36 The Wages of Fear

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

36 The Wages of Fear

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:18 pm

The Wages of Fear

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1319/36_box_348x490_w100.jpg[/img]

In a squalid South American oil town, four desperate men sign on for a suicide mission to drive trucks loaded with nitroglycerin over a treacherous mountain route. As they ferry their explosive cargo to a faraway oil fire, each bump and jolt tests their courage, their friendship, and their nerves. The result is one of the greatest thrillers ever committed to celluloid, a white-knuckle ride from France's legendary master of suspense, Henri-Georges Clouzot.

AVAILABLE IN BOTH DOUBLE-DVD AND BLU-RAY EDITIONS:

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- New video interviews with assistant director Michel Romanoff and Henri-Georges Clouzot biographer Marc Godin
- Interview with Yves Montand from 1988
- Henri Georges Clouzot: An Enlightened Tyrant, a 2004 documentary on the director's career
- Censored, an analysis of cuts to the film made for the 1955 U.S. release
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A 24-page booklet featuring a new essay by novelist Dennis Lehane and a compilation of interviews with the cast and crew of the film

Original DVD:
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
New DVD:

Blu-ray:

Last edited by Martha on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Wed May 11, 2005 4:16 am

From criterion.com:
Wages of Fear to Be Rereleased in Late 2005

The original Criterion edition of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s masterpiece of suspense Wages of Fear will be taken out of print on May 16 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film. The rerelease, due out in late 2005, will feature a brilliant transfer from newly restored film elements. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months!

Gordon

#3 Post by Gordon » Wed May 11, 2005 4:44 am

I just read that over at their site. Absurd good news. One of my most-favourite films. Wonderful news. I emailed Mulvaney about two months ago about a possible boxed set of Wages and Friedkin's massively underrated, Sorcerer and I was informed that it would be passed on acquisitions. I doubt it will happen, but bigger surprises have happened with Criterion! Both films badly need new transfers, sound restoration/remix and, of course, meaty extras.

In a year of exciting Criterion developments, this is the best so far, for me.

BWilson

#4 Post by BWilson » Wed May 11, 2005 1:08 pm

Well, Sorcerer is a Universal title. So it is possible.

Cinephrenic

#5 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 11, 2005 2:22 pm

They have just released this on dvd, I don't know why this keeps coming up.

Gordon

#6 Post by Gordon » Wed May 11, 2005 3:06 pm

They have just released this on dvd, I don't know why this keeps coming up.

I do not understand this statement. Universal's current DVD of Sorcerer is their 1998 disc that used the cropped (from 1.85 hard-matte) Laserdisc master. There was a new listining at Amazon for a March release, but that disc was just the same as the pre-existing disc - nothing new.

If The Jerk (which I love) can get a new anamorphic transfer and extras, then surely we can expect a SE of Sorcerer. I'd love to hear Friedkin's thoughts on the film.

Cinephrenic

#7 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 11, 2005 8:31 pm

The movie is out on dvd by Universal.

Gordon

#8 Post by Gordon » Thu May 12, 2005 2:10 am

The movie is out on dvd by Universal.
Yes... but so was Spartacus, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Videodrome, etc.

Am I missing something here and making a fool of myself over and over again? Wouldn't be the first time!

BWilson

#9 Post by BWilson » Thu May 12, 2005 1:21 pm

cinephrenic wrote:The movie is out on dvd by Universal.
It's one of their single poorest releases. Pan and Scan and featureless. It needs to be revisited by someone. If you are happy with the current version or don't care, that's just fine, but don't rain on the parade of those of us that do care.

Cinephrenic

#10 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu May 12, 2005 5:30 pm

What is up with you people. All I was just saying was that it was currently in print. I said nothing regarding its edition. I wish Criterion could get their hands on it. If it was out-of-print, then that would be a different story. We can post all day on why Criterion should release it and the whole rights issue. I'm not raining on anyone.

Gordon

#11 Post by Gordon » Fri May 13, 2005 5:48 am

I now understand what you are talking about, cinephrenic. Your initial statement was vague and I mislead myself.

Criterion or Universal, I don't care, the bottom line is that Sorcerer fully deserves a SE with a new anamorphic transfer.

Andre Jurieu

#12 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri May 13, 2005 11:42 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Criterion or Universal, I don't care, the bottom line is that Sorcerer fully deserves a SE with a new anamorphic transfer.
Yeah, I think we're just now starting to understand your position on the film.

Gordon

#13 Post by Gordon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:50 pm

It would be cool if William Friedkin gave an introduction, though: there is no greater fan of the film than he, although there are hundreds of filmmakers who greatly admire the film.

It's pretty frustrating that Marc Godin's Clouzot is not available in an English translation, as I am sure it is superb. I think I am right in saying that it is the only bio on this giant of Cinema. There ar also very few critical books (in English) on his films, also. Maybe Ginette Vincendeau is working on one!

To me, Le Salaire de la peur is the first 'modern' action film, but it is most definitely more just that, it belongs to that rarest of genres: the psychological action epic. The set pieces remain benchmarks in Cinema. I am so glad it is finally getting the deluxe treatment.

