75 Chasing Amy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

75 Chasing Amy

#1 Post by Martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:10 am

Chasing Amy

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1607/75_chasingamy_w128.jpg[/img]

Chasing Amy is the third installment in the “New Jersey Trilogy” from award-winning writer-director Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma). Cult comic-book artist Holden (Ben Affleck) falls in love with fellow artist Alyssa (Joey Lauren Adams), only to be thwarted by her sexuality, the disdain of his best friend Banky (Jason Lee), and his own misgivings about himself. Filled with Smith’s unique ear for dialogue and insight into relationships, Chasing Amy offers a thoughtful, funny look at how perceptions alter lives, and how obsession and self-doubt skew reality.

Special Features

-New widescreen digital transfer enhanced for 16×9 televisions
-Discrete 5.1 channel Dolby® Digital soundtrack
-New video introduction to the DVD edition from director Kevin Smith
-Screen-specific audio commentary by Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, actors Ben Affleck and Jason Mewes, associate producer Robert Hawk, Miramax executive Jon Gordon, and View Askew historian Vincent Pereira
-Ten deleted scenes, plus outtakes
-Trailer
-Special video introductions from the cast and crew
-The Askewniverse Legend: a guide to the characters in the “New Jersey Trilogy”
-English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
-Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Martha

#2 Post by Martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:11 am

lord_clyde wrote:
Btw Martha, why is Chasing Amy on your horrible list?
Since he also listed Armageddon I'm guessing it has something to do with Affleck.

Martha

#3 Post by Martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:11 am

It's funny that you assume someone named "Martha" is male.

Actually, Chasing Amy is on my horrible list because I think it's a terrible movie (for which I do not blame Affleck). I thought the direction and writer were both horribly confused, and found the inconsistent tone of the film incredibly irritating. I felt like Smith had no idea what he was saying-- sometimes it's hard to tell if he's laughing at his characters or if he actually thinks the stupid shit they're doing is brilliant and clever. Arg.

Fletch F. Fletch

#4 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:02 pm

Martha wrote:Actually, Chasing Amy is on my horrible list because I think it's a terrible movie (for which I do not blame Affleck). I thought the direction and writer were both horribly confused, and found the inconsistent tone of the film incredibly irritating. I felt like Smith had no idea what he was saying-- sometimes it's hard to tell if he's laughing at his characters or if he actually thinks the stupid shit they're doing is brilliant and clever. Arg.
I have to respectfully disagree.

I find it hard to believe that you have no idea what Smith is trying to say with Chasing Amy. If anything the film is about dealing with one's shortcomings and inadequacies. Holden had a great thing going with Alyssa and then he messes it all up by getting hung up on the whole "finger-cuffs" thing. And then, by the time he figures out what jerk he was, it's too late. But at least, by the film's end, you get the feeling that he's learned something from the experience and is (hopefully) a better person.

Personally, I really like this film. I haven't been too crazy about most of Smith's movies (with the exception of Clerks and Jersey Girl) but this one I think resonates the most and is also his most truthful. There is an honesty to the emotional content of this movie--what the characters are feeling (or not feeling)--that really works for me. There is a sincerity to Chasing Amy that is sorely lacking from most of his other films. Holden's big confessional speech to Alyssa where he tells her how he feels or Silent Bob's "Chasing Amy" story are two examples that I can think of off the top of my head. People may not necessarily speak like this but they certainly have these feelings. And that's what rings true for me.

Also, the film is funny as hell with Hooper X's Star Wars rant at the film's beginning being right on the money. There is also insanely quotable dialogue from the always-reliable Jason Lee ("How can one man be so funny?") who almost outdoes his equally quotable character from Mallrats.

The direction (or lackthereof) slam is an easy stick to beat Smith with and rightly so. He can't direct all that well but I feel that his writing more than makes up for it (and he is getting better in the direction dept. -- Jersey Girl was well-shot).

I guess why this film works so well for me is best summed up by Holden at the end when he says that he finally had something personal to say. That is why Clerks works so well and also Jersey Girl. They are Smith's most personal and sincere works that are actually trying to say something beyond the dick and fart jokes.

Martha

#5 Post by Martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Disagree away, Fletch-- I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority in my reaction to the film, and could easily be totally off-base. The problem, of course, is that I disliked it so much that I am never going to sit down and watch it again in order to reevaluate. I just remember being really annoyed by the "hey, let's have a threesome!" thing, mostly because (at the time), while I assumed that we were supposed to think it was a horrible idea, I kept getting these fleeting feelings that Smith actually sort of though the idea was a good one, and that we were maybe supposed to support it. I was probably already annoyed by that point, but that just turned me off completely (though, again, I'm more than willing to acknowledge that I'm a moron and just totally missed the scene).

BWilson

#6 Post by BWilson » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:30 pm

Martha wrote:The problem, of course, is that I disliked it so much that I am never going to sit down and watch it again in order to reevaluate.
Wow, how open minded.

Martha

#7 Post by Martha » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:47 pm

BWilson wrote:
Martha wrote:The problem, of course, is that I disliked it so much that I am never going to sit down and watch it again in order to reevaluate.
Wow, how open minded.

