New Films in Production

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Fletch F. Fletch

New Films in Production

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:59 pm

The official website for Terry Gilliam's Tideland is up.

There's a video intro by Gilliam and a nice picture gallery.

This could be interesting...

From Coming Soon!
Yun-Fat in Pirates of the Caribbean Sequels?

Hong Kong's Chow Yun-fat is set to star in the upcoming sequels of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, says Chinese-language newspaper Apple Daily. Chow's wife, Jasmin Chan Wui-nin, said the actor will play the famous 19th century Chinese pirate Cheung Po Tsai for the second and third installments of the film. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley are expected to return in their roles.

Chan said both the movie's producer and director contacted Chow's management company in the U.S. two months ago and director Gore Verbinski flew to Hong Kong last week to discuss the screenplay with Chow. "The director was very sincere about it and specially flew to Hong Kong and discuss the script with Fat Gor (Chow's nickname) ... but we cannot talk about the details until we sign the contract," Chan was quoted as saying.
So, does this mean we'll be seeing Chow firing two-muskets at the same time? :wink:

Fletch F. Fletch

#2 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:52 pm

The trailer for Woody Allen's latest.

And Russell Crowe and Opie's latest, Cinderella Man.

Dark Horizons has a couple of new pics from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Anonymous

#3 Post by Anonymous » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:28 am

Seems Greenaway's latest will be screened as part of the CineMart 2005 in Rotterdam.

I remember hearing that this only went into production a few months ago. So, either it was churned out, or my memory fails...

Dylan

#4 Post by Dylan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:54 pm

I've been looking forward to Tideland since I first heard about it. The description on the webpage is enticing, and Gilliam's 'intro' is hilarious. Two Gilliams in one year should be wonderful (and of course, we also have two Burtons this year).

"All the Invisible Children"

A film by:

Mehdi Charef
Emir Kusturica
Spike Lee
K�tia Lund
Jordan Scott
Ridley Scott
Stefano Veneruso
John Woo

Cinematography by the one and only: Vittorio Storaro

Plot: Seven short films - each one focused on the plight of a different child protagonist.

Sounds great.

Dylan

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:37 pm

Speaking of omnibus films, does anyone know anything about the status of Paris je t'aime? It is supposed to feature Paris-themed shorts from The Coens, Mike Figgis, JLG, Michel Gondry, Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu, Richard LaGravenese, Walter Salles, and Tom Twyker among others. Twyker's piece, True is already finished and has played a couple of festivals. It stars Natalie Portman, and is supposedly pretty good. I don't speak German, so I couldn't make heads or tails of the official site, but was nonetheless amused at the way my Mac's "Sherlock" program translated it:
Everything on sugars! EN guard Agnes and its brothers sound lot which uses the love in thought couches learning 4 friends and 4 paws True
Good bye, Lenin! Fathers - the film Heaven heart Heidi M. Like fires
and flame of the krieger and the empress Meschugge Paul is DEAD
absolute giants Lola runs the life is a building site silence night

Grimfarrow

#6 Post by Grimfarrow » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:59 am

PARIS, JE T'AIME is in production - I talked to Stanley Kwan a while back, and he's shooting his segment after he's done shooting his current film. So I guess he'll get working this Summer. Don't expect this until end of 2005/early 2006....

Spent my Sunday afternoon with Chris Doyle. He gave a rather colourful seminar...I was the hapless moderator. He avoided NYFCC to stay in HK, and will be off to Thailand soon for INVISIBLE WAVES. I'm set to take off for Bangkok too next week.

devlinnn

#7 Post by devlinnn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:09 am

Spent my Sunday afternoon with Chris Doyle. He gave a rather colourful seminar...
I caught him in action years ago introducing a film, bottle in one hand, fag in the other, chatting about everything under the sun in under five minutes. He was in a hurry, as he put it 'to get f***** senseless'. I was, and still am, in awe. Hope nothing has changed.

cbernard

#8 Post by cbernard » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:57 am

Grimfarrow wrote:PARIS, JE T'AIME is in production - I talked to Stanley Kwan a while back, and he's shooting his segment after he's done shooting his current film. So I guess he'll get working this Summer. Don't expect this until end of 2005/early 2006....

