Breakfast On Pluto (Neil Jordan, 2005)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:39 am

Now this I gotta see - a cross-dressing Cillian Murphy? Liam Neeson playing a priest? Glam Rock?! Move over guys and girls, this is this season's Velvet Goldmine!

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/sy ... lr_300.mov

Doctor Sunshine

#2 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:10 pm

Actually, It's a really shitty movie.

The main character is a one-dimension, naive smart ass that takes turns at all of the worst gay stereotypes. Drag queen, street walker, peep show employee, make-over show host. Among most annoying leads I've seen in a movie. Although, I suppose the grating personality is essential to the plot as he overcomes all of his adversities by irritating the the antagonists into leaving him alone. That said, if you like movies that cater to the homosexual demographic this movie does succeed in being extemely panderous.

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:11 am

So basically you didn't like it because the main character was too gay for you?

ben d banana

#4 Post by ben d banana » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:18 am

from TIFF thread
Grimfarrow wrote:BREAKFAST ON PLUTO by Neil Jordan - first film I walked out on during the fest. Horrible - the worst performance by Cillian Murphy. And birds that are subtitled? You've gotta be kidding, Neil.

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:42 am

I never trust Grimfarrow and his takes on films. Sorry.

leo goldsmith

#6 Post by leo goldsmith » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:18 pm

The subtitled birds are indeed ridiculous, but fortunately they only show up in the beginning and end. Also, Jordan's explanation for their purpose at the press conference made me think better of them.

But overall I enjoyed this film a lot. The lead performance seems to be a sort of love-or-hate type of thing, but I found it impressive in its tenacity. I've already written on this film over at notcoming.com (mainly about the film's political content, which I think quite smart), so I don't know how much more I can muster here. But I would at very least recommend the film and am a little bewildered that it inspires such negative reactions in some people.

ben d banana

#7 Post by ben d banana » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:24 pm

Annie Mall wrote:I never trust Grimfarrow and his takes on films. Sorry.
Well how often does that happen, we agree. Still, subtext.

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:07 pm

leo goldsmith wrote:The subtitled birds are indeed ridiculous, but fortunately they only show up in the beginning and end. Also, Jordan's explanation for their purpose at the press conference made me think better of them.
Birds seem to be a big thing right now over with the british. Kate Bush has just released a double-album (to rave reviews) all about our feathered friends, apparently.

ellipsis7

#9 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:41 pm

I haven't seen this yet, but the world from the set is that Jordan was in creative overdive throughout the shoot... It's the same team that made THE BUTCHER BOY... Patrick McCabe the novelist, and co-screenwriter with Jordan... Also revisits some themes from THE CRYING GAME... Has he overstretched himself? I'm looking forward to making my own judgement... Some have also likened its structure to a kind of Irish FOREST GUMP...

leo goldsmith

#10 Post by leo goldsmith » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:56 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:Some have also likened its structure to a kind of Irish FOREST GUMP...
Zzzzzzz ...

ellipsis7

#11 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:14 pm

Structure not substance!....

NJ also apparently also attempts to pivot the plot and surprise through a major Act II mid point, a la crying game... Always difficult to pull off, but power to him, in that he has succeeded before...

Doctor Sunshine

#12 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:24 pm

Annie Mall wrote:So basically you didn't like it because the main character was too gay for you?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Now excuse me while I go and hug and kiss some poisonous snakes.

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:51 am

Wow, you are keen.

ellipsis7

#14 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:02 am

BTW Priest Liam Neeson is the father of the Cillian Murphy character by his housekeeper...

Lino

#15 Post by Lino » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:21 am

Thanks for spoiling that too. Man, this thread is starting to get even more weirder than the film's title... :roll:

Grimfarrow

#16 Post by Grimfarrow » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:16 pm

Annie Mall wrote:I never trust Grimfarrow and his takes on films. Sorry.
Hah! I wouldn't be doing what I do if my taste is that bad.

