New Films in Production

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: New Films in Production

#1676 Post by knives » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 pm

That's a separate project that they are still doing.

Grand Illusion

#1677 Post by Grand Illusion » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 am

Another film about someone in the industry? Jeez, get a hobby.

Zumpano

#1678 Post by Zumpano » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm

knives wrote:That's a separate project that they are still doing.
Warner Bros producing, Joaquin attached to star

Alan Smithee

#1679 Post by Alan Smithee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Grand Illusion wrote:Another film about someone in the industry? Jeez, get a hobby.
This was my first thought as well. At the same time he always makes these self-reflexive/reflective films(I'm counting Synechdoche it's not film but still directing) about something else. I mean Adaptation is about screenwriting to a degree but its mostly about Adaptation itself. If he wants to continue along that route he could find himself in the company of Godard when it comes to greats using filmmaking as a way to talk about everything.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1680 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 am

Since we no longer have a working Paz de la Huerta thread, not only does she drop a choice Amy Winehouse-related quote in this Observer article, but she also mentions that she's directing a film
Paz de la Huerta wrote:I’m finishing directing a film of mine,” she said. “It’s my version of The Red Shoes…. [It’s] about a woman who‘s unique, and lives in a small village, and is ostracized for being different, for being talented, and then she makes a horrible mistake and because the people in the village are so—you know—jealous of her, they don’t forgive her,” she sighed, “and we are all human, you know. And we all suffer.”

Presumably, she associated with her protagonist? “Well, I play her,” she noted.
I think Vincent Gallo just came

knives

#1681 Post by knives » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:13 am

Gallo can at least speak in sentences and is funny.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1682 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 am

I wish I'd been tipped off sooner that she has so much of value to add to any conversational topic. I am legit fascinated by her... let's call it perspective on life

Mr Sausage

#1683 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:44 am

I think she's directed a series of short films. I believe that's actually the reason Gaspar Noe cast her in Enter the Void, because she had experience behind the camera. Forget his reasoning on that one.

I actually share Domino's fascination with her. She's unusual in a way that's transfixing.

flyonthewall2983

#1685 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 am

It appears Fox has secured the rights to adapt the book ESPN: Those Guys Have All The Fun. Dan Patrick appeared on Keith Olbermann's show last night to talk about the book, and here is a clip of them spit-balling ideas for casting. Domino, you may want to skip the first 45 seconds.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1686 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 am

Now that was a fun read, but a good movie? I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I really hope they see fit to immortalize this dramatically, though:

zedz

#1687 Post by zedz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Paz de la Huerta wrote:"I’m finishing directing a film of mine,” she said. “It’s my version of The Red Shoes…. [It’s] about a woman who‘s unique, and lives in a small village, and is ostracized for being different, for being talented, and then she makes a horrible mistake and because the people in the village are so—you know—jealous of her, they don’t forgive her,” she sighed, “and we are all human, you know. And we all suffer.”
That description doesn't sound much like The Red Shoes to me. Does she mean The Scarlet Letter? (Does she know the difference?)

dx23

#1688 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:It appears Fox has secured the rights to adapt the book ESPN: Those Guys Have All The Fun. Dan Patrick appeared on Keith Olbermann's show last night to talk about the book, and here is a clip of them spit-balling ideas for casting. Domino, you may want to skip the first 45 seconds.
Weird to see that Disney didn't pickup. They are the parent company of ESPN and I don't doubt that Fox will go out of their way to make them look bad.

flyonthewall2983

#1689 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Not strange Disney didn't pick it up, but it is a bit peculiar it has been picked up by a company with their own sports network.

Stefan Andersson

#1690 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:22 am

More news about the films being planned as part of the Portuguese city of Guimaraes being named European Capital of Culture 2012. One film, called Histories (or Stories?) of Cinema, will be a feature made up of six shorts by Manoel de Oliveira, Pedro Costa, Jean-Luc Godard (shooting in Sarajevo), Peter Greenaway, Aki Kaurismaki, Victor Erice.
There will also be 12 short films of 26 minutes, called Stories of Guimaraes, directed by Joao Botelho, John Canijo, Joao Pedro Rodrigues, based themes and mythologies of the city.
The third project is called New Visions of Guimarães, a collection of ten short films by young directors.

