justeleblanc

#951 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 am

Yep, it's exciting.

Aside from Pierrot and 2 or 3 Things, Criterion also holds the rights to:

My Life to Live
Le Petit soldat
Les Carabiniers
Made in USA
La Chinoise (KOCH LORBER owns the theatrical print)

Anyone else see a killer Eclipse box?

jbeall

#952 Post by jbeall » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:11 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Anyone else see a killer Eclipse box?
I see lots of killer Eclipse boxes, but Criterion
a) doesn't listen to me #-o
b) needs to put some more sets together... we're waiting!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#953 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 pm

I feel pretty strongly about all Godard films from this period and could make this argument for all of them deserving their own separate releases, but especially with a high profile title like My Life to Live, I can not see it being hidden in a box with four other films. It's been out of print for almost two years now by the way.

Macintosh

#954 Post by Macintosh » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:00 pm

The R2 Nouveaux release of Vivre Sa Vie is just fine, btw.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#955 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:28 pm

the R4 picture quality is fantastic and has one of the best commentaries on a Godard film I've heard

LightBulbFilm

#956 Post by LightBulbFilm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:48 pm

I e-mailed Turrell asking about Rian Johnson's Brick and Harold and Maude, this was the response.
Hi Thomas -

Not to say there isn't a lot of good stuff coming, but we don't have any plans for anything that you mention. Sorry....

Hope all else is well and thanks as always for your support.

Best,

Jonathan
But we do know there is a lot of good stuff coming.

ianungstad

#957 Post by ianungstad » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Are their email addresses publically available? Or does one have to go and ask "John Mulvaney" their questions.

dadaistnun

#958 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:53 am

TCM ran Peter Ustinov's Vice Versa Friday night and it was preceded by (a current) MGM and Rank logos. I don't know what the general opinion on the film is, but we thought it was absolutely hilarious, a very pleasant and unexpected surprise. Anthony Newley is fine but Roger Livesey is utterly delightful. James Robertson Justice gets the film's most quotable lines ("Out of my way, nincompoops!").

LightBulbFilm

#959 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:04 pm

How about Our Daily Bread? Image owns the right to it. I think it's worthy of a Criterion edition.

And how about the two Image owned Kitano films?

tryavna

#960 Post by tryavna » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:03 pm

dadaistnun wrote:TCM ran Peter Ustinov's Vice Versa Friday night and it was preceded by (a current) MGM and Rank logos. I don't know what the general opinion on the film is, but we thought it was absolutely hilarious, a very pleasant and unexpected surprise. Anthony Newley is fine but Roger Livesey is utterly delightful. James Robertson Justice gets the film's most quotable lines ("Out of my way, nincompoops!").
A brilliant film indeed! It caps the finest five-year period of Livesay's career (the rest of which was made up of the three P&P films). Though as you say, James Robertson Justice nearly steals the movie.

Network's R2 disc is actually a perfectly acceptable DVD. The print TCM showed is the same print (though obviously in NTSC rather than PAL), so the A/V quality is the same. Unfortunately, there are no extras to speak of, though Ustinov's directorial efforts deserve some sort of analysis as does the career of original author F. Anstey (who invented the body-switch comedy genre). The movie definitely rewards multiple viewings, so I highly recommend the UK release.
LightBulbFilm wrote:How about Our Daily Bread? Image owns the right to it. I think it's worthy of a Criterion edition.
Frankly, I don't think that the Image release needs much improvement. The print and transfer are superb, and there is a wealth of extra material in the form of Pare Lorentz's and other excellent Depression-era documentaries. There could, of course, be more material dedicated to Vidor himself, but I suspect we'll get that whenever Warner get up off their asses and give us The Big Parade and The Crowd.

It's a wonderful movie, but this is just another instance where a CC edition would be superfluous. (The Image is still in print, though it's sometimes difficult to track down.)

