Gangsters Collections

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
John Hodson

#76 Post by John Hodson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56 pm

OliverB wrote:Warner Bros. are not reissuing any of the older sets... the Gangster and Tough Guys Collections are two separate series. Neither are out of print...
Just to underline it Oliver, the official Warners press release for Gangsters Vol. 3 says:
Warner Home Video classic gangster titles currently available:

Warner Bros. Pictures Gangsters Collection Volume 1 (formerly Warner Bros. Pictures Gangsters Collection): The Public Enemy, White Heat, Angels with Dirty Faces, Little Caesar, The Petrified Forest and The Roaring Twenties.
Warner Bros. Pictures Gangsters Collection Volume 2 (formerly Warner Bros. Pictures Tough Guys Collection): Bullets or Ballots, Each Dawn I Die, ‘G' Men, San Quentin, A Slight Case of Murder and City for Conquest

OliverB

#77 Post by OliverB » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:20 pm

Odd... what's the point of doing this?

How would this be in the studio's best interest and why would consumers care about the labeling of the series? This goes against what was specified at the time the Tough Guys Collection was released. The thought behind it was that the series were separate to one another.

Cinephrenic

#78 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:24 pm

What is odd is that some of these films are not actually "gangster" films.

HerrSchreck

#79 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:30 pm

Pretty standard I'd say, since so many so-called "Noirs" are not noirs in so many of the boxsets & "collections" etc.

Or putting EXECUTIVE SUITE in the Stanwyk box.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:54 pm

They can call it the Musical Comedy Set for all I care, I'm just glad the flicks are getting released.

OliverB

#81 Post by OliverB » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:05 pm

But is it enough of a deal for the studios to go to the trouble of ceasing production on the current sets (which have garnered high sales for WHV) and reissuing and repackaging them? I still don't understand why... will anything be altered apart from the design of the sets? Do WB intend to redo all their boxsets in slimline boxes? Does this have any tie-in to the huge 85th anniversary promotional drop that was mentioned in the Bonnie & Clyde p.r.?

souvenir

#82 Post by souvenir » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:14 pm

OliverB wrote:But is it enough of a deal for the studios to go to the trouble of ceasing production on the current sets (which have garnered high sales for WHV) and reissuing and repackaging them? I still don't understand why... will anything be altered apart from the design of the sets? Do WB intend to redo all their boxsets in slimline boxes? Does this have any tie-in to the huge 85th anniversary promotional drop that was mentioned in the Bonnie & Clyde p.r.?
Tune in next week, same blood-soaked time, same bullet-riddled channel!

Warner Bros. haven't used slimcases for months now. The WWII Collection, Vol.2 back in June was in regular keepcases and every set since has been also.

Shouldn't all discussion of the new set be in the other thread, the one that's actually about this release?

Ashirg

#83 Post by Ashirg » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Classic Flix has artwork of the new set.

headacheboy

#84 Post by headacheboy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:24 pm

Has anyone seen this over at amazon? The first link contains the contents for Gangsters Volume 2. Volume 2 contains every single title found on Tough Guys.

Meanwhile here's a link for Gangsters Vol 3. It contains the titles that were mentioned at Classic Flix.

Will it all change tomorrow? Perhaps. Does this mean our Tough Guys box can be sold on eBay for a small fortune? Doubtful, I know. I really didn't like that box much, good thing that I bought it when amazon went crazy and charged $24 or thereabouts.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#85 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:40 am

note: thread title needs to be changed to reflect Vol 3

New cover for Tough Guys set:

Cinephrenic

#86 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Haha...."Formally Tough Guys". I can't believe they actually put that on the cover of volume 2. I would have preferred "new look, same great taste!"

Cold Bishop

#87 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Vol. 3 contains another appearance of the magical hand indigenous to dvd covers.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:57 pm

I just want to know why a ten foot James Cagney is cowering behind Bogart's coattails.

