Snakes on a Plane (David R. Ellis, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
jcelwin

#26 Post by jcelwin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:30 pm

Why is everyone so enthusiastic about this movie? It doesn't even look good.

Dylan

#27 Post by Dylan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Yes, the film looks really stupid so I guess that's the point, everybody thinks it's going to be the next great bad movie or something.

There is also a 'fake tagline' thread on the IMDB and somebody contributed,

"Hiss, you speak it mother F*cker?"

Think about it, how many people would see it based off of that tagline alone?

Kirkinson

#28 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:38 pm

A friend of mine recently remarked that the film really can't lose because everyone wants to see it and no one expects it to be good. If the trailer tried to make the movie look legitimately good it would probably scare away most of its audience, just like what almost happened when the title was momentarily changed to "Pacific Air Flight 121." The theatres are full of Hollywood movies like this that try to sell themselves as truly scary or gripping thrillers. It's refreshing to see a film like "Snakes on a Plane" which not only isn't being sold as anything other than what it is, but is in fact rejoicing in its own ridiculousness.

Matt

#29 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:55 pm

jcelwin wrote:Why is everyone so enthusiastic about this movie?
Because it's called Snakes on a Plane.

leo goldsmith

#30 Post by leo goldsmith » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:40 am

Kirkinson wrote:A friend of mine recently remarked that the film really can't lose because everyone wants to see it and no one expects it to be good. If the trailer tried to make the movie look legitimately good it would probably scare away most of its audience, just like what almost happened when the title was momentarily changed to "Pacific Air Flight 121." The theatres are full of Hollywood movies like this that try to sell themselves as truly scary or gripping thrillers. It's refreshing to see a film like "Snakes on a Plane" which not only isn't being sold as anything other than what it is, but is in fact rejoicing in its own ridiculousness.
For this reason, I was sort of hoping they'd find a way of combining this film with the equally absurd (for different reasons) Flight 93. I'm sure it can be done. Someone call the internet.

obloquy

#31 Post by obloquy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:44 am

Kirkinson wrote:It's refreshing to see a film like "Snakes on a Plane" which not only isn't being sold as anything other than what it is, but is in fact rejoicing in its own ridiculousness.
This is a remarkably sibilant sentence. "...ridiculousnesssss."

solaris72

#32 Post by solaris72 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:22 pm

Len

#33 Post by Len » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:28 pm

They HAVE TO make shirts with that logo. I'd buy a dozen.

Dylan

#34 Post by Dylan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:11 pm

At least it's more than official that they're marketing this as one gigantic b-movie. With a logo like that you'd think it'd star people in snake suits as the monsters and Indiana Jones.

People online are speculating this will be the next "Showgirls." Any takers on that?

MikeATF

#35 Post by MikeATF » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 pm

solaris72

#36 Post by solaris72 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Brian Oblivious

#37 Post by Brian Oblivious » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:18 am

Dylan wrote:
People online are speculating this will be the next "Showgirls." Any takers on that?

What do these people online mean by that? The next midnight movie sensation? The next film for the likes of Jacques Rivette to call "one of the great American films of the last few years"? The next DVD to be released in a collector's box containing shotglasses and playing cards?

If so, I'm a taker.

Jeff

#38 Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:51 am

Whereas many films have to undergo significant editing to receive a contractually required PG-13 rating, Snakes has naturally decided to go a different route. The film has recently undergone five days of reshoots in order to add "more gore, more death, more nudity, more snakes and more death scenes," and bump the film up to an R rating.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=13746

Dylan

#39 Post by Dylan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:07 am

Brian Oblivious wrote:
Dylan wrote:

What do these people online mean by that? The next midnight movie sensation? The next film for the likes of Jacques Rivette to call "one of the great American films of the last few years"? The next DVD to be released in a collector's box containing shotglasses and playing cards?

If so, I'm a taker.
You can bet there will be shotglasses and playing cards included in the DVD release of "Snakes on a Plane." And I'm sure everyone loves the shot of the snake dangling in front of the screaming guy, who grabbed it thinking it was an oxygen mask.

This entire film exists solely for audience participation so much that it should be in 3-D!

