Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
LightBulbFilm

#376 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Hey guys, how about Takeshi Kitano's A Scene At Sea and Kid's Return. Both were former Image releases, now out of print. Do you think there is a possibilty of these getting Criterion treatment. I mean, Kitano is an extremely important filmmaker and these are some of his best works. I would love to see, first and foremost, a Criterion treatment for Hana-Bi, though. This is is best film, IMO, and the New Yorker DVD is extremely lacking in quality.

a.khan

#377 Post by a.khan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 am

The official word on “Bottle Rocket.â€

Narshty

#378 Post by Narshty » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:21 am

Since VCI's editions have been OOP for years now, I'd love to see the Monte Hellman/Jack Nicholson double feature of The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind from Criterion, if only to have them available in good-quality prints once more.

fliggil

#379 Post by fliggil » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:27 am

[quote="a.khan"]The official word on “Bottle Rocket.â€

justeleblanc

#380 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:16 am

[quote="fliggil"][quote="a.khan"]The official word on “Bottle Rocket.â€

ByMarkClark.com

#381 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 am

Remember in WAYNE'S WORLD, there's a sign on the wall in the guitar section of the music store that reads, "No "Stairway to Heaven!""

I think we need a sign on this forum that reads, "No BOTTLE ROCKET!"

jbeall

#382 Post by jbeall » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 am

I agree. I want criterion to keep releasing classic-but-unreleased films that are on nobody else's agenda. If Sony doesn't put out Bottle Rocket, I'm sure there are plenty of distributors who will, but there probably aren't too many companies lining up to put together a Paul Robeson box-set, Berlin Alexanderplatz, or Naked City (while doing such a nice job on the transfers).

arsonfilms

#383 Post by arsonfilms » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:01 pm

I can't imagine anyone would be, you know, really upset if Criterion decided to put out Bottle Rocket at some point, but I'd like to propose a moratorium on actually discussing it. It's really only ever talked about for the sake of completism anyway, and there are an awful lot of other filmmakers that could be just as well represented on DVD. Cronenberg's M. Butterfly has never been released, for instance. Hardly anything worth buying of Pasolini's, either. If we're talking about completism within the collection, then where's Odd Man Out? I wouldn't mind another Rohmer boxset either, now that I think about it. And then there's always a better version of the Decalogue... I'm sorry, I got off track. Bottle what, now?

justeleblanc

#384 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:03 pm

jbeall wrote:If Sony doesn't put out Bottle Rocket, I'm sure there are plenty of distributors who will
Oh, but it is already released.

Granted there was a time when I too wished for a Bottle Rocket release, so I shouldn't be too much of a snob. But I think those who want to see the original short film should write Sony to get them to re-release this in a Special Edition.

On another note, when was the last time someone got an email response from Turell? I wonder if I scared him away with my frequent emails.

a.khan

#385 Post by a.khan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
jbeall wrote:If Sony doesn't put out Bottle Rocket, I'm sure there are plenty of distributors who will
On another note, when was the last time someone got an email response from Turell?
Well, he has replied to every enquiry I've sent him, including the very recent “Bottle Rocketâ€

justeleblanc

#386 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:56 pm

Could be.

LightBulbFilm

#387 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:22 pm

I recently sent an e-mail to Turell asking a few questions about titles. I received a very delighting and yet very upsetting reply.

This was my full e-mail. I'll bold the titles so you don't have to read my letter that just screams "brown noser".
Dear Mr. Turell,

I e-mailed you a while back asking about certain titles and you
responded quickly and most informatively. I wanted to thank you. You
recent announcement of Jim Jarmusch's Night on Earth has me thoroughly
excited and this is going to be the best release of the year for me.

Now I know it gets on your nerves but I have a few questions about some titles.

I was told awhile ago that you guys at Criterion were working on a
release of Spike Lee's She's Gotta Have It. I haven't heard anything
since then. Is this coming soon? Or not at all?

Last email you replied to my vague question of the release of any
Jarmusch titles with this "Only things we presently have rights to on
your list are some Jarmusch titles which are probably coming next
year.". Does some denote mulitple titles? If so could the other
title(s) be Permanent Vacation or a new release of Stranger Than Paradise?

Another title I would love to see on DVD is Le Feu Follet by Louis
Malle. I can't seem to find this film anywhere other than Europe and
I heard it had been appearing with the Janus logo in the begining of
it at many showings. Could it be true there is a planned release of
this film?

The last films I have questions about are some of the shorts of Martin
Scorsese
, such as The Big Shave and ItalianAmericans. I have heard no rumors of this and they are completely out of the blue, but are there any plans to release these or are you guys working on getting the rights or anything?

