Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
kinjitsu

#901 Post by kinjitsu » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 pm

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 in the Hands Over the City thread:
Cleo Godsey wrote:Re: Francesco Rosi
Mon, 30 Apr 2007

I just check with production and we don't have any plans for releasing a new title anytime soon, at least throughout 2007.

Sorry about that, but will take note that you asked about it.

Thanks,
Cleo
Così

rmp

#902 Post by rmp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:44 pm

What are the chances of seeing an Annie Hall Criterion?

The MGM release is pretty pitiful, and Criterion did release a laser disk version of the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#903 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:45 pm

Woody Allen doesn't like supplements, there would be no incentive for Criterion to acquire it.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#904 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:00 pm

There's only one movie I would love to speculate getting released thanks to the Parmount deal, and that would be Harold and Maude. It's up there on the list of favorite movies of all time, and it's a damn shame it has the edition it has now.

I would kill for one, maybe with a Wes Anderson intro, and commentary by Bud Cort.

Svevan

#905 Post by Svevan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:40 am

I don't want to be a troll, but that would make my day wretched - Harold and Maude is overrated. Speaking purely of editing, the movie is a mess; the dialogue is barely believable; the relationship is completely undeveloped; and by the end, it turns into a message film delivered from the mouth of the divine Cat Stevens. I think it gains points with crowds for being anti-establishment and freewheeling, but in my proud opinion, it's as joyless as Little Miss Sunshine (a very similar film).

Awesome Welles

#906 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:26 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:There's only one movie I would love to speculate getting released thanks to the Parmount deal, and that would be Harold and Maude.

It's up there on the list of favorite movies of all time, and it's a damn shame it has the edition it has now.

I would kill for one, maybe with a Wes Anderson intro, and commentary by Bud Cort.
Amen

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#907 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:44 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:I would kill for one, maybe with a Wes Anderson intro, and commentary by Bud Cort.
Me too.

EDIT: I thought you said I would kill myself if it contained a Wes Anderson intro

bearcuborg

#908 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:09 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:There's only one movie I would love to speculate getting released thanks to the Parmount deal, and that would be Harold and Maude. It's up there on the list of favorite movies of all time, and it's a damn shame it has the edition it has now.

I don't care much for the movie, but I would see it again with all the usual Criterion supplements for a re-evaluation.

But Wes Anderson is dreadful. His movies are OK, but he came off pretty bad in the Bogdanovich interview on They All Laughed.

Narshty

#909 Post by Narshty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:49 pm

I'd be deliriously happy if Criterion's alleged handful of upcoming MGM titles included Blow Out and Hope and Glory. Just throwing that out there.

Jeff

#910 Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:39 pm

Narshty wrote:I'd be deliriously happy if Criterion's alleged handful of upcoming MGM titles included Blow Out and Hope and Glory. Just throwing that out there.
Me too. I love Blow Out. I think it's DePalma's best film by a large margin. Laurent Bouzereau approached MGM about doing a special edition when he did their Carrie and Dressed to Kill discs. They were too far along in the production of their bare bones disc. Bouzereau is largely responsible for the supplemental content on Criterion's Carrie laserdisc, and worked with them on other laser projects. Perhaps they can get something together for this.

ianungstad

#911 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Where did the rumor come from that Criterion had any other MGM discs coming out? I thought that House of Games was just a one-off for a commentary track?

CSM126

#912 Post by CSM126 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:35 am

ianungstad wrote:Where did the rumor come from that Criterion had any other MGM discs coming out? I thought that House of Games was just a one-off for a commentary track?
Someone mentioned in, I believe, the House of Games thread that there would be something like four titles coming from MGM to Criterion.

House of Games was number one, Salo is likely number two...after that I don't think anything is known for certain.

Derek Estes

#913 Post by Derek Estes » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:43 pm

I would love Park Row to be on that list!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#914 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:00 pm

I think we'd all love to see Kiss Me Deadly rescued from MGM first.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#915 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:26 pm

In spite of fearing a beatdown for doing so, I bring to you a link from MTV's MovieBlog:

[quote]Bottle Rocket' To Get The Criterion DVD Treatment At Last

More Wes Anderson goodness for you today, my fellow Max Fischer fanatics. Yesterday I filled you in Anderson's plans for The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

pauling

#916 Post by pauling » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Agreed, BJ. Night of the Hunter would top my MGM wish list.

#917 Post by 125100 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Yes, but not before "Night of the Hunter."
Oh you big tease...

dx23

Bottle Rocket Sony

#918 Post by dx23 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:59 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:I just can't wait to read a blog post about how they managed to get the rights [for Bottle Rocket] from Sony...
I don't think it was that hard. I believe it was like 2 years ago that Sony publicly stated that they were discontinuing many of their titles, specially foreign and low budget films in hopes of licensing them to third parties for new, more elaborate releases. Several titles, like Goodbye Lenin and Loss of Sexual Innocences went OOP along with other 55 titles from the collection.

In other words, Sony is making all this films available to companies like Criterion and Anchor Bay.

LightBulbFilm

#919 Post by LightBulbFilm » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:44 pm

dx23 wrote:
SncDthMnky wrote:I just can't wait to read a blog post about how they managed to get the rights from Sony...
I don't think it was that hard. I believe it was like 2 years ago that Sony publicly stated that they were discontinuing many of their titles, specially foreign and low budget films in hopes of licensing them to third parties for new, more elaborate releases. Several titles, like Goodbye Lenin and Loss of Sexual Innocences went OOP along with other 55 titles from the collection.

In other words, Sony is making all this films available to companies like Criterion and Anchor Bay.
Ooh. Maybe that gives titles like Watermelon Man, Vanya on 42nd Street and Shadow Magic possibilities. Or am I stepping out way too far?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#920 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:46 pm

I'd be more hopeful for Safe and Mifune.

malcolm1980

#921 Post by malcolm1980 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:01 am

domino harvey wrote:Woody Allen doesn't like supplements, there would be no incentive for Criterion to acquire it.
Yeah. Unless somehow Woody changes his mind, his films already out on DVD is as good as they're going to get.

Svevan

#922 Post by Svevan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:20 am

Some highly opinionated directors have been known to "change their minds" from beyond the grave. Perhaps that will be true for Woody.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#923 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:23 pm

Svevan wrote:Some highly opinionated directors have been known to "change their minds" from beyond the grave. Perhaps that will be true for Woody.
Kubrick's widow wants the murder mystery put back in Annie Hall

miless

#924 Post by miless » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:06 pm

dx23 wrote:In other words, Sony is making all this films available to companies like Criterion and Anchor Bay.
so that's why Cronenberg's Spider went out of print (come on Criterion!)

ianungstad

#925 Post by ianungstad » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:42 pm

TCM showed a restored print of Richard Kipling's Jungle Book tonight. It was the Korda production and the film was preceded by the Janus Logo. Does a restoration usually indicate a forthcoming DVD release?

Personally I didn't like the film at all. Definitely not something I feel would be worthy of the Criterion Collection... maybe as a bit of Eclipse filler.

Sign of the times I guess, but I particularly found the use of Caucasian actors with brown paint on them to represent the "Indian" people to be fairly offensive. The majority of the film is done with stock wildlife footage and poor animatronics.

Anyways, their wasn't any scratches or dirt on the print and the Technicolor looked pretty as Technicolor often does...