The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
warren oates

The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2013)

#1 Post by warren oates » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 am

Anybody who lives in NYC, L.A. or Washington D.C. and hasn't yet seen The Act of Killing is missing out on not just one of the year's best films, but one of the most innovative and important documentaries ever made. I'll probably have to see it again before I can post much more in depth, but suffice it to say that this film lives up to its considerable hype. And I can see why both Werner Herzog and Errol Morris signed on as exec producers to help promote it. The way it fuses the madness and black humor of Herzog's fever-dream travelogues with Errol Morris' political seriousness, obsessive interrogations and aestheticized re-enactments, this film could have been made by their lovechild. And director Joshua Oppenheimer seems to possess enough courage for both of them.

One of the many fascinating things about the film to me is the story of its making.
SpoilerShow
How the director started out doing activist human rights work with laborers in Indonesia (making at least two other films there in the interim, The Globalisation Tapes and one more forthcoming) and became interested in why they were afraid to form unions. He continued talking to workers about their fears and they urged him to interview the establishment "gangsters" and politicos who'd murdered so many of their friends and family decades ago and were living openly, still bragging about it. How he started talking to those guys, gaining their trust, letting them brag on camera and then begin to show him exactly what they did and where they did it. This would have been enough for most filmmakers. Instead, the director played back the footage of those initial encounters to see if they would react in any way and then took their unexpected reactions -- that they look too old, that they have the wrong clothes, that they weren't acting mean/aggresive enough, that they should reshoot -- seriously. That's the single most important choice Oppenheimer made, to fully embrace the genociders' idea that what was "wrong" with his movie thus far was that it wasn't movie enough -- that his subjects ought to be in charge of representing/recreating their own war crimes as lurid genre scenes they themselves star in and direct.
There are any number of points in the process where a weaker (or less imaginative) person would have stopped short or given up entirely. Anyone who's ever tried to make a feature length film knows how hard it is to just keep going, to follow through, even when the story is clear from the beginning. Not only was this film logistically difficult and potentially perilous (at least for the director's many "anonymous" colleagues), but the story itself kept evolving and becoming richer and more challenging to tell at each turn. And Oppenheimer doesn't just pull it off -- he's made something of a masterpiece.

A few links:

To Errol Morris' Slate essay about the film.

To a Washington Post interview with the director.

To a Walker Art Center screening of the 159 minute director's cut. Apparently this cut will be available on the DVD/Blu-ray. Has anyone seen both cuts?

So I'm hoping more of you will see this soon and that those who've seen the film already at festivals last year and have been discussing it a little here and there in other threads will speak up.

Matt

Re: The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2013)

#2 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:00 pm

I really want to see the director's cut, but I don't know if I will be able to drag my exhausted carcass up to the Walker tonight. I've asked Drafthouse for confirmation that it will be on the eventual DVD/BD release.

warren oates

#3 Post by warren oates » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 pm

The film's official Twitter feed said that the DVD/Blu-ray will feature the longer cut, along with a commentary by Oppenheimer and Herzog.

FerdinandGriffon

#4 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 pm

warren oates wrote:To a Walker Art Center screening of the 159 minute director's cut. Apparently this cut will be available on the DVD/Blu-ray. Has anyone seen both cuts?
I'm very curious about this, as, though the film is everything you say it is and more, the decadent aesthete in me couldn't help but nitpick about the film's pacing and organization, which often felt sort of haphazard and aimless. I think some of these problems would be solved by a longer cut, with more connective tissue and immersion rather than the greatest hits (but what hits!) approach I felt was at work in the theatrical cut.

warren oates

#5 Post by warren oates » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

You may be right about that longer cut, FG. But I wouldn't want to put anybody off seeing it in theaters for that reason. It's definitely a film worth seeing more than once, worth seeing with an audience and worth seeing now just to get in on the conversation. I have a half dozen friends who've seen it and I'll continue harassing the rest until they do too. This is one of those must-sees that has me feeling evangelical.

conspirator12

#6 Post by conspirator12 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Great interview with Oppenheimer: http://www.democracynow.org/2013/7/19/t ... g_new_film" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 pm

