IMDb Missing Entries

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Person

#26 Post by Person » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 pm

I submitted Death and the Cherry Tree. Give it about 3-4 weeks.

SalParadise

#27 Post by SalParadise » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Two more suggestions for IMDb:

1. As everyone will know there are 3 denoters for non-'cinema' entires:
(V) for direct to video. (VG) for video game. (TV) for television broadcast.
Why not add (MV) for Music Video?!

2. If you want to add a photo of an actor or crewmember you must pay a fee, okay fair enough. BUT! wouldn't it make sense to waive the fee if the crewmember is dead?! Then all the fans could know what people like Roland Totheroh and Max Steiner look like!

Person

#28 Post by Person » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:43 pm

IMDb sent me an automatic email stating that Death and the Cherry Tree may possible be rejected due to insufficient info.

Kinsayder

#29 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:15 pm

There are some more details, including crew, on this Lithuanian site. The film itself is currently on Usenet.

sienel

#30 Post by sienel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I wasn't a new contributor -- I had had at least five changes accepted already. ;~{
Okay, okay - how about "relatively inexperienced contributor"? :)

Di dao zhan is up on the IMDb now.

SalParadise

#31 Post by SalParadise » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:37 am

Thanks again Sienel! You are a true cinema fan!

If you have the interest you can compare these two pages of the same director. A guy called WU Ziniu. I noticed him because his first film involved the master composer Tan Dun.

On IMDb, he has directing credits for only 8 films, but on Dianying he has 13 directing credits!

Cinetwist

#32 Post by Cinetwist » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:35 am

I was surprised to find that the documentary, Ten Days That Shook the World isn't on imdb.

It's a documentary narrated by Orson Welles and has newsreel footage, interviews and a handful of clips from Eisenstein's films, Strike and October.

I think it's been released by VCI and Facets on video.

sienel

#33 Post by sienel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:26 am

Cinetwist wrote:I was surprised to find that the documentary, Ten Days That Shook the World isn't on imdb.

It's a documentary narrated by Orson Welles and has newsreel footage, interviews and a handful of clips from Eisenstein's films, Strike and October.
I've just submitted this one. (The film is available for viewing online here if anyone's interested.)

The missing WU Ziniu titles are going to take a bit longer - trying to dig up enough information is more difficult when dealing with varying transliterations.

Oct 21 update: Ten Days That Shook the World is live. Three of the missing Wu Ziniu titles are live, and I've just submitted the other two missing director credits (along with the missing writer credits).

Kinsayder

#34 Post by Kinsayder » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:50 pm

No entry for François Ede's Playtime Story (2002), though Ede's Chaplin Today: The Circus (2003) is listed.

sienel

#35 Post by sienel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:01 pm

Kinsayder wrote:No entry for François Ede's Playtime Story (2002)
I've submitted this, but I wasn't able to find much information so I don't know if it'll be accepted.

Death and the Cherry Tree is up now, as are all the missing Wu Ziniu titles.

ogygia avenue

#36 Post by ogygia avenue » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:10 pm

The IMDb hasn't added "The Boy Who Liked Deer", one of Barbara Loden's rare post-Wanda shorts, in spite of the fact that it's surfaced on YouTube. Because of its unusual release schedule -- it never screened in theatres or (to my knowledge) was broadcast on TV -- they don't know how to handle it. (She has another short from this period, "The Frontier Experience", that hasn't resurfaced anywhere.)

sienel

#37 Post by sienel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:40 am

ogygia avenue wrote:The IMDb hasn't added "The Boy Who Liked Deer", one of Barbara Loden's rare post-Wanda shorts, in spite of the fact that it's surfaced on YouTube. Because of its unusual release schedule -- it never screened in theatres or (to my knowledge) was broadcast on TV -- they don't know how to handle it. (She has another short from this period, "The Frontier Experience", that hasn't resurfaced anywhere.)
I've sent this one in. If it gets added I'll try sending The Frontier Experience in as well.

Playtime Story is up now.

Kinsayder

#38 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:39 am

sienel wrote:Death and the Cherry Tree is up now...

Thanks for these. It's odd, though, that IMDb haven't linked either of these films to their directors.

sienel

#39 Post by sienel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Kinsayder wrote:
sienel wrote:Death and the Cherry Tree is up now...