Spent my Sunday afternoon with Chris Doyle. He gave a rather colourful seminar...I was the hapless moderator. He avoided NYFCC to stay in HK, and will be off to Thailand soon for INVISIBLE WAVES. I'm set to take off for Bangkok too next week.
You know so many famous people! =P~

dvdane

#9 Post by dvdane » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:13 am

Kim Ki-Duk has begun his next film, The Bow.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:50 am

I don't know about you guys but I'm already looking forward to this one.

exte

#11 Post by exte » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:03 am

WWE to Take Wrestlers from the Ring to the Screen
RT-News writes: "Vince McMahon has created WWE Films, which will bring wrestlers to the screen in genre movies, Variety reports. The slate of films include "The Condemned," an action film starring "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, "The Marine," starring John Cena, and "Goodnight," a horror film starring Kane.

The films will cost up to $20 million, and the wrestlers have service contracts with WWE Films. On why he believes this venture will succeed, McMahon says, "We produce the equivalent of a two-hour movie on television ... The storytelling process is similar, and this is a logical extension for our star power."
This is hilarious!

DrewReiber

#12 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:10 pm

It looks like Stuart Gordon's "Edmond" is moving into production, though I can't find production dates. For anyone interested, this is a black comedy based on a David Mamet play and the cast so far is William H. Macy, Joe Montegna, Rebecca Pidgeon, Maria Conchita Alonzo, Bai Lin and Tom Sizemore.

After Edmond, Gordon should be doing his Masters of Horror feature, before going back to developing "Lady's Night", which unfortunately sounds rather dull. Oh, and it turned out Brian Yuzna was not interested in going with Gordon's "House of Re-Animator" pitch because a re-animated United States president is too political right now. Bleh.

neuro

#13 Post by neuro » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:20 am

From imdb:
De Niro and Scorsese Discuss 'Taxi Driver' Sequel

Screen legend Robert De Niro has reunited with iconic director Martin Scorsese to work on a sequel to their classic movie Taxi Driver. The Oscar-winning actor, who starred as disturbed Vietnam veteran Travis Bickle in the 1976 film, has confirmed the movie veterans are mulling over script ideas for a follow-up to the gritty original. Apart from his comedy turn in Meet The Parents and its recent sequel Meet The Fockers, De Niro has starred in a series of flop films - and critics are hoping Travis Bickle's resurrection will restore his reputation as one of the greatest dramatic actors of all time. De Niro, 61, says, "I was talking with Martin Scorsese about doing what I guess you'd call a sequel to Taxi Driver, where he is older."
Excuse me?

Poncho Punch

#14 Post by Poncho Punch » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:55 am

Hah, I just came to the forums to post that. I mean, I'm all for revisiting characters much later in life, I think it makes a much more interesting sequel than simply picking up where you left off, but Taxi Driver? I mean, damn.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#15 Post by ola t » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:32 am

WORLDLY DESIRES

Once upon a time, a group of people went into the jungle with a truck full of lights. Their activities fascinated the unidentified creatures. They cherished the human's process long after the actual humans had left. The energy of desire lingered. This desire was so strong that the creatures transformed their appearance to resemble the humans, long after the human race became extinct. The creatures, trees, and the earth released their memories and recreated the world they did not possess.

Production starts: January 19, 2005

40 minutes - Digital Video by Apichatpong Weerasethakul

Part of the three short film projects with Shinya Tsukamoto (Japan) and Song, Il-gon (Korea), funded by Jeonju International Film Festival, Korea

Grimfarrow

#16 Post by Grimfarrow » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:22 am

Just got back from Bangkok Film Festival - aka the strage, the bizarre, and the incompetent!

Re: Apichatpong

He's already shooting a new film. Was supposed to meet up with him for lunch, but he was out in the countryside working on the as-yet-untitled feature.