FerdinandGriffon wrote:
warren oates wrote:To a Walker Art Center screening of the 159 minute director's cut. Apparently this cut will be available on the DVD/Blu-ray. Has anyone seen both cuts?
I'm very curious about this, as, though the film is everything you say it is and more, the decadent aesthete in me couldn't help but nitpick about the film's pacing and organization, which often felt sort of haphazard and aimless. I think some of these problems would be solved by a longer cut, with more connective tissue and immersion rather than the greatest hits (but what hits!) approach I felt was at work in the theatrical cut.
I agree with your assessment of the film, but I'd assumed it was a problem exacerbated by its length (I've only seen the long version of the film). The film's premise and project is absolutely fascinating, but the extended dramatizations / fantasies are pretty unedifying and repetitive. It's abundantly clear that these guys are mass-murderers, not filmmakers, and that gives the film draggy, lumpy pacing.

I also think the film's big shock - how utterly candid and unabashed the killers are to the camera and in their staged recreations - is seriously undercut by the talk show footage in the middle, in which they behave in exactly the same way on national TV, with the studio audience totally unfazed and encouraging of their stance. Up until then I'd credited the re-enactment conceit as a clever catalyst for getting these creeps to reveal their dark history, but it turns out that this brazen self-publicity is actually their default mode, and the conceit is purely a filmic one (and given the dire amateurishness of those sequences, it's not even especially filmic).

It remains a fascinating film, but for me it's just not well-enough made to be a great documentary. I wondered if a drastic edit might help, but it seems like it hasn't.

FerdinandGriffon

#8 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 am

This problem of the recreations being badly staged isn't an issue for me in itself, but becomes one because I was never sure what the relationship was between the documentary and the fiction in terms of Oppenheimer's camera. When we see the reconstructions, are we watching the film as the killers intended it, or are we watching Oppenheimer shooting the killers shooting the film as they intended it?

Either way, the movie felt most awkward to me outside of the recreations, where Oppenheimer's camerawork and editing are very drab and slack, and where the narrative hops in and out of chronological order and from disconnected episode to disconnected episode to purposes unknown to me and in ways that weren't effectively signaled or texturally interesting.

The TV scene wasn't a problem for me, as from the beginning it has seemed that the killers were more than happy to talk about their crimes on their own turf, and that the populace around them were being repressed to such a degree that there was no danger of anyone fighting back or even questioning them. I think the real shock of the film is that they're so comfortable talking to an outsider, specifically a British-American, someone from the two Western countries most tied up in the crimes of their past. That scene where the mustachioed guy who arrived on the plane expresses his willingness to speak in Western courts about what happened with complete confidence in his own innocence and rectitude is one of the most upsetting in the film.

neal

#9 Post by neal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:28 pm

zedz wrote: The film's premise and project is absolutely fascinating, but the extended dramatizations / fantasies are pretty unedifying and repetitive. It's abundantly clear that these guys are mass-murderers, not filmmakers, and that gives the film draggy, lumpy pacing.
I've only seen the shorter version of the film, so I can't comment on the totality of the recreations included in the longer version, but I do think that the various recreations serve real and distinct purposes. Granted, I'm still processing-- having just seen this-- but some of my thoughts on those scenes are below.
SpoilerShow
The film (at least the short version) is bookended by two scenes of Anwars Congo on the roof of the political office where he used to garrote people to death. The first shows him explaining/demonstrating what he used to do (and thoughtlessly subjecting someone else to the recreation), then a brief moment of self-doubt which is quickly hidden and suppressed by an extended scene of dancing. At the end, in the same spot, he finally breaks down a little and seems to process what it is he's done.

