Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance / Oldboy / Lady Vengeance (Park Chan-wook, 2002/2003/2005)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
ben d banana

#26 Post by ben d banana » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 pm

Tartan USA are sure to release this on DVD soon enough. They also have the Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance rights so one would hope we'll see that as an RI as well.

who is bobby dylan

#27 Post by who is bobby dylan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:30 am

I saw this last night. Not exactly sure what I expected, but I didn't expect this. I just remember thinking before the climax, because it becomes very obvious, oh no, oh no, he didn't, ew! I don't know how to feel about this film. Initially I felt cheated, although the twist was unexpected for me until near the end, I didn't think the story seemed plausible, maybe the culture in Korea is different on this point, but I couldn't believe in Evergreen punishing Oh Dae su so spectacularly for what he did. I don't think Park quite pulls off the ending, but all that said and the film's violence not withstanding, I'm still thinking about it the morning after, which is more than I can say for most films. Still, I'm tempted to call it Oh' Boy instead of Oldboy, maybe I got what I deserved, looking for mindless entertaining violence from abroad and getting something quite a little bit different instead. Still, despite the appearance of tragedy, I wont call this movie one, the substance is dropped for the shock long enough to expose an intent that I find less than admirably aesthetic. Still, I wonder what Hitchcock would have done with a film like this?

lord_clyde

#28 Post by lord_clyde » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:23 pm

Ebert even says in his review:
Yes, the ending is improbable in its complexity, but it is not impossible, and it is not unmotivated.

Anonymous

#29 Post by Anonymous » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:27 pm

Is there any news about a Region 1 DVD edition of Oldboy being released soon. I just it last night and I can not believe how much I loved that movie. An amazing film! Anyway, if anybody knows anything about the DVD, I'd be one happy guy.

whipsilk

#30 Post by whipsilk » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:55 pm

I own the wonderful R2 Tartan set. I agree with you completely -- Old Boy is an amazing film! To me, it's far superior to Haute Tension, which is generating so much discussion in another thread, although it's a slightly different genre (it's certainly not a slasher film). Yes, it too has a twist of its own, but the clues are planted so cunningly that I had to watch the film a second time just to see them all. I figured it out mere minutes before the reveal, but I really think that's part of Park's game -- he wants you to puzzle it out before he reveals it, so he can pile on all the revenge details that the viewer has doubtless not yet gotten.

Few recent movies have had such wonderful set pieces. From the funny-but-chilling imprisonment to the suitcase/suicide on the roof (and its utterly brilliant throwaway ending) to the magnificent fight scene down the corridor, it's obvious that we're seeing the work of a truly first-rate film director. I sincerely hope no US studio decides to remake this, although I seem to recall a few rumors....

Pinback

#31 Post by Pinback » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:41 am

whipsilk wrote:I sincerely hope no US studio decides to remake this, although I seem to recall a few rumors....
You recall correctly. Taiwanese director Justin Lin has signed on to direct the American remake, due out next year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/

jon abbey

#32 Post by jon abbey » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:32 pm

no one mentioned how awful the music was for the bulk of this, huh? maybe I'm hypersensitive as a music producer, but I don't recall being as irritated by film music since Koyaanisqatsi. just very insensitive to the visuals/plot, generic, ugh.

as for the film, it reminded me a bit of Fight Club. very stylish, great for the first half, both spin off the tracks somewhat in the second half. I do think Park's very talented, though.

Lino

#33 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:23 am

jon abbey wrote:no one mentioned how awful the music was for the bulk of this, huh? maybe I'm hypersensitive as a music producer, but I don't recall being as irritated by film music since Koyaanisqatsi.
Are you sure you got the right job for you?

The Invunche

#34 Post by The Invunche » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:25 am

Good point, Annie.

How can you not love the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack? I think it's absolutely wonderful.

jon abbey

#35 Post by jon abbey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:39 am

yep, I've got the right job, thanks for your concern.

