Fox Horror Classics

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:58 pm

From Fangoria:
Coming from Fox Home Entertainment is a collection of thrillers that have never been available on video before, including: William Cameron (INVADERS FROM MARS) Menzies and Marcel Varnel's CHANDU THE MAGICIAN (1932), with commentary by horror historian Gregory Mank; John Brahm's Jack the Ripper opus THE LODGER (1944), with commentary by critic Richard Schickel; Brahm's HANGOVER SQUARE (1945), another killer thriller, with commentary by historian Steve Haberman; the werewolfilm THE UNDYING MONSTER (1942), once again helmed by Brahm; and Fritz Lang's Hitler-assassination drama MAN HUNT (1941).
Last edited by Lino on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:12 pm

weren't a couple of these tossed around as potential Film Noir titles?

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:weren't a couple of these tossed around as potential Film Noir titles?
People were speculating that Hangover Square and The Lodger might make it in to that line, but I don't think Fox ever indicated that they had any such plans.

Ashirg

#4 Post by Ashirg » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:55 pm

John Brahm's three films are being released as Fox Horror Classics Collection on October 9 and is available for pre-order at Amazon. No word yet on the other two.

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:40 pm

starmanof51

#6 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Thanks Lino. This is very pleasing. For some of these long-awaited releases, it takes seeing the cover art to believe it's actually going to happen.

filmnoir1

#7 Post by filmnoir1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:58 am

So does this mean that all three films will be made available for 19 dollars or this 19 a piece?

mogwai

#8 Post by mogwai » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:13 am

All three are included at that price.

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:13 pm

Extras, extras!
Features:

Disc 1: Hangover Square

Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Screenwriter Steve Haberman and Co-Star Faye Marlowe
Audio Commentary by Richard Schickel
The Tragic Mask: The Laird Cregar Story
Hangover Square Vintage Radio Show - Performed by Vincent Price
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
Concertos Macabre: The Films of John Brahm

Disc 2: The Lodger

Full-Frame Feature - B&W
Audio Commentary by Film Historians Alain Silver & James Ursini
Man in the Fog: The Making of The Lodger
The Lodger Vintage Radio Show - Performed by Vincent Price
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
Still Gallery

Disc 3: The Undying Monster

Full-Frame Feature - B&W
Concertos Macabre: The Films of John Brahm
Restoration Comparison
Trailer
Advertising Gallery
Still Gallery

Gigi M.

#10 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Wow!!! All that for $20 bucks.

filmnoir1

#11 Post by filmnoir1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:09 pm

This is a steal at that price, especially with all the special features.

souvenir

#12 Post by souvenir » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Full announcement and individual cover art at DVD Times

Mr Sausage

#13 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:01 pm

souvenir wrote:Full announcement and individual cover art at DVD Times
The summary for Hangover Square says Laird Cregar is the composer in the movie, and indeed he gets top billing; so why does the cover have what appears to be (the always awesome) George Sanders standing in front of a grand piano? Are they spoiling the plot? Or do the two men look similar?

starmanof51

#14 Post by starmanof51 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:06 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:The summary for Hangover Square says Laird Cregar is the composer in the movie, and indeed he gets top billing; so why does the cover have what appears to be (the always awesome) George Sanders standing in front of a grand piano? Are they spoiling the plot? Or do the two men look similar?
That's Laird in his pre-death skinny phase.

shumpy

#15 Post by shumpy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:28 pm

I saw Hangover Square and The Lodger roughly a decade ago and thought both were exceptional. Has anyone seen The Undying Monster? Is it as schlocky as the title promises, or something more?

HerrSchreck

#16 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:43 pm

The original CHANDU was indeed very hard to find and is going to find a lot of eager beavers snatchting it up... all the sequels were out, but no one could get elements for the orig. An old contact of mine was always exceedingly proud that he owned the original chandu on vhs taped off of some ancient broadcast, and was one of the few souls who was a bona fide Lugosi Not on the planet to actually be able to watch it at his leisure

ByMarkClark.com

#17 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:15 pm

I've seen THE UNDYING MONSTER. I wouldn't call it schlock, but it's definitely a cut below the other 2. Pretty slow-moving and, frankly, dull. But I haven't seen it in some time, and never in a pristine presentation, which will certainly do the film considerable good.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:19 am

Lino

#19 Post by Lino » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:30 am

davebert

#20 Post by davebert » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:08 pm

I bought this last week and have moved my way through Hangover Square (amazing) and The Undying Monster (less than amazing). I've really enjoyed getting these older sets around Halloween (Val Lewton, then Hollywood Legends of Horror), and this was a great bargain for the entertainment given. I'll see The Lodger this week and go further.

I feel almost ashamed to say that I was not aware of Laird Cregar's name, only that I had appreciated him as a great character actor. The documentary on Hangover Square, while kind of fluffy, does a good job of showing off these roles and getting that "Oh yeah, HIM!" effect going. And I really appreciated seeing him take some central roles in this set. All the prints look great as well--although including the Restoration Comparison on The Undying Monster left me underwhelmed with the amount of improvement they were able to achieve... probably because they were comparing just the digital cleanup vs. an already pristine 2007 film print. Oh well.

HerrSchreck

#21 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:20 pm

This Brahm has been one of the discoveries of the year for me. Somehow all of these slid by me in my youth as well as during the vhs days. This is just pure moody pleasure. I've only worked thru the LODGER but already I'm in heaven. I can't believe I've never even heard of this man before.

Not to mention a veritable steal at 19 bucks. I dipped into the Ursini/Silver for the LODGER disc... and I swear to god these two men begin the commentary sounding like they have just had a HUGE fight, and are trying to get it together with each other for the sake of the disc. The melodrama between these two guys from disc to disc to disc is almost as entertaining as the films themselves.

More later, no doubt (about the films).

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 pm

From DVDDrive-In:
Fox Home Video’s "Fox Classics" line will unleash some interesting horror and mystery titles this year including CHANDU THE MAGICIAN starring Bela Lugosi, DR. RENAULT'S SECRET starring J. Carrol Naish and George Zucco, DRAGONWYCK starring Vincent Price and MANHUNT, directed by Fritz Lang. No date has been set yet, but expect them all to appear in ’08!

tryavna

#23 Post by tryavna » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:56 pm

MANHUNT, directed by Fritz Lang
Excellent! I've been waiting for this one for quite a while. Lang manages to make John Carradine even more menacing here than Ford did in Prisoner of Shark Island. Thanks for the update, Lino.

HerrSchreck

#24 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:07 pm

With no date committed, you can be sure we'll be seeing this on Thanksgiving.

Lino

#25 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:38 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:With no date committed, you can be sure we'll be seeing this on Thanksgiving.
Nope. A lot sooner. Confirmation here.