The recreations in between serve a number of purposes in terms of the overarching story and in terms of character development. First, many of them demonstrate just how willingly and thoughtlessly the actors in these killings continue to subject those around them to terror and abuse-- people unwilling to participate out of fear; frequent children crying long after cut is called; the woman who faints; the neighbor who tells the story of his step-father, gets politely rebuked and then must sit and listen to the killers admit that they were horrible but that they might want to continue to hide that from the public. I also got a feeling in the pit of my stomach that they actually burnt down someone's home to make the scene where they recreated the burning of the "communist village." I'm not sure if this is accurate, but Congo quite noticeably speaks in the present tense-- at least in the English translation-- about what the women and children have just witnessed and that now they will see their homes burned. That brings up the second function of the recreations, which is to illustrate their effect on the people involved in them.

I've already mentioned some of the effects of the recreations on others above (the neighbor, the women and children). The recreations also engender revealing reactions from the actors themselves. The mustachioed executioner mentioned by Ferdinand above expresses his knowledge that he and his co-conspirators were the cruel ones and that their recreations will out that-- destroying years worth of propaganda. Congo experiences the garrote around his own neck for the first time and cannot deal with it, though it is only a recreation. The man from the Youth and Sports Minister's office who-- while extolling the virtues of irradiating the commies-- says that the ferocious depiction of the Pemuda Pancasila, while accurate, might be best toned down for PR purposes and then, just as quickly, changes his mind and says that it should just be presented not as their default but rather what happens when you poke the proverbial bear. Each of these small glimpses into the psyche of the actors happens in relation to a reenactment. In interview, the actors deny any remorse or interior conflict, but their conversations and reactions around the reenactments illustrate something different.

Thirdly, though perhaps self-evident, the reenactments are Oppenheimer's way in. The actors have always idolized the movies and moviestars. Their violence has always been an emulation or amplification of the movies. Now their movies are a recreation of their past violence. And try as they might, they can't seem to glorify that violence absolutely.

I find the musical/fantastical scene as the through line interesting because it is the one filmed "recreation" where there is no emotional conflict and there is blind glorification of the actors' past actions; it is also the most abstract and removed from reality.
I also think the film's big shock - how utterly candid and unabashed the killers are to the camera and in their staged recreations - is seriously undercut by the talk show footage in the middle, in which they behave in exactly the same way on national TV, with the studio audience totally unfazed and encouraging of their stance.
It's worth noting here that the studio audience for that show is composed entirely of co-conspirators (Pemuda Pancasila members) and that the production staff clearly is not encouraging. Also, the film as a whole is about and exists because of the fact that these killers continue to thrive and be revered based on the myth their society perpetuates. Oppenheimer's film operates largely by giving them the chance to write and act out the myth and capturing the cognitive dissonance that results.

neal

#10 Post by neal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm

FerdinandGriffon wrote:This problem of the recreations being badly staged isn't an issue for me in itself, but becomes one because I was never sure what the relationship was between the documentary and the fiction in terms of Oppenheimer's camera. When we see the reconstructions, are we watching the film as the killers intended it, or are we watching Oppenheimer shooting the killers shooting the film as they intended it?
Though it doesn't answer the question directly or with any finality, this article may be of interest.

zedz

#11 Post by zedz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't dispute that the recreations are an interesting device and reveal a lot of interesting attitudes. My problem with them is that they're like high school improvs from hell and they go on forever, way past their capacity to reveal anything new. Obviously, this should be less of a problem in the shortened cut.

neal

#12 Post by neal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm

zedz wrote:I don't dispute that the recreations are an interesting device and reveal a lot of interesting attitudes. My problem with them is that they're like high school improvs from hell and they go on forever, way past their capacity to reveal anything new. Obviously, this should be less of a problem in the shortened cut.
Gotcha. Though I didn't have the same experience with the cut I saw, that makes more sense to me, especially since what is gained from the individual recreations is often more about the what's going on before, after and in the periphery than it is about what is happening in the scene.