FerdinandGriffon

#1691 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:More news about the films being planned as part of the Portuguese city of Guimaraes being named European Capital of Culture 2012. One film, called Histories (or Stories?) of Cinema, will be a feature made up of six shorts by Manoel de Oliveira, Pedro Costa, Jean-Luc Godard (shooting in Sarajevo), Peter Greenaway, Aki Kaurismaki, Victor Erice.
There will also be 12 short films of 26 minutes, called Stories of Guimaraes, directed by Joao Botelho, John Canijo, Joao Pedro Rodrigues, based themes and mythologies of the city.
The third project is called New Visions of Guimarães, a collection of ten short films by young directors.
That's just insanely good news.

Finch

#1692 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Paul Schrader to direct Bait from a Bret Easton Ellis script: the story will focus on a worker at an expensive beach club who takes revenge on its wealthy and obnoxious members by steering their yacht into shark-infested waters.

Roger Ryan

#1693 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:42 pm

A confirmation that the new BLADE RUNNER film will be directed by Scott.

Why do I get the feeling that Scott's next film will be something inspired by LEGEND!

matrixschmatrix

#1694 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Thelma & Louise 2

knives

#1695 Post by knives » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm actually not bothered by this news since it's always interesting to see how a director has changed and what better way to highlight this than with the same material?

flyonthewall2983

#1696 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 pm

I agree, and I'd go one step further and think out loud what it would be like if he got some of the people who he collaborated with behind the camera on this. We all know Trumbull might be back in the game since he did Tree Of Life, and Vangelis is still around.

Mr Sausage

#1697 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Unfortunately, this new Blade Runner will be all CGI, and despite their cutting edge nature, the effects will be quite a bit less impressive than what was achieved on the original movie. Plus it's unlikely Scott will do something strange and non-commercial like the first one.

matrixschmatrix

#1698 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 am

Well, it's possible that the connection to a well-remembered property like Blade Runner will be enough of a marketing hook to allow the movie to wander off into perversely non-commercial territory, and I don't know that we can safely judge how well executed the effects will be until we see them- I don't think that CGI is inherently less impressive than well-executed practical effects, even if that's nearly always the case.

There's certainly plenty of territory left to explore without repeating the first movie, or dragging out points that were left ambiguous- hopefully, this will be something connected but not a direct sequel, as Prometheus apparently will be. I would be interested to see Scott's take on the territories- we never actually get there in either Blade Runner or Do Androids Dream, but similar settings are explored fairly thoroughly in other Dick works, and I would love to see Martian Time-Slip or the colony parts of The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch in a movie.

Mr Sausage

#1699 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Well, it's possible that the connection to a well-remembered property like Blade Runner will be enough of a marketing hook to allow the movie to wander off into perversely non-commercial territory
I assume Ridley Scott can do whatever he likes at this point. And what he likes to do, judging from the last decade or so, is pretty straightforward and commercial in all the ways that Blade Runner wasn't. He's a completely different filmmaker than he was while making his third feature.
matrixschmatrix wrote:and I don't know that we can safely judge how well executed the effects will be until we see them- I don't think that CGI is inherently less impressive than well-executed practical effects, even if that's nearly always the case.
I think they will be executed superbly. There's no reason to suppose they won't be. They will still be less impressive, tho'. As to whether or not this is inherent to CGI, I'll just say that the level of difficulty to be overcome is as important to the impressiveness of special effects as anything else, and CGI has allowed filmmakers to do pretty much anything rather easily.

knives

#1700 Post by knives » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Creating effective CGI isn't that easy if that's your argument. There are many hours of tedious work involved and just one frame of animation has a lot of working components to it. There are reasons why CGI is generally not as effective, but that isn't one in the least.