56 The 39 Steps

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

56 The 39 Steps

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:14 pm

The 39 Steps

Image Image

A heart-racing spy story by Alfred Hitchcock, The 39 Steps follows Richard Hannay (Robert Donat) as he stumbles upon a conspiracy that thrusts him into a hectic chase across the Scottish moors—a chase in which he is both the pursuer and the pursued—as well as into an unexpected romance with the cool Pamela (Madeline Carroll). Adapted from a novel by John Buchan, this classic wrong-man thriller from the Master of Suspense anticipates the director’s most famous works (especially North by Northwest), and remains one of his cleverest and most entertaining films.

Disc Features

- New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary by Alfred Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane
- Hitchcock: The Early Years (2000), a British documentary covering the director’s prewar career
- Original footage from British broadcaster Mike Scott’s 1966 television interview with Hitchcock
- Complete broadcast of the 1937 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, starring Ida Lupino and Robert Montgomery
- New visual essay by Hitchcock scholar Leonard Leff
- Audio excerpts from François Truffaut’s 1962 interviews with Hitchcock
- Original production design drawings
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Cairns

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

bcsparker

#2 Post by bcsparker » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:17 pm

I must say, primarily having seen only Hitch's later works, I thought The 39 Steps was a pleasant find. There are some genuinely suspenseful sequence. Also, the two leads' back-and-forth relationship is still quite engaging and humorous, more so than many 30s films.

And the special on Hitch's British period is very good.

videozor

#3 Post by videozor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:03 pm

How good is this DVD?

It is recommended by DVD Beaver, but take a look at the spine number - almost everything in the first 100 was already updated (by CC itself or other label) or put OOP.

Any indication 39 Steps could be upgraded in the nearest future or this is safe to buy?

MilkManX

#4 Post by MilkManX » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:24 pm

I just watched this film last night. Amazing for such a vintage film. Felt very modern and the suspense was gripping. There was only one scene that felt odd or didnt belong and that was the 30's style sped up race in the Scottland hills. Other than that the movie was flat out amazing.

Spunky714

The Art of Film

#5 Post by Spunky714 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:21 am

Just watched the disc and it's great.

I was wondering if any other parts from "The Art of Film" series have ended up elsewhere in the collection, or at least some type of outline as to what was highlighted in other pieces.

Thanks
S714

bennybizzle

#6 Post by bennybizzle » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm

I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of this film. I think that it holds up very well to Hitchcock's other films that are heaped with praise. Robert Donat was excellent as always, and I really liked how this movie didn't take itself too seriously. I'd would definitely love a re-release of this disc possibly with commentary, but I won't hold my breath.

Narshty

#7 Post by Narshty » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:25 pm

bennybizzle wrote:I'd would definitely love a re-release of this disc possibly with commentary, but I won't hold my breath.
??

It has a commentary (admittedly by Marian Keane, but...)

bennybizzle

#8 Post by bennybizzle » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:33 pm

Hah, how stupid of me. She is probably the reason that I completely forgot about the commentary on this. I guess this wouldn't really be a good candidate for a re-release then.

tryavna

#9 Post by tryavna » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:23 pm

I actually found this to be the most interesting of Keane's commentaries. That may not be saying much, but still....

By the way, Benny, the reason there aren't many comments posted in this thread (and other threads for the early Criterion releases) is that they were lost in an earlier incarnation of this forum.

psufootball07

#10 Post by psufootball07 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:25 pm

I saw this yesterday, and it is by far my favorite of the British Hitchcock era. You could feel his prints on this more so than Blackmail or Murder. Would like to check out the Lodger soon. I heard someone thought this would possibly get re-issued, but I felt that the picture quality as well as extras available complemented the film extremely well. Would like to see the 3 OOP Hitchcock's get re-released. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find out today they have the CC releases available in my library, so even if they never get another CC version, I can always re-visit them on my time.

kaujot

#11 Post by kaujot » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:31 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Would like to see the 3 OOP Hitchcock's get re-released. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find out today they have the CC releases available in my library, so even if they never get another CC version, I can always re-visit them on my time.
They're being released by someone (Fox or Universal, I think) with some pretty good extras (and horrible covers).