He's off to Rotterdam in a few days to premiere WORLDLY DESIRES. Interesting fact - it's shot in Korea.

Re: That utterly bizarre rumour about Tsui Hark's SEVEN SWORDS opening at Cannes

Where in the world do these people get their information?!?!? Geez! This "Lars" somehow knew what Fortissimo didn't even know (or say). Biggest possible explanation - he misheard the whole thing. "We're hoping to open at Cannes" is not the same thing as "We're opening Cannes".... But anyways..the Cannes people should see the film first...which they haven't. So this "rumour" is a bust.

Since the list has been officially released, here it is - a list of pre-productions from the Hong Kong and Berlin Film Forums. Note that these are projects looking for funding, NOT a guarantee that they are definitely going to be made.

Hong Kong - Asia Film Financing Forum 2005

1. At The World's End (Hong Kong)
Dir/prod: Ann HUI On Wah
Production Company: Class Limited

2. A Beautiful Mine (Meung Rae) (Thailand)
Dir: Jira Maligool. Prod: Yongyoot Thongkongtoon
Production Company: Gmm Tai Hub Company Limited

3. Bluebird (Paraneh Abi) (Iran)
Dir/prod: Hassan Yektapanah
Production Company: Yekta Film

4. Camera Obscura (The Philippines)
Dir/prod: Raymond Red
Production Company: Mistulang Pelikula Film Production

5. The Circle (Hong Kong)
Dirs: Wong Ching Po, YIP Lim Sum. Prods: YIP Lim Sum, Sandy YIP Wai Shan
Production Company: Red Flag Production Limited
Co-production Company: Heat Creative Workshop

6. The Coffin (Thailand)
Dir: Ekachai Uekrongtham. Prod: Pantham Thongsang
Production Company: TIFA (Thailand), Spicy Apple Films (Singapore)

7. Dark Heart Of Man (Hong Kong)
Dir/prod: William Kwok Wai Lun
Production Company: FilmSARS Limited

8. Dragon Tiger Gate (Hong Kong)
Dir: Wilson YIP Wai Shun. Prod: Raymond Wong Pak Ming
Production Company: Mandarin Films Limited

9. Erotica Taboo (Se Chieh) (Chinese mainland/Taiwan)
Dir: Liu Fen Dou. Prod: Peggy Chiao Xiong Ping
Production Company: Arc Light Films

10. The Hong Kong Butcher Witnesses Our Love (Hong Kong)
Dir: Chan Khan. Prod: Stephen Shin Kei Yin
Production Company: Show Biz (Asia) Limited

11. In Your Eyes (South Korea)
Dir: Park Kwang-Su. Prod: Choi Soo-Young
Production Company: I Film Company Limited

12. Innocent Sin (Yagate Umareizuruki) (Japan)
Dir: Isao Yukisada. Prod: Hilo Iizumi
Production Company: Grasshoppa! Film

13. Invisible Waves (Thailand)
Dir: Pen-ek Ratanaruang. Prod: Wouter Barendrecht
Production Company: Fortissimo Film Sales (HK)

14. I-Sheet (Hong Kong)
Dir: Lo Chi Leung. Prod: Cheung Chi Kwong
Production Company: Classmates Productions Limited

15. Kingdom Of Fire (Chinese mainland/Hong Kong)
Dir: Xiao Jiang. Prod: John Shum Kin Fun
Production Company: Beijing Dadi Century Limited

16. Knife (Kal) (South Korea)
Dir: Song Il-gon. Prods: OH Jung-wan, Eugene Lee
Production Company: Bom Film Productions

17. Little Woman (Chinese mainland)
Dir/prod: Jiang Wen
Production Company: Beijing Bu Yi Le Hu Culture and Communication Limited

18. Love For Share (Berbagi Suami) (Indonesia)
Dir: Nia Dinata. Prods: Constantin Papadimitriou, Claude Kunetz
Production Company: Kalyana Shira Film

