Untitled Star Trek Project (Quentin Tarantino, 202?)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Big Ben

Untitled Star Trek Project (Quentin Tarantino, 202?)

#1 Post by Big Ben » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

bearcuborg

Re: Quentin Tarantino

#2 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 am

Klingon motherfucker, do you speak it?!

I can’t say I have more than superficial knowledge of Star Trek-but for him to work on such a large scale production would be fascinating-for the result and the behind scenes extras.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

calculus entrophy

#3 Post by calculus entrophy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am

Splunge?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Making this his final bid as a director?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Doubt it'll count toward the 10 or he'd write it himself. Also doubt he ever limits himself to 10 films, just like he never did a thousand other things he said he would like to do.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Untitled Star Trek Project (Quentin Tarantino, 2020?)

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Not a topic title I ever expected to see here.

aox

#8 Post by aox » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:29 pm

swo17 wrote:Making this his final bid as a director?
This is the most baffling part.

bearcuborg

#9 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Him writing this movie is half the intrigue...there’s no way he doesn’t write the bulk of this movie.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 pm

bearcuborg wrote:Him writing this movie is half the intrigue...there’s no way he doesn’t write the bulk of this movie.
It's his concept but someone else is writing it. I'm sure he'll take a pass on it, but I don't think there's any indication that he'll be writing it at all.

Big Ben

#11 Post by Big Ben » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 pm

I'll imagine we'll be seeing a ton of "QAPLA MOTHERFUCKER!" memes all over the place real soon. Had I not seen this news the other day I would never have believed it.

The rumor is that it's based on a famous episode called The City on the Edge of Forever as Tarantino apparently in an interview has expressed interest in this story specifically. I cannot attest to the veracity of that claim but there is apparently an interview where he talks about something like this.

EDIT: Or this. My mistake.

miless

#12 Post by miless » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:30 am

I know it's unrelated to this film, but I had always hoped that Apichatpong Weerasethakul would make his Star Trek movie. An even further long-shot than QT, for sure.

StevenJ0001

#13 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:18 pm

miless wrote:I know it's unrelated to this film, but I had always hoped that Apichatpong Weerasethakul would make his Star Trek movie. An even further long-shot than QT, for sure.
Wow, that would be something! Do you know of a source for Weerasethakul talking about this? I tried searching but to no avail.

PfR73

#14 Post by PfR73 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:
miless wrote:I know it's unrelated to this film, but I had always hoped that Apichatpong Weerasethakul would make his Star Trek movie. An even further long-shot than QT, for sure.
Wow, that would be something! Do you know of a source for Weerasethakul talking about this? I tried searching but to no avail.
From what I can find, looks like it wouldn't be an actual Star Trek film, but inspired by/utilizing Star Trek.

From a 2011 AVClub Interview
AVC: You have a science-fiction project called Utopia that you’ve been talking about making for years. What can you say about that?

AW: It’s a utopian project because it is so expensive. I don’t know if I can manage, or if my producer can. It was something I dreamed up after Tropical Malady and other films that have this green jungle world. I want to talk about the transformation of civilization. I set up the film in this snow landscape, with the idea of the future being played by the old, aging actress from the old science-fiction movies that we grew up watching. It’s like Uncle Boonmee, but about the dying of science fiction that we know of. The main setpiece of the film is the Starship Enterprise, dying in the middle of this snow landscape. And all these actresses, like Jane Fonda from Barbarella and other actresses, and from other science fiction, trying to trace back their own memory. Science fiction is the past, and things just keep changing. In the film, there is a storm that just keeps changing the landscape. There is a huge storm that just wipes out a mountain. It is a super special-effects film. [Laughs.]

AVC: Say someone gave you all the money you needed to make Utopia. Do you mean really Jane Fonda, or an actress playing her?

AW: No, I need her and the other actresses. [Laughs.] I actually went to L.A. and talked to an actress who played a doctor in Star Trek. What’s her name? I’m very sorry I forgot her name.

AVC: Gates McFadden?

AW: Oh yes, I think that was the girl. She was very interested in the project. And then I went to talk to my hero, Ray Bradbury. I really wanted to just talk with him to get inspiration, but the dream scenario is to work with him. We were serious in the beginning, but then we were like, “Oh, this is getting very out of hand.” It is a very personal film, but it needs a lot of Hollywood references.

McCrutchy

#16 Post by McCrutchy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Honestly, I would go for Picard and the TNG crew in this, because they really got screwed out of a proper send-off film anyway, and I always loathed the Abrams Trek cast, to a person. Also, if Tarantino could get Shatner (not necessarily Kirk) to cameo in some way, too, that would be amazing.

phantomforce

#17 Post by phantomforce » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 pm

something tells me Tarantino was a bit occupied and didn't pay much attention to the next generation.

I also read that he has a specific episode from the first season in mind.

PfR73

#18 Post by PfR73 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 pm

phantomforce wrote:something tells me Tarantino was a bit occupied and didn't pay much attention to the next generation.

I also read that he has a specific episode from the first season in mind.
In a previous interview Tarantino talks both about that Original Series episode, and also talks about being a big fan of the Next Generation episode "Yesterday's Enterprise," so he clearly did pay at least some attention.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Untitled Star Trek Project (Quentin Tarantino, 202?)

#20 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Probably not happening, according to Tarantino's interview with CoS:
So, what’s next? Are you really going to stick to the 10 films?

Yeah, that’s the idea.

Is Star Trek going to be part of that?

I think I’m steering away from Star Trek, but I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet. In a strange way, it seems like this movie, Hollywood, would be my last. So, I’ve kind of taken the pressure off myself to make that last big voilà kind of statement. I mean to such a degree there was a moment when I was writing and went, “Should I do this now? Should I do something else? Is this the 10th one?” No, no don’t stop the planets from aligning, what are you, Galactus? If the Earth is saying do it, do it. Not that it was an argument, but a little thought, like, “Well, if I’m gonna go out like Max Ophüls style, Lola Montez, this is it, and if It’s not good, then all my other work is trash, alright.” This would have been the one. But in a weird way, it actually kind of freed me up. I mean, I have no idea what the story of the next one’s going to be. I don’t even have a clue.

Nasir007

#21 Post by Nasir007 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Did anybody seriously think this film would ever happen?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#22 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 pm

...Quentin Tarantino?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:05 pm

I mean, after he directed a two hour CSI episode that was basically a self-contained movie, nothing would surprise me

Noiradelic

#24 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:07 am

He was a script doctor on Crimson Tide and wrote the Star Trek riff that falls at a pivotal moment in the movie, so I believed it could happen before Tarantino threw cold water on the prospect.

aox

#25 Post by aox » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:06 am

I'm so happy this can now be put to bed.