IMDb Missing Entries

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
SalParadise

IMDb Missing Entries

#1 Post by SalParadise » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:19 am

I've noticed that there are plenty of movies not listed on IMDb, including a Sokurov short film, an experimental film named 'Camille' with an appearance by Charlie Chaplin, and then today 'The Red Elephant ' .

Maybe we could compile a list on this thread of missing titles, and you never know, someone from IMDb could see it and use it.

Cinesimilitude

#2 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:28 am

alll we have to do is submit it under the star or directors name.

acquarello

#3 Post by acquarello » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:57 am

SncDthMnky wrote:alll we have to do is submit it under the star or directors name.
I've tried to do with several filmmakers like Trinh T. Minh-ha, Paul Meyer, and Leslie Thornton, without success. From my experience, it comes down to "could you attach links to three independent online sources associated with the production or distribution of the film" or your submissions get put in a low priority research category and eventually dropped. There's no way to cite book references to them or trust that you've actually seen these films. Maybe you get better priority if you paid for IMDb pro, but basically, it's no wikipedia democracy.

Cinetwist

#4 Post by Cinetwist » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:22 pm

I agree with acquarello. The forms are unnecesarily confusing and take ridiculous amounts of time to complete. Often they wont let you submit even though you've given all the information you can and that is available.

The only time that I've been succesful (I think) is with big name directors like Godard and Herzog. I think I remember reading that they prioritise more "important" directors. For people like Hana Makhmalbaf, I've had no such luck.

Correction. I've just checked imdb and a short by a minor filmmaker (Jacques Richard) has been added. Why the Makhmalbaf short wasn't I don't know.

sienel

#5 Post by sienel » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:51 pm

There's no way to cite book references to them
You can always include explanatory comments as a Miscellaneous Comment or in the 'Explanation for Missing Information' box.
Maybe you get better priority if you paid for IMDb pro
Nope, Pro doesn't make it any more likely that your submissions will be accepted.

I just took 15 minutes and submitted The Red Elephant. If folks want to list titles, I'll go ahead and submit more as time permits - just include the title (original and English title, if available), year, and director and I'll see what I can do. Or if you don't want to clutter up the Criterion forums you can PM me via the IMDb.

Looks like Camille is an extra on the Woman of Paris dvd - I've bumped it to the top of my Netflix queue and will submit it after I've had a chance to watch it.

Gordon

#6 Post by Gordon » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:35 pm

I successfully submitted The Making of 2001 (1968) a few months ago. I saw it years ago on TV and it is very interesting and I hope that it is included on the SE DVD.

Doctor Sunshine

#7 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:39 pm

Maybe not what was intended by this topic but one thing that's bothered me, I've never been able to find any reference to this one 1980s Schwarzenegger barbarian movie The Assassin, or something similar. It's basically Conan vs. some guy with an incredible 80s hairstyle, Van Halen-long on one side and short on the other, a 90 degree mullet if you will. I'd almost wonder if I'd imagined it but my brother remembers the commercial too (I didn't actually see the film). Anyone remember something like this?

Gordon

#8 Post by Gordon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:44 pm

Schwarzenegger's filmography has to be complete. Are you sure it starred the Austrian lunkhead?

Doctor Sunshine

#9 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:02 am

Yeah, but I had a couple theories. One, it was a Conan movie and this one commercial was promoting a character called the assassin but I don't believe there is a character like that in the Conan movies unless it was cut. Two, the movie was so terrible he "disappeared" it. We're talking worse than The Last Action Hero terrible.

Gregory

#10 Post by Gregory » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:12 am

I have not been able to find an IMDB listing for Martina Kudlácek's Notes on Marie Menken, which was surprising to me because it's a new film.

sienel

#11 Post by sienel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:59 am

The Red Elephant is up on the IMDb now - they don't have that aka posted yet, but that usually takes a bit longer.

I submitted Notes on Marie Menken and Camille over the holidays, so they should be up in a couple weeks.

planetjake

#12 Post by planetjake » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:36 am

No listing for the Brocka/Bykov/Palcy/Duran/Godard/Mieville/Lewis UNICEF film, How Are The Kids? (1990).

sienel

#13 Post by sienel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:29 am

planetjake wrote:No listing for the Brocka/Bykov/Palcy/Duran/Godard/Mieville/Lewis UNICEF film, How Are The Kids? (1990).
It's there (with very incomplete credits) as Comment vont les enfants (1990). I've submitted the missing director/segment names.

