Awards Season 2012

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Awards Season 2012

#226 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 pm

eerik wrote:Listened to all five Academy Award nominated songs. There are only two worthwhile entries: "Skyfall" from Skyfall and "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from Ted. The other three are dull, emotionless rubbish. Why did they even bother with five nominees? Should have been only two like last year.
I'm surprised Django Unchained didn't get any nominations. Hell, even the Frank Ocean track that Tarantino left out is better than any of the nominees.

Jeff

#227 Post by Jeff » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:47 pm

eerik wrote:Listened to all five Academy Award nominated songs. There are only two worthwhile entries: "Skyfall" from Skyfall and "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from Ted. The other three are dull, emotionless rubbish. Why did they even bother with five nominees? Should have been only two like last year.
I like the Skyfall theme quite a bit, and of course they were going to nominate the Les Mis song, but I was really surprised by the other choices too. Here are the 75 eligible songs voters were choosing from. Of those, I kind of expected them to go with Paul Williams' "Still Alive," and I liked "Strange Love" from Frankenweenie. I would have loved a Django-centric lineup. My favorite was "Who Did That to You?".

* NB: I don't know shit about music.

hearthesilence

#228 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Jesus, the Black Keys ("Baddest Man Alive"), Arcade Fire ("Abraham's Daughter"), Fiona Apple ("Dull Tool"), Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs ("Strange Love"), Liz Phair ("Dotted Line") were also eligible? How awesome would that have been, to have indie rock icons for all five nominees?

flyonthewall2983

#229 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Could care less about the song, but I hope Thomas Newman wins for scoring Skyfall.

Jeff

#230 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#231 Post by lacritfan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Jeff wrote:Image
LOL @ TLJ : That ain't fun-eh'. Meryl didn't play a share-iff. I should know, I was in the movie.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#232 Post by lacritfan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Does Kevin Costner know he's gonna die or something?

hearthesilence

#233 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Jesus, these awards have a strong weakness for actors nominated for something besides acting. Robert Redford, Kevin Costner, Emma Thompson (writing), Mel Gibson...in retrospect it makes Affleck's omission from the Oscars pretty shocking.

Black Hat

#234 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Christian Bale's serious actor shtick kills me every time. You sounded like Cookie Monster and wore a rubber suit for 3 Batman movies bro.

The Narrator Returns

#235 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Wow. I am honestly not sure how the actual Oscars are going to go, now that Argo is a clear, yet not clear frontrunner.

Kellen

#236 Post by Kellen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 am

I thought Joaquin Phoenix would win.

The Narrator Returns

#237 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 am

Nah, I knew DDL was going to win. If Phoenix wins come Oscar time, I will be shocked and certainly more respectful of the Academy.

hearthesilence

#238 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 am

Nah, DDL was definitely going to win. The first male actor to win three lead Oscars...I can dig it.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#239 Post by lacritfan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 am

I used to like when the Oscar nominees were after the Globes. While the Globes have had a few inspiring choices here and there overall they were a little too mainstream so when their nominees/winners didn't make the Oscar cut I have to admit I had myself a satisfying smirk. (If they did that this year - their best director not even nominated!)
Tina and Amy were pretty good hosts, some pretty funny moments, wouldn't mind if they repeated a couple of times.
I've always admired Jodie Foster and continue to do so. Mel Gibson is a fuckin' jerk but he's damn lucky he has such a loyal friend as her. And as much as I'm sure gay people would wish she officially come out (and let's face it she pretty much did) after hearing her speech I can't fault her for not wanting to.
Overall a satisfying show. As far as who won, I think the winners of the Globes are starting to have less and less an influence on the Oscars, and that's a good thing. I never really understood how the opinions of less than 100 people had any effect on Hollywood's biggest award show.

hearthesilence

#240 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am

Me neither, but their influence is exaggerated. Just wait for the union awards, then you'll know what the Oscars are going to lean to.