19. Love Talk (South Korea)
Dir: Lee Yoon-ki. Prod: Lee Seung-jae
Production Company: LJ Film Company Limited

20. The Marriage Celebrant (Hong Kong)
Dir/prod: Barbara Wong Chun Chun
Production Company: Endless Entertainment Inc

21. Marriage Proposal (Hong Kong)
Dir: Pang Ho Cheung. Prod: Roger Garcia
Production Company: Making Film Production Limited

22. McDull, The Alumni (Hong Kong)
Dir: Samson Chiu Leung Chun. Prods: Peter Chan Ho Sun, Brian Tse Lap Man
Production Company: Applause Pictures Limited
Co-production Company: Bliss Concepts Limited

23. My Brother, My Sister (Chinese mainland)
Dir/prod: Zhu Wen
Production Company: China Film Assist Production Company

24. Odd Game (Hong Kong)
Dir: Vincci Cheuk. Prod: Jeff Lau Chun Wai
Production Company: Commercial Radio Productions Limited

25. Pulling Faces (Singapore/Japan)
Dir: Sandi Tan. Prod: Hisami Kuroiwa
Production Company: Media Space, Inc.

26. The Rape of Nanking (Chinese mainland)
Dir: Lu Chuan. Prod: Tian Zhuang Zhuang
Production Company: Lu Chuan Film Studio

27. Red Bickle (Chinese mainland)
Dir: Ning Hao. Prod: Lan Rui Long
Production Company: Ning Hao Gong Zuo Shi

28. The Tree of Destiny (Chinese mainland)
Dir: Lou Ye. Prod: Nai An
Production Company: Dream Factory

Berlinale Co-Production Market projects:title / director / production companies / country

- Carmo (Murilo Pasta), Aquafilms/ BR-3 Films UK, Argentina/ Great Britain
- The Host (Norberto L�pez), BocaBoca Producciones, Spain
- The Velvet Road (Cathal Black), Cathal Black Films/ David P. Kelly Productions, Ireland/Great Britain
- Prima Primavera (Janos Edelenyi), Cinema-Film/ Ipso Facto, Hungary/ Great Britain
- Krabat (Hans-Christian Schmid), Claussen+W�bke Filmproduktion GmbH, Germany
- Mongol. The Early Years of Genghis Khan (Sergei Bodrov), CTB Film Company, Russia
- Three Seasons in Hell (Tomas Masin), Dawson Productions, Czech Republic
- Victor Chicken (Dean Blumberg), DV8 Films, South Africa
- My Clara (Alan Lazar), EuroArts Medien/ My Clara LLC, Germany/ USA
- Fairy Ring (Benedek Fliegauf), Inforg Studio, Hungary
- My Queen Karo (Doroth�e van den Bergh), K2, Belgium
- The Cold Virgin (Raphael Vion), Les Films Du Safran, France
- Time On Two Legs (Jean Bojko), Link�s Productions, France
- The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar (Kasper Barfoed), M & M Productions, Denmark
- The Trouble With Sheldon (James Brett), MakeFilm, Great Britain
- What it Takes to Keep a Young Girl Alive (Chris Austin), Maverick Productions, South Africa
- The Climber�s Book (Leidulf Risan), Nordisk Film Norway, Norway
- Don't Cry For Me Europe (Andrej Kosak), Novi Val - NEW WAVE D.O.O., Slovenia
- Chasing the Stars (Nicholas Kendall), Orca Productions, Canada
- Then Again (Kelly Makin), Sienna Films, Canada
- The Balance of the Souls (Ferdinando Vicentini Orgnani), Sintra, Italy
- Shiver (Christina Andreef), Toi-Toi Films, Australia
- The Education of a Fairy (Jos� Luis Cuerda), Tornasol Films, Spain
- The Great Match (Gerardo Olivares), Wanda Films, Spain
Rotterdam-Berlinale Express:
- Hand of the Headless Man (Guillaume Malandrin), La Parti Production, Belgium
- The Miracle of Montlhery (Rana�an Alexandrowicz), Lama Films, Israel
- White Male Heart (David Mackenzie), Hepp Film/ Brocken Spectre, Sweden/ Great

Fletch F. Fletch

#17 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:11 pm

Some interesting casting news for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. BBC News reports that Stephen Fry is going to be the voice of the Guide. Nice! Here's the link.

