New Films in Production

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: New Films in Production

#1726 Post by knives » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I don't know, Hot Shots was good. The guy may be crazy, but he still can probably give a good performance.

tarpilot

#1727 Post by tarpilot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:10 pm

flyonthewall2983

#1728 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Christian Bale and Terence Malick spotted at the Austin City Limits festival...with a film crew.

MyNameCriterionForum

#1729 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Video of Malick at work. Unremarkable, yet something I never expected to see.

Highway 61

#1730 Post by Highway 61 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Can anyone spot Emmanuel Lubezki in the pics or the video? I'm curious if he and Malick will be collaborating again.

Ovader

#1731 Post by Ovader » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Stefan Andersson

#1732 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:07 am

Manoel de Oliveira has started shooting "Gebo et l´Ombre" (Gebo and the Shadow) in Paris, starring Michel Lonsdale, Claudia Cardinale, Jeanne Moreau, Leonor Silveira, Ricardo Trepa and Luis Miguel Cintra. Camera: Renato Berta. Aiming for showings at Berlin or Cannes in 2012. Based on a play (1923), "O Gebo e a Sombra", by Portuguese playwright Raul Brandao.

Lonsdale and Cardinale replace the unavailable Michel Piccoli and Ludivine Cleric, according to Luís Urbaino of co-producing company O Som e a Furia.

In June/July, Portuguese online sites reported briefly that Oliveira will also do a film (a short film, presumably) on buildings created worldwide by the architect Alvaro Siza Vieira.

carax09

#1733 Post by carax09 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am

Holly Motors is an upcoming French film written and directed by Leos Carax. It will star Denis Lavant as a man who travels between multiple parallel lives. It will be Carax's first feature film since 1999.

Production
Prior to the production of Holly Motors, Leos Carax had for five years tried to fund a big English-language film. As financiers were reluctant to invest, Carax, whose last feature film was Pola X from 1999, decided to make a smaller French-language production first, with the aim to regain prominence in international cinema. Holly Motors is produced through Pierre Grise Productions for a budget of 3.9 million euro, including money from the CNC, Île-de-France region, Arte France, Canal+ and Ciné+. The film is a 20% German co-production through the company Pandora, and received 350,000 euro from the Franco-German co-production support committee.

Principal photography is located to Paris. Filming started 1 August and is scheduled to end 27 September 2011.

Also starring Kylie Minogue and Edith Scob and lensed by Caroline Champetier (Of Gods and Men).

RobertB

#1734 Post by RobertB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm

The October issue of the Swedish magazine ”Film” has an interview with Roy Andersson, plus a DVD which among other things includes three clips from his forthcoming films: “A Dove Sat on a Branch and Pondered Its Existence”. The title is a reference to a painting by Bruegel. In the interview he talks a bit about the film, about comedy, and film and art in general. He isn’t sure that he is a comedian, but says he probably views death in a different way than many others, and by showing this in scenes with long takes in this film, it becomes humorous.

In the interview Andersson says that he has been heavily influenced by Fellini. If it wasn’t for Fellini, Andersson might be working as a painter instead. But Fellini taught him the richness of abstraction. Refining things to illustrate life, and exaggerating. He goes on to say this is especially true of a film like “And the Ship Sails On”.

Andersson says he probably is doing films, hoping they will help people being humble. (It’s a Swedish interview but he does use the English word “humble”.) And last in the interview he points out one film that he really doesn’t like, that he finds false: “Silence of the Lambs”.

Lots more in the interview. Maybe someone else is up to translating it. The new film should hopefully be ready in 2012. I don’t know if the clips are posted on the internet. If not, and anybody wants to see them, send me a pm.

knives

#1735 Post by knives » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:58 pm

That's interesting. Is there not a Swedish equivalent for humble?

RobertB

#1736 Post by RobertB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:04 pm

knives wrote:That's interesting. Is there not a Swedish equivalent for humble?
He says an aim with his films might be to make people "nice and friendly towards each other, and respectful. There is a good word for it in English: humble".

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1737 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 am

MoonlitKnight

#1738 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:17 am

All joking aside, I'm glad to see Mr. Green moving back into somewhat more serious territory after after voluntarily tarnishing his once-spotless reputation over the past few years. :| While I saw "Pineapple Express" and ended up giving it the benefit of the doubt, I just could not bring myself to see "Your Highness" and I'm sure as hell going to skip "The Sitter" as well.

Forrest Taft

#1739 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:08 am

According to various Norwegian newspapers, Martin Scorsese has signed on to direct an adaptation of Jo Nesbø's The Snowman. Working Title Films is the procduction company.

Alphonse Doinel

#1740 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Ethan Hawke to don a goatee once more.

Not sure how it will live up to that beautiful ending, but this is good news in my books.

