Criterion Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.2

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Martha

Criterion Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.2

#1 Post by Martha » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:37 am

Rolled from here.

Please post and discuss cover art in this thread only. Posts of cover art and discussions of cover art in other threads may be moved to this thread or deleted.

Andre Jurieu

#2 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:44 pm

Eric Anderson's take on Spine #300

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:48 pm

Ah. . . lovely.

Pinback

#4 Post by Pinback » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:14 pm

That really is a great cover...I'm very impressed.

bjeggert82

#5 Post by bjeggert82 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:49 pm

Is this the official cover for A Life Aquatic... The one that will be beneath what is assumably the slip (the slip with the generic cover that looked like the movie poster image)?

If so, it's great. I'm glad they maintained the use of Anderson's art, as with the Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums covers.

Hrossa

#6 Post by Hrossa » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Is it just me, or has Eric Anderson gotten a little bit better artistically since the Rushmore days? I mean, the waves especially as well as the detail involved in the Steve Zissou rendering....

Oh gosh, I d'know...

Where did Andre get that, by the way?

Hey, while I'm at it, why is there another Packaging Babble-On thread now? Is this the one for all the cool kids?

mbalson

#7 Post by mbalson » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:34 pm

Where did Andre get that, by the way?
If you hack the link on Criterion's website and replace any cover images location with spine 300 you'll get it.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#8 Post by cdnchris » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:37 pm

I admit I like the poster art and didn't mind it as the cover art (yet again, I just didn't like all that marketing crap plastered over it.) But that there is damn nice. He has definitely developed his skills. I like the Tenenbaums one but have to admit a small disappointment in it, I guess I was hoping for some of the stuff that was painted on the walls.

But the Aquatic one is pretty cool and I feel happy with it. :)

javelin

#9 Post by javelin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:45 pm

Anyone familiar with Marcel Dzama? Eric Anderson's art reminds me very much of it. And no, I'm not complaining.

.m

Martha

#10 Post by Martha » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:23 am

Hrossa wrote:Hey, while I'm at it, why is there another Packaging Babble-On thread now? Is this the one for all the cool kids?
It's just been rolled. The other one was getting too long and is now locked.

Andre Jurieu

#11 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:10 am

Hrossa wrote:Where did Andre get that, by the way?
At the end of every month I just check out Jun-Dai's website or sometimes 4LOM's website (only lately). Also, if the URLs for previous cover-art are still in my web history I just fiddle around with the last number. Yesterday I just checked out spine #300 for kicks and it turned out to be up.

Hrossa

#12 Post by Hrossa » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:00 pm

javelin wrote:Anyone familiar with Marcel Dzama? Eric Anderson's art reminds me very much of it. And no, I'm not complaining.
I didn't immediately make the connection, but yeah, I do think his stuff is a bit like Marcel Dzama's art. Mostly because of the use of watercolors, pen n' ink, and the lack of any heavy shading. I think it'd be great if Criterion booked Dzama to illustrate some covers, like Godard's Weekend, Made in the U.S.A., or Antonioni's Red Desert.

Actually, come to think of it, Dzama's skills might be best suited for Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, but I'd really like to see that Dzama cover of Weekend.

For those of you in the dark, check out some of his paintings here.

I think I like this painting for the cover of Weekend. It's a little hard to see the detail, but it's fittingly titled Casualties and Hypocrites. (Look for the small girls shooting revolvers in the lower right hand corner.)

(EDIT: Hey, what do you think Andre? Have you seen Marcel around town? Or are you not really from Winnipeg?)

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#13 Post by nick » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:31 pm

I believe it has been mentioned before and I know this isn't a criterion cover but to go along with the discussion on the Life Aquatic Cover art, I thought I would post the cover of Eric Andersons new Novel that is coming soon.

In my opinion it looks pretty damn cool and it sounds like a fun read as well. Check it out on Amazon here.

Andre Jurieu

#14 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:44 pm

Hrossa wrote:Hey, what do you think Andre? Have you seen Marcel around town? Or are you not really from Winnipeg?
Oh, I'm an authentic Winnipeger alright. I've bitched about my hometown enough in the past. There used to be a couple more of us on the forum as well.

I can't really add much more to what you've said about Dzama's artwork, though the most obvious difference between his work and Eric Anderson's is the context of the images - Anderson's being very melancholy, but rather innocent, whereas Dzama's work is much more unnerving. I guess that's why he would work so well as the artist for any Weekend cover-art, but unfortunately Criterion probably won't get a shot at that title. Hopefully something like Made in the U.S.A. is more of a possibility and Criterion will take note of his work.

