Sicko (Michael Moore, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
colinr0380

#201 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:30 pm

I couldn't resist pointing out this video from Fox News reacting to the recent terrorist attacks in Britain. From the video I gather that because the American system is based on making money they get to import the cream of the doctors - those less likely to be terrorists. Whereas I think they are suggesting that nationalised healthcare doesn't really care who they import so are more likely to get the terrorist doctors to make up the numbers!

So there you go, conclusive proof that providing state healthcare actually increases your risk of being horribly killed! (If not by a terrorist doctor exploding himself, then by the doctor not taking proper care of you because he is spending all his time reading extremist material on the Internet!) #-o

Do many people actually take Fox News seriously over there?

souvenir

#202 Post by souvenir » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:43 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Do many people actually take Fox News seriously over there?
Unfortunately, they have the highest ratings of the cable news channels.

colinr0380

#203 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:59 pm

*sigh* :(

The Invunche

#204 Post by The Invunche » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 am

But isn't it mostly old people? The median age for Bill O'Reilly's audience is 71.

souvenir

#205 Post by souvenir » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:28 am

The Invunche wrote:But isn't it mostly old people? The median age for Bill O'Reilly's audience is 71.
Here's the 24-54 demographic ratings. Fox News dominates.

The Invunche

#206 Post by The Invunche » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:47 am

Ahh, too bad.

Roger_Thornhill

#207 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:33 am

colinr0380 wrote:I couldn't resist pointing out this video

The 29% who still support Bush probably do and it's too bad that Britain (and probably now the US) will overreact to these doctor terrorists and make it difficult for well-educated professionals to enter and work. They screwed it up so badly that I don't think we have too much to worry about, I mean those fools who rammed the Glasgow airport were beyond wannabes, they're just pathetic. Doctors and terrorism don't mix well.

MichaelB

#208 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:45 am

Roger_Thornhill wrote:The 29% who still support Bush probably do and it's too bad that Britain (and probably now the US) will overreact to these doctor terrorists and make it difficult for well-educated professionals to enter and work.
If you remove foreign professionals from the NHS, or make it unfeasibly difficult to enter the system in the first place, the whole edifice would collapse overnight - as everyone involved is well aware. So it's highly unlikely there'll be any kind of overreaction along those lines.

Roger_Thornhill

#209 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Roger_Thornhill wrote:The 29% who still support Bush probably do and it's too bad that Britain (and probably now the US) will overreact to these doctor terrorists and make it difficult for well-educated professionals to enter and work.
If you remove foreign professionals from the NHS, or make it unfeasibly difficult to enter the system in the first place, the whole edifice would collapse overnight - as everyone involved is well aware. So it's highly unlikely there'll be any kind of overreaction along those lines.
I wasn't talking about deportation, I was talking about the UK making it harder for future foreign professionals to live and work.

MichaelB

#210 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:54 am

Roger_Thornhill wrote:I wasn't talking about deportation, I was talking about the UK making it harder for future foreign professionals to live and work.
So was I - via the phrase "or make it unfeasibly difficult to enter the system in the first place".

Roger_Thornhill

#211 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Roger_Thornhill wrote:I wasn't talking about deportation, I was talking about the UK making it harder for future foreign professionals to live and work.
So was I - via the phrase "or make it unfeasibly difficult to enter the system in the first place".
Oops, my bad, I misread your post. My apologies. :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#212 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 pm

So there was an AP newsstory today about feature length films leaking onto Google Video, and SiCKO is among those mentioned. Thanks for the tip on how to easily break copyright laws, AP, and now no one with internet has an excuse for not checking the film out for themselves.

tavernier

#213 Post by tavernier » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:So there was an AP newsstory today about feature length films leaking onto Google Video, and SiCKO is among those mentioned. Thanks for the tip on how to easily break copyright laws, AP, and now no one with internet has an excuse for not checking the film out for themselves.
Here's Michael Moore's take on downloading his film, from a chat he did today on crooksandliars.com:
As for downloading, I made this movie to be seen in a movie theater. If i wanted to make TV or internet movies for a small screen to be watched alone, that's what I'd do. but i want them seen on the big screen. and you should see it with 200 other people in the theater. From all reports, it's a powerful experience to see Sicko that way. Having said all that, I am in total disagreement with the copyright laws in this country and I believe that people should be able to share information and art.

marty

#214 Post by marty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Roger_Thornhill wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:I couldn't resist pointing out this video

The 29% who still support Bush probably do and it's too bad that Britain (and probably now the US) will overreact to these doctor terrorists and make it difficult for well-educated professionals to enter and work. They screwed it up so badly that I don't think we have too much to worry about, I mean those fools who rammed the Glasgow airport were beyond wannabes, they're just pathetic. Doctors and terrorism don't mix well.
It doesn't say much for their intelligence and level of medical knowledge if they can't even blow up a car full of petrol. Where did they learn terrorism? Milwaukee?

anton

#215 Post by anton » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:51 am

domino harvey wrote:So there was an AP newsstory today about feature length films leaking onto Google Video, and SiCKO is among those mentioned. Thanks for the tip on how to easily break copyright laws, AP, and now no one with internet has an excuse for not checking the film out for themselves.
Yes, AP are terrorists, indeed. *snicker*
Since the entire film has been out in an unmarked DVDScreener since June 13th all over the internets (or.. since the pro leechers woke up from their alco binges in Cannes)... why would I wanna download a wheezing po'mo' flash video of the same? I mean, pirates got STANDARDS.

lord_clyde

#216 Post by lord_clyde » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:00 pm

anton wrote:
Yes, AP are terrorists, indeed. *snicker*
Since the entire film has been out in an unmarked DVDScreener since June 13th all over the internets (or.. since the pro leechers woke up from their alco binges in Cannes)... why would I wanna download a wheezing po'mo' flash video of the same? I mean, pirates got STANDARDS.
Fuck yeah!