown away by Giulietta Masina. Now I need MORE MORE MORE!!! :lol:

Antoine Doinel

#5 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:07 am

Needless to say, your next stop needs to be La Strada.

pops

#6 Post by pops » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks. I think I may have seen that years ago on Turner Classic or something, but I really don't remember much about it. That will be my next Criterion DVD.

tavernier

#7 Post by tavernier » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:43 am

Of course, Fellini did make a few decent movies without his wife.

Michael

#8 Post by Michael » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:52 am

There's something about La Strada I don't like. I think it has a lot to do with Giulietta's character Gelsomina. Cabiria, on the other hand, I love! It's one of the movies I watch once or twice every year. When it was screened at the Florida Film Festival last year, I was struck by how much more magnificent and powerful it was on the big screen. I never noticed till then how brilliant and subtle Fellini's directing was since Giulietta steals the film no matter what.

jorencain

#9 Post by jorencain » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 pm

I like "La Strada" alright, but it's nowhere near as good as "Cabiria." I think Fellini only achieved those same heights once more, with "8 1/2". Those are 2 of my favorite all-time movies.

pops

#10 Post by pops » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Well, so far in my book, Fellini is 2 for 2. Next week, I'm ordering La Strada. After that, I will be exploring further. Ya'll will have to pardon me... I'm somewhat new to all this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:30 pm

pops wrote:Well, so far in my book, Fellini is 2 for 2. Next week, I'm ordering La Strada. After that, I will be exploring further. Ya'll will have to pardon me... I'm somewhat new to all this.
I think there's little any of us wouldn't give to be able to discover all our favorite directors again for the first time, welcome aboard!

pops

#12 Post by pops » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Thank You. I'm not kidding... after Nights Of Cabiria for the first time, my head was spinning.

Napier

#13 Post by Napier » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Well ladies and gents, how are we to prepare this newbie for And The Ship Sails On.I love Fellini, but sometimes find myself wishing the ship would just sink halfway through the film. =P~ As for NOC I always cry in the end.

pops

#14 Post by pops » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Nobody's perfect, right? :lol:

truenatureunfolds

#15 Post by truenatureunfolds » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:39 am

I just recently got to view this for the first time as well. After receiving two discs from Netflix that wouldn't play I had to check it out from my college's library. I was awestruck, and definitely needed to make this a purchase. So, I just ordered it a few nights ago and I'm waiting for it to come in.

pops

#16 Post by pops » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 am

this film has set me off on an exploration. a whole new world of film. 8-)

Chull

#17 Post by Chull » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 am

pops wrote:this film has set me off on an exploration. a whole new world of film.
I guess I had a similar experience about six years ago. That was when I bought my first dvd player. It completely changed my attitude towards films. I couldn't believe the difference it made from watching vhs. I had a whole new appreciation. Then I discovered Criterion. One of the first rentals was 8 1/2. I had seen very little foreign material up to then. I was baffled and awe-struck. I literally felt like I had watched a film directed by an alien, it was so completely different to what I had watched before. I've watched quite a few foreign/art-house since then. I look forward to revisiting that film again, but have put it off. It's almost time. Last night I watched I Vitelloni. A great experience. I think La Dolce Vita is next.

pops

#18 Post by pops » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:00 am

and there's ALOT to catch up on, isn't there? hard to know where to start! :lol:

RevRick

#19 Post by RevRick » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm

I love it that you all are discovering Fellini . . . I remember when I did, with first La Strada then 8-1/2. After that, I ate the films of the maestro up. I prefer Nights of Cabiria over La Strada, perhaps bec ause of Masina's performance, but also because NOC seems a little further away from Fellini's Neorealist roots . . . it's very atmospheric, and the nightclub scene is hilarious.

Michael

#20 Post by Michael » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:26 am

May I ask why Purple Rose of Cairo? I think Mala Noche would make a terrific double bill. Cabiria and Walt have a lot in common. Hopelessly romantic and determined. Both are outside the society, night owls falling very hard in love with wrong people on streets and in bars. I find that Cabiria and Walt, both outcasts, carry the similiar outlook on the world - eternally optimistic and caring. Cabiria looks at us in the end, letting us know that she'll be okay. Walt looks out of the car window, with this majestically beautiful glow in his face, letting us know that he'll be okay. We still care about them after the films dissolve.

Tom Hagen

#21 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 am

Is Cabiria a likely candidate for reissue? Its not that this disc (from my recollection anyway) is screaming out for a reissue, but I am inherently weary of committing to many of the early Criterion titles for fear of double dipping, etc.

miless

#22 Post by miless » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:29 am

it seems Cabiria would be just as likely for a reissue as some of the older full-frame titles such as Alphaville, Diabolique or Fishing With John.

HerrSchreck

#23 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:29 am

Especially since it's rampantly overpriced as a hi tier disc..

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#24 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 am

miless wrote:it seems Cabiria would be just as likely for a reissue as some of the older full-frame titles such as Alphaville, Diabolique or Fishing With John.
I would suggest that both Diaboliques and particularly Alphaville are bleeding from the arse screaming to be looked at again .

DeathDealer

#25 Post by DeathDealer » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:05 am

Just saw it. Fucking AMAZING. But an idea has been rattling in my brain ever since the film finished. Do you think that Cabiria was willingly trying to commit suicide at the beginning of the film and there was no Giorgio present at all, just her imagnation of him?

Reason 1) When the kids save her from the river, they claim there was no one with her. Just her by herself.

Reason 2) When she is brought back to life by the rescuers, she reacts in a very cold and blunt way. Unforunate that she has survived her suicide attempt and therefore annoyed that she still has to live in her damned world.

I mean think about it, she's a WHORE who we know very well dislikes her occuption and is longing for a way out. I think she makes up this Giorgio to be present for herself and make herself falsely believe she is not willingly giving up but pushed into it by others.

Thoughts and Opinions?