X-Men: the Last Stand (Brett Ratner, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
che-etienne

#51 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:46 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:which is completely implausible and ridiculous as Magneto obviously can read her mind
In the first two films it is never suggested that Magneto can read minds... Unless this is established in the third, an alteration which would really disappoint me, where the hell are you getting this from? The comic? I guess that's news to me then, but the movies created their own universe anyways and in the film universe Magneto has his ordinary power to manipulate metal and create electro-magnetic fields...

am I missing something here?

Antoine Doinel

#52 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 am

From a USA Today puff piece circa X2 on the mutants and their abilities:
Magneto/Erik Lehnsherr

Played by: Ian McKellen

Powers: He can shape and manipulate magnetic fields, both natural and artificial. Using his powers to augment his strength, he can lift up to 100 tons. Also possesses minor psychic skills, such as reading minds on a basic level.

Challenge this time: To free himself from his plastic prison and defeat Stryker and all those pesky humans.

che-etienne

#53 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:17 pm

huh...

guess you're right. Although perhaps the key word is he can read minds on a 'basic level', which means not necessarilly just sense what someone is thinking... maybe he has to try hard... meh whatever...

Andre Jurieu

#54 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:29 pm

Further proof that being devout doesn't mean you can't be a total moron.

The Invunche

#55 Post by The Invunche » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Reminds me why I have to agree with Christopher Hitchens when he says he's not an atheist, but an anti-theist.

jesus the mexican boi

#56 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:00 pm

Mommy, Daddy... The X-Men made me GAY!!! Curse you, Bryan Singer!

che-etienne

#57 Post by che-etienne » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:50 am

To get back to the movie for a sec, I just saw it... what a disgrace. Brett Ratner took everything that made the films good and took a big s**T on them... the thing was the movie wasn't even mildy entertaining. The use of powers of gratuitous. The way the film was paced and set to the music was just awkward, and the plot and character motivations made no sense... ack it made me feel unclean watching that movie when comparing them to the other two.

*sigh* at least I now appreciate Singer's films even more.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#58 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:55 am

I knew I was off to a great start when the movie starts out

"20 years ago"

then

"10 years ago"

then

"The not too distant future"

Ugh!

hearthesilence

#59 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:47 am

Granted, no one's really praised Ratner's direction, but yeah, I don't get how people can say he did 'okay.' They could've pulled some random film student in some backwater college and get a better director. Everything from the shots he composed to how he blocked the scenes...it was shit. They go to Jean Grey's house and a bunch of bad guys are hanging out in front. When Prof. X dies, you get the lingering shot on his wheelchair, then in case it wasn't poignant (pffft) enough, he kicks you in the ribs by cutting straight to ANOTHER shot, this time close-up, or Prof. X's empty wheelchair back at the mansion. Boo-hoo, how subtle and powerful.

Even little details, mundane garbage like Angel flying...my God, what could've been really cool looks really prosaic here. He sucked every ounce of life out of those shots. When he makes his escape, I remember one awkward shot, from the street and behind Angel where he flies up and away, about 10-15 feet off the ground...it looked amateurish, like something I'd expect to see on some low budget TV movie. It actually looked FAKE - seriously, it takes some really half-assed director to make a cutting edge effect look like a cheap, shoestring one.