LightBulbFilm

#961 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:22 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:How about Our Daily Bread? Image owns the right to it. I think it's worthy of a Criterion edition.

And how about the two Image owned Kitano films?
I got a response from Turell on these. No for all of them.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#962 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:57 am

Knew it had been mentioned again recently. Just couldn't find the thread, so I started a new one.

More news from the Film Forum schedule for late '07: new 35mm restorations from Janus Films of Albert Lamorisse's "The Red Balloon" and "White Mane." The two films run as one double feature, opening November 16th.

There's also a Janus-backed retrospective of Pietro Germi from November 2nd thru 22nd. However, the only films with new 35mm prints are "Divorce Italian Style" and "Seduced and Abandoned."

-BJ

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#963 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:34 pm

No plans for Un Flic according to Criterion, dag!

tryavna

#964 Post by tryavna » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:No plans for Un Flic according to Criterion, dag!
Since Optimum released this in the UK, it will most likely be an eventual Lionsgate title. That seems to be what's been happening if CC don't already own the R1 rights.

LightBulbFilm

#965 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:24 pm

Although we all know they are coming...

On October 23 and 24, starting at 8 p.m. TCM will be playing 10 films by Louis Malle. Zazie Dans Le Metro, The Fire Within and Black Moon will be playing, which obviously do not have releases.

I am willing to bet these three Malle films are January's new releases... Just a hunch.

If so I am VERY excited.

Jeff

#966 Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:47 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:I am willing to bet these three Malle films are January's new releases... Just a hunch.
I could see Zazie and The Fire Within boxed up with The Lovers for an "Early Malle" Eclipse set. This of course leaves Black Moon unaccounted for. I would be a little surprised at a stand-alone release of that one, but I can't imagine what sort of box you'd put it in.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#967 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Uggg... to much Malle.

Are any of these actually good or stand out?

I think davidhare will agree with me on how awful Malle is.

Steven H

#968 Post by Steven H » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:00 pm

I just want The Fire Within and The Thief of Paris and they never have to put out another Malle film *ever*.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#969 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Don't forget My Dinner With Andre, which sure to get a proper Criterion release.

LightBulbFilm

#970 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Ouch, what is with the hatred of Malle?

He's one fantastic director with an ALMOST flawless body of work.

I hope he's not too much in the shadows of Truffaut and Godard for some of you.

Jeff

#971 Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:Don't forget My Dinner With Andre, which sure to get a proper Criterion release.
Yes, I didn't count that one because I suspect it will get a stand-alone full Criterion disc.
LightBulbFilm wrote:Ouch, what is with the hatred of Malle?
No hatred from me. Zazie and Andre rank among some of my most desired Criterion properties.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#972 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:18 pm

Jeff wrote:Zazie and Andre rank among some of my most desired Criterion properties.
Mine too. In fact, I believe my first post on this forum was made about My Dinner With Andre possibly being a Criterion release! However, Zazie dans le Metro is an incredibly popular film and I though I could see it in a Criterion boxed set, I just can't imagine them dropping it in an Eclipse set. I've predicted this sort of thing before, but I could easily see concurrent releases of Zazie and Andre as stand-alone discs and then the others Janus titles getting dropped in a boxed set down the line.

denti alligator

#973 Post by denti alligator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:36 pm

I wonder if Criterion will be doing anything special in March '08 (announcement only 2 1/2 months away), since that month marks the tenth anniversary of their first DVD release.

GringoTex

#974 Post by GringoTex » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:44 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:Ouch, what is with the hatred of Malle?
I'm surprised Criterion has completely ignored Chabrol, a contemporary of Malle's who I think is a far better filmmaker.

redbill

#975 Post by redbill » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 pm

GringoTex wrote:I'm surprised Criterion has completely ignored Chabrol, a contemporary of Malle's who I think is a far better filmmaker.
I'd say early Chabrol reeks of an eclipse set, or at least an early nouvelle vague set.