Notes on Marie Menken is up now - credits will be added gradually over the next few weeks. Same for Camille.
Last edited by sienel on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SalParadise

#14 Post by SalParadise » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:05 pm

Mate, you are awesome.

Cheers.

Gregory

#15 Post by Gregory » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks! I noticed today that another feature length documentary is missing, and this one even has a R1 DVD release: The Fire Next Time by Patrice O'Neill. Someone put the cover to the DVD for this film in the entry for some Craig T. Nelson thing by the same name.

sienel

#16 Post by sienel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:07 pm

Gregory wrote:I noticed today that another feature length documentary is missing, and this one even has a R1 DVD release: The Fire Next Time by Patrice O'Neill. Someone put the cover to the DVD for this film in the entry for some Craig T. Nelson thing by the same name.
The earliest release date I could find for that one was its airing on P.O.V., so I submitted it as an episode of the series. I'll have to wait until the episode has been added before I can submit a correction for the DVD cover.

Jan 3 update: The episode's online now, and I've submitted the DVD art correction.

SalParadise

#17 Post by SalParadise » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:51 am

Tunnel Warfare/Didao Zhan (Ren Xudong, 1965). I saw this film on a Chinese DVD tonight. It is nowhere to be found on IMDb. It shows up on the Chinese Movie Database. This film is pretty well made. Got some decent tracking shots and the music fits well. Certainly not a bad film. (it's quite famous in China as you might expect). I believe it deserves an entry on IMDb.

There really must be hundreds and hundreds of movies from around the world not included on the IMDb. I'm surprised the website doesn't confer with National Film Institutes from every country to check for any omissions.

Oh, btw. I had an idea a while back. One neat addition for the IMDb would be the ability to download every film's closing credits (without sound is fine). That way you can really see everything that has been 'credited'. Some stuff just doesn't have a place to be entered in.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#18 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am

Only a small fraction of older Japanese films are listed in IMDB. People with 120 credits in the JMDB may have 6-12 in IMDB. (Major stars like Setsuko Hara have fuller coverage).

Kinsayder

#19 Post by Kinsayder » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 pm

I've been unable to find an IMDb entry for Death and the Cherry Tree (Mirtis ir Vysnios Medis, 1968) by the Lithuanian director Arunas Zhebriunas. It's listed here at citwf.com, along with a few more of his films missing from IMDb.

Person

#20 Post by Person » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Death and the Cherry Tree (Mirtis ir Vysnios Medis, 1968) by the Lithuanian director Arunas Zhebriunas
Do you want me to submit it? It is actually quite time confusing and time consuming to submit a film from scratch, but I have done it three times now and wouldn't mind adding this one.

Here's the New title form if you want to do it yourself.

Kinsayder

#21 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes, please go ahead if you feel inclined. The last time I submitted a correction it was ignored.

Runtime is 27 minutes. The full cast is Inga Mickyte, Olga Vazlina and Misa Andrijevskis (as three children playing wargames on a deserted beach).

sienel

#22 Post by sienel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I've submitted Tunnel Warfare - it should be added within a week.
SalParadise wrote:There really must be hundreds and hundreds of movies from around the world not included on the IMDb. I'm surprised the website doesn't confer with National Film Institutes from every country to check for any omissions.
It would be wonderful if they did that, but I don't think the IMDb has the resources to actively track down missing titles. They have enough on their plate processing the info submitted via the site (over 26.5 million items submitted last year, including over 50,000 titles, and only 20 staffers doing the processing). (more stats here)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#23 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:29 pm

When I tried to submit a missing film, I was told (by the system) that I didn't rate highly enough to make such a submission. They offered no alternate method to submit this -- only said make lots of small changes for a long time and then come back and try again.

Or something like that.

;~{

sienel

#24 Post by sienel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:When I tried to submit a missing film, I was told (by the system) that I didn't rate highly enough to make such a submission. They offered no alternate method to submit this -- only said make lots of small changes for a long time and then come back and try again.
I thought only aka titles and some bio data (and possibly awards) were off-limits to new contributors. Maybe it was just a hiccup in the system?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#25 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:59 pm

I wasn't a new contributor -- I had had at least five changes accepted already. ;~{