Only five months left until release. Can the fad survive? Will that many people even see it?

ben d banana

#40 Post by ben d banana » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:17 am

The gf had a Snakes On A Plane dream last night. I'm a lucky man!

cafeman

#41 Post by cafeman » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:57 am

From Imdb.com

Jackson's Snake Film Creates Huge Buzz

Samuel L. Jackson's new mile-high thriller Snakes On A Plane has created such a buzz among internet film fans, movie bosses have called for re-shoots - to give the film a tougher rating. The film, which stars Jackson as an FBI agent trying to keep a federal witness alive onboard a plane full of snakes, wrapped last September - but went back before the cameras earlier this month for five days of additional shooting. Film bosses at distributor New Line Cinema opted to add new scenes to the film to take the movie from PG-13 into R-rated territory, according to industry magazine The Hollywood Reporter. They claim the second round of filming became necessary after intense and growing fan interest in the film, which is scheduled to be released this summer. Among the reported additions to the film is a foul-mouthed rant from Jackson in which his agent character bellows, "I want these motherf**king snakes off the motherf**king plane!" The line is expected to take on cult status. The film-makers have reportedly added more gore, more deaths, more nudity and more snakes to the finished product.

... :D
I actually checked to make sure it`s not April 1st.

dx23

#42 Post by dx23 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 pm

cafeman wrote:From Imdb.com

Jackson's Snake Film Creates Huge Buzz

Samuel L. Jackson's new mile-high thriller Snakes On A Plane has created such a buzz among internet film fans, movie bosses have called for re-shoots - to give the film a tougher rating. The film, which stars Jackson as an FBI agent trying to keep a federal witness alive onboard a plane full of snakes, wrapped last September - but went back before the cameras earlier this month for five days of additional shooting. Film bosses at distributor New Line Cinema opted to add new scenes to the film to take the movie from PG-13 into R-rated territory, according to industry magazine The Hollywood Reporter. They claim the second round of filming became necessary after intense and growing fan interest in the film, which is scheduled to be released this summer. Among the reported additions to the film is a foul-mouthed rant from Jackson in which his agent character bellows, "I want these motherf**king snakes off the motherf**king plane!" The line is expected to take on cult status. The film-makers have reportedly added more gore, more deaths, more nudity and more snakes to the finished product.

... :D
I actually checked to make sure it`s not April 1st.
Oh, Jesus #-o It's true that this film has taken a cult like status on the Internet, but this is getting ridiculous. This film looks and smells like crap, so the final product should be crap.

Dylan

#43 Post by Dylan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Oh yes, it looks awful. But for some reason I can't stop laughing about it when it comes up. Surely the mileage won't resonate five months. However, I still think it should be in 3-D.

And Ben, I'm sure from now on all girls will dream Snakes on a Plane.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#44 Post by Faux Hulot » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:29 pm

Keep up with all the latest at snakesonablog.com. You can even download an album's worth of snakes-inspired songs, like this brilliant ditty:

"Now they're crawling all in my coffee
Oh it's appalling, they won't get off me!
There has got to be much more to it
This can't be a movie, no it's too damned stupid --
Snakes On A Plane!"

Jean-Luc Garbo

#45 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:52 pm

What's this about Jacques Rivette and Showgirls?

Brian Oblivious

#46 Post by Brian Oblivious » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Dear Catastrophe Totoro

#47 Post by Dear Catastrophe Totoro » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 pm

cafeman wrote:Among the reported additions to the film is a foul-mouthed rant from Jackson in which his agent character bellows, "I want these motherf**king snakes off the motherf**king plane!" The line is expected to take on cult status.

The funniest thing I've read this week, for sure. Something about this film is making my soul ache, like a voice inside me saying, "If Michael Eisner didn't kill film as art, Snakes on a Plane will." But then I remember Road House. If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

I really might have to see this film. Er, movie. Er...what? This collection of 129,600 frames shown at a speed of 24 per second, which causes the illusion of movement for human eye, which tells the brain it is seeing actual movement?

leo goldsmith

#48 Post by leo goldsmith » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:36 pm

Faux Hulot wrote:Keep up with all the latest at snakesonablog.com. You can even download an album's worth of snakes-inspired songs, like this brilliant ditty:

"Now they're crawling all in my coffee
Oh it's appalling, they won't get off me!
There has got to be much more to it
This can't be a movie, no it's too damned stupid --
Snakes On A Plane!"
Oh god. Listening to that NPR story made me realize that the thing that will ruin this movie for me is these fucking nerds who have nothing better to do than create bad Stone/Parker impersonations in hopes of modest internet notoriety.

Schkura

#49 Post by Schkura » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:19 am

rs98762001

#50 Post by rs98762001 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:24 pm

That's it. I'm done with SNAKES ON A PLANE. There's no way it could live up to the hype anymore.