Carol (Todd Haynes, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Carol (Todd Haynes, 2015)

#101 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Blu-ray.com is reporting the Feb 2 release date now as well

Professor Wagstaff

#102 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:16 pm

The February 2nd release date is gone from Amazon. Damn!

Luke M

#103 Post by Luke M » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:14 pm

This would've been an instant purchase if it came out in a week.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:20 pm

...and Amazon just emailed me again to tell me it won't be coming out next week. Drat!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#105 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:05 pm

I really have very little idea why, once you buy a ticket for a film in the theater, you can't endlessly stream said film until the date of its disc release if you want to. The disconnect between theatrical windows and disc windows is feeling more and more unwelcome the longer we go on with convenience-based stuff like streaming being in the picture.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#106 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm

You can replay the film all you want -- but only in your own head.

Trees

#107 Post by Trees » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:03 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I really have very little idea why, once you buy a ticket for a film in the theater, you can't endlessly stream said film until the date of its disc release if you want to. The disconnect between theatrical windows and disc windows is feeling more and more unwelcome the longer we go on with convenience-based stuff like streaming being in the picture.
Same could be said for books. When I buy a hardback or paperback from Amazon, I feel like I should not have to buy an additional digital copy for my Kindle, it should just be included.

Ribs

#108 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:12 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I really have very little idea why, once you buy a ticket for a film in the theater, you can't endlessly stream said film until the date of its disc release if you want to. The disconnect between theatrical windows and disc windows is feeling more and more unwelcome the longer we go on with convenience-based stuff like streaming being in the picture.
As if listening to our very discussions, Fandango just today has bought a VOD company called M-GO with the intent of offering "super tickets" that include streaming down the line.

flyonthewall2983

#109 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:49 am

Trees wrote:
Same could be said for books. When I buy a hardback or paperback from Amazon, I feel like I should not have to buy an additional digital copy for my Kindle, it should just be included.
Amazon does exactly that for their music, if you buy it on CD you can get an immediate digital copy of it. Most of their music I should say, that hasn't been the case with every release I've bought but most of them lately have done that.

This bullshit with ABC wanting to censor a TV ad is so typical.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#110 Post by lacritfan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:22 pm

Zot!

#111 Post by Zot! » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:24 am

If you're going to do a paint by numbers lesbian melodrama, there better be some passion in it. Perhaps a gay man is the worst positioned to speak on this topic, as Haynes apparently has no interest in what brings these women together, and makes them risk everything for a chance at love. Honestly, by the time they run away together, and proceeded to feed each other sandwiches, I was ready for Gaspar Noe to take over.

Trees

#112 Post by Trees » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 am

It's amazing to me that this film won the forum consensus #1. It seemed very average to me.

Werewolf by Night

#113 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 am

Oh my god, you're right! I have totally changed my opinion based on your impassioned post. Thank you, kind sir and/or madam! Do you have other such opinions on motion pictures you could possibly share with me?

Trees

#114 Post by Trees » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 am

James Bond needs more humor!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#115 Post by Drucker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Zot! wrote:If you're going to do a paint by numbers lesbian melodrama, there better be some passion in it. Perhaps a gay man is the worst positioned to speak on this topic, as Haynes apparently has no interest in what brings these women together, and makes them risk everything for a chance at love. Honestly, by the time they run away together, and proceeded to feed each other sandwiches, I was ready for Gaspar Noe to take over.
I really don't understand your critique here. The younger woman has an interest in pursuing a lesbian relationship, but her introverted-ness and the social atmosphere she's a part of have made it hard for her to pursue any such relationship. Carol is immediately drawn to her and goes about trying to make the relationship happen. They were attracted to one another, and after spending time together, begin to fall in something like love.

Also, I don't see what they are really "risking."
SpoilerShow
Carol has sort of already lost everything. Her husband already mostly has control of her daughter, and her last relationship didn't work out. She wants to be able to be open about her identity without being forced to disavow it. Therese also has nothing to lose, as her heterosexual relationships are emotionally painful, trying, and clearly not working out.
Two women fall in love at a time it is scandalous to do so, one of these women is well-to-do and already has an ex-husband and child. The film's framing does a superb job of reinforcing their personalities, and the sublime acting has you emotionally invested in their outcome.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#116 Post by tenia » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Though I found the 2nd half better, Carol also seemed to be lacking passion, thus making the movie pretty cold and distant.

