396 Ace in the Hole

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Highway 61

#26 Post by Highway 61 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:15 pm

My gripe is that at least Paramount would have the good sense not to windowbox the damn thing. Sitll I'm a little more optimistic. Because this will probably be Criterion's only Wilder release, it's reasonable to hope for highly insightful, exceptional extras to justify the price.

Cinephrenic

#27 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:30 pm

I don't mind Ace in the Hole, but more the recent The Two of Us (doesn't even have commentary), and Marker set. Are the rights really that expensive?

Robert de la Cheyniest

#28 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Via_Chicago wrote:I'm still very disappointed this isn't going to be a Paramount DVD release. Not only does the transfer already look immaculate, but I'd be able to pay $10 for it. Criterion's going to throw a bunch of extras on this that I'm not going to watch and then charge me $40. If it were a transfer in need of serious work, I'd be more than happy that Criterion were releasing it, but the transfer on TCM looked great.
I'm inclined to agree with this (as I also just saw the film on TCM today and absolutely loved it). I mean, I will buy the Criterion when it comes out but to be honest I'd be more than happy with a Conformist level edition of this.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#29 Post by Tribe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:40 pm

Via_Chicago wrote:I'm still very disappointed this isn't going to be a Paramount DVD release. Not only does the transfer already look immaculate, but I'd be able to pay $10 for it. Criterion's going to throw a bunch of extras on this that I'm not going to watch and then charge me $40. If it were a transfer in need of serious work, I'd be more than happy that Criterion were releasing it, but the transfer on TCM looked great.
I've yet to find anyone to pay $40 for a new single disc (or even 2 disc) Criterion. If anyone in the US has, it's because they want to.

Tribe

souvenir

#30 Post by souvenir » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:47 pm

I disagree. I'd be happy to pay Criterion prices for some substantial extras. Most of Wilder's films have barebones DVDs and the few special editions mostly have fluffy talking head interviews repeating the same well-known antecdotes and opinions. If Criterion can come up with worthy supplements, I think the extra price is more than justified. Plus, Paramount has had decades to release the film on some format and hasn't so who knows how long we'd have to wait for their more affordable edition. I'll take the $26 hit from Criterion this summer over the phantom $10 release from Paramount with pleasure.

If you don't want the special features and the price tag, why not just record the "immaculate" transfer from TCM and put it on your own disc for personal viewing?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:55 pm

There seriously needs to be a moratorium on people claiming they pay list price on Criterions.

arsonfilms

#32 Post by arsonfilms » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:There seriously needs to be a moratorium on people claiming they pay list price on Criterions.
I agree, and considering that prices on major studio releases seem to be going up as well, the whole price argument against Criterion is starting to become a wash. As far as I'm concerned, DVDs are only really worth owning if there are substantial extras and a really solid transfer. You can bet that the Ace in the Hole transfer that looks so good on TCM came from Criterion, and frankly, if it doesn't come in a 2-disc set with some great looking artwork, I'll Netflix it. I'll happily pay $25 for something if it's worth having on my shelf, but if I'm just going to watch the movie I won't even pay $10.

Via_Chicago

#33 Post by Via_Chicago » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:20 pm

I guess I'm just bitter because I'm awfully poor and can afford $10, but nothing over $20. I'm glad to admit my $40 estimate is gamesmanship on my part, since I've never paid that much for a single Criterion DVD.

Ace in the Hole is great though, and it's certainly a disc I'd like to own at some point. I should also point out that I had to drive to a friend's house to watch it since I don't get cable. Recording it was sort of out of the question, otherwise I would have (like I did with Borzage's The Mortal Storm in December).

Steven H

#34 Post by Steven H » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:There seriously needs to be a moratorium on people claiming they pay list price on Criterions.
If I'm in Borders, and have enough coffee to drink today, I might buy Mouchette at full price. I'll keep you posted... isn't this exciting?!

Jeff

#35 Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:14 pm

For those who haven't seen the film and would like to read more about it, this blogger (who is clearly a member here) has written a nice appreciation.

Jeff

#36 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Specs in first post...thanks to Kinjitsu.

I'm thrilled with the inclusion of Portrait of a 60% Perfect Man. I've heard good things, and it's impossible to find. I'm very surprised that "The Big Story" is not included, because it is such a perfect fit, but I guess it's really not very important. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the specs.

Ashirg

#37 Post by Ashirg » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 am

The picture has been slightly window-boxed to ensure that the maximum image is visible on all monitors.

richast2

#38 Post by richast2 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:50 pm

my boss was just extolling the virtues of this film to me the other day. Hopefully the commentary or interview will discuss the attempt to bring a lawsuit against the film.

soma

#39 Post by soma » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Hadn't heard of this film to be honest. As if the Wilder + Criterion combination isn't exciting enough, the comments in this thread and the associated links have got me well pumped. Can't wait to order this!

Double Indemnity is one of my all-time favourite Noirs, so I'm expecting big things.

souvenir

#40 Post by souvenir » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:57 pm

I had been wondering if this might be a two discer and the DVD Planet listing indicates it will indeed be. Let's hope they're right.

arsonfilms

#41 Post by arsonfilms » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Image is also saying its a 2-discer, which would make sense. The doc by itself is almost an hour, plus all of the other extras and a nearly two hour film would make it tough to reasonably squeeze onto one disc.

Great catch, Souvenir. That made my night.

Narshty

#42 Post by Narshty » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:46 am

Image's website is also reporting a stills gallery, which makes me happy.

eez28

#43 Post by eez28 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:02 am

Added to supplements:

New video afterword by filmmaker Spike Lee
A 1984 interview with Kirk Douglas

Dr Amicus

#44 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 10, 2007 10:19 am

New video afterword by filmmaker Spike Lee
Blimey - am I feeling smug or what. Perhaps not the most obvious of Wilder fans (Cameron Crowe anyone?) - but as I noted earlier, he 'borrowed' imagery from this for Malcolm X.

Antoine Doinel

#45 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu May 10, 2007 10:53 am

eez28 wrote:New video afterword by filmmaker Spike Lee
That just bumped this into a "must own" for me.

souvenir

#46 Post by souvenir » Thu May 10, 2007 11:17 am

According to Crowe's Conversations with Wilder, Spike Lee wanted to remake Ace in the Hole, in addition to the Malcolm X homage. Lee's initial absence from the DVD features, given his relationship with Criterion, was glaring. I wonder if he contacted them upon hearing of the release and possibly that's why it was added later.

Jeff

#47 Post by Jeff » Thu May 10, 2007 9:24 pm

souvenir wrote:According to Crowe's Conversations with Wilder, Spike Lee wanted to remake Ace in the Hole, in addition to the Malcolm X homage. Lee's initial absence from the DVD features, given his relationship with Criterion, was glaring. I wonder if he contacted them upon hearing of the release and possibly that's why it was added later.
Yeah, I guess Lee is a big fan. In Conversations..., Wilder also mentions that Spike showed up at his office one day asking for an autograph, and Wilder didn't recognize him. "You're Spike Lee?" he asked.

rohmerin

#48 Post by rohmerin » Sat May 12, 2007 9:16 am

Paramount releases this masterpiece on R2, Spain, in June 27, may be at 7'95€. No extras.

HistoryProf

#49 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:10 pm

This is going to be on TCM again next week (tuesday night i believe...check the schedule) for those that would like to see it before buying....

Belmondo

#50 Post by Belmondo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:29 pm

HistoryProf wrote:This is going to be on TCM again next week (tuesday night i believe...check the schedule) for those that would like to see it before buying....
In the afternoon...Tuesday June 12, 4:15pm ET