I really appreciate your focus on keeping the consumers informed and I
really appreciate and look forward to any e-mails I receive even the
newsletter. Thank you for your time.
And this was his response:
Hi Thomas -

Thanks for your note. A couple of quick answers on the what's coming
list...

No for She's Gotta Have It. We don't have DVD rights. Everything else is in the works but don't have any firm dates. Sorry not to be more helpful, but we really try to concentrate only a few months out. It should be a very solid year.

Best,

Jonathan
Sad news, guys. No She's Gotta Have It.

Good news, guys and you heard it here first.

Permanent Vacation
Stranger Than Paradise
Le Feu Follet
The Shorts of Martin Scorsese (The Big Shave, Italianamerican, etc.)

Exciting, isn't it?

justeleblanc

#388 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:20 am

Where did the Spike Lee rumor originate? Now that we know it isn't gonna happen.

I'm actually most excited about the Malle. My hopes are that we'll see another box set, perhaps "3 More Films" or something to that effect.

The Scorsese is interesting, only because they would work best as suppliments, but to what?

JFarina

#389 Post by JFarina » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:46 am

justeleblanc wrote:The Scorsese is interesting, only because they would work best as suppliments, but to what?
Perhaps a reissue of The Last Temptation of Christ? Though I can't figure why it would require one, the original already being an anamorphic transfer.

LightBulbFilm

#390 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:55 am

The shorts were original put on one VHS together. What I hadn't realized until just now was that the VHS was original released by Home Vision Cinema so these films aren't too out of the question I guess. But I could see them being released on a DVD themself. I mean look at the Brakhage set... I'm glad to hear they are getting Criterion treatment though.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#391 Post by Tribe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:49 am

justeleblanc wrote:Where did the Spike Lee rumor originate? Now that we know it isn't gonna happen.
Those allegedly came from Lee himself way back in the day.

Tribe

AZAI

#392 Post by AZAI » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:05 am

If they include American Boy the total length of the collection would be 139 minutes, more than worthy of a full DVD.

If it is true it would be great news.... I have a feeling that that remark is might not be motivated by the titles Lightbulbfilm mentions, more to get out of answering any specifics...I mean what are the odds?

Matt

#393 Post by Matt » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:01 pm

This is the source of the She's Gotta Have It rumor.

The only rights issues I can imagine are that Universal (I think Universal via Polygram via Island may own the rights) might want to release their own SE, or Spike owns the rights and just hasn't gotten around to working out a deal with Criterion. Either way, that 20th anniversary has come and gone.

zedz

#394 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Something's obviously gone awry with She's Gotta Have It, whether or not it was intended for Criterion, as the NYT article was pretty definite that the release was imminent.
If they include American Boy the total length of the collection would be 139 minutes, more than worthy of a full DVD.
If they don't include American Boy, they're crazy. It's hilarious.

Scorsese is probably a big enough name to sell a compilation of short films in its own right. None of them really fit as extras for The Last Temptation. And the title is readymade: Italianamerican Boy: The Short Films of Martin Scorsese.
Last edited by zedz on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigi M.

#395 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 pm

Matt wrote:This is the source of the She's Gotta Have It rumor.

The only rights issues I can imagine are that Universal (I think Universal via Polygram via Island may own the rights) might want to release their own SE, or Spike owns the rights and just hasn't gotten around to working out a deal with Criterion. Either way, that 20th anniversary has come and gone.
Yeah, it was me. Sorry is not happening any longer. Lee's assistant was pretty certain that Criterion was putting it out.

Lino

#396 Post by Lino » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:46 pm

I asked it once and I'll ask it again: what are the chances for Criterion to release Fassbinder's Lili Marleen? Or Despair, for that matter? I want these out on DVD, dammit! With english subs (yes, I know the former is already out in Germany)!

stroszeck

#397 Post by stroszeck » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Yes, and please don't forget about Fassbinder's little masterpiece JAILBAIT, which has basically gone missing I think...

Le Samouraï

#398 Post by Le Samouraï » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:25 pm

I would prefer a release of Fassbinder's rare TV-series "Welt am Draht"

zedz

#399 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:53 pm

stroszeck wrote:Yes, and please don't forget about Fassbinder's little masterpiece JAILBAIT, which has basically gone missing I think...
Rights issues for this one. The author of the original text (play?) hates the film and blocks any release. Which is a shame, as it's a terrific They Live by Night / Gun Crazy riff.

blindside8zao

#400 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:57 am

I'm still waiting for more Criterion Tarkovsky and there's been no word or excitement of anything impending.