Trees

#117 Post by Trees » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:20 pm

The movie suffered mainly because the lead roles were written oddly. The two protagonists seem more like characters written for a movie than real human beings. Both actresses are extremely talented, but they were working with flawed roles in a film that was adrift due to these fundamental character issues, along with some exceedingly contrived sub-plots, like the private detective.

Luke M

#118 Post by Luke M » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Trees wrote:It's amazing to me that this film won the forum consensus #1. It seemed very average to me.
It didn't? The consensus seemed to be that it was good not great. I thought it was great and my favorite film last year not named Mad Max - but I was in the minority.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#119 Post by Drucker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:33 pm

I am still no closer to understanding exactly what the recent posters didn't like about this movie. We know the backstories of the ladies. We know about other people in their life and how they've reacted to them in the past. We know about other relationships and their failures. We know what they are both trying to get out of life and how the other one could possibly fit in. And we know what could be holding them both back from fully embracing the potential relationship.

The private detective sub-plot was essential to the film.
SpoilerShow
It's clearly the last straw in Carol and her husband's post-marriage relationship. Before the road trip, she is still trying to cover her tracks and hide her outside affairs. But after her ex-husband betrays her trust with a private detective, she no longer feels any need or pressure to hide her true identity, and refuses at a custody-related hearing to continue to hide her identity to assuage her husband and gain some custody of her child.

What her husband does by hiring a private detective to spy on her is pure slime, and finally makes Carol decide enough is enough.

Trees

#120 Post by Trees » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:35 pm

In terms of that private-eye subplot, I felt it's execution was phony and unbelievable, in terms of the way the events unfolded, and the characters' reactions, particularly Blanchett's reaction, which seemed fake and unreal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#121 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:45 pm

This thread's recent turn is not helping whoever is lurking this forum for material for the next "Criterion Forum is anti-women" thinkpiece

Newsnayr

#122 Post by Newsnayr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Really don't know how to respond except to say that it instantly became one of my all-time favorite films upon my first viewing, and it only grows more and more achingly and powerfully beautiful every time I see it.

Satori

#123 Post by Satori » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:50 am

Trees wrote:In terms of that private-eye subplot, I felt it's execution was phony and unbelievable, in terms of the way the events unfolded, and the characters' reactions, particularly Blanchett's reaction, which seemed fake and unreal.
I agree with Drucker's explanation that it makes perfect sense as far as character motivations and the narrative goes. Even more importantly, though, it also works tonally: the P.I. scene comes right after
SpoilerShow
the first time they have sex and can truly be together.
It is a violation of the safe space they have found on the road, away from Harge and Therese's ex. If I'm remembering this right, there is a fast and jagged tracking shot following Therese, who is hurriedly following Carol as she goes toward the P.I.'s room
SpoilerShow
with the gun
. This is an abrupt aesthetic shift from the slow, tender scene right before; this shift perfectly captures the emotional violation of the P.I. (and in turn Harge), who have intruded on Carol and Therese's happiness.
Zot! wrote:Honestly, by the time they run away together, and proceeded to feed each other sandwiches, I was ready for Gaspar Noe to take over.
I couldn't disagree more. I thought all the car scenes were incredibly erotic: the lingering closeups on hands and eyes, the way the sunlight reflects on the windows. Eating sandwiches alone together in the car is such an intimate moment, especially compared to the sequences in restaurants where they have to maintain a certain public decorum.

Matt

#124 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Satori wrote:Eating sandwiches alone together in the car is such an intimate moment, especially compared to the sequences in restaurants where they have to maintain a certain public decorum.
Yes, I think this is something that some viewers fail to appreciate: the fact that someone in the closet (or basically anyone gay in 1952) was always in danger of exposure (or worse) in public. In the car, on the road, in their hotel room, Carol and Therese are more able to be free with one another. That they were still under surveillance and under judgement in their most unguarded and intimate moments together is a terrible betrayal and their worst nightmare come true.

Lost Highway

#125 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Though I liked it, I wasn't as huge a fan of Carol as some people here, but the private eye subplot was far from phoney and most believeable within the context of its times.

I suppose I had the same problem as some others, in that despite great performances, I felt at a distance from the characters and the film ultimately didn't move me as much as I felt it should. I loved Haynes' short films when they came out but I'm only an unreserved fan of two of his longer works, Safe and Mildred Pierce.

I will watch Carol again soon and I think it could be a film on which my opinion changes in much the same way it changed on Safe, which I enjoyed far more on a second viewing and which may just be my favourite film of the 90s.