It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:29 pm 

My Mac and the AOL video player don't get along, but here's the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:38 pm 

Turturro and Black in a Baumbach movie... there is a god. Can't wait to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:55 pm 

Does this have any relationship to Cassandra at the Wedding ?
That was a novel once earmarked as a film to star Natalie Wood. It was never made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:25 pm 
Dot Com Dom

looks good, was worried about Black being in this but he seems on-game in the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:20 pm 

Harris Savides!

Who is this Rohmer person again?

If you can't see the trailer, here's the poster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:55 pm 

while it lasts...

a bit of Entertainment Tonight promoting the movie, with clips...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:09 pm 

The trailer finally hit YouTube and it's look great. I wonder what Turturro's role in the film will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:11 pm 

This appear to be the second film of Baumbach's that directly references a Nouvelle Vaugue title. Conrad and Butler go on a Vacation would be Celine and Julie go Boating, and Margot at the Wedding would be Pauline at the Beach (considering that his wife is playing Pauline).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:13 pm 

I do hope that The Squid and the Whale/The Mother and the Whore wasn't lost on you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 pm 

Cold Bishop wrote:
I do hope that The Squid and the Whale/The Mother and the Whore wasn't lost on you?

How could anyone miss out on that with the massive poster hanging in the father's house?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:55 am 

SncDthMnky wrote:
Cold Bishop wrote:

How could anyone miss out on that with the massive poster hanging in the father's house?

That is why I do hope...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:02 pm 

Cold Bishop wrote:
SncDthMnky wrote:
Cold Bishop wrote:

That is why I do hope...

This new one is also super obvious, what with the character of Pauline living on a beach. Trailer is up in HD and I noticed Ciaran Hinds in the credits, who was fantastic in HBO's Rome, and Munich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 pm 

SncDthMnky wrote:
This new one is also super obvious, what with the character of Pauline living on a beach. Trailer is up in HD and I noticed Ciaran Hinds in the credits, who was fantastic in HBO's Rome, and Munich.

I thought I made that observation about Pauline, maybe not. Conrad and Butler Take a Vacation was another title of his alluding to a New Wave film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:47 am 

justeleblanc wrote:
SncDthMnky wrote:

I thought I made that observation about Pauline, maybe not. Conrad and Butler Take a Vacation was another title of his alluding to a New Wave film.

you did, I just thought it was similar in terms of the title; ______ at the ________. The fact that her name was pauline and that she lived at a beach flew right by me in the tiny AOL trailer. My attention was probably elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:22 pm 

Selected for the NY film festival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:14 pm 

SncDthMnky wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:
SncDthMnky wrote:

you did, I just thought it was similar in terms of the title; ______ at the ________. The fact that her name was pauline and that she lived at a beach flew right by me in the tiny AOL trailer. My attention was probably elsewhere.

My original thought was Zazie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:47 am 

I just saw this a few days ago and think that it is better than Squid...
More poignant and precise... and really beautifully shot in a "high-budget home movie" kind of way.
Baumbach has certainly discovered his "style"... it just took him a little while to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:01 pm 

Noah Baumbach really does have a flair for conceiving characters that fascinate the viewer from the get-go. Margot - so brilliant and posh, so Earthy and immaculately coiffed, so exquisitely attuned to destruction of herself and to others, is the kind of character we more than typically stumble upon in a novel or a short story rather than in a film. And in many ways, the experience of watching Margot at the Wedding is akin to that of reading a damn good short story.

The dialogue is frank and the story progression is extremely natural. All of the characters are flawed, often very deeply flawed, and the film isn't afraid to display those ugly qualities. This is the point where Margot diverges from the typical - it presents its characters as absurd, contradictory and infuriating, and it takes a lot of searching to find any redeemable qualities. But I liked them, too.

Nicole Kidman is enigmatic here, giving her greatest performance as the emotionally confused and impossibly difficult writer trying to do her best outside her comfort zone. Jennifer Jason Leigh is also very good, and while I've never really been a fan of Jack Black, he is quite good as well (and funny).

Absolutely Baumbach's greatest work so far, and I'm very interested in anything he does next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:40 am 

I read the script a little while ago, and liked it a lot. I really, really didn't imagine Jack Black in that role (maybe Adrien Brody or someone like that), but maybe because I hate Jack Black. Defenitely looking forward to seeing it play out onscreen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:03 am 

Magic Hate Ball wrote:
I read the script a little while ago, and liked it a lot. I really, really didn't imagine Jack Black in that role (maybe Adrien Brody or someone like that), but maybe because I hate Jack Black. Defenitely looking forward to seeing it play out onscreen.

