20 Sid & Nancy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

20 Sid & Nancy

#1 Post by Martha » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:47 pm

Sid & Nancy

Image Image

With the lacerating love story Sid & Nancy, Alex Cox reimagines the crash-and-burn affair between punk's most notorious self-destructive poster children: Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious and his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen—brought to visceral life by brilliant performances from Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb. Cox turns his anarchic filmmaking style on the explosive energy of the London punk scene and the degenerate streets of seventies New York, making for an eviscerating depiction of excess and addiction. Through the lens of cinematographer Roger Deakins, the imagery goes from swooning to grimy, and the film's bleakness is balanced with surreal humor and genuine tenderness, making for an affecting, music-fueled vision of doomed love.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
• Two audio commentaries: one from 1994 featuring cowriter Abbe Wool, actors Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb, cultural historian Greil Marcus, filmmakers Julien Temple and Lech Kowalski, and musician Eliot Kidd; the other from 2001 featuring cowriter-director Alex Cox and actor Andrew Schofield
England's Glory, a 1987 documentary on the making of Sid & Nancy
• Infamous 1976 Bill Grundy interview with the Sex Pistols on British television
• Rare telephone interview from 1978 with Sid Vicious
• Interviews with Vicious and Nancy Spungen from the 1980 documentary D.O.A.: A Right of Passage
• Archival interviews and footage
• More!
• PLUS: An essay by author Jon Savage and a 1986 piece compiled by Cox about Vicious, Spungen, and the making of the film

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

emcflat

#2 Post by emcflat » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:42 pm

To anyone who owns this DVD, would you please give me your thoughts on the extra content included? I am now reluctantly considering whether or not I am willing to shell out OOP prices for this one, because I love the movie so much (romanticised though it may be.)

Failing that, anyone think there is a chance of a new special edition of this, maybe now that all the MGM stuff is changing hands? Knowing there is available extras for this just makes me that much more reluctant to buy the bare-bones MGM version.

Fletch F. Fletch

#3 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:08 am

emcflat wrote:To anyone who owns this DVD, would you please give me your thoughts on the extra content included? I am now reluctantly considering whether or not I am willing to shell out OOP prices for this one, because I love the movie so much (romanticised though it may be.)

Failing that, anyone think there is a chance of a new special edition of this, maybe now that all the MGM stuff is changing hands? Knowing there is available extras for this just makes me that much more reluctant to buy the bare-bones MGM version.
If you're a fan of the movie, it's worth it. The making of doc is quite good but the real treat is the vintage Bill Grundy interview with the Sex Pistols that caused all the fuss in the UK press the next day. Also, the audio commentary is very, very good -- loads of info, fascinating observations and anecdotal material -- esp. from Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb who don't usually do commentary tracks.

THX1378

#4 Post by THX1378 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:44 am

If you can find it I'd pick it up for the right price. The commentary is very well done because it's pretty much no holds bar about what is romanticist and what is the truth in the film. It even has some great info from Eliot Kidd about whom he thinks could have killed Nancy. Does anyone know what was left off the DVD from the laser? I think there was somethings left off the DVD that were on the laser.

JHunter

#5 Post by JHunter » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:27 am

Does anyone know what was left off the DVD from the laser? I think there was somethings left off the DVD that were on the laser.
I believe there were a pair of photo essays and a music video.

GulleyJimson

#6 Post by GulleyJimson » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:50 pm

If you have a region-free DVD player, you may want to consider the R2 release, particularly as Amazon UK have it on sale at the moment.

It has different extras from the Criterion disc: an Alex Cox video interview, a new audio commentary from Alex Cox and actor Andrew Schofield ('Johnny Rotten'), and a 64 page 'making of' booklet.

What A Disgrace

#7 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:15 pm

I'm aware that the Criterion is still the best version to own, but that price is a steal. Ordered.

mingus

#8 Post by mingus » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 am

GulleyJimson wrote:..., and a 64 page 'making of' booklet.
As far as i know that booklet was just included with the first printing because when i order this DVD a few month ago it was missing. Nevertheless a pretty good deal.

dx23

#9 Post by dx23 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:33 pm

Amazon.com has a listing on a new Special Edition coming on October 9th and released by MGM.