It's actually a question of time more than anything else-- if you have the time to sit down and rewatch every movie you don't like that others do, that's awesome for you. I just don't, so when I have some time, I'd rather use it to watch something new or rewatch something I liked (or was intrigued by, etc). Sorry that bothers you.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#8 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:28 pm

I think in the mind of the Affleck character the threesome was a good idea, but I can't see Smith thinking it was a good idea. The way it's presented suggests the character still has a lot of growing up to do. Of course, that's what I saw, and what I saw was just another layer to the character being dumbass.

ben d banana

#9 Post by ben d banana » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:36 pm

martha, having always thought smith was just okay and arguing w/ folks who love and hate him for the sake of it, i tuned into mallrats for about 20 minutes last week and was absolutely embarrassed by its atrociousness (the dialogue in particular). your time is definitely better spent elsewhere.

BWilson

#10 Post by BWilson » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:50 pm

Martha wrote:
It's actually a question of time more than anything else-- if you have the time to sit down and rewatch every movie you don't like that others do, that's awesome for you. I just don't, so when I have some time, I'd rather use it to watch something new or rewatch something I liked (or was intrigued by, etc). Sorry that bothers you.
While rewatching everything you don't like would be a waste of time, rewatching something you had a very strong hatred of (as you seem to) on first viewing can be very valuable. If for no other reason then to reevalute your reasons for disliking it.

lord_clyde

#11 Post by lord_clyde » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:14 pm

It's funny that you assume someone named "Martha" is male.
Heh, you're right. It's the avatar that threw me.

lord_clyde

#12 Post by lord_clyde » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:18 pm

martha, having always thought smith was just okay and arguing w/ folks who love and hate him for the sake of it, i tuned into mallrats for about 20 minutes last week and was absolutely embarrassed by its atrociousness (the dialogue in particular). your time is definitely better spent elsewhere.
Come on! Even Smith admits Mallrats sucked. I believe he publicly apologized for it at Indpendent Spirit.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#13 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:02 pm

Mallrats was made just so Kevin Smith could make money. Funny thing is that the movie was a big box office failure.

I'm really split an Kevin Smith. Clerks and Chasing Amy are excellent films, Mallrats isn't even mediocre, Dogma was a wasted approtunity, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is just stupid ( only thing I like about this movie is that one scene is filmed near my house), and I refuse to see Jersey Girl (which may end up being good).

Dogma was the most dissapointing. It has great scenes and ideas, but sometimes he was pushing it, like Alanis Morrisette as God. I kepy getting the feeling he just what's to force new ideas and twists, even if they aren't that good.

lord_clyde

#14 Post by lord_clyde » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:34 pm

All his movies are made so he can make money (except Chasing Amy, which was his comeback movie) in any interview you see with him he's always saying what a cushy job he has. The man is a sellout, he knows it, we knows it, i'm cool with it. If you need further proof just look at the title of his next film: "The Passion of the Clerks."

exte

#15 Post by exte » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:58 am

Yeah, "The Passion of the Clerks" title is completely embarrassing, especially since he thinks it will actually be better than the first one. Then again, maybe it's just a working title for people to know it’s being made at all. I wonder if Criterion will allow him to release Chasing Amy X DVD.... :lol:

ben d banana

#16 Post by ben d banana » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:13 am

lord_clyde wrote:Come on! Even Smith admits Mallrats sucked. I believe he publicly apologized for it at Indpendent Spirit.
and yet, it is better as self-aware stupidity than the retarded het boy fantasy that is chasing amy. however, that still doesn't make it any less agonizing.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#17 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:28 pm

With Miramax leaving it's Disney, is there a chance this will go out of print?

lord_clyde

#18 Post by lord_clyde » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:25 am

If it does I'm sure it will still be readily available at the same low price.

skuhn8

#19 Post by skuhn8 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:34 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote: I'm really split an Kevin Smith. Clerks and Chasing Amy are excellent films
Chasing Amy is an excellent film? Please. Crap in and crap out. I think Clerks is a blast but as soon as Kevin Smith tried to tackle relationship matters (Amy) or philosohical matters (Dogma) it was perfectly clear that this guy is in way over his head. Idle daydreams of a perpetually pre-adolescent dork. Should stick with slurpy jockeys at 7/11.

oldsheperd

#20 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:59 pm

I always thought that Smith was kind of hinting at the hypocrisy of Affleck's character. He didn't have any issues about his girlfriend being a lesbian because girl-on-girl stuff is a male fantasy, but once he found out she was in a three way with two guys that destroyed his idea of her.

oldsheperd

#21 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:04 pm

BTW, An Evening with Kevin Smith is almost as good as Clerks.

lull

#22 Post by lull » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:20 pm

I always thought that Smith was kind of hinting at the hypocrisy of Affleck's character. He didn't have any issues about his girlfriend being a lesbian because girl-on-girl stuff is a male fantasy, but once he found out she was in a three way with two guys that destroyed his idea of her.

that's always been my take on it.

i fully understand the pre-pubescent male fantasy comment made by critics when trashing the film, but i don't feel it holds any water here because (i thought) it was rather obvious that Affleck's character was flawed in his thinking. he was the ass. he brought himself down.
he was caught up in his fantasies, but not Smith.

exte

#23 Post by exte » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:33 am

a.khan wrote:
you gotta be kidding me wrote:Will they correct the "mistake" of releasing Chasing Amy if I let them know about it?
Once they're done with my report of Michael BlockbusterBay's “Armageddon,â€

lord_clyde

#24 Post by lord_clyde » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:48 pm

I guess it has been ten years. Yeah sure, I don't think he's busy doing anything else right now.

exte

#25 Post by exte » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:07 pm

It turns out they shot a Q&A for the 10th Anniversary dvd at the Arclight during Vulgarthon 2005. I'm behind the times, I guess...

source