FilmFanSea

#14 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:03 am

OK, this is way off-topic, but ...

Stephen Sondheim just purchased my used copy of Wages of Fear through Amazon Marketplace. Now, I'm one of the last people to gush over celebrities, but this man's a frickin genius. Glad my DVD is going to a good home.

Sorry, I just had to share this really insignificant brush with fame.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#15 Post by Godot » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:07 am

Brian,
how much of a genius can he be if he's buying an inferior, years-old bare-bones version of the film, when a brand spanking new digitally-remastered version with extras will be available (for nearly the same price if he's a wary internet shopper) in a few months? An impatient genius? Or maybe an impatient genius who doesn't keep up with the DVD release schedule and internet forums that cover such minutae?

In any case, you come off as superior to this genius, at least in your DVD collecting strategic management skills.

Martha

#16 Post by Martha » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:16 am

Godot wrote:An impatient genius? Or maybe an impatient genius who doesn't keep up with the DVD release schedule and internet forums that cover such minutae?
Maybe he's a rabid completist.

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:14 am

Maybe he's in the throes of writing a comedic musical based on the film.

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#18 Post by Godot » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:50 am

matt wrote:Maybe he's in the throes of writing a comedic musical based on the film.
Perhaps Sunday in the Park with Henri-Georges Clouzot?

FilmFanSea

#19 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:25 pm

Godot wrote:
matt wrote:Maybe he's in the throes of writing a comedic musical based on the film.
Perhaps Sunday in the Park with Henri-Georges Clouzot?
About the creation of a famous pointillist crude oil painting?

Godot
Cri me a Tearion

#20 Post by Godot » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:52 pm

Sunday in the Oil Fields with Henri-Georges

A misunderstood and struggling director (Philip Baker Hall) toils over his latest film project, about a group of men hired to transport precious paintings over mountainous roads frought with danger, trying to beat a submission deadline at a promising gallery. The director's wife (Amy Irving) tries to encourage him behind the scenes, but ends up running off with the town baker. The director clashes with his five actors (Mandy Patinkin as Mario, Alec Baldwin as Bimba, Eli Wallach as old Jo, Paul Rodriquez as Bernardo, and Colin Farrell as Hernandez) as they debate the merit of pointillist painting technique amid the heat and putrid filming conditions. Featuring such hit songs as:

My Cockroach Cantina
Keep Coming Back, Keep Coming Back ... Stop!
Okay, Slow and Steady
Mopping Your Brow
Holy $%&#, Look Out!
Jo, Where's your Leg?
Black Gold

toiletduck!

#21 Post by toiletduck! » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:12 am

Godot wrote:Keep Coming Back, Keep Coming Back ... Stop!
I've been singing this in my head for the last twenty minutes... no other lines, no real tune persay, just a frenetic and constant "Keep coming back, keep coming back - STOP!"

Much thanks, Godot.... :|

-Toilet Dcuk

Jaime_Weinman

#22 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:58 am

Isn't it grim?
Isn't it gloom?
Who can you call on to ship
Things that go boom?
Send in the trucks.
They're rough and tough,
They're not too nice,
Though they've been paid for this trip,
They'll pay the price.
Where are the trucks?
Send in the trucks.
Look at them frown,
Driving that load,
Hoping they don't hit a snag or a bump in the road.
See the suspense slowly build to the big final trick.
Then, in the tub --
Sorry, wrong flick.
Isn't it strange?
It would appear
My DVDs obsolescent
As of this year.
So send in the trucks,
That film with the trucks,
The Wages of Fear.

FilmFanSea

#23 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:50 pm

Well done, Jaime. =D>

Off-topic recommended reading:
From Jaime's excellent blog: Why Sondheim Can't Write a Love Song

Gordon

#24 Post by Gordon » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:18 am

I reckon that this will be a 2-disc. The interviews are sure to amount to over 40 minutes and with the feature being 147-minutes, it is probably wise to place the extras on a second disc. Look at the Divorce, Italian Style 2-disc: the extras are slim there, also. This film cries out for a commentary and would also make up for the lack of analysis on the otherwise excellent Criterion Clouzot DVDs, Le Corbeau and Quai des Orfèvres.

The main reason for getting this amazing film, will be the new, restored transfer, as the previous LD-ported DVD has one of Criterion's weakest audio-visual presentations. You really need to see the grime on Yves' face!
Henri Georges Clouzot: An Enlightened Tyrant
Very interesting! Although, I cannot find any information regarding this documentary on Google. It may have been specially made for or by Criterion for this DVD.

richast2

#25 Post by richast2 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:35 pm

you know, I absolutely love this movie (even moreso than Diabolique, but that's a topic for another time), but good GOD how I hate the ending. No spoilers, but damn...for about 145 minutes I'd been riveted by these characters and then...it ends with THAT?!

oh well, I'm pumped about this re-issue. this is one film I'll have no qualms about double-dipping on.