My primary (sole?) issue with pacing was actually feeling like the film moved away from awkward silence a few beats too early once or twice. Of course, that feeling on my part may have been a result of anything ranging from my mood to the possibility that there was no more silence captured on film in that moment because the person on screen started talking again a split second after the cut.

warren oates

#13 Post by warren oates » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:24 pm

neal wrote:...the neighbor who tells the story of his step-father, gets politely rebuked and then must sit and listen to the killers admit that they were horrible but that they might want to continue to hide that from the public.
I think this is one of the most important scenes in the film. The man telling this story is Anwar's next-door neighbor. And it's never clear why he agreed to participate in the project, whether it's out of deference to Anwar, genuine friendship with him, some of the more subtle types of coercion neal mentions or perhaps even an unconscious feeling that he'd have a moment like this one to speak up. But, man, what a scene! Right in the middle of the killers sitting around the set "pitching" ideas for what they as former death squad members might re-enact, this neighbor of Anwar's -- taking a break from his role as one of their victims -- interjects: "Hey, I got a story for you..." And he proceeds to tell them all of the time that a death squad came in the middle of the night and dragged his stepfather away. How they were all terrified. How the family found his body the next day in a street, covered by two halves of an oil drum. How, because nobody else would help them, he at age 12 and his uncle buried the stinking corpse of his stepfather by the side of the road in a shallow grave, "like a goat."

The reaction of the killers is chilling but also absurdly funny. Because it's more or less what happens when somebody that nobody wants to offend suggests a bad idea in a Hollywood writers' room. The killers' objections to why they can't film this range from bullshit budget/schedule excuses ("Too complicated, too many locations and company moves") to the vaguely dismissive ("We can't film every story") to the originalists ("That's not really the kind of thing we talked about doing before") and finally end in a weird face-saving gesture from Anwar himself who suggests "Well, maybe we could work that into the actors' motivations." So this eyewitness account will at least be part of the backstory!

A few more points:

--To clarify three of the most important characters for discussion purposes:

protagonist/head killer = Anwar
mustache guy with "apathetic" T-shirt and wife/daughter mall shopping = Adi
fat sidekick, hapless would-be politico and dragqueen comic relief = Herman

--That Democracy Now interview linked to above is long but well worth looking at. I learned, among other things, that Anwar was about the 40th killer Oppenheimer interviewed. He didn't settle upon him lightly. And Anwar was apparently so much of an egotist that he wouldn't give Oppenheimer Adi's contact info until he was assured that he was and would remain the focus/star of the documentary.

--I'm fascinated by the relationship between organized street criminals, higher level political corruption and the genocide. Am I wrong in feeling that, in this respect -- gangsters running death squads -- the mass killings in Indonesia are unique? It would be like Tony Soprano running the SS or something. Has anything like that ever happened anywhere else? Also on that note, I love the scenes where sidekick Herman runs for office so pathetically, not understanding that you're supposed to bribe voters beforethey vote for you. The way he tells it, there's not even the pretense of public service behind his ambition. It's simply a more efficient way to shake people down for protection money.

--I agree with zedz in part that, even in the shortened cut, a few of the recreations could use a little trimming, especially the ones that are more like rehearsals that we see early on -- one in the street and one in Anwar's living room. But as to the amateurishness of the scenes in general? One component of this is surely that a number of Oppenheimer's many collaborators are local volunteers (if you stay through the credits you'll see how many Anonymous names there are). So the coverage is inconsistent in quality because at times the camera people were. Not everybody shooting every scene is as integrated into the film's whole production team or as talented as the ones who shot most of it. Then there's the question of the content of the fictionalized scenes and their staging, which I'm not sure would have been improved by more professional or polished collaborators or writing/direction. The whole point of those re-enactments -- above and beyond anything that comes out in the process of making them -- was to capture what Oppenheimer refers to as "the dream life" of Anwar and the other killers. He also refers to his film as a "documentary of the imagination," a film about how they see themselves and how they wish to be seen by others. So I guess I feel like -- at least around the question of this particular intention -- it'd almost be like faulting the technique or representational naiveté of children's drawings, mistaking the ways in which they express unguarded truths by getting hung up on their sloppiness.

--Dusan Makavejev is another influence worth mentioning, as he mentored Oppenheimer at Harvard and is a fan of this film. It's not just about the freeform mixture of documentary and fiction or his feeling for the absurdity, comedy and violence of political systems, but it's also the kind of rough around the edges Id-like quality of the dreams/fantasies/fiction sequences in his films. "High school improvs from hell" wouldn't be a bad description of some of the scenes in Sweet Movie.

