We Are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Jeff

Re: We Are the Best! (Lukas Moodysson, 2013)

#51 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:03 pm

GaryC

#52 Post by GaryC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:03 pm

As we always mention when a certain other UK distributor releases discs with fixed subtitles, I'll mention here that Metrodome's DVD (no Blu-ray) of We Are the Best! has non-optional subs. And only a trailer as an extra.

Luke M

#53 Post by Luke M » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Watched this last night and loved it. It was funny, honest, endearing, and an overall fantastic film.

acroyear

#54 Post by acroyear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 am

As someone unfamiliar with the punk scene in Sweden at the time this movie took place, I was much intrigued by the music I heard throughout "We Are the Best" (aside from the songs the girls were writing)

Its a missed opportunity to not release a standalone music soundtrack from this. I would love to expand my punk collection with music from other countries, as most of what I know of originated from the US and UK. If I remember accurately, the only English-speaking (post-) punk band mentioned in the film was Joy Division.

klee13

#55 Post by klee13 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:40 am

acroyear wrote:If I remember accurately, the only English-speaking (post-) punk band mentioned in the film was Joy Division.
Don't for get the nearly ubiquitous Crass posters hanging in both girls' bedrooms!

I think the acoustic version of Sex noll två played by Liv LeMoyne was released in Sweden as a single—it's up on youtube. The original by KSMB plays on the soundtrack (and in the trailer), but for some reason I didn't I realize until much later that they were the same song. It is such a perfectly observed moment at a point when the way Hedvig feels towards the other girls is still unclear; she learns to play their favorite song (which probably took hours of practice at home!).

RobertB

#56 Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:27 pm

acroyear wrote:As someone unfamiliar with the punk scene in Sweden at the time this movie took place, I was much intrigued by the music I heard throughout "We Are the Best" (aside from the songs the girls were writing)

Its a missed opportunity to not release a standalone music soundtrack from this. I would love to expand my punk collection with music from other countries, as most of what I know of originated from the US and UK. If I remember accurately, the only English-speaking (post-) punk band mentioned in the film was Joy Division.
The soundtrack is released on vinyl in Sweden. I can't find any CD release. But anyway it sucks as an introduction to Swedish punk. It even has a Human League track!Svenska Punkklassiker Vol.1 is a much better selection. It doesn't have Sex noll två by KSMB, but you get two other tunes with them. And three tunes with Ebba Grön that still in 2014 manage to upset conservative politicians in Sweden when they are played on the radio! :lol:

acroyear

#58 Post by acroyear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:28 pm

RobertB wrote:
acroyear wrote:As someone unfamiliar with the punk scene in Sweden at the time this movie took place, I was much intrigued by the music I heard throughout "We Are the Best" (aside from the songs the girls were writing)

The soundtrack is released on vinyl in Sweden. I can't find any CD release. But anyway it sucks as an introduction to Swedish punk. It even has a Human League track!Svenska Punkklassiker Vol.1 is a much better selection. It doesn't have Sex noll två by KSMB, but you get two other tunes with them. And three tunes with Ebba Grön that still in 2014 manage to upset conservative politicians in Sweden when they are played on the radio! :lol:
Thanks for the heads up on the Swedish punk rock comp.

Even if the film's soundtrack became my introduction to Swedish punk rock, I probably would not have thought much of it's quality (or lack thereof) until I became immersed in all that music scene had to offer.

I wouldn't mind the Human League inclusion. I just wish it wasn't a song so ubiquitous. ](*,)
Thanks! I found this on the same blog with more detailed information (with links to the other discs there). I only see Slits and X-Ray Spex as familiar names.
Klaylock wrote:
acroyear wrote:If I remember accurately, the only English-speaking (post-) punk band mentioned in the film was Joy Division.
Don't for get the nearly ubiquitous Crass posters hanging in both girls' bedrooms!
I'm a Crass fan and I forgot about the posters! :oops:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Moodysson's Tumblr is giving me too much insight into how a grown man can tap so easily into childhood

Kirkinson

#60 Post by Kirkinson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:37 am

I wrote on my tumblr that this was the most joyful film anyone has made since My Neighbor Totoro—not intending any comparison between them other than the fact that both films make me feel ridiculously happy—and said if I ever met Lukas Moodysson I might have to give him a hug. Moodysson liked and reblogged it, said he doesn't like hugs but thanked me all the same (then followed both of my blogs), but after I responded to his response ("You're quite welcome!") he reblogged it again and wrote, "TOTORO, YES, MAYBE I SHOULD WRITE LIKE MIYAZAKI?" and then posted a gif of Totoro and wrote "MY NEW MOVIE -?" and I honestly can't figure out whether I've insulted him.

Anyway, yes, this film radiates so much good will and positive energy it's almost miraculous. It seems exceptionally rare to see such joy in a film without ever feeling like it's being forced, or for a film to be this adorable without ever becoming cloying. It all seems so uncontrived, though, so spontaneous—too lifelike to ever feel fake. I've been trying to recommend it to everyone I know, but with surprisingly little success.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#61 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:06 pm

It's popular in our household (as is Totoro -- and Linda, Linda, Linda, which I still love more than the wonderful We are the Best).