Criterion Random Speculation Vol.4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
criterionaficionado

#576 Post by criterionaficionado » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:31 am

i must say i felt so gratified at having learned of the upcoming new eclipse box composed of rossellini films. i had just mentioned the need for more films by this master in an earlier post within this forum (april 12 2008 2:21pm). at least i guessed some of the films that will be released. what has me super excited was the news (CC website posting) that larisa shepitko's films will be released as well through eclipse. i saw a really bad copy of ascent where the dialogue was missing many of the subtitles. nonetheless, the movie's amazing images were enough to make you understand and appreciate the powerful, majestic beauty of this emotionally charged masterpiece. rossellini followed by shepitko...best news of the year so far, along with the june/july CC releases. i have already pre-ordered; thief of bagdad, vampyr, mishima: a life in four chapters, high and low, mon oncle antoin, classe tous risques. yes, i will be broke but its worth the money!!!
last night i just watched blast of silence. 1 word: WOW!

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#577 Post by Tribe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Switching gears to von Trier's Europa (Zentropa), the HVE edition of Epidemic appears to have gone out of print (at least at DVD Planet and Deep Discount DVD). It's likely that we'll be seeing a box set from Criterion of von Trier's E Trilogy with those two and Element of Crime.

Gregory

#578 Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:13 pm

Tribe wrote:Switching gears to von Trier's Europa (Zentropa), the HVE edition of Epidemic appears to have gone out of print (at least at DVD Planet and Deep Discount DVD). It's likely that we'll be seeing a box set from Criterion of von Trier's E Trilogy with those two and Element of Crime.
That's just one retailer (with two separate storefronts) and there are a lot of titles they don't stock. Did they ever carry Epidemic?

Tribe

#579 Post by Tribe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Gregory wrote:
Tribe wrote:Switching gears to von Trier's Europa (Zentropa), the HVE edition of Epidemic appears to have gone out of print (at least at DVD Planet and Deep Discount DVD). It's likely that we'll be seeing a box set from Criterion of von Trier's E Trilogy with those two and Element of Crime.
That's just one retailer (with two separate storefronts) and there are a lot of titles they don't stock. Did they ever carry Epidemic?
Yes.

Rupert Pupkin

Re: An aside from the July releases

#580 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Harmonov wrote:Does anyone know of the possibilities that they might release any of the following by John Cassavetes?:

Husbands
Gloria
Minnie & Moskowitz
Love Streams

I know Sony has the rights to Gloria (at least I think they do). Minnie & Moskowitz is now out of print and Anchor Bay had released that DVD. I've never been able to get a copy of either Love Streams or Husbands and would love to see them. I adore the box set that Criterion put out, but it was sorely lacking both Love Streams and Husbands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would have love so much a Criterion treatment as great as the previous Cassavetes box set, because :

- Gloria has only the colour ending and not the original's end in black and white...
- In France we have a great box set with A Child Is Waiting / Love Streams (transfer could have been better but it's pretty good)
- Minnie & Moskowitz has just been liscenced by Mk2 : transfer is excellent and the 2nd DVD features a really interesting and tricky analyse of this movie, + an excellent documentary with Cassevetes...

often many movie licenced by Arte and Mk2 have been released or are planned to be released by Criterion (La jetée, the Louis Malle box set, and on the side of Mk2 all the Truffaut, some Bresson such as Pickpocket, etc...)

Gregory

#581 Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Tribe wrote:
Gregory wrote:
Yes.
That is unusual, then, because normally they would still have a listing for it but it would say "out of stock." It is in stock at DVDPacific, DVDEmpire, Buy.com, Amazon, BestBuy.com, CDUniverse, BestPrices.com, DVDBoxOffice, Newbury Comics, Barnes and Noble, etc.

kaujot

#582 Post by kaujot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Still hoping against hope that The Killing somehow got into Criterion's hands along with House of Games (and the one or two other MGMs. There were others, yes?).

Jeff

#583 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:16 pm

kaujot wrote:Still hoping against hope that The Killing somehow got into Criterion's hands along with House of Games (and the one or two other MGMs. There were others, yes?).
It's been nearly a year since House of Games was announced, and no other MGM titles have followed suit. The speculation regarding future titles was fueled by this:
In the [url=http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6313]House of Games thread[/url], Jameson281 wrote:Fox had nothing to do with this deal; MGM struck it a couple years ago as part of the deal to get Criterion's RAGING BULL commentary. There are 3 or 4 other titles in the deal. I can't reveal what they are, but I will say they are NOT any of the Kubricks, any of the Wilders or anything Criterion released previously on DVD or laser, with one exception.
Any updates about this, Jameson281?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#584 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 pm

I think we're all still praying for Kiss Me Deadly and the Night of the Hunter

jaredsap

#585 Post by jaredsap » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:I think we're all still praying for Kiss Me Deadly and the Night of the Hunter
And SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, of course.

