Awards Season 2016

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Awards Season 2016

#451 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:14 am

Wondering if I should even watch this year. I skipped it last year and except for Louis CK's hilarious presentation (which went viral the next day), I'm not sure I missed anything that would've been particularly memorable. Was there?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#452 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 am

Only highlight was Ali G calling out the Academy for the stream of "token minority presenters"

knives

#453 Post by knives » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:57 am

I was thinking that as well. At the very least it is the only moment I remember from last year. Elbow.

Werewolf by Night

#454 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:Will the Oscars ceremony be available to stream live?
Maybe, if you live in one of these areas:
ABC wrote:The ABC live stream (http://abc.go.com/watch-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is currently available in the following markets: Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham and San Francisco with a participating TV provider. Customers with a DirecTV subscription in the following markets will also be able to watch the ABC live stream: Albuquerque, Boston, Ft. Smith/Fayetteville, Jackson (Mississippi), Kansas City, Milwaukee, Monterey-Salinas, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Pittsburgh, Portland-Auburn (Maine), Savannah and West Palm Beach. You must be located within each available station's local viewing area and must verify your participating TV provider account for access to the ABC live stream in your area. It's included with your TV subscription services. Program substitutions may apply

The ABC live stream for your local station is determined by your physical location. You must access the ABC live stream within each available station's local viewing area. Although it's currently available in select U.S. cities, we are working to make it available to all of our viewers.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#455 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:43 am

Hidden Figures beat Moonlight at the NAACP Image Awards

Dead or Deader

#456 Post by Dead or Deader » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:06 am

Another bite to the dust. Moonlight chances of pulling off an upset is getting slimmer by each following award ceremony. Not that anything can beat the Hollywood juggernaut LLL, though Hidden Figures could seem like the safe middlebrow pick to rally for the old-timers, with also accompanying the diversity banner.

dda1996a

#457 Post by dda1996a » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:13 pm

That will be the most shocking upset if Hidden Figures win. I can see why Moonlight isn't sweeping awards, and why Figures might be more accessible

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#458 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I still think Moonlight's best hope is to get a Best Picture/Best Director split with La La Land taking Picture and Jenkins getting a much-deserved director win.

knives

#459 Post by knives » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Ugh, no. Jenkins' direction is the second worst part of the film with some really overdone camerawork and awkward blocking.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#460 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:38 pm

BAFTA Awards are insane right now, and well on their way to a full La La Land snub. Dev Patel won out over Ali, which is now two huge supporting losses for Ali-- even this category is no longer a locked win for Moonlight

EDIT La La Land started rallying at the end

DarkImbecile

#461 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:26 pm

knives wrote:Ugh, no. Jenkins' direction is the second worst part of the film with some really overdone camerawork and awkward blocking.
I totally disagree (and am curious what you think the worst part of the film is), but even if that were the case, he'd still deserve recognition for the fact that none of the three actors portraying Chiron ever met each other during or prior to filming or watched each other's work on the film, yet their shared portrayal of that character feels seamless. Directing the three actors (to say nothing of the supporting cast) to performances like those on such a tight schedule and weaving their work together into a character portrait that humane and compelling was masterful.

knives

#462 Post by knives » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Maybe if the casting director was up for an oscar. Harris is the least successful element to my mind.

flyonthewall2983

#463 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:48 am

Sounds like the Grammys were a mess tonight

cdnchris
Site Admin

#464 Post by cdnchris » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:57 am

My wife's watching a recording of it right now and there are a lot of technical glitches and general oddities from what I have seen from looking in every once in a while. The biggest that I noticed so far is that, during Metallica's and Lady Gaga's performance, James Hetfield's microphone did not work throughout most of it. But I've been only looking in every so often and each time there's some mess going on.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#465 Post by Brian C » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:34 am

Haha yeah, Hetfield was pissed, too.

All the tech glitches were amusing in a way, though, because James Corden's opening was based around feigning technical difficulties. Turned out to be foreshadowing.

Otherwise, the show was even more of a bore than usual.