Murdoch

#1741 Post by Murdoch » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Look forward to it, but it feels unnecessary after Sunset, whose title and ending gave a sense of finality to the series.

James Mills

#1742 Post by James Mills » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 am

Alphonse Doinel wrote:Ethan Hawke to don a goatee once more.

Not sure how it will live up to that beautiful ending, but this is good news in my books.
YES.

MoonlitKnight

#1743 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:12 am

Alphonse Doinel wrote:Ethan Hawke to don a goatee once more.

Sooo... "Before Midday"? :-s

Jeff

#1744 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:49 pm

2012 looks extremely promising. Off the top of my head, we're scheduled to get films from: Terrence Malick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Abbas Kiarostami, Michael Haneke, Terence Davies, Wong Kar-wai, Olivier Assayas, Wes Anderson, Steven Soderbergh, Francis Ford Coppola, Alfonso Cuarón, David Cronenberg, Andrew Dominik, Spike Lee, Jonathan Glazer, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Tony Gilroy, David O. Russell, John Hillcoat, Kathryn Bigelow, Quentin Tarantino, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Béla Tarr, The Dardennes, Ridley Scott, Andrea Arnold, Richard Linklater, Fernando Meirelles, William Friedkin, Whit Stillman, Walter Salles, Joe Wright, Julia Loktev, Yorgos Lanthimos, Ben Affleck, Rian Johnson, Peter Jackson, Ang Lee, Baz Lurhman, and, as always, Woody Allen.

Some of these have already had festival screenings or have opened in their countries of origin, but will get their U.S. commercial debuts next year.

flyonthewall2983

#1745 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Even the summer movies coming out will (in some cases, already are) have us talking.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1746 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I can vouch for the greatness of the new Dardenne bros. film. Also, don't forget Studio Ghibli's wonderful Arrietty, which will finally be coming to the U.S. in a couple months.

James Mills

#1747 Post by James Mills » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Jeff wrote:2012 looks extremely promising. Off the top of my head, we're scheduled to get films from: Terrence Malick, Paul Thomas Anderson, Abbas Kiarostami, Michael Haneke, Terence Davies, Wong Kar-wai, Olivier Assayas, Wes Anderson, Steven Soderbergh, Francis Ford Coppola, Alfonso Cuarón, David Cronenberg, Andrew Dominik, Spike Lee, Jonathan Glazer, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Tony Gilroy, David O. Russell, John Hillcoat, Kathryn Bigelow, Quentin Tarantino, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Béla Tarr, The Dardennes, Ridley Scott, Andrea Arnold, Richard Linklater, Fernando Meirelles, William Friedkin, Whit Stillman, Walter Salles, Joe Wright, Julia Loktev, Yorgos Lanthimos, Ben Affleck, Rian Johnson, Peter Jackson, Ang Lee, Baz Lurhman, and, as always, Woody Allen.

Some of these have already had festival screenings or have opened in their countries of origin, but will get their U.S. commercial debuts next year.
Agreed, it should more than make up for this year's bad crop. Hell, on paper that reads like a 2007esque year...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1748 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:35 pm

You are the only one furthering the fiction that this has been a bad year for film

Jeff

#1749 Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Stuff I didn't include in my earlier post that might be of interest: Tom Tykwer and The Wachowskis collaborating on the sprawling Cloud Atlas, Tim Burton adapting Dark Shadows and a feature-length Frankenweenie, the ever-prolific Michael Winterbottom cranking out up to three films, Andrew Stanton making his live-action debut (though I think it looks kinda lousy), Walter Hill getting back in the game with Bullet to the Head, Joss Whedon taking on The Avengers, Pixar's Brave, Sam Mendes' all-star Bond film, Tom Hooper doing Les Mis, Gore Verbinski's take on The Lone Ranger, Brad Pitt and zombies in World War Z, more Judd Apatow, Mexico's Oscar entry Miss Bala, Sarah Polley's sophomore effort, Takashi Miike, Tsui Hark, Todd Solondz, and Robert Zemeckis' first live-action film in 12 years.

ianungstad

#1750 Post by ianungstad » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:14 pm

... and Stephen Frears (Lay the Favorite), The Assassin (Hsiao-hsien Hou), Words with Gods (Emir Kusturica), The We and the I (Michel Gondry) are some other goodies slated for next year.

Spike Lee, Richard Linklater, Michel Gondry all have new projects that are starting production very soon. Some of them may be ready for the fall festival season, which could mean that some of these directors will have 2 different films out next year. Brian DePalma is also shooting his english language Love Crimes remake with Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace quite soon which might be done for a fall festival debut.

There's also a lot of hot new directors like Derek Cicanfrance, Lee Daniels, Jeff Nichols, Ramin Bahrani with films set to debut in 2012.

Certainly is looking like a banner year.