Ashirg

#10 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Let's hope it includes Criterion extras and Criterion gets to release another title from MGM...

Luke M

#11 Post by Luke M » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:57 pm

Ashirg wrote:Let's hope it includes Criterion extras and Criterion gets to release another title from MGM...
...Night of the Hunter, please.

I'm looking forward to this release hopefully it's a new transfer and loaded with goodies.

miless

#12 Post by miless » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 am

Luke M wrote:...Night of the Hunter, please.
or their Kubrick titles

Cronenfly

#13 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:09 pm

dx23 wrote:Amazon.com has a listing on a new Special Edition coming on October 9th and released by MGM.
Anybody know WTF happened to this? It seems to have been cancelled.

dadaistnun

#14 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Cronenfly wrote:
dx23 wrote:Amazon.com has a listing on a new Special Edition coming on October 9th and released by MGM.

Anybody know WTF happened to this? It seems to have been cancelled.

I noticed it in the Best Buy circular this week listed at a "Best Buy exclusive."

Cronenfly

#15 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:15 pm

Hmm...does anyone actually have a copy in their hands?

tryavna

#16 Post by tryavna » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Some folks over at DVD Talk apparently do. (Scroll down several posts.)

Cronenfly

#17 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:29 pm

I don't get this: no one is concretely listing it in Canada anymore. The Best Buy exclusive appears to just be the slipcover (according to the DVD Talk forums), but that doesn't explain the lack of availability elsewhere (re: Amazon.com, etc not listing it anymore). Anybody know what's up with this release?
EDIT- Listing on Amazon.ca now...with 4-6 weeks for shipping and at a mediocre price ($20.76 plus shipping and tax) . Can anybody recommend a way to get it more reasonably/faster in Canada?
EDIT- DVD Planet is now listing this as coming out October 23...Any chance that release date is the one for retailers other than Best Buy?

patrick

#18 Post by patrick » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 pm

Here are the special features for the "special edition":
My Way - The Making of Sid and Nancy
Love Kills - The Real Life of Sid and Nancy
The Hotel Chelsea - If These Walls Could Talk!
Looks like a crap repackaging.

Rich Malloy

#19 Post by Rich Malloy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:26 pm

So, still no reviews of the new release (other than the worthless Digital Bits one)?

Cronenfly

#20 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:14 pm

I had absolutely given up on ever finding a copy of the MGM 30th AE (it seemed to be lost in the aether of US BB exclusivity), but just today I stumbled across about 5 copies at a Future Shop (in Canada) for $15 apiece. However, if the transfer's shit, then I'm not interested (the special features certainly don't look to be worth the investment), and looking at the DVD Talk thread (and doing a Google search) I could come up with no detailed info on the quality of the AE's transfer. Does anyone have this/can comment upon the quality of the transfer? I would appreciate it very much.

Fesapo

England's Glory (Martin Turner)

#21 Post by Fesapo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:34 am

I've searched the IMDB for the documentary entitled "England's Glory" by Martin Turner which accompanies the "Sid & Nancy" Criterion Collection DVD but I don't believe an entry exists. Would someone who has the OOP DVD be willing to supply the information? Thanks!

MichaelB

Re: England's Glory

#22 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 am

Fesapo wrote:I've searched the IMDB for the documentary entitled "England's Glory" by Martin Turner which accompanies the "Sid & Nancy" Criterion Collection DVD but I don't believe an entry exists. Would someone who has the OOP DVD be willing to supply the information? Thanks!
What information are you after? It's in the BFI Film and TV Database, but only says that it's directed by Martin Turner and is about the making of Sid and Nancy, which I assume you already know. It was made in 1986, but there's no TV transmission date.

Fesapo

#23 Post by Fesapo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 am

My apologies for not having been more specific. The information to which I was referring was anything pertinent for creating a detailed IMDB entry, just for the sake of completeness and being thorough.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 20 Sid & Nancy

#24 Post by swo17 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:41 pm

cana7cl

Re: 20 Sid & Nancy

#25 Post by cana7cl » Tue May 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Great rescue from OOP hell!