New Films in Production

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: New Films in Production

#1801 Post by knives » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I thought they already did that?

flyonthewall2983

#1802 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

That was a prequel the studio (and apparently no one else) wanted.

lady wakasa

#1803 Post by lady wakasa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Just wanted to point out (especially since there's no separate thread) - Tatsumi is now playing in NYC, at MoMA.

Sadly, I broke my foot, so will have to see it in another not-too-distant city in a few months or hope that it comes out on some form of home video.
ambrose wrote:Tatsumi

An animated adaptation of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's graphic novels.

knives

#1804 Post by knives » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 am

Oh boy. The real world is becoming one giant Onion article.

flyonthewall2983

#1805 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm

ianungstad

#1806 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:55 pm

There is an article posted on screendaily about Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac that has a few new details. :

In the wake of reports that Charlotte Gainsbourg is set to star in Lars von Trier’s Nymphomaniac, producer and Zentropa co-founder Peter Aalbæk Jensen has revealed that the film is to be two separate feature-length parts.

Shooting on both films is due to begin in August near Cologne, with the project supported by North-Rhein Westphalia.

“We are making two films. It is a big operation. I personally hope that we should be ready for Cannes next year,” Aalbæk Jensen commented. “We will shoot both and edit both – and we want to finish both at the same time.”

As previously reported, there are likely to be two versions of each film: one which will be explicit and one which will be softer. “We will probably blur the central points of the human body for the release worldwide but we will probably make one unblurred that will be for screening maybe in Cannes.”

The film traces the erotic life of a woman from the age of zero to 50. The first part will deal with her childhood and adolescence. The second part will deal with her adulthood.

Aalbæk Jensen would not confirm casting but said “we have some pretty big names in the movie which proves that in spite of his (von Trier’s) strange quotes from Cannes last year, his value for actors to work with him has never been better.”

colinr0380

#1807 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 am

It is probably going to be in quite a different vein (perhaps more Anaïs Nin?) but that write up is reminding me a little of those Jan Bucquoy films The Sexual Life of the Belgians 1950-1978 and its second part Camping Cosmos.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1808 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 am

I would hope that an uncensored cut is released somewhere on Blu-ray and wouldn't just be intended for festivals.

Stefan Andersson

#1809 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 am

Godard is now shooting a new feature, Goodbye to Language, in 3D. Read more here:
http://thefilmstage.com/news/jean-luc-g ... -assemble/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flyonthewall2983

#1810 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:32 pm

First shots of Brian DePalma's Passion.

Cold Bishop

#1811 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 am

What's the consensus on the original?

knives

#1812 Post by knives » Wed May 16, 2012 2:50 am

I like it. It wasn't the best Corneau film I've seen, but it is certainly worth searching out for.

flyonthewall2983

#1813 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 am

And it's on Netflix

Matt

#1814 Post by Matt » Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 am

Fine performances, dumb movie. There are several recent French thrillers that are much better, but de Palma might be able to turn it into something interesting.

bainbridgezu

Suspiria (David Gordon Green, 2013)

#1815 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Looks like David Gordon Green's remake of Suspiria is actually happening: Isabelle Fuhrman (Orphan) and Isabelle Huppert star; Luca Guadagnino (I Am Love)--who was involved with the 2008 incarnation of the project--may still be producing. Green's putting together a great team, but this is still going to be a huge "wait-and-see."

Some more info on the rest of the cast and creative team.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1816 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Hm, not who I had in mind, but I was looking forward to her turning up in a substantial role again. Orphan was sort of a gem in its own right.

bainbridgezu

#1817 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed May 16, 2012 4:44 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Hm, not who I had in mind, but I was looking forward to her turning up in a substantial role again. Orphan was sort of a gem in its own right.
Agreed: Orphan is pretty fantastic, and she was great in it.

Regarding Fuhrman's casting, here are some of Green's thoughts on the project (specifically in light of Black Swan):
I want this to be about 14, 15-year-old girls, rather than women who are Natalie’s age. It made not want to do what Black Swan kind of did with the psychology and thriller elements of older characters. If anything, I want to focus on the younger, more naïve kinds of characters—the wide-eyed, Snow White version of the movie, rather than a more sophisticated, sexual version of it.

