New Animated Features and Shorts

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Lino

New Animated Features and Shorts

#1 Post by Lino » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:07 pm

I think this could be a very nice idea. You could use this thread kind of like an interactive journal where one can write about 21st century produced animation feature films, shorts and TV series that have managed to make an impression on you recently.

So, I'd like to start off with one film that seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere it plays. It's also being lauded as the film that will once again revolutionize anime much like Akira did two decades back. It's called Mind Game and a simple rundown of the plot is nigh on impossible. Suffice to say that the visuals alone are enough to keep you glued along this amazing ride. On top of that however, there's a great story too! But this guy here says it better than me.

Go find it and then share your thoughts!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:32 pm

Three recommendations, none brand-new -- but all keepers.

The most light-hearted -- Azumanga Daioh -- follows a group of girls throughout the course of high school

Very funny, very un-cliched -- and sometime touching

The most moving (and most visually beautiful) -- Haibane Renmei, both designed and written by Yoshitoshi Abe:

Texhnolyze -- Very dark, very violent -- the most visually stunning animated film (albeit a 10 hour one) I've seen. Designed by Abe (see above), conceived and written by the team that created "Serial Experiment Lain."

Fletch F. Fletch

#3 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Thanks for the links. I really love Lain and have been meaning to get into this one. I've seen a few episodes of digital cable and it seemed pretty cool.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:07 pm

The best Texhnolyze site seems (not inappropriately) to have melted away into the Internet Ether....

Necessary semi-spoiler.....

Some people have been so bummed out by the ending that they retroactively down-rated the show. I, on the other hand, was deeply impressed (perhaps in spite of myself). Lain is pretty cheery compared to this.

;~}

Cinéslob

#5 Post by Cinéslob » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Funny, as soon as I saw this thread, I thought of Mind Game!

As much as I love the work of Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, Yoshifumi Kondou, the rest of Studio Ghibli, Mamoru Oshii, Katsuhiro Ôtomo and innumerable others, I was beginning to feel recently that the whole anime scene was in a creatively moribund state. Mind Game, in comparison, is the animated film being reinvented in front of your very eyes. It's astonishing to see an animated film so impetuous, carefree, brimming with vitality - a universe away from the measured, restrained, clean lines and strokes one has complacently come to expect of Japan's best animation.

If were anyone with even a passing interest in animation, I'd skip that review (any scene in Mind Game is far too precious and striking to risk spoiling), and just slap down an order for the Japanese DVD right away. An astounding film, with almost a Vertovian overtone of perpetually consummated experiment.

My substitute suggestion for the thread, now that Annie's 'stolen' my initial choice; Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent, which is almost as spectacular as Mind Game, but in in altogether more psychologically imposing manner. The series focuses on a number of street assaults in Tokyo committed by a phantasmagoric youth, wielding a golden baseball-bat. That a minor in the eyes of the law could perpetuate such crimes (and, almost as importantly, remain uncaught) whips the media and the public into a frenzy of hysteria, leading onto, well...

Although this post doesn't require yet more hyperbole, I found Paranoia Agent to be the most exciting and interesting animation series since Shinichirô Watanabe's now-iconic Cowboy Bebop, which is high praise indeed. Although one could well sniff at Kon's overt ruminations into contemporary Japanese society, I found Paranoia Agent too intriguing (and entertaining) to agree with such a position. Great stuff, which seems to have already been shown in America, rendering my recommendation somewhat tautological. Hmph.
Last edited by Cinéslob on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:57 pm

I've given up on Kon. While I liked "Millennium Actress" tolerably well (despite some big flaws), I was totally underwhelmed by "Perfect Blue" and "Tokyo godfathers". Since I don't really care for his character designs much -- I've given "Paranoia Agent" a pass. I prefer the work of the Lain team members.

Speaking of which -- "Kino's Journeys" was directed by the director of Lain -- and used some of the visual team from "Boogiepop Phantom". This is a very episodic series -- but the best bits are very good. Sort of like animated short stories by Borges.