Lino

#17 Post by Lino » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:55 pm

Was that supposed to be taken seriously? Sorry again, but film critics are the last thing I check out when I want to know what a movie is like. Most of the time, I just go by instinct. And I rarely fail. And no, I don't want your job.

(hmm, this might have sounded a bit harsh but I said sorry)

Andre Jurieu

#18 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Is Grimfarrow even a film-critic? I was under the impression that he was a programmer.
Annie Mall wrote:So basically you didn't like it because the main character was too gay for you?
That is not at all what the Doctor is saying.

Michael

#19 Post by Michael » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Actually, It's a really shitty movie.

The main character is a one-dimension, naive smart ass that takes turns at all of the worst gay stereotypes. Drag queen, street walker, peep show employee, make-over show host. Among most annoying leads I've seen in a movie. Although, I suppose the grating personality is essential to the plot as he overcomes all of his adversities by irritating the the antagonists into leaving him alone. That said, if you like movies that cater to the homosexual demographic this movie does succeed in being extemely panderous.
This is so wrong. Patricia (the Cillian Murphy character) is not gay. She's a pre-op transgender. She identifies herself as a complete woman who insists on being called either Patricia or Kitten. In the film, Patricia is attracted to men but if she's attracted to women, then that makes her a lesbian. This film caters to all demographics except the ones who aren't comfortable with who they are unless they have no heart or brain.

Doctor Sunshine

#20 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:10 am

Thank you for the semantics lesson. She is an annoying, shallow cliche.

jorencain

#21 Post by jorencain » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:18 am

So, Michael, did you enjoy it? I have liked most of the Neil Jordan films I've seen, but have been hesitant about this one, mostly due to the negative reviews on here. And I worry about a comedy from Jordan; it seems like a little bit of a stretch.

Michael

#22 Post by Michael » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:27 am

Without spoiling anything for you. I wouldn't call Breakfast on Pluto a comedy. With a lot of sadness and horror going on in the film, the film is wierdly sweet, tender and breezy... with a cupful of whimisical touches, like the robins introducing and concluding the film. Visually it's a feast. It drew me me in, it took me to places I did not expect, it gave me an experience you simply can not find every day in our cookie-cutter world these days.

I came away from the film with a warm feeling in my heart for the characters and the story. You will be fine with Pluto if you have a big heart; if you like something different, something unexpected and something unusual made with a lot of love; if you have no problem with dramas/films adopting "Irish fairy tale" qualities; if you like The Butcher Boy (which resembles Pluto very much). I like Pluto a lot more than The Crying Game and The End of the Affair if that means anything to you.

Lino

#23 Post by Lino » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:48 pm

Butcher Boy and Breakfast on Pluto are both adaptations of two books by Patrick McCabe, that's why they have the same feel.

I'm glad you took Breakfast(...) to your heart, Michael. I watched it earlier this year at the theatre and loved its unique brand of humour and its kind of "always look on the bright side of life" sort of way of dealing with life's miseries. Cillian really is a revelation in the main role and I'm sure this will turn out to be a cult favorite in years to come.

And like you said, it really is a fairytale. So, if you really believe in fairies, start clapping now!

leo goldsmith

#24 Post by leo goldsmith » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:05 pm

I'm dumbfounded by the negative reviews this has received, which I can only blame on lazy criticism. The protagonist is very far from naïve (and indeed very far from being a cliché) and, with the film, expresses a fascinating politics through an aggressively apolitical stance. The reading that s/he is an innocent abroad is so far off the mark I wonder that proponents of it have seen the same film I have.

I've got something on it here, but more highly recommended is the excellent symposium on Jordan's work over at Reverse Shot.

Michael

#25 Post by Michael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:48 am

Why is that The Butcher Boy hasn't been out on DVD anywhere!

Anyway, when it comes to transgender films, I really like Transamerica - a quaint little film. Lifshitz's Wild Side has my favorite transgender character Stephanie. This is the film I recommend with boundless passion to everyone every day.