Cassandra's Dream (Woody Allen, 2008)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Dylan

#1 Post by Dylan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:50 pm

In the interviews Woody Allen has given Italian and French newspapers this last month, he's referring to his latest film as "Cassandra's Dream." I'm very intrigued by the title, which refers to the boat in the film. It will debut at Cannes in May and will probably receive a late 2007 release ala "Match Point."

Starring Colin Farrell, Ewan McGregor, Tom Wilkinson, Sally Hawkins, Haley Atwell, Mark Umbers

Cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond

Woody and Ewan:

Woody Allen and Vilmos Zsigmond, wearing matching outfits, filming a scene taking place on Cassandra's Dream:

Highway 61

#2 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:01 pm

I love Woody Allen. I love Vilmos Zsigmond. I love boats. I'm there!

By the way Dylan, when you say debut at Cannes, do you know if the film will actually be in competition?

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:45 pm

I love Woody Allen. I love Vilmos Zsigmond. I love boats. I'm there!
Damn straight!
By the way Dylan, when you say debut at Cannes, do you know if the film will actually be in competition?
I'm not sure, but usually his films don't play in competition. Of course, it's also possible that it might not be ready in time for Cannes, but that does seem to be the plan at the moment.

Now that I think about it, has an Allen film ever been in competition at Cannes? I don't think so ("Match Point" was the opening film for 2005 Cannes, but it was out of competition).

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:54 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Vilmos Zsigmond last weekend. He said the film is quite dark and serious. "Is like Crime and Punishment" he said through his slightly-broken, Hungarian-tinged English. I'm not sure if Zsigmond meant to say Crimes and Misdemeanors and that this film mimics that one's style, or if Allen is indeed pilfering, once again, from Dostoyevsky.

Highway 61

#5 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Dylan wrote:Now that I think about it, has an Allen film ever been in competition at Cannes? I don't think so ("Match Point" was the opening film for 2005 Cannes, but it was out of competition).
I remember reading somewhere (maybe in the Bjorkman book) Allen saying he doesn't care for film festivals. Then, he allowed Hollywood Ending to debut at Cannes as a sign of gratitude to the French. Two films later, and an Allen film is opening Cannes, albeit out of competition. I only asked because I was wondering if Allen had softned enough to let it compete. I know it's a long shot, but I would love to see Allen score a victory at Cannes.

Dylan

#6 Post by Dylan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Jeff,

Awesome that you got to meet Zsigmond. I really hope to meet him someday and, among other things, tell him how incredible I think "Heaven's Gate" is, and how I believe that the roller skating/waltz sequence is some of the most beautiful cinematography in the world.
"Is like Crime and Punishment" he said through his slightly-broken, Hungarian-tinged English.
I'm guessing he means that this is a moral tale with some Dostoyevskian embellishments, ala "Match Point." I'm a Dostoyevsky fan, and I absolutely adore Allen's take on these themes, personally.
I know it's a long shot, but I would love to see Allen score a victory at Cannes.
I think a future victory at Cannes is more than possible if he allows these new dramas to compete, but of course only time will tell if he ultimately decides to submit them for competition. Personally, I'd love to see a new Allen film waving the Cannes palm on its poster.

Antoine Doinel

#7 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:54 pm

Philip Glass is doing the score! From The Reeler:
"I recently had the opportunity and pleasure of working with Woody Allen, scoring his new film, Cassandra's Dream. Though I have been living in New York for 50 years, we had not met until now. I found him to be an excellent and sympathetic collaborator. He is clearly a master filmmaker, and though he knows what he wants in his film work, he was open to my suggestions and urged me to make my own contribution. This is a man who is completely sure of his art and sure of himself." - Philip Glass, composer

Dylan

#8 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:30 am

What an exciting and completely unexpected announcement. Woody Allen and Philip Glass is one of those collaborations you'd expect to only read about in a dream.

I can't wait to hear what Glass composed, and I also look forward to reading more about their collaboration.

miless

#9 Post by miless » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:01 am

Dylan wrote:I can't wait to hear what Glass composed, and I also look forward to reading more about their collaboration.
I love Phillip Glass... but in every single piece I've ever heard from him (including Operas, film scores and original compositions) it has those "Glass" moments... where it sounds like a spiral... or a loop (it's kind of hard to explain)... I bet it will be overly present here (as always)

Highway 61

#10 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 am

I only know Glass from a few of his film scores, but from what I have heard, this seems like a major departure for Woody Allen, no? Come to think of it, hasn't Allen avoided using a score on nearly all of his films, opting for jazz tunes and classical pieces instead?

exte

#11 Post by exte » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:07 am

Dylan wrote:Now that I think about it, has an Allen film ever been in competition at Cannes? I don't think so ("Match Point" was the opening film for 2005 Cannes, but it was out of competition).
Just like the Oscars, I don't think Woody cares for competition. And good for him, it says a lot about him.

