59th Cannes Film Festival

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Arn777

#1 Post by Arn777 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:28 am

The 19 films in the Competition Officielle have just been announced
"Volver" Pedro Almodovar
"Red Road" Andrea Arnold
"La raison du plus faible" Lucas Belvaux
"Indigènes" Rachid Bouchareb
"Iklimker" (Les climats) Nuri Bilge Ceylan
"Marie-Antoinette" Sofia Coppola
"Juventude em marcha" Pedro Costa
"El labirinto del fauno" (Le labyrinthe de Pan) Guillermo del Toro
"Babel" Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
"Laitakaupungin Valot" (Les lumières du faubourg) Aki Kaurismki
"Southland Tales" Richard Kelly
"Fast Food Nation" Richard Linklater
"The Wind that Shakes the Barley" (Le vent se lève) Ken Loach
"Summer Palace" (Palais d'été) Lou Ye
"Il Caimano" (Le Caman) Nanni Moretti
"L'Amico di Famiglia" (L'ami de famille) Paolo Sorrentino
"Flandres" Bruno Dumont
"Selon Charlie" Nicole Garcia
"Quand j'étais chanteur" Xavier Giannoli

Antoine Doinel

#2 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:44 am

Wow, glad to see Babel will be ready in time. I'm really hoping Darren Aronofsky can finish The Fountain in time for Cannes - that's one of the best trailers I've seen in a long time; the film looks fantastic. Pan's Labrinyth has received some good early buzz while Laitakaupungin Valot has not. And it will be really interesting to see how Marie-Antoinette plays with the critics.

But really, it's not like I'm going to be able to see any of these for at least a year :(

Grimfarrow

#3 Post by Grimfarrow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:58 am

Asian cinema lose...

Can't say I'm exactly excited for this lineup

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#4 Post by Lemdog » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:05 am

Grimfarrow wrote:Asian cinema lose...

Can't say I'm exactly excited for this lineup
That was the first thing I though after reading the list.

DDillaman

#5 Post by DDillaman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:30 am

dying to know if Lynch didn't get INLAND EMPIRE done in time or Cannes negged it. Ditto for the latest Coppola pere film, which had been tipped as a possibility.

Most exciting to me (after falling hard for THE CONSEQUENCES OF LOVE of love last year) is the new Sorrentino, followed closely by the Kaurismaki (despite the reported bad buzz, of which this is the first I've heard) and Almodovar films. I have no idea who Andrea Arnold, Rachid Bouchareb, Pedro Costa, or Xavier Giannoli are. (I know, IMDB, but I'm lazy and tired.)

Grimfarrow

#6 Post by Grimfarrow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:29 am

Some notes (again on Asian cinema):

Kore-eda's HANA totally snubbed. Whoops.
On a losing streak: Kim Ki-duk's TIME and Mohsen Makhmalbaf's SCREAM OF THE ANTS
I guess they weren't thrilled about Bong Joon-ho's THE HOST (director of MEMORIES OF MURDER)
Where's Jia Zhangke with STILL LIFE?

Others:
A SCANNER DARKLY ended up in UN CERTAIN REGARD instead of Competition. Hmmm

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:42 am

Grimfarrow wrote:A SCANNER DARKLY ended up in UN CERTAIN REGARD instead of Competition. Hmmm
I think it would have been a scandal if Linklater had two films in the competition.

Grimfarrow

#8 Post by Grimfarrow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 am

No, what I meant was that there was speculation that it would have been the other way round - FAST FOOD in UN CERTAIN REGARD and SCANNER DARKLY in Competition. Usually they put "riskier" films in the UCR sidebar.

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:35 am

Special screenings

United 93 (Paul Greengrass)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand(Brett Ratner)
Over The Hedge (Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick)
Shortbus (John Cameron Mitchell)
Election 2 (Johnnie To)
Silk (Su Chao-pin)
On the other hand, this lot seems quite interesting. Especially the Cameron Mitchell one, that I'm dying to see.

Grimfarrow

#10 Post by Grimfarrow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:09 pm

If you like ELECTION, chances are you'll like the sequel. It's definitely better paced and even bloodier (!!), but there's also a certain lack of excitement somehow. Though the (admittedly obvious) allegory is quite delicious...

Oh, and here's the official poster, and if there was any doubt as to the jury president before...

Dylan

#11 Post by Dylan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:02 pm

I really like the line-up, though I haven't heard anything about some of these titles. And it has been reported that "Inland Empire" (along with "Scoop" and "The Black Dahlia") won't be ready for Cannes.