Tribe

#586 Post by Tribe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Gregory wrote:
Tribe wrote:
Gregory wrote: That's just one retailer (with two separate storefronts) and there are a lot of titles they don't stock. Did they ever carry Epidemic?
Yes.
That is unusual, then, because normally they would still have a listing for it but it would say "out of stock." It is in stock at DVDPacific, DVDEmpire, Buy.com, Amazon, BestBuy.com, CDUniverse, BestPrices.com, DVDBoxOffice, Newbury Comics, Barnes and Noble, etc.
DVD Empire had one in stock.

criterionaficionado

#587 Post by criterionaficionado » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:22 pm

if you want a copy of epidemic just buy it already at one of the retailers listed by gregory, otherwise please stick to the topic in the thread. no hard feelings of course.

switching gears...what's the likelihood of paul thomas anderson's hard eight making it to CC along with his early short films? also, sweet smell of success, night of the hunter and kiss me deadly would be AWESOME. but it sounds too good to be true at this point.

jaredsap

#588 Post by jaredsap » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:33 pm

criterionaficionado wrote:switching gears...what's the likelihood of paul thomas anderson's hard eight making it to CC along with his early short films?
The Sony disc is top-notch. As I've said before, PTA doesn't want his formative shorts on DVD.

But I can tell you HARD EIGHT's home video rights could be up for grabs in 2010.

kaujot

#589 Post by kaujot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 pm

jaredsap wrote:The Sony disc is top-notch. As I've said before, PTA doesn't want his formative shorts on DVD.

But I can tell you HARD EIGHT's home video rights could be up for grabs in 2010.
I may be completely wrong on this, but isn't Hard Eight somewhat heavily edited away from PTA's Sydney?

jaredsap

#590 Post by jaredsap » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 pm

kaujot wrote:I may be completely wrong on this, but isn't Hard Eight somewhat heavily edited away from PTA's Sydney?
Nope. HARD EIGHT is PTA's director's cut. The only battle he lost is that he didn't get to call it SYDNEY.

kaujot

#591 Post by kaujot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 pm

jaredsap wrote:Nope. HARD EIGHT is PTA's director's cut. The only battle he lost is that he didn't get to call it SYDNEY.
Ah hah. Many thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#592 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 pm

jaredsap wrote:
kaujot wrote:I may be completely wrong on this, but isn't Hard Eight somewhat heavily edited away from PTA's Sydney?
Nope. HARD EIGHT is PTA's director's cut. The only battle he lost is that he didn't get to call it SYDNEY.
And he couldn't start the film without opening credits because one of the listed names wouldn't sign off on it, even though every other person was okay with it

kaujot

#593 Post by kaujot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Any idea who it was?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#594 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:01 pm

kaujot wrote:Any idea who it was?
He didn't name names but I believe the impression was that it was one of the producers

criterionaficionado

#595 Post by criterionaficionado » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:58 pm

thanks for feedback on my inquiry regarding hard eight's chances of making the CC. i have the sony dvd and it is prety good although not as good as stated earlier.

i was going through the xploitedcinema.com site and i ran across a movie called "the boys in company c". i was thinking of picking it up but have no information on it. it's said to be an influence on kubrick's "full metal jacket". the movie does sound very intriguing. might it be a good CC candidate?
another excellent, worth-while movie (way ahead of its time) i watched several months ago on TCM which would be a cool addition to CC (not just for its social impact as an early example of open homosexual relations being depicted on film) is "the boys in the band". anybody have any info and/or feedback/opinions?

ianungstad

#596 Post by ianungstad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:21 pm

I could see Boys in the Band as a potential title Criterion acquired from Paramount...I don't think anyone has asked Criterion about the title that I know of.

Tribe

#597 Post by Tribe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 am

criterionaficionado wrote:if you want a copy of epidemic just buy it already at one of the retailers listed by gregory, otherwise please stick to the topic in the thread. no hard feelings of course.
I have a copy of Epidemic. And the topic in this thread is speculation...which is what I was doing.

No hard feelings.

criterionaficionado

#598 Post by criterionaficionado » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:46 pm

epidemic is a cool flick and i would welcome a boxset of lars von trier films on CC, the sooner the better. too bad the kingdom parts 1&2 were already released recently on dvd by another company.

to switch gears, thanks ianungstad for your response on my earlier question about boys in the band. I do hope this movie is 1 of the films CC purchased from paramount.

I know this is not the proper forum thread for this, but i have to mention it due to my excitement. i just ordered a dvd copy of 'la roue' (abel gance) which is due to be released early next month. great news for sure. now, i wish napoleon would follow asap.
Last edited by criterionaficionado on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starmanof51

#599 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 pm

criterionaficionado wrote:if you call asking if a movie is oop or not "speculation" than i stand corrected. perhaps you should do a quick search in the proper thread before commenting on the "rumors thread" if a movie is oop or not? just a suggestion.
Oh come on, how is what he said below (the whole point of bringing up the oop title) not speculation? See, he's observing that something looks OOP from one publisher and speculating that Criterion might well box it up. It's pretty obviously in the right thread. (and I'm not going to end with some "just a suggestion" snark)
Tribe wrote:It's likely that we'll be seeing a box set from Criterion of von Trier's E Trilogy with those two and Element of Crime.

Dylan

#600 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:29 pm

criterionaficionado wrote:i was going through the xploitedcinema.com site and i ran across a movie called "the boys in company c". i was thinking of picking it up but have no information on it. it's said to be an influence on kubrick's "full metal jacket". the movie does sound very intriguing. might it be a good CC candidate?
another excellent, worth-while movie (way ahead of its time) i watched several months ago on TCM which would be a cool addition to CC (not just for its social impact as an early example of open homosexual relations being depicted on film) is "the boys in the band". anybody have any info and/or feedback/opinions?
I've read a few reviews of Full Metal Jacket that discuss R. Lee Ermey's famous performance and how it strongly mirrors his earlier performance in The Boys in Company C. It also sounds like an intriguing film. I remember it being on AMC early last year, but being a 2.35:1 film (and being AMC of course it was pan/scan) I decided to wait.