It is currently Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Criterion and IFC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:50 pm 

IFC has picked up the rights to Alex Ross Perry's Queen of Earth which premiered at the Berlinale to excellent reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion handled the eventual dvd/blu. Didn't the director provide the top 10 for one of the monthly newsletters recently?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:09 pm 

French and American trailers for Alex Ross Perry's Queen of Earth with Elisabeth Moss and Katherine Waterston. The French trailer is very good, but I'd avoid the American one -- overlaid with grating faux-grindhouse narration -- like a plague.

That said, if Criterion does handle the release -- though the way they're trying to sell this, I could see it going to Scream Factory (like Duke of Burgundy, also not a Midnight title) -- I wouldn't mind them using some variation of the poster included in the second link, which seems to effectively accomplish what the dismal trailer fumbles around.

I'm reminded of a recent interview with Guillermo del Toro where he explains that he doesn't have trouble getting projects funded because they're expensive or weird, but because he won't employ the winking self-awareness so prevelant these days. Imagine Repulsion or 3 Women advertised with such labored, condescending irony.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:14 pm 

I feel like the American trailer kind of kept in tone with Listen Up Phillip, with the same kind of narration. Will be interesting if that device is used at all in this, which wouldn't seem to necessarily fit the kind of psychological thriller this is being marketed as.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:24 pm 

What aggravates me is that while the first trailer has glimmers of uneasy humor, the second one insists on telling me that the film is a thriller which is also funny. And not because of any interior qualities of the work, but because it's 'dumb like old movies.' I was waiting for Robert Rodriguez to elbow me in the side and ask if I got the joke.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:20 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Saw this popping up on a few Top Tens here and was looking forward to it despite having a mildly positive if conflicted response to Listen Up, Philip, but I agree this film deserves year-end recognition.. in the negative. This is one of the most secondhand-embarrassing movies in recent memory, where several characters devoid of anything resembling interest interact in situations also carefully removed from areas of interest, and then the critical reception praises the "internal" emotional heft of it all! Have we really forgotten what a Bergman film looks like that we have to settle for this eighth-rate attempt? Moss was quite good in last year's terrific the One I Love, and I know she has her fans from Mad Men and Top of the Lake, but sitting through her in-over-her-head performance was disheartening, like watching someone's kid miss their lines in a school play. Thankfully we also get Patrick Fugit to pop up every now and then to tell the audience Important Character Details in semblance of plot. This is the movie equivalent of that Simpsons joke about listening for the notes a musician isn't playing, only like the guy who hears Lisa Simpson's argument, I'm not buying it. Down there with Dark Places and Serena as one of the year's worst films.

I'm all for letting Perry make title/credit sequences and commission poster art, though, as I'm starting to suspect that's where his true calling lies...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:52 am 

domino harvey wrote:
I agree this film deserves year-end recognition..

domino harvey wrote:
in the negative[!!!]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:05 am 

Quote:
Have we really forgotten what a Bergman film looks like that we have to settle for this eighth-rate attempt?

they really did pile on the Persona rather heavily....sometimes a director wears his heart on his sleeve and it doesn't bother me and this was one of those movies- i thought it was an admirable attempt and i actually wound up liking it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:13 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
I'm all for letting Perry make title/credit sequences
Agree that this film was disappointing, but the titles were beautiful. A large amount of credit for those should go to Teddy Blanks, whose title sequences I often like better than the films to which they are attached (re: Wild Canaries, Two Step, Heaven Knows What)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Since writing the above, I'd discovered that there's a good reason Perry is able to easily commission such great art work for his films-- he's dating the artist!