Cinéslob

#7 Post by Cinéslob » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I've given up on Kon. While I liked "Millennium Actress" tolerably well (despite some big flaws), I was totally underwhelmed by "Perfect Blue" and "Tokyo godfathers". Since I don't really care for his character designs much -- I've given "Paranoia Agent" a pass. I prefer the work of the Lain team members.
Although this could hardly be considered a befitting reply to your indifference to Kon's work, I just had to post this wonderful filmic reference to be found in the second episode of Paranoia Agent, titled (funnily enough) as The Golden Shoes:

Quite, quite charming.
Last edited by Cinéslob on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:05 pm

Maybe someday I'll tackle Kon's latest. But since I'm violence averse as a general rule, it's a bit hard to motivate me to pick this up (despite your cute screen shot).

My preference is more for "Boys over Flowers" -- but that's so old it probably belongs on the other list. ;~}

Arn777

#9 Post by Arn777 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:15 pm

I am sold on Mind Game. Could somebody please be kind enough to provide a link to the Standard Edition on Amazon JP. I can only get Mind Game Remix. I found it on CD Japan, but Amazon is a bit cheaper.

I really like Kon, except for Tokyo Godfather which left me cold. My favorite of his is still his Magnetic Rose segment from Memories.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#10 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:18 pm

A hint -- one can often find things on Amazon Japan by searching by the catalog number (which one can find on CD Japan). While Amazon is often considerably cheaper for pre-orders -- I find that CD Japan and Amazon are often pretty much the same price for older stock items.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#11 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Joshua Smith of AniPages Daily has been trying to introduce this film to American audiences since the film came out. I really don't know much about the movie, outside of what I seen in previews and stills. Cartoon Brew usually has updates on this film once a month.

Just watch the trailer to get a good feel for what it is. The film was shown at New York's MoMA, and so far it's only the second screening of this film shown in the states.

Usually, I'm not too big a fan of anime outside of Miyazaki. Anybody have any recomendations?

Cinéslob

#12 Post by Cinéslob » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:19 am

Arn777 wrote:I am sold on Mind Game. Could somebody please be kind enough to provide a link to the Standard Edition on Amazon JP. I can only get Mind Game Remix. I found it on CD Japan, but Amazon is a bit cheaper.
This should be the right one.

Arn777

#13 Post by Arn777 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:23 am

Yep, it is thanks. I tried with the catalog number, but got nowehere.

Fletch F. Fletch

#14 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:24 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Usually, I'm not too big a fan of anime outside of Miyazaki. Anybody have any recomendations?
It goes without saying that Katsuhiro Otomo's work is worth checking out: Akira and Steamboy are both excellent movies.

Lino

#15 Post by Lino » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:45 am

Arn777 wrote:I am sold on Mind Game. Could somebody please be kind enough to provide a link to the Standard Edition on Amazon JP. I can only get Mind Game Remix. I found it on CD Japan, but Amazon is a bit cheaper.
I always use yesasia.com. Free shipping worldwide is always a big plus for me.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#16 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:45 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Usually, I'm not too big a fan of anime outside of Miyazaki. Anybody have any recomendations?
You mean, besides "Azumanga Daioh", "Haibane Renmei" and "Texhnolyze"? (see above) ;~}

If all you have seen of the Ghibli films are those of Miyazaki, I would recommend that you try out the work of his senior partner, Isao Takahata. All of Takahata's mature works are master works (or awfully close) -- my favorites are "Goshu the Cellist", "Grave of the Fireflies", "Our Neighbors the Yamadas" and (above all) "Only Yesterday". "Chie the Pest" and "Pom Poko" are also nothing to disdain.

Then there are the younger directors who have tackled Ghibli films. The best of these, Yoshifumi Kondo (a long time colleague of both Takahata and Miyazaki -- who was intended to be their "heir") unfortunately died at a young age -- having directed only the wonderful "Whisper of the Heart". Tomomichi Mochizuki's "Ocean Waves" is an inexplicably neglected Ghibli film (perhaps its focus on youths at the end of high school makes it harder to market). Only "Cat Returns" strikes me as a good but comparatively weak effort.

Jem

#17 Post by Jem » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:10 am

Usually, I'm not too big a fan of anime outside of Miyazaki. Anybody have any recomendations?
One of my favorites is the small but beautiful "Porco Rosso" by Studio Ghibli + Madman seem to have a great Anime collection.

solaris72

#18 Post by solaris72 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:04 am

MIND GAME will be playing at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge on the 14th and 15th, as part of the Boston Fantastic Film Festival.