Philip Glass is awful, as anyone who pays serious attention to music will let you know. South Park had him pegged fairly well a while back.

anyway, I didn't expect much agreement, just sharing my own take on this.

The Invunche

#36 Post by The Invunche » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:35 am

:lol: What would the Internet be without guys like you.

Ishmael

#37 Post by Ishmael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:51 pm

jon abbey wrote: Philip Glass is awful, as anyone who pays serious attention to music will let you know.
Yep, you've got the wrong job.

jcelwin

#38 Post by jcelwin » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:38 pm

jon abbey wrote:Philip Glass is awful, as anyone who pays serious attention to music will let you know. South Park had him pegged fairly well a while back.
Just wondering, how was he 'pegged' in South Park?

jorencain

#39 Post by jorencain » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:49 pm

jcelwin wrote:
jon abbey wrote:Philip Glass is awful, as anyone who pays serious attention to music will let you know. South Park had him pegged fairly well a while back.
Just wondering, how was he 'pegged' in South Park?
He must be talking about that first Christmas special when Glass accompanied the school's holiday pageant. It was funny, but I didn't see it as making fun of Philip Glass; just the idea of the pageant being completely NOT being religion-specific, so as not to offend anyone.

jon abbey

#40 Post by jon abbey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:18 pm

The Invunche wrote::lol: What would the Internet be without guys like you.
nice.

I hang out mostly on music sites, so it's interesting to see there are actually supporters of Philip Glass' work out there. I haven't heard anyone defend anything he's done in the last thirty years in quite some time. but I guess that's why you guys hang out here, and not on music boards.

but all of that is a side issue. no one else was irritated by the music in Oldboy?

jon abbey

#41 Post by jon abbey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:30 pm

honestly, it's very superficial music, he's like the Wynton Marsalis of minimalism, the form is there but there's no substance underneath.

have you guys heard composers like Charlemagne Palestine, Phill Niblock, Arnold Dreyblatt, just to name a few? it's not my favorite area of music by a long shot, but just because Glass is one of the best known minimalists doesn't mean he's any good.

The Invunche

#42 Post by The Invunche » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:26 am

jon abbey wrote:nice.
I wasn't being sarcastic, Jon. I honestly think arrogant assholes help give the Internet color.

jon abbey

#43 Post by jon abbey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:52 am

sorry, I didn't realize Philip Glass was on some kind of "do not defame" list here. have you heard much of the other composers I mention, Invunche? or do you just like taking shots at me out of your position of ignorance?

Eliane Radigue is another name to add to the earlier list, she's probably my fave of the lot.
Last edited by jon abbey on Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Invunche

#44 Post by The Invunche » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:59 am

Where am I taking shots at you? I thought I just praised you.

jcelwin

#45 Post by jcelwin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:44 am

Invunche seems to be having fun...

But, jon what was the criticism from southpark?

jorencain

#46 Post by jorencain » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:26 am

Just to throw it out there.....I totally agree that the music in "Oldboy" was pretty bad. Or corny is probably a better word. To me, the soundtrack made it sound like a TV movie or something. I still love the film though.

And while I don't love Philip Glass (sorry to feed into this), I think that his string quartets, particularly his 5th quartet, are fantastic.

jon abbey

#47 Post by jon abbey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:26 pm

jorencain wrote:Just to throw it out there.....I totally agree that the music in "Oldboy" was pretty bad. Or corny is probably a better word. To me, the soundtrack made it sound like a TV movie or something. I still love the film though.
thank you, really my only point here.

The Invunche

#48 Post by The Invunche » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:09 pm

I thought your point was that we didn't know anything about music because we don't hang out at music boards.

denti alligator

#49 Post by denti alligator » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:13 pm

no one else was irritated by the music in Oldboy?
I was irritated by the whole movie, but I see that I'm nearly alone in feeling this way.

jon abbey

#50 Post by jon abbey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:35 pm

The Invunche wrote:I thought your point was that we didn't know anything about music because we don't hang out at music boards.
dunno what you know about music, since you don't seem interested in actually discussing that.