Dylan

#12 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:15 am

I only know Glass from a few of his film scores, but from what I have heard, this seems like a major departure for Woody Allen, no? Come to think of it, hasn't Allen avoided using a score on nearly all of his films, opting for jazz tunes and classical pieces instead?
Allen working with a top film composer is a very bold and exciting departure.

The only other films of Allen's that include original scores are: "Take the Money and Run," "Bananas," (both by Marvin Hamlisch) "Sleeper" (which Woody scored himself), "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex" (a very brief score by TV composer Mundell Lowe, who disappeared a few years after), and "The Purple Rose of Cairo" (a brief, mostly jazz score by Dick Hyman, the music supervisor on many of Allen's films), and none of these were nearly as elaborate as it sounds like this was.

I've been a big fan of Philip Glass' for a few years, and I'm now trying to imagine what it will feel like sitting in the theatre and having the classic Woody Allen titles start up with a Glass score.

marty

#13 Post by marty » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:48 pm

exte wrote:
Just like the Oscars, I don't think Woody cares for competition. And good for him, it says a lot about him.
Woody Allen refuses to enter his films in competition even if Cannes festival programmers wanted it. His films have long screened in Cannes in Out of Competition.

Dylan

#14 Post by Dylan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:49 pm

We have a US release date: October 5th. No word yet on where it will premiere, but we can, perhaps, assume Cannes.

Some recently released photos from the set can be found on this Ewan McGregor fansite.

Highway 61

#15 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:28 pm

It's silly, but the Oscar season release eases a lot of my fears that Match Point was a fluke.

jorencain

#16 Post by jorencain » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:04 pm

Here's a plot description, from IMDB:

The story of two Cockney brothers (Farrell and McGregor) in south London and their relationship with a young woman (Atwell) who lands in London on her search for fortune. She crosses the two men by accident on her path and when one them falls in love with her, she becomes aware of her power to attract the opposite sex and uses this to the point of leading the two brothers, who are in financial difficulty, into crime, and creating a dangerous rivalry between the two men.

tavernier

#17 Post by tavernier » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:53 pm

jorencain wrote:Here's a plot description, from IMDB
That's so stilted, it reads like a bad translation! That second sentence especially is a treasure.

Antoine Doinel

#18 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:54 pm

It is rumored that Woody Allen's was offered the closing night slot for the film and he turned it down.

Warning, the link has some major plot spoilers after the photo.

Antoine Doinel

#19 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue May 29, 2007 5:27 pm

Apparently, due to the film's serious tone, Allen is having trouble finding buyers for the film.

Barmy

#20 Post by Barmy » Tue May 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Whoever wrote that should be institutionalized in an idiot asylum.
it's an even more sober film than Scoop
What? Shrek 3 is a more sober film than Scoop.
I've never really been an Allen fan until Match Point, and from there I've found his films much more intriguing and engaging. Are you a pre or post Match Point Allen fan?
Can't disagree with that--WA's post-Match Point oeuvre certainly overshadows his prior efforts.

Jeff

#21 Post by Jeff » Tue May 29, 2007 6:02 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Apparently, due to the film's serious tone, Allen is having trouble finding buyers for the film.
I'm having a hard time buying that it's the film's "serious tone" that is keeping it from finding a distributor. Match Point's serious tone led to a bidding war for the distribution rights. Despite my high hopes for Cassandra's Dream, I have a feeling that the lack of interest might just indicate that the film kinda sucks.

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue May 29, 2007 9:43 pm

I think potential distributors are waiting for the film to do the festival run to see if what the critical reaction is first. Either that or the producers are asking for too much money for distribution rights.

Antoine Doinel

#23 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed May 30, 2007 10:44 pm

Whether those distribution problems were real or not, it's no longer a worry as the Weinstein Company has picked up the film for the U.S., Australia and New Zealand.

Commander Shears

#24 Post by Commander Shears » Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 am

Let's hope they resist the urge to split it in half.

Antoine Doinel

#25 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:17 pm

The film debuted at a private screening in Aviles, Spain and will make its official premiere at the Venice Film Festival.