Filipino Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#51 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:43 pm

noelbotevera wrote:Have you seen Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang? Worth ordering too, and it's on the same webpage as Insiang.
I am on a reduced budget -- we need to paint our house this year ($12,000!).

So, that one will have to wait for a few months. ;~}

noelbotevera

#53 Post by noelbotevera » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 pm

Raya Martin in Director's Fortnight; Brillante Mendoza in Cannes' Main Competition

Santiago (Lino Brocka, 1970)

Kakabakaba Ka Ba? (Does Your Heart Beat Faster? Mike de Leon, 1980)

Best of 2007 updated; Filipino films on DVD updated
100 Greatest Filipino Films

CRITIC AFTER DARK: A REVIEW OF PHILIPPINE CINEMA now available at Fully Booked, Powerplant Mall, Makati City; Cultural Center of the Philippines Bookstore; Datelines Bookstore, Cubao; and Booktopia, Libis, Quezon City

malcolm1980

#54 Post by malcolm1980 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:20 am

I just picked up Oro Plata Mata on DVD. It's a pretty solid transfer, as far as I can tell (I haven't seen it all the way through yet). It also has English subtitles so it's highly recommended.

Matango

Re: Filipino Cinema

#57 Post by Matango » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:53 am

Fans of the Filipino actor Vic Diaz can find a short montage tribute to him put together by myself at http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=nIprz4OByag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

benm

#58 Post by benm » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Any new leads of purchasing Lav Diaz DVDs?

Oedipax

#59 Post by Oedipax » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:14 pm

benm wrote:Any new leads of purchasing Lav Diaz DVDs?
Purchasing, no, but the films do seem to be circulating more than they were previously.

Fierias

#60 Post by Fierias » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm

benm wrote:Any new leads of purchasing Lav Diaz DVDs?
Heremias pt.1, Death in the Land of Encantos, and Melancholia autographed DVDs now for sale.

Peacock

#61 Post by Peacock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Great news!!!
Anyone emailed about pricing, subtitles, whether it's dvd-r etc?
I'll send one now anyway!

PimpPanda

#62 Post by PimpPanda » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Anyone heard anything back?

Wonder when Batang West Side will finally reveal itself!

Peacock

#63 Post by Peacock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Yes.
JP Carpio wrote:Dear Alexander:

Good day.
I hope this message finds you well.
Thank you for your interest in Lav’s work.
I am replying on his behalf to explain the international set up to purchase Lav’s DVDs.

I believe Lav plans to release Ebolusyon someday once certain professional issues are resolved.

As for the chosen short film for Heremias. That's up to Lav, but most likely it will be the short film, Nang Matapos Ang Ulan (After the Rain Stopped)"), 2006 (Is that correct Lav?)

If you plan to purchase all three films, perhaps a discount/package deal can be worked out, but that's also up to Lav.

Other details regarding the films can be found below in the form reply:

Don’t expect Criterion packaged DVDs but what will you get is “honest, fearless, pushing the boundaries of cinematic art in”,

- Heremias (Unang Aklat: Ang Alamat ng Prinsesang Bayawak (Heremias Book 1: The Legend of the Lizard Princess), (5 dvds)

- Kagadanan sa banwaan ning mga engkanto (Death in the Land of the Encantos), (5 dvds)

- Melancholia (4 dvds)

at US$90 each (this includes mailing costs, burning costs, money transfer fees)

With bonuses

- Each film autographed by Lav Diaz

- A chosen short film to go with each, most likely the companion pieces “Waiting for the Storm” for Encantos and “Purgatorio” for Melancholia … (short film for Heremias is yet to be chosen)

- The full length docu/interview film on Lav Diaz shot by Emman Pascual and edited by JP Carpio of Linao Films for theauteurs.com Cinema 21 project

If you’re interested in experiencing the great one-of-a-kind art of Lav Diaz, for DVD orders, please contact the man himself at

lavrente@yahoo.com

Note on Mailing: Due to the high cost of FedEX and DHL et al, the film/s will be sent through registered snail mail which would take two to several weeks to arrive.

During a trial sale with a customer from Germany, the cost of FedEx or DHL made it economically and effort wise unfeasible for Lav to send the DVDs that way.

Note on Payment: Payment can be made through a bank transfer

But some kind of remittance system like Western Union would be more preferable since this would cost a little less than the bank transfer fees.

If you use Western Union, you can subtract the Western Union fee from the DVD US$90 price.

For example: I checked with the Western Union website, sending US$90 from New York or Austin, Texas costs the same, US$12.

Note on DVD Production Set up: There are basically less than five people involved here, including Lav himself. Very informal, not out to make a profit but any DVD sales will go a long way to help Lav out with his daily expenses (food, bills, etc.).

DVDs are on an order-to-burn basis. There is no existing stock of DVDs.

The DVDs have no region code.

They have embedded English subtitles.

They are burned DVD-R. They play back fine on computers and on players. There is currently no budget for pressed DVDs.

Thank you very much for your understanding and caring about his work.