Dr Amicus

#466 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 am

domino harvey wrote:BAFTA Awards are insane right now, and well on their way to a full La La Land snub. Dev Patel won out over Ali, which is now two huge supporting losses for Ali-- even this category is no longer a locked win for Moonlight

EDIT La La Land started rallying at the end
If you want to see some genuinely insane BAFTA nominations / winners, look back at the 80s (e.g. Connery winning best actor for The Name of the Rose) and 90s - very pro-British but ostensibly open to all (and, in the 80s, very pro-Woody Allen - Purple Rose of Cairo won Best Film). At the time, the BAFTAs were usually after the Oscars and struggled to get US celebrities. This century however, there has been much more of a move to make them a full part of the awards season - taking place before the Oscars and mirroring much more closely US award talk.

However, there is still usually at least one British actor who pulls off a win against the likely Oscar Winner - indeed, watching it last night, it came as no surprise to us that Dev Patel won. Indeed, I wouldn't have been hugely surprised if I, Daniel Blake had claimed another big prize.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#467 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:04 am

DarkImbecile wrote:I still think Moonlight's best hope is to get a Best Picture/Best Director split with La La Land taking Picture and Jenkins getting a much-deserved director win.
It's sweet that people are still speculating about this - La La Land is going to make a near-full sweep of the categories it's nominated in, and it's going to be so boring

colinr0380

#468 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:However, there is still usually at least one British actor who pulls off a win against the likely Oscar Winner - indeed, watching it last night, it came as no surprise to us that Dev Patel won. Indeed, I wouldn't have been hugely surprised if I, Daniel Blake had claimed another big prize.
Lion also won Best Adapted Screenplay too (against Arrival, Nocturnal Animals, Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures), which seems fine for a film that I doubt is going to get much of a look-in at the Academy Awards otherwise.

On the "Best Film not in the English Language" award, Son of Saul continued its winning streak when up against Cannes winner Dheepan, Pedro Almodovar's Julieta, Turkish film Mustang and Toni Erdmann.
mfunk9786 wrote:It's sweet that people are still speculating about this - La La Land is going to make a near-full sweep of the categories it's nominated in, and it's going to be so boring
I get the impression that a lot of people are responding to La La Land as Hollywood having finally successfully produced a contemporary set musical relationship drama after the ambitious failures of New York, New York and One From The Heart in the 70s and 80s. (Which itself is playing into 'the next/new generation of Hollywood filmmakers' narrative that seems to be going on in the media at the moment)

(Though I'm sure that we can all agree that none of the above films reaches the heights of Xanadu!)

DarkImbecile

#469 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:53 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
DarkImbecile wrote:I still think Moonlight's best hope is to get a Best Picture/Best Director split with La La Land taking Picture and Jenkins getting a much-deserved director win.
It's sweet that people are still speculating about this - La La Land is going to make a near-full sweep of the categories it's nominated in, and it's going to be so boring
La La Land gave me the hope and courage to take a risk and chase my dream that the major categories won't be completely swept by La La Land.

The Narrator Returns

#470 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:09 am

Moonlight won Best Original Screenplay and Arrival won Best Adapted Screenplay at the WGAs tonight. They'll both be competing for Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#471 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 am

It took forever for one to show up this year: Brutally honest Oscar ballot

Apperson

#472 Post by Apperson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:34 am

domino harvey wrote:It took forever for one to show up this year: Brutally honest Oscar ballot
They wait until the end of voting to post the ballots and have done for as long as I've been following.

TMDaines

#473 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 am

Dear God.

captveg

#474 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 am

Yikes.

Every year I shake my head at people eliminating a film for a technical award like cinematography because they can't stomach the story of the movie.

FrauBlucher

#475 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:01 am

domino harvey wrote:It took forever for one to show up this year: Brutally honest Oscar ballot
Unfortunately, I think he is not alone in this reasoning by a long shot....
Silence had beautiful photography, but I hated that movie so much, with all the Christian stuff beating me over the head — I mean, c’mon, Marty [Scorsese, its director]!