Matt

#1818 Post by Matt » Wed May 16, 2012 5:08 pm

That is a hell of a cast and crew. The only one I'm not so sure about is DGG himself. He's proven himself to be an extraordinary visual stylist, but can he do justice to one of the most stylish horror films ever made?

Mr Sausage

#1819 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Matt wrote:That is a hell of a cast and crew. The only one I'm not so sure about is DGG himself. He's proven himself to be an extraordinary visual stylist, but can he do justice to one of the most stylish horror films ever made?
I've always thought Suspiria was an odd film to want to remake since it's purely an exercise in style, and the narrative is not that interesting on its own. It doesn't promise many opportunities to put your own stamp on. So is DGG trying to redo the look of Suspiria (an inherently losing battle) or does he just want to make a movie about ballerinas and witches?

Also, haven't DGG's films become less and less stylish over time?

Matt

#1820 Post by Matt » Wed May 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Also, haven't DGG's films become less and less stylish over time?
That's the part that worries me. He's moved away from tastefully sunlit Malickian abstraction to... well, I don't quite know how to describe the visual style of Pineapple Express and Your Highness. Grimy classicism?

knives

#1821 Post by knives » Wed May 16, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm also curious about who will do the score since the original Goblin one is at least as important as the cinematography in making the film great.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1822 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Matt wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:Also, haven't DGG's films become less and less stylish over time?
That's the part that worries me. He's moved away from tastefully sunlit Malickian abstraction to... well, I don't quite know how to describe the visual style of Pineapple Express and Your Highness. Grimy classicism?
I thought Pineapple Express had a pretty striking visual style, but I'm with you on Your Highness looking like a rather flat collection of quickly built sets. I think he still has the talent in him, he just used it for something different for a while. I don't know that a director can just lose something like that, can he?

Mr Sausage

#1823 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed May 16, 2012 7:04 pm

mfunk wrote:I don't know that a director can just lose something like that, can he?
Well, yeah, he can. It probably isn't hard to come up with examples of directors (or other artists) who just suddenly lost their ability to do what they used to be able to do. People change, and creativity is such an inconstant thing anyway that you can wake up one day and find you no longer have the type of inspiration you used to have. And an extended period not using the faculty in question definitely doesn't help.

So the question is whether or not DGG is still the same guy who made George Washington.

zedz

#1824 Post by zedz » Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm hoping that the proper answer to the "why remake Suspiria?" question is: to give the new filmmakers licence to unleash a crazy visual spectacle. That's basically the property's brand, and if Green et al. don't deliver, it will be a pointless exercise.

Best case scenario: Green gets to become as over-the-top a version of himself as Argento was of himself in the original. (I have to admit, I'd love to see what an ultra-trashy, ultra-gothic Terrence Malick film would look like.)

Worst case scenario: The remake's aim is to make the plot more coherent and make us care more for the characters. Set to Marilyn Manson covers of 80s hits.

bainbridgezu

#1825 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:So is DGG trying to redo the look of Suspiria (an inherently losing battle) or does he just want to make a movie about ballerinas and witches?
No ballerinas:
My version of Suspiria doesn’t have anything to do with ballet at all; it’s an all girls’ boarding school that doesn’t have the dance element.
zedz wrote:Worst case scenario: The remake's aim is to make the plot more coherent and make us care more for the characters. Set to Marilyn Manson covers of 80s hits.
Re-working of the plot and characters may not be a problem: Green's stated desire to make the 'fairy tale' version of the film while forgoing psychology makes me think that he understands the plot of Suspiria need be nothing more than a skeleton on which to hang the (hopefully magnificent) set-pieces, while the cast/characters need only to lead us around the environment (and die in horrible ways).

Speaking of which, Green has also said that he plans not to "soften" the violence--a noble intention, but best of luck to him: Argento wanted to make the original film with children around the age Green is using, but the producers wouldn't allow it (and he was dealing with his own family!).

As for the score, it sounds like we won't be hearing Goblin's original, but that it will be drawn upon extensively:
I want it to evolve. I want to start it at exactly that same place, and take that symphony of synthesizers and evolve it to the opera version. [...] I love the idea of getting someone like John Adams to come and compose the symphony version of it for the ending, something that’s out of left field but is truly just a blossom of the seeds that Goblin planted.