I haven't had the chance to meet Marcel Dzama in person, since I don't believe he even lives here anymore. He stops in town every so often for exhibits, but they often fly beneath my radar. Dzama (or any other local artist for that matter) definitely isn't as celebrated or publicized here as Maddin. Oddly, I've seen more of Dzama's artwork in other cities (Santa Monica, New York - I was surprised to see his name in the I ♥ NY display, and Toronto) than I have in Winnipeg.

Hrossa

#15 Post by Hrossa » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:37 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:Dzama's work is much more unnerving. I guess that's why he would work so well as the artist for any Weekend cover-art, but unfortunately Criterion probably won't get a shot at that title. Hopefully something like Made in the U.S.A. is more of a possibility and Criterion will take note of his work.
Yeah, I don't keep up too closely with who has the rights to whatever film, but I do know that N. Yorker Films released the VHS copy of Weekend that I saw. I bed Dzama would be happy to do something Criterion. I mean, he's done illustrations for The Believer magazine a time or two. Chances are, a cover for Jules et Jim would only take him about half of an afternoon. He's ridiculously prolific.
Dzama (or any other local artist for that matter) definitely isn't as celebrated or publicized here as Maddin. Oddly, I've seen more of Dzama's artwork in other cities (Santa Monica, New York - I was surprised to see his name in the I ♥ NY display, and Toronto) than I have in Winnipeg.
I wonder why Maddin and Dzama don't team up with each other. I mean, they both seem to be orbiting the same star system somewhere. I wonder if all Winnipegers are obsessed with naked women being groped by bears, incest, Mexican wrestling pictures, and severed heads.

As an aside to this long aside, I'm really curious what these guys: Eric Chase, Jaime Hernandez are getting paid. I guess the only way to find out is to track them down and ask them. Anybody?

Andre Jurieu

#16 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Hrossa wrote: I wonder if all Winnipegers are obsessed with naked women being groped by bears, incest, Mexican wrestling pictures, and severed heads.
Naked women being groped by bears: Probably not. Though, personally, the former category always seems to hold my interest.

Incest: this might be more of an obsession for Maddin's screenwriter. I can't speak for Dzama.

Mexican wrestling pictures: Who isn't?

Severed Heads: Count me out... unless of course the severed heads are groping naked women. Then I'm willing to make an exception.

Hrossa

#17 Post by Hrossa » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:59 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote: severed heads are groping naked women.
How did you figure out the plot of Maddin's next movie?!!?

Martha

#18 Post by Martha » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:47 pm

Jesus you guys. This thread is for talking about PACKAGING and COVER ART. Let's head back that way, please.

javelin

#19 Post by javelin » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:00 am

Yeah everyone: no tangents, please. We wouldn't want this to be like, you know, a discussion or anything.

Smarminess aside (and to bring this mutha' on back) - I love that Criterion is improving the general quality of their cover art. Look at two years ago and compare to today: the principles of composition seem to be understood much better. Anyone agree, disagree?

Napoleon

#20 Post by Napoleon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:50 am

[On topic, the proper 'Life Aquatic' poster is a thing of beauty.

There are plenty of people and places from the film that Eric Anderson could turn his hand to and hopefully there will be some on the disc/in the booklet. I've got my fingers crossed for
SpoilerShow
a 'Tiger Shark'. Preferably eating Esteban.

King of Kong

#21 Post by King of Kong » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:51 pm

The Life Aquatic cover is a treasure. My heartfelt congratulations.

javelin

#22 Post by javelin » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:54 pm

I think this Cover is not good, the margin looks like one of these "Gold Editions" etc. from other lables. :(
I disagree. I'd say it's a very inventive cover by the Criterion gang (anyone know who designed it? My money's on Yang or Skillman.) In addition, it observes most of the conventions of classical design, while introducing a nice sense of asymmetry with the "plaque" in the lower left. High fives all around.

oldsheperd

#23 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:03 pm

That cover is wicked awesome.

Alonzo the Armless

#24 Post by Alonzo the Armless » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:06 pm

That cover works well on so many levels. It captures the theme of the movie as well as grabs the eye.

Cinephrenic

#25 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Amazing. It's like a memorabilia jersey hanging on a wall. Great look and cover.