And, David Fincher's next movie might be about The Zodiac Killer, who terrorised the San Francisco area over a period of twelve years (1966-1978) by killing at least 37 people (and was the inspiration for Scorpio in Dirty Harry. Here's the link.

Matt

#18 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:44 pm

I believe that's either the fifth or sixth title to come down the pike expected to be "Fincher's next picture." Let's see, there was The Black Dahlia, and Dogtown, and Benjamin Button, and whatever happened to Rendezvous with Rama? I'm sure there were others. I'm not believing anything until I'm sitting in the theater and see "Directed by David Fincher" on the screen.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#19 Post by dekadetia » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:02 pm

On the adaptation front...
Robert Zemeckis to Direct Beowulf
Source: Roger Avary

Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman have joined forces with Steve Bing and Robert Zemeckis to bring the oldest written English language myth, Beowulf, to the big screen through the magic of performance capture. Zemeckis will direct from the screenplay by Avary and Gaiman. The project will be financed by Shangri-La Entertainment, which is currently in discussions with Sony Pictures Entertainment to distribute all of its feature films. The film will be produced by Robert Zemeckis, Steve Starkey and Jack Rapke. Martin Shafer will serve as executive producer along with Avary and Gaiman.

Zemeckis is the acclaimed Academy Award-winning director of Forrest Gump as well as such major hit films as Cast Away, What Lies Beneath, Contact, the "Back to the Future" trilogy, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Romancing the Stone and Death Becomes Her.

Avary, who is an actual Viking descendant, won an Academy Award for his collaboration with Quentin Tarantino on Pulp Fiction, and is the writer/director of such acclaimed films as Killing Zoe and The Rules of Attraction. Avary is currently finishing the screenplay adaptation of the hit Konami videogame, "Silent Hill", for Producer Samuel Hadida and Tristar Pictures.

Gaiman is the Hugo and Nebula-Award winning author of such novels as "American Gods" and "Coraline," and is best known as the creator of DC Comics' legendary "Sandman". He wrote the English Language Script for the Miyazaki film Princess Mononoke. His first feature, MirrorMask, directed by Dave McKean, premieres at the Sundance Film Festival. His short film A Short Film About John Bolton was just released on DVD. Projects in development based on work by Gaiman include Coraline, which Henry Selick is writing and directing, and Stardust, with director Matthew Vaughn. Gaiman is writing and will be directing Death and Me, based on his DC Comics graphic novel "Death: The High Cost of Living" for New Line Cinema.
A meeting of diverse talents, for sure (too many cooks?)...and an "actual Viking descendant"! WOW! I guess it could be good.

And then there's this, notable for starring the recently-loathsome Gerard Butler and featuring a logo on the splash that makes it look like a production by high-school students. Looks interesting but I imagine it'll be largely ignored by comparison.
Last edited by dekadetia on Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

DrewReiber

#20 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:45 pm

dekadetia wrote:I guess it could be good.
I was following the script development, but now I would rather have my eyes gouged out by a hot spork then see a Zemeckis motion-capture film. Most of the people I know who saw Polar Express are still in recovery (the pain mentioned as recently as yesterday!). Luckily for me, I gave up on that CGI obsessed psycho over a decade ago. Glad to hear Stardust has a director, though.

Andre Jurieu

#21 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:24 pm

When they say Steve Bing, are they referring to Mr. Trust-fund-baby, Hollywood-Producer-tied-to-the-mafia, Impregnated-Liz-Hurley-then-denied-being-the-father-until-paternity-test-proved-otherwise, currently-dating-Nicole-Kidman-despite-objections-by-Naomi-Watts-and-Cole-Trickle? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Isn't Dogtown now being helmed by the woman who directed Thirteen? That should knock off one possible future Fincher project.