Lino

#19 Post by Lino » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:54 am

After hearing so many complaints about the US edition of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, I went and ordered the japanese international edition below:

Suffice to say, it did not disapoint. White, small subtitles and translation made by none other than our very own Linda Hoaglund of HVe Fukasaku fame. Top notch all around.

And what can I say about the movie? Is this Oshii's masterpiece or what? And this coming from someone who didn't care much for the first Ghost in the Shell, this second journey into the cybernetic world of androids and cyborgs and virtual programming is one I will take many, many times. It definitely rewards multiple viewings much like the other Oshii work mentioned on the other thread, Angel's Egg.

Oshii's influences are clearly on display here, from western literature and religions to a certain way of imprinting tone to a moving piece of film like only the japanese can do. Add to this, a truly visual feast of images that seem to parade non-stop before your eyes. This truly has got to be the most impressively visual animated film in a long, long time. A tour-de-force, no less of creative visual imagination.

But does the story live up to its grand ambitions? I am forced to say yes because the level of maturity both in the text and the storytelling is of a high caliber and for me it was a pleasure to see that all these years Oshii has been developing a kind of personal philosophy all his own by mixing all his influences and passions together. It's a vision of life that only exists in his head but it's very interesting nonetheless and really worth exploring.

See it, of course.

Lino

#20 Post by Lino » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:35 am

I just recently blind-bought the amazing Dead Leaves on DVD having only seen the online trailer to be found here:

http://www.dead-leaves.com/

Wow! What a ride! I'm glad this animation is only 50 minutes long because if this was feature length I would probably end up an epileptic by the time it ended! Non-stop hyper-kinetic action right from the start, this crazy piece of animation just doesn't let go its recklessly relentless rhythm (try to say that three times!) and you pretty much feel exhausted at the end. Very inovative indeed (the color pattern itself is very unusual with lots of purples and greens), this experimental piece goes all the way in terms of visual excess and even language wise too!

Please excuse all the exclamation marks but if you have seen it, you surely understand how hyperbolic Dead Leaves really is. Check it out if you can.

Lino

#21 Post by Lino » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:10 am

Check out the trailer for the latest Jan Svankmajer surrealist feast here!

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:31 am

Follow this link for some info on master japanese animator Kihachiro Kawamoto's new film, The Book of Dead:

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004369.html#more

Kawamoto has specialized in stop-motion animation and he even got to work with one of the all time masters, Jiri Trnka. This new project of his was completely privately funded (be it by anonymous friends or by his fans!) and it's sure to become a classic of the genre in years to come. If you want to know more about his past work, there is a japanese DVD with english subs available that is a real gem:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... on-videos/

htdm

#23 Post by htdm » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:52 pm

I really second that. The Kawamoto disc is part of a wonderful DVD series called the New Animation Animation Series which includes works by Jiri Trnka, Norman Mclaren, Raoul Servais, Karel Zeman, Co Hoedeman, Yuri Norshtein, works by the NFB, and some truly lovely Shanghai Animation. Some of these titles were released on Laserdisc by Pioneer several years ago as part of their "Animation, Animation" series and have been cleaned up for DVD with new titles added.
The titles most relevant to this thread include:

Kuri Yoji Sakuhinshu
Kuri is not only an animator but also an important member of Japan's avant-garde. His short work Chair is a veritable Who's Who of the Japanese art world of the 50s and 60s. This DVD includes titles that were not available on the LD issue.

Yamamura Koji Sakuhinshu
This includes the Oscar-winning Mt. Head (Atama yama)

Tezuka Osamu Jiken animeshon sakuhinshu
While most people know Tezuka Osamu by his works such as Atom Boy or Kimba the White Lion, this is a collection of his experimental animation -- many of which are extremely rare.

By the way, anyone interested in Kawamoto might want to check out this wonderful interview with him by Jasper Sharp at the Midnight Eye.

Lino

#24 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:22 am

Follow this link for a very amusing article on the fact that there are a lot of recent european animated films that aren't getting the american exposure they deserve:

Lino

#25 Post by Lino » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:53 am

Here's a sneak peak at the next Aardman feature: Flushed Away