Hitchcock (Sacha Gervasi, 2012)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Jeff

#1 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Earlier this year, Hollywood Elsewhere reported on Ryan Murphy's plans to make a Hitch biopic, focusing on the making of Psycho. Anthony Hopkins will be playing the title role, and has now confirmed the news. Here he is describing the film's opening sequence and doing a bit of his impression of The Master of Suspense.

Lemmy Caution

#2 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Interesting. Since Ryan Murphy wrote and directed Running with Scissors, I guess he has a sufficient mother-son conflict to appreciate Psycho.

The last few weeks I've been watching Season One of the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV show(1955-56). The very first episode, titled Revenge, features Vera Miles and Ralph Meeker, and is directed by Hitchcock. Fairly nasty and hard-hitting for mid-50's TV