cana7cl

#12 Post by cana7cl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 pm

kaujot wrote:
psufootball07 wrote:Would like to see the 3 OOP Hitchcock's get re-released. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find out today they have the CC releases available in my library, so even if they never get another CC version, I can always re-visit them on my time.
They're being released by someone (Fox or Universal, I think) with some pretty good extras (and horrible covers).
They are going to be rereleased by MGM in the 8-disc Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection Boxed Set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 pm

The OOP CCs will also be available individually. Good time to sell your Rebeccas or your Notoriouses...to me. :oops:

NeoF

Re: 56 The 39 Steps

#14 Post by NeoF » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

I've just read a review from the Blu-ray transfer that's coming out Oct. 19 in the UK (not from Criterion anyway). The reviewer was very dissapointed. Maybe this one will have to wait for a better transfer. You can read the review here.

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:30 pm

New specs.

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Audio commentary by Alfred Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane
Hitchcock: The Early Years (2000), a British documentary covering Hitchcock’s prewar career
Original footage from British broadcaster Mike Scott’s 1966 television interview with Hitchcock
Complete broadcast of the 1937 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, performed by Ida Lupino and Robert Montgomery
Visual essay by Hitchcock scholar Leonard Leff
Excerpts from François Truffaut’s 1962 audio interview with Hitchcock
Original production design drawings
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Cairns

duck duck

#16 Post by duck duck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:32 am

So does anyone know the difference between "Hitchcock: The Early Years" and the Original release's doc "The Art Of Film: Vintage Hitchcock"?
Vintage is from the 1999 release and "early years" is said to be 2000... Both claim to be about the director's "British Period"...

Jeff

#17 Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:08 am

duck duck wrote:So does anyone know the difference between "Hitchcock: The Early Years" and the Original release's doc "The Art Of Film: Vintage Hitchcock"?
Vintage is from the 1999 release and "early years" is said to be 2000... Both claim to be about the director's "British Period"...
The Art Of Film: Vintage Hitchcock was one episode of the multipart documentary series The Art of Film that Janus produced in the mid-70s. It's a shame it's not being retained for the new disc, and I'll probably keep my old copy of The 39 Steps just for this. The 16mm series was a film-school staple at one time. Criterion should release the whole series on a DVD with the original study guide as the booklet. Here's 70s Janus employee Jeff Lieberman's voiceover recording sessions with Rod Serling. Could listen to Serling's voice all day. Even awesome when he says, "Do that again. I rattled the fucking table."

Hitchcock: The Early Years is a contemporary DVD featurette. It was included on the 2001 Carlton release of The 39 Steps.

Noiretirc

#18 Post by Noiretirc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:33 am

Someone please explain how the ratings work for poor hapless me: ie this edition isn't released yet, but we already have ratings for the extras, picture, audio etc.

Minkin

#19 Post by Minkin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 am

Noiretirc wrote:Someone please explain how the ratings work for poor hapless me: ie this edition isn't released yet, but we already have ratings for the extras, picture, audio etc.
That's a leftover from the previous release. Usually they get cleared and the Bluray and DVD get their own ratings. Chris or a mod just hasn't reset it yet.

Back on topic, anyone hazard a guess as to why the Janus documentary was dropped? Perhaps the full series will have its' own release? Either way, seems weird. Perhaps that team-up with the film textbook might mean something. IDK, i'm just wasting space to make this relevant to 39 steps.

Noiretirc

#20 Post by Noiretirc » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:15 am

Another aside if I may, but this DVD was in HMV here 2 weeks ago. Criterion, that cover art, mid April. How?

manicsounds

#21 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 28, 2012 3:53 am

TMDaines

#22 Post by TMDaines » Mon May 28, 2012 6:00 am

Looks like they'll have to be some positive spin on this video transfer from some after absolutely shitting on the ITV one!

colinr0380

#23 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:57 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#24 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Criterion also offer optional English subtitles and the Blu-ray disc is, predictably, region 'B'-locked.
Oh, Tooze!

Mr Sausage

The 39 Steps (Alfred Hitchcock, 1935)

#25 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, APRIL 27th AT 6:30 AM.

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

***PM me if you have any suggestions for additions or just general concerns and questions.***