If you have any other clarifications, please feel free to e-mail me.

respectfully yours,

JP V. Carpio Director
Linao Films

P.S. I have copies of Lav’s work. The packaging is perfect for his work: simple, minimal, austere, beautiful. All white with small fonts for the titles like the printing for an old book. The same goes for the stickers on the discs.
I replied asking whether Paypal could be used instead for payment, and to let me know what the bundle price would be when decided, mentioning the individual film price was steeper than I expected.
They said they hadn't used Paypal before but were now looking into it. A couple of guys I know who also emailed, mentioned Paypal to Carpio/Diaz as well, so I'm guessing that's what they are setting up now.
Last email I got from them (regarding them looking into Paypal) was a week ago, but it takes some time to set up an account and verify it etc, so I'm guessing that's what's happening.

I'll let you know when I hear anything more regarding price, payment etc.

perkizitore

#64 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:17 pm

90$ for non-pressed DVDs is a very steep price :roll:

Peacock

#65 Post by Peacock » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:03 pm

True, although bear in mind that these are plus 8 hour films...

But what it comes down to in the end, is that Diaz, and others such as Jia, are working entirely independently. Trying to make serious feature length films dealing with subjects they feel are important to explore. I feel strongly that those of us who believe in this type of modern cinema, should do what we can to support it. If 100 people buy these Diaz disks and he makes lot's of money from them. I'm sure it'll go towards future films and just making a basic living, in an industry which is just that; you use a big crew, do big marketing, use union members, edit it to a suitable length for distribution - what about people who don't want to work with this system? What about Costa filming In Vanda's Room by himself with no assistance during the long filming? If no one picked up Vanda for distribution or dvd, and Costa himself decided to burn dvd-r's from the original DV footage for $90 a time, I wouldn't roll my eyes at him, these people have chosen a life where they won't make much money, especially someone making films like Diaz is. So yeah, buy - or do not, perhaps they will lower the price a bit if people don't bite. But don't treat them like they're greedy businessmen.

perkizitore

#66 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 am

I agree with you Peacock, is just i can't afford buying everything! I prefer buying the 3 Ozu blu-rays than buying Melancholia, an 8-hour film i've never seen!
My main worry is that DVD-R won't last, that's why i never buy any no matter the price. 90$ is not an extravagant price compared to Japanese discs and i am sure independent filmmakers are worth it.

Peacock

#67 Post by Peacock » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:38 am

I totally understand, it's a really tricky month with the upcoming Criterion sale, the Ozu Blus and I'm trying to buy a new camera asap...

As for the dvd-r thing, I've read online that if kept in cool conditions they will last +10 years, although I guess it's just speculation.
It's not ideal, but if you're worried about disk degradation you could always transfer the dvd-rs onto an external harddrive.
For me personally, maybe they will only last 5 years, but hopefully by that time there will be some sort of pressed disk of the films.

foggy eyes

#68 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:25 am

Peacock wrote:But don't treat them like they're greedy businessmen.
Fair enough, but I can't help thinking that charging the equivalent of £180 for three movies on single-layer DVD-R treats Mr. Diaz's (potential) audience like cash cows. They should know better.

perkizitore

#69 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:29 am

This could work if they were offering lifetime guarantee on these discs!

foggy eyes

Re:

#70 Post by foggy eyes » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:30 am

Oedipax, in 2007, wrote:Couldn't he just put them out on DVD-Rs or something? Then sell them at a premium for those nuts enough to pay for it :)
Oedipax, this is all your fault! :wink:

Oedipax

Re: Re:

#71 Post by Oedipax » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:45 pm

foggy eyes wrote:
Oedipax, in 2007, wrote:Couldn't he just put them out on DVD-Rs or something? Then sell them at a premium for those nuts enough to pay for it :)
Oedipax, this is all your fault! :wink:
Haha. Be careful what you wish for!

hangman

#72 Post by hangman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 am

foggy eyes wrote:
Peacock wrote:But don't treat them like they're greedy businessmen.
Fair enough, but I can't help thinking that charging the equivalent of £180 for three movies on single-layer DVD-R treats Mr. Diaz's (potential) audience like cash cows. They should know better.
Well part of the cost would also be just how expensive it is to transfer mini-dv tapes onto digital format here, the prices are relatively high and would easily go over $100 for transferring the amount of tapes that these films take up. Though as for the burned in subs its unfortunately with the source materials the director has himself. I'd love to see Batang West Side but alas he doesn't have the tapes himself. Though if I may suggest those interested into venturing into his works I would recommend your first purchase be Heremias, as I find it a great starting point.

foggy eyes

#73 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:34 am

hangman wrote:Well part of the cost would also be just how expensive it is to transfer mini-dv tapes onto digital format here, the prices are relatively high and would easily go over $100 for transferring the amount of tapes that these films take up.
It's not like Diaz has never allowed his films to be projected from DVD before - these transfers have been around as long as the films. In many cases, it's the easiest way to screen them.

yoshimori

#74 Post by yoshimori » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Two Mendoza discs from France: Kinatay and Lola.

No indication of subtitles, other than French.

AlexHansen

#75 Post by AlexHansen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Raya Martin's Buenas Noches España is available to watch until the end of the month.