Masterminds (Jared Hess, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
John Shade

Masterminds (Jared Hess, 2016)

#1 Post by John Shade » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Well, I'm going to put myself potentially up to the fire, yet I have seen no mention of this film on this board and I had a great time when I saw it at the theater--twice (before and after a severe hurricane threat/storm, maybe that had something to do with it?), and maybe some others will out themselves in offering some slight praise for Jared Hess' Masterminds. I should just go ahead and admit that I like his other movies and don't think he's some kind of "twee-indie" type; he's just a genuine oddball. This most recent one was probably the most humane gross-out stupidfest yet. Definitely not for everyone. Some of the old people in the crowd laughed at a few of the really dumb gags with me though.

I know Richard Brody is also a fan and defender, but that still might just make things worse for some of you...Anyway, go in with low expectations and enjoy the shenanigans. If I have to offer a more serious defense, then I guess I'll start by saying that I think most other comedies today would use these types of characters merely for ridicule, but Hess sees something else in them, even while making them do very gross things.
Last edited by John Shade on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Films of 2016

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:09 pm

I remember really enjoying Nacho Libre but if you had me at gunpoint right now I couldn't recall almost anything that happened in it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:19 pm

domino did love his last movie.

John Shade

#4 Post by John Shade » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Don Verdean, which wasn't that bad, though I think like his other recent works received a critical beating. Sam Rockwell gives these movies so much effort, especially the incredibly bizarre and total barf-out Gentlemen Broncos. Glad to see I haven't been roasted yet. Nacho still holds up for me--even if I remember when first seeing it how my friends hated it so, so much. Masterminds might hold up too, well, hold up might not be the right word and only for certain people.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:12 am

JohnShade wrote:Well, I'm going to put myself potentially up to the fire, yet I have seen no mention of this film on this board and I had a great time when I saw it at the theater--twice (before and after a severe hurricane threat/storm, maybe that had something to do with it?), and maybe some others will out themselves in offering some slight praise for Jared Hess' Masterminds. I should just go ahead and admit that I like his other movies and don't think he's some kind of "twee-indie" type; he's just a genuine oddball. This most recent one was probably the most humane gross-out stupidfest yet. Definitely not for everyone. Some of the old people in the crowd laughed at a few of the really dumb gags with me though.

I know Richard Brody is also a fan and defender, but that still might just make things worse for some of you...Anyway, go in with low expectations and enjoy the shenanigans. If I have to offer a more serious defense, then I guess I'll start by saying that I think most other comedies today would use these types of characters merely for ridicule, but Hess sees something else in them, even while making them do very gross things.
Um, this was hilarious. There were maybe ten gross-out gags, which as far as I'm concerned is ten too many, but aside from that I found the oddball sense of humor plenty endearing. I think the key ingredient here is the cast, carefully selected all the way from the heavyweights in the leads down to the henchman played by Buzz from Home Alone (and also a recent episode of Louie). Only it's probably best to go in with low expectations, so add it to your queue and then forget we had this conversation.

captveg

#6 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I remember really enjoying Nacho Libre but if you had me at gunpoint right now I couldn't recall almost anything that happened in it.
"Get that corn outta my face!" still makes me laugh just thinking about it.