Multi-Region

#89 Post by Multi-Region » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:I just want to know why a ten foot James Cagney is cowering behind Bogart's coattails.
Yeah, and why is Bogey on the cover of all 3 Boxsets, his career really started with HIGH SIERRA in 1941... :? (Cagney and Robinson were already well-known...) Vol. #1 has a new cover-art too:

Belmondo

#90 Post by Belmondo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Multi-Region wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I just want to know why a ten foot James Cagney is cowering behind Bogart's coattails.
Yeah, and why is Bogey on the cover of all 3 Boxsets, his career really started with HIGH SIERRA in 1941... :? (Cagney and Robinson were already well-known...) Vol. #1 has a new cover-art too
Bogart makes the cover because PETRIFIED FOREST (1936) was his breakout performance. He appeared in the Broadway version a year earlier and top billed Leslie Howard insisted that he be given the movie role.
It is true that Hollywood failed to exploit Bogart's depth through the rest of the 1930's; and it wasn't till the early 40's that we got HIGH SIERRA, MALTESE FALCON, and that one with Ingrid that turned Bogart into BOGART.

Mr Sausage

#91 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Belmondo wrote:
Multi-Region wrote:
Yeah, and why is Bogey on the cover of all 3 Boxsets, his career really started with HIGH SIERRA in 1941... :? (Cagney and Robinson were already well-known...) Vol. #1 has a new cover-art too
Bogart makes the cover because PETRIFIED FOREST (1936) was his breakout performance. He appeared in the Broadway version a year earlier and top billed Leslie Howard insisted that he be given the movie role.
It is true that Hollywood failed to exploit Bogart's depth through the rest of the 1930's; and it wasn't till the early 40's that we got HIGH SIERRA, MALTESE FALCON, and that one with Ingrid that turned Bogart into BOGART.
The real reason Bogart is on the cover is to sell more DVDs. He's recognizable and that sells movies.

dx23

#92 Post by dx23 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:24 am

Amazon.com has listed a re-release for this set for 3/25/08. Apparently the dvds now come in thinpack, like Vol 2 and 3.

rohmerin

#93 Post by rohmerin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:40 am

I need information about subtitles in this new pack. Please, if you know, post it.

Gracias.

Gigi M.

#94 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 pm

rohmerin wrote:I need information about subtitles in this new pack. Please, if you know, post it.

Gracias.
Since early last year Warner decided not to include spanish subs on their discs. I don't know why but none of the last sets I've bought have any. Only english and french. Hope that helps.

rohmerin

#95 Post by rohmerin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 am

So, I'll wait untill the European release. These gangster WB arrive, but film noir from WB NEVER, NEVER arrive here. I hate the new policy of WB.

I expect news for the new pre-code film. I'll buy them even if they have English subt. because it's very difficult they'll be released in Spain.

Saludos.

MichaelB

#96 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:46 am

Belmondo wrote:Bogart makes the cover because PETRIFIED FOREST (1936) was his breakout performance. He appeared in the Broadway version a year earlier and top billed Leslie Howard insisted that he be given the movie role.
All completely true, and Bogart was so grateful to Howard for effectively giving him a career that nearly twenty years later he named his daughter Leslie in sadly posthumous tribute.

Incidentally, Leslie Howard is one of the most truly admirable people ever to work in the film industry - quite aside from his crucial championing of Bogart, he flew back to Britain in September 1939, and devoted the rest of his sadly curtailed life to helping the war effort in any way he could, shooting documentaries and propaganda films as well as fiction features. And he could easily have stayed in Hollywood: his last American film was Gone with the Wind!

zone_resident

#97 Post by zone_resident » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:42 pm

manicsounds

#98 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:44 am

So according to Savant, Keep Cases? Not Slim Cases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#99 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:44 pm

manicsounds wrote:So according to Savant, Keep Cases? Not Slim Cases.
Beaver confirms

devlinnn

#100 Post by devlinnn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 am

rohmerin wrote:So, I'll wait untill the European release. These gangster WB arrive, but film noir from WB NEVER, NEVER arrive here. I hate the new policy of WB.
The majority of the Warner film noirs were RKO productions, which are owned in the main by Universal outside the USA.