As for Argo, it may be too hard for Academy voters to resist. A (fake) Hollywood production saving the lives of hostages...one filmmaker gets demonized for her efforts to portray an uncomfortable reality, another is rewarded after fabricating a climax out of old '80s action movies.

dx23

#241 Post by dx23 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:14 am

I can't stop cracking up when I see this photo. Their resemblance is uncanny.

I loved Jodie Foster's speech. She is the epitome that a child actor can make it in Hollywood if they simply focus in their careers and not being the "it" person. She also proves that you can keep your life private in Hollywood if you want to.

Matt

#242 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 pm

lacritfan wrote:And as much as I'm sure gay people would wish she officially come out (and let's face it she pretty much did) after hearing her speech I can't fault her for not wanting to.
Jodie Foster as much as came out 5 years ago, thanking her "beautiful Cydney" in an address at a Women in Entertainment event. It's great when celebrities come out publicly and more should, but it's no longer that big a deal when they do. Unless they are a younger, big box office film lead (say, a Bradley Cooper type) or a current male major-league athlete. How many of you know or care that Kristy McNichol, Jim Parsons, Jillian Michaels, or Zachary Quinto came out last year? Anderson Cooper and Frank Ocean were big deals because of their respective professional fields (and Cooper more so because he played coy for so many years).

flyonthewall2983

#243 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Quite honestly, it'd be more attention-getting if athletes came out of the closet now. Especially ones still active in their sports. It's been known to be a thorny issue, especially in the NFL recently.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#244 Post by lacritfan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Seth MacFarlane wrote:Tommy Lee Jones laughing uproariously at Wiig and Ferrell. I'm told this is also his sex face.

Andre Jurieu

#245 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Matt wrote:
lacritfan wrote:And as much as I'm sure gay people would wish she officially come out (and let's face it she pretty much did) after hearing her speech I can't fault her for not wanting to.
Jodie Foster as much as came out 5 years ago, thanking her "beautiful Cydney" in an address at a Women in Entertainment event. It's great when celebrities come out publicly and more should, but it's no longer that big a deal when they do. Unless they are a younger, big box office film lead (say, a Bradley Cooper type) or a current male major-league athlete. How many of you know or care that Kristy McNichol, Jim Parsons, Jillian Michaels, or Zachary Quinto came out last year?
I actually didn't even know Kristy McNichol was alive.

I'm a huge Jodie Foster fan, but last night's speech had me worried about her mental health. She was just so manic and scattered throughout. That certainly might be due to nerves regarding the scenario of the award and content of her speech, but I started to wonder if the reason that she's remained so ridiculously loyal to Mel Gibson throughout the past few years, despite his very public and vile comments regarding homosexuality, (and, perhaps, to a lesser extend Robert Downey Jr when he was crashing in the 90s) was because they both might share the same mental health problems. Then again, there are those old rumors that Gibson is the father to her children. Though based on what her kids look like, that doesn't seem to be a strong possibility.

Matt

#246 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm sure she's fine. She doesn't speak in public or do talk shows or interviews very often, and she's always been a little off-kilter and awkward.

Feego

#247 Post by Feego » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I think the most likely scenario is that she was a little tipsy. The Golden Globes have been known to bring out the drunk in people. And let's be honest, would you be in a zen state if you were sitting between Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. for three hours?

warren oates

#248 Post by warren oates » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Just saw 5 Broken Cameras (Emad Burnat and Guy Davidi), an Oscar nominated documentary now available via Netflix (streaming and on disc) and I can't recommend it highly enough. I haven't seen all the other nominated docs yet but I can't imagine there's one that's more compelling or necessary or that better represents the possibilities and the essence of documentary filmmaking today -- especially the imperative to bear witness. A masterpiece of first-person digital reportage that upended all my expectations about what it would be.

bearcuborg

Re: Dynamic Top Tens of 2012

#250 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I persuaded Jonathan Rosenbaum to post his top DVDs of 2012 since Gary and the gang at DVD Beaver didn't have the time to include personal selections. I hope this is the right place to post this link.