Lovely poster, very Wong Kar-Wai.

cafeman

#12 Post by cafeman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:31 pm

Just looking at lineup, it will be a crime if Aki doesn`t win. If they give it to Dumont, I will lose the last 1% speck of faith I still have in Cannes after the last two years especially.

franco

#13 Post by franco » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:38 pm

I didn't even know Nuri Bilge Ceylan's new movie were coming out so soon! I am absolutely thrilled.

Greencine Daily supplies links to other films.

Barmy

#14 Post by Barmy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:09 pm

bilge

Slang. Stupid talk or writing; nonsense.

How apt.

Cinephrenic

#15 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:14 pm

bilge

Slang. Stupid talk or writing; nonsense.

How apt.
Huh? :shock:

solaris72

#16 Post by solaris72 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:19 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:I'm really hoping Darren Aronofsky can finish The Fountain in time for Cannes - that's one of the best trailers I've seen in a long time; the film looks fantastic.
The Fountain's finished, lock, stock and barrel. It screened in LA a couple weeks ago, so the fact that it's not on the Cannes schedule now means it probably just isn't showing there. It's a bit ironic that Babel is screening there; it stars Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, who were both first cast as the leads in The Fountain before Pitt walked off and the plug got pulled.

tavernier

#17 Post by tavernier » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:36 pm

cafeman wrote:Just looking at lineup, it will be a crime if Aki doesn`t win. If they give it to Dumont, I will lose the last 1% speck of faith I still have in Cannes after the last two years especially.
Luckily, the jury actually watches the films before making their decisions.

marty

#18 Post by marty » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:40 pm

DDillaman wrote:dying to know if Lynch didn't get INLAND EMPIRE done in time or Cannes negged it. Ditto for the latest Coppola pere film, which had been tipped as a possibility.
Inland Empire is not ready yet, I believe.

tavernier

#19 Post by tavernier » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:42 pm

DDillaman wrote:dying to know if Lynch didn't get INLAND EMPIRE done in time or Cannes negged it. Ditto for the latest Coppola pere film, which had been tipped as a possibility.

Most exciting to me (after falling hard for THE CONSEQUENCES OF LOVE of love last year) is the new Sorrentino, followed closely by the Kaurismaki (despite the reported bad buzz, of which this is the first I've heard) and Almodovar films. I have no idea who Andrea Arnold, Rachid Bouchareb, Pedro Costa, or Xavier Giannoli are. (I know, IMDB, but I'm lazy and tired.)
Giannoli made "Eager Bodies," a wonderful film that was shown at New Directors/New Films in New York in 2004 and introduced the mesmerizing Laura Smet (daughter of Johnny Halladay and Natalie Baye) to the world.
(She's in the recent Chabrol film "The Bridesmaid," which is finally opening in New York in June.)

John Cope

#20 Post by John Cope » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:35 am

What's with all the hate for Dumont? I'm pulling for Loach personally.

marty

#21 Post by marty » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:51 am

You guys can forget about Dumont and Aki winning the Palm D'Or. Given the recent winners I would put my money on either Coppola or Almodovar. I heard both of these films are great. Moretti won't win again either. There is nothing that Cannes loves more is getting the jump on Hollywood for hype so I wouldn't be surprised if Marie Antoinette won. I heard Southland Tales and Fast Food Nation are ok but not great. They then will award some "brave, smaller films" with acting and technical prizes.

cafeman

#22 Post by cafeman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:05 am

tavernier wrote:
cafeman wrote:Just looking at lineup, it will be a crime if Aki doesn`t win. If they give it to Dumont, I will lose the last 1% speck of faith I still have in Cannes after the last two years especially.
Luckily, the jury actually watches the films before making their decisions.
None of us have seen any of these films, so I was just making an 'educated' guess, basing it on the directors` previous films. And Cannes rep.

portnoy

#23 Post by portnoy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:34 am

My understanding of the 'bad buzz' on the new Aki is that it's simply 'not as good as The Man Without a Past.' Since I hold that up as one of the four or five best movies of the decade thus far, saying something isn't as good doesn't really mean all that much to me.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#24 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:51 pm

Adrián Israel Caetano's Crónica de una fuga has been added to the competition. Apparently whoever handles the festival's website knows even less about Caetano than I do, since they call him an "Israeli director" and he's referred to elsewhere as "Israel Adrian Caetano."

The Fanciful Norwegian

#25 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed May 17, 2006 7:18 pm

Looks like Summer Palace might be out of the festival, although the Cannes website still has it premiering tomorrow (the 18th). I think the last paragraph ("...it may be that China has narrowly dodged a bullet here - sending anything but a slick, polished exhibition piece to Cannes could betray the spirit of the festival and tarnish China's image in the process") is sarcasm. I sure hope so, anyway.