As I said, I've never been a fan of Jack Black, but he is surprisingly well cast in this part, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that he is unattractive and physically awkward, providing ample fuel for Margot's scrutiny, both subtle and not. Late in the film, Margot says to her sister (and I paraphrase), "What are you doing with him? He's the kind of guy we rejected when we were sixteen." Somebody like Adrien Brody (who looks a lot like Baumbach, by the way), no matter how he molded the role, wouldn't be nearly as prone or sensitive to this type of scrutiny as somebody who looks and acts like Jack Black is. I was very impressed with the character dynamics.

Meanwhile, I imagine this is one of those screenplays that would read well on paper, but wait until you see the actors go at the material (and I mean really go at it). There are some great performances in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:08 pm 

This film is more of the same from a promising director, but I would argue that he needs to break free of the clutches of the New York literary experience before all of his movies become identical and unimpressive.
The opening of this film on the train is nicely done and at times seems to demonstrate what Alfred Hitchcock believed; that is that the train is protocinematic in that it allows all people to experience the joyous sensation of watching images pass by the eyes at a rapid rate, while also demonstrating the linerating potential of the eyes to re-shape one's own reality. Thus in the film, we see Claude looking out the window as he and his mother Margot (Nicole Kidman looking as ugly and frazzled as she has ever looked) travel by train from New York to attend her sister's wedding. The trip is really a ruse for her sexual explorations (in one scene Margot is shown late at night alone masterbating after she has had a fight with her husband) outside of her marriage. Yet while with her sister Pauline, brillantly played by Jennfier Jason-Leigh, Margot gains some insight into her talented but deeply disturbed and dark soul.
Jack Black is excellent in this film as a man who wants to be a great artist but who possesses no real talent. His best scene is after a giant tree has fallen on the tent, under which he and Pauline were to be married.
Overall I would have to say that this is movie is funny, sad, moving and quite interesting but it is nowhere the caliber of The Squid and the Whale. It is a small, intimate movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:46 am 

I love this movie, but something really bothers me at the end when[spoiler:18fed21z]Nicole Kidman drops her purse and runs after the bus. Why would any woman leave her purse by the roadside? I mean, it's got her wallet in it. I think there's quite an unhealthy dose of histronics there that betrays the otherwise natural tone and performances.[/spoiler:18fed21z]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:09 pm 

franco wrote:
I love this movie, but something really bothers me at the end when[spoiler]Nicole Kidman drops her purse and runs after the bus. Why would any woman leave her purse by the roadside? I mean, it's got her wallet in it. I think there's quite an unhealthy dose of histronics there that betrays the otherwise natural tone and performances.[/spoiler]

Margot being Margot, [spoiler]it surely has no cash in it and her driver's license we already know is expired. The only thing of any worth in her purse is probably a joint credit card (with her husband) or two. Considering that the only thing that really means anything to her (including her family, her marriage, and money) is speeding away on a bus, her decision to leave everything else behind (dreadfully symbolic though it may be) makes sense to me.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:38 pm 

That is indeed a nasty metaphor. I sort of refused to read it that way before I could find logic in Margot's rash decision. It hurt my heart and challenged my emotional integrity, seriously. I could hardly stumble out of the theatre. Thanks so much for the astute observation Matt... My appreciation of the film has thus solidified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:44 pm 

Glad to see that people are appreciating this small, difficult but insightful film. It takes balls to present a group of characters that at times are so willfully unlikeable, but thankfully Baumbach's a humanist at heart. Brave and moving performances from all involved.

Overall, I preferred SQUID AND THE WHALE, perhaps because its depiction of childhood and divorce was more immediately accessible and emotional for me. Unfortunately, both films do share the tendency to sometimes be overly symbolic and literal. Margot [spoiler:320vpzxk]dropping her purse, as mentioned above,[/spoiler:320vpzxk] is one such example; [spoiler:320vpzxk]the tree crashing down and crushing the wedding tent is another.[/spoiler:320vpzxk] Once Baumbach works these slightly forced, student-y metaphors out of his writing, he'll get even better.