Fletch F. Fletch

#22 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 pm

matt wrote:I believe that's either the fifth or sixth title to come down the pike expected to be "Fincher's next picture." Let's see, there was The Black Dahlia, and Dogtown, and Benjamin Button, and whatever happened to Rendezvous with Rama? I'm sure there were others. I'm not believing anything until I'm sitting in the theater and see "Directed by David Fincher" on the screen.
Well, De Palma's doing Dahlia so scratch that one off Fincher's list. As someone pointed out Dogtown's being done by someone else. Here's the latest on Benjamin Button from Variety:
Deal would reunite Warners, Par and Fincher once again. The trio had recently coalesced around "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," but that pic evaporated after the studios declined to spend more than $150 million on the f/x-heavy tale.
And here's, what I hope is a tongue-in-cheek quote from the January issue of Empire from Fincher:
What might you ask, is David Fincher up to these days? Funny you should mention that, cos we called him up and asked... "What I am desperately trying to do is put this movie together that has been around for about 75 years at Paramount called The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," he tells The Insider. "It's based on an F.Scott Fitzgerald short story that's been adapted by Eric Roth. It's a little 200-page script; a sprawling romance between a woman of 30 and a man who, at 50, begins ageing backwards. It's dark, it's romantic, and it also deals with mortality in a pretty unflattering way. The guy is born in 1919 - with the film itself beginning in the Civil war, travelling around the world and carrying on all the way through to the year 2000. And we'd have to have the lead actor be recognisable from the ages of 18 to 85 years old." He pauses, and laughs. "We want to try and film it for just under $US300 million".
Last I heard re: Rama was that Fincher was still working on the logistics of the elaborate special effects/CGI needed for the film. I'd say we have a long wait on that one.

This site is a pretty good place for the most recent Fincher-related news.

exte

#23 Post by exte » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:16 am

neuro wrote:From imdb:
De Niro and Scorsese Discuss 'Taxi Driver' Sequel

Screen legend Robert De Niro has reunited with iconic director Martin Scorsese to work on a sequel to their classic movie Taxi Driver. The Oscar-winning actor, who starred as disturbed Vietnam veteran Travis Bickle in the 1976 film, has confirmed the movie veterans are mulling over script ideas for a follow-up to the gritty original. Apart from his comedy turn in Meet The Parents and its recent sequel Meet The Fockers, De Niro has starred in a series of flop films - and critics are hoping Travis Bickle's resurrection will restore his reputation as one of the greatest dramatic actors of all time. De Niro, 61, says, "I was talking with Martin Scorsese about doing what I guess you'd call a sequel to Taxi Driver, where he is older."
Excuse me?
What a terrible, terrible, terrible idea this is. For God's sake, what the hell is Marty thinking?? What's next, More Raging Bull?

DrewReiber

#24 Post by DrewReiber » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:48 pm

exte wrote:What a terrible, terrible, terrible idea this is. For God's sake, what the hell is Marty thinking?? What's next, More Raging Bull?
*IF* it gets made, I'll wait and see what Scosese does with it. He's one of the few contemporary filmmakers in my mind who hasn't lost his common sense yet. As long as he is the one minding this project, I'll hold off judgement until it's on the screen. If someone else becomes involved, I could care less.

devlinnn

#25 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:47 pm

Stop me if you think you have heard this one before -

'During production on his latest movie, an aging cowboy star walks away from the set and heads out on a journey of self-discovery.'

Called 'Don't Come Knockin' (oh, the irony) it's great to see Wim Wenders back working with Sam Shepard, who co-writes and plays the lead. Cast includes Jessica Lange, Eva Marie Saint, Tim Roth and Sarah Polley.

God love Wenders for feeling 'cowboy stars' still exist. I'm really looking forward to this already.

btw - has anyone seen or heard about Wenders last film Land of Plenty?