Thanks for these. It's odd, though, that IMDb haven't linked either of these films to their directors.
The IMDb splits the submission up between different section managers, and they each have varying backlogs. And the cast, crew, etc information doesn't even get sent to the section managers until after the new-title manager has determined that the title is eligible for listing. So depending on those backlogs it can take anywhere from a couple days to several weeks for all the information in a submission to show up.

edited Nov 5: The Boy Who Liked Deer has been added.

edited Nov 11: The Frontier Experience is up.

Knappen

#40 Post by Knappen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:39 pm

I'd like an entry for a brand new documentary on Arletty:

Arletty: Lady Paname (Yves Riou 2007)

52 min

Interviews with Arletty, Jacques Prévert, Henri Jeanson etc.

sienel

#41 Post by sienel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Knappen wrote:I'd like an entry for a brand new documentary on Arletty:

Arletty: Lady Paname (Yves Riou 2007)

52 min

Interviews with Arletty, Jacques Prévert, Henri Jeanson etc.
Submitted. The title should be up within a week, with all the cast/crew/etc I could find added sometime later.

Knappen

#42 Post by Knappen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks.

I forgot to mention Jean-Claude Brialy and french tv's ciné-host Frédéric Mitterrand among the interviewees.

SoyCuba

#43 Post by SoyCuba » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:18 am

Not a missing title, but Sunrise is missing Hugo Riesenfeld's credit for the score.

sienel

#44 Post by sienel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:40 pm

Arletty, Lady Paname is up now.
SoyCuba wrote:Not a missing title, but Sunrise is missing Hugo Riesenfeld's credit for the score.
Would I be correct in assuming that his name was not listed onscreen at the time of release?

SoyCuba

#45 Post by SoyCuba » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:59 pm

sienel wrote:
SoyCuba wrote:Not a missing title, but Sunrise is missing Hugo Riesenfeld's credit for the score.
Would I be correct in assuming that his name was not listed onscreen at the time of release?
True, his name was not listed. So it should be on IMDb as Hugo Riesenfeld (uncredited).

Cinetwist

#46 Post by Cinetwist » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:05 am

Inauguration of the San Marco Campanile (1912) dir. Charles Urban.

Tea Time (1937) - Lumiere - Lumicolor experiment (not sure what imdbs position on later experiments is - important name though).

Wonderland of California (c. 1930) - a very strange curiosity. Shouldn't be too hard to submit as it contains a cameo from the Marx Brothers. Completely surreal.

Knappen

#47 Post by Knappen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 am

I recently checked the list of films produced by the german company Continental that was established under WW2 (their most famous film being Le Corbeau). This company is listed on the IMDB as Continental Films.
At least one movie, Le Club des soupirants, seems to have been placed under a wrongContinental. Could this be fixed? The number of Continental completists is growing!

sienel

#48 Post by sienel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 pm

I've sent in Hugo Riesenfeld's Sunrise credit and the company correction for Le Club des soupirants.

Since there's so little info available online I'm holding off on sending in the shorts from Les Premiers pas du Cinema: Un Reve en Couleur (Inauguration of the San Marco Campanile, Tea Time, and Wonderland of California) until I can get ahold of the DVD set.

SalParadise

#49 Post by SalParadise » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 pm

A question of accuracy

IMDb's entry for Terrence Malick says he was born in Waco, Texas. Yet, wikipedia says he was born in Illinois. I wonder which is correct, probably wikipedia...

Knappen

#50 Post by Knappen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:35 am

Trying hard to keep up with Kinsayder and dbdumonteil to be the hardest working Duvivierist on the internet...

This time my post concerns a redundant title and not a missing entry.

IMDB gives La Vénus du collège (1932) as a film directed by Julien Duvivier. For a while I wondered if it could be a lost short. Reading Eric Bonnefille's extremely well documented Julien Duvivier - Le mal aimant du cinéma français today I learned however that this was a sketch for a ("stupid" according to D.) script written by the director who wanted to make a new film with Marie Glory. He presented the script to the producers Vandal and Delac who quite liked it, but the project never saw the light of day. It should therefore be moved from his filmography. The origin of the project's status as a "lost film" seems to have been it's presence on Pierre Leprohon's Duvivier list in L'Anthologie de l'Avant-scène.

Duvivier's script was the basis for Amours, délices et orgues, however, and he should probably be credited for this even though it doesn't seem to be a movie that adds to his glory according to db.