Bando

#14 Post by Bando » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 am

I just got home from a screening of the full director's cut. I'll be very interested to see what the difference was over the theatrical cut, Oppenheimer said it was about 45 minutes longer in his short introductory remarks. Didn't get a chance to stay for the Q&A, but I've never seen a full auditorium (with balcony) react to a film quite like this. A singularly arresting and visceral experience.

I'll have more substantial comments once I really process this, but my initial reaction is to echo the fact that the recreation scenes went on way, way, way too long.

warren oates

#15 Post by warren oates » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Blu-ray announced and detailed. Both cuts, audio commentary with Herzog, an essay by Morris and that long interview conspirator12 linked to above, all in plenty of time for the Oscar voters.

JabbaTheSlut

#16 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Good to have the both cuts in. Although the director has stated that the longer cut is the intended cut, I have to say I prefer the shorter cut, the longer becomes repetitive in the end.

warren oates

#17 Post by warren oates » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Assuming you've managed to post in the correct thread, why don't you enlighten us all by explaining the politically correct or at least the "aging old rad" approved rules for making films about genocide.

Start with listing the proper director, who obviously, for you, isn't Errol Morris. Who, unfortunately, also didn't direct The Act of Killing, for which you seem compelled to blame him. He's an executive producer who added his name after it was largely finished because he was a fan of the work. (While we're at it, why spare his producing partner Werner Herzog the misplaced rant?)

When you weren't paying attention to the film's actual credits, did you also happen to not notice the many crew members whose names were listed as "anonymous"? Or the fact that one of them shares the directing credit with Joshua Oppenheimer? Did you stop to wonder if that wasn't perhaps because all those people were Indonesians still living in fear of violent reprisal? Guess that "stench of white imperialism" in your nostrils was just too strong for the facts.

warren oates

#18 Post by warren oates » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:18 pm

If you really care so little what anyone else thinks of this film, what's with your initial drive-by dump on it or the hollow follow-up?

You might imagine you're questioning the filmmakers' motives -- once you figure out who they actually are -- but what you've written so far is so glib and broad that you might as well be prohibiting not just all films on the subject of genocide, for fear of further promoting it, but also all discussion of the history of crimes against humanity (including this thread and your own posts in it). Wouldn't want to make the mistake of providing more "oxygen" for mass killers by, say, for example, urging the Turks to acknowledge their role in the Hitler-inspiring prequel to the Holocaust that was the Armenian Genocide (FYI: Hitler was especially inspired by his contemporaries' silence and inaction). If that's not what you're saying, do be more specific and clarify what it is you mean. Tell us how this film in particular is different and how its attempt to portray the way the killers understand themselves and their deeds equates in any way with justifying or championing their behavior.

I'd also be curious to hear any evidence you've got to back up your claim that this multinational film production, this product of three collaborating directors (at least one woman and two people of color) and scores of local crew -- named and nameless -- this third film that Joshua Oppenheimer and his colleagues have made in Indonesia (one still forthcoming), this end of a more than decade-long process of learning the language and the culture while slowly and painstakingly documenting the crimes whose survivors (the subject of the forthcoming film) personally urged The Act of Killing to be made -- how this is in any way an unmistakable example of so-called "white imperialism."

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#19 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 pm

David- you did say
david hare wrote:The stench of white imperialsim is unmistakable.
So I'm guessing that's where Warren is coming from.

warren oates

#20 Post by warren oates » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Fair enough, david. I think you'll probably find more of the historical/political context you're looking for in the film Oppenheimer and his colleagues are finishing up now, the one he interrupted to complete The Act of Killing, in part because, while the local authorities were constantly harassing his crew and his subjects (the genocide survivors), he found he could talk to the perpetrators with ease because they were the establishment.

The Herzog death row films are an interesting comparison. Not just for Herzog's honesty, compassion and up front editorializing. But also for the drastically different circumstances of the killers, who have been judged by their society and its system of justice to be guilty and are serving/awaiting their legally adjudicated punishment. The killers in The Act of Killing are free and brazenly proud of what they've done. And that's precisely the point of documenting them in their natural state. As Oppenheimer points out in numerous interviews, most genocide documentaries confront perpetrators who either instinctively deny what they've done or preemptively apologize (often quite insincerely), because they're living in places and times when they know the society around them believes what they've done was wrong.

I do think you're still being a little unfair to The Act of Killing when it comes down to where it actually stands on the murderers. If you had any doubt at all there's a scene late in the film where Anwar Congo is talking about his momentary feeling of fear that he could die in the midst of a re-enactment. Congo says, furthermore, that this must have been what his own victims felt. And Joshua Oppenheimer clearly interrupts to remind him (and us): "But, Anwar, the difference is that you were only pretending. And your victims knew they were really going to die." For me, that's some higher order moral and spiritual jujitsu, where we're allowed glimpses of potential humanity and remorse from Congo, but without ever for a second letting him off the hook for what he's done.

The corollary strength of the Herzog death row films for me lies in their portrayal of the way the death penalty -- like the other acts of killing that lead up to it -- sullies the humanity of everyone it touches -- not just the murderers and their families, but the victims' families, the guards and wardens, the prison chaplain, rippling on down through generations.

martin

#21 Post by martin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:21 pm

The Act of Killing: don't give an Oscar to this snuff movie, says Nick Fraser in an article in The Guardian.

Director Oppenheimer replies in a 3 min. interview on Danish TV2 (in English, not sure about Geo-restrictions). I haven't seen the movie myself, so I can't contribute.

warren oates

#22 Post by warren oates » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:49 pm

That link works for me in the U.S. Oppenheimer, as expected, is incredibly well spoken. Didn't know that Guardian hit piece could conceivably have influenced the voting, as it was still possible to vote when it was published. They do note that every vote counts and cite The Fog of War's margin of victory as two or three votes.

dustybooks

#23 Post by dustybooks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Oppenheimer responds at greater length here. Quite an interesting piece.

TMDaines

#24 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:45 pm

zedz wrote:I don't dispute that the recreations are an interesting device and reveal a lot of interesting attitudes. My problem with them is that they're like high school improvs from hell and they go on forever, way past their capacity to reveal anything new. Obviously, this should be less of a problem in the shortened cut.
For what it's worth, I felt the same about the reenactments, but I was even watching the shorter cut that was shown on Sky Atlantic last week. They were the weakest part of the film for me, especially as it progressed, and they really added nothing once you'd seen the first couple for some of the blackest comedy imaginable and the delusions of obscene and vile grandeur. The role and status of the killers in the wider society was of far greater interest.

Sonmi451

#25 Post by Sonmi451 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33 am

I finally got to see this film the other night, and while I certainly found it affecting, I was left with a few reservations, including some already mentioned in this thread. One issue of course is the fact that the CIA was not mentioned a single time, but I was also troubled by the scene in which
SpoilerShow
Anwar forces his grandchildren to watch one of the reenactments, and we hear Oppenheimer object, "No Anwar, it's too violent." This coming after previous reenactments that included children being forced to participate, ending up hysterical and seemingly fearing for their lives, as well as the scenes where real shop-owners are extorted by local mafia, all for Oppenheimer's camera.
warren oates wrote:--I'm fascinated by the relationship between organized street criminals, higher level political corruption and the genocide. Am I wrong in feeling that, in this respect -- gangsters running death squads -- the mass killings in Indonesia are unique? It would be like Tony Soprano running the SS or something. Has anything like that ever happened anywhere else?
In fact, throughout history death squads have been largely comprised of/recruited from the most violent criminals within a society. Thugs, gangsters, rapists, and murderers tend to be the most reliable when the aim is to terrorize and murder your fellow citizens. In a recent context, the U.S. (i.e. CIA) has utilized the tactic almost without fail since the end of WWII, in their imperial adventures abroad, from Guatemala, Chile, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, to Iraq, Libya, Syria and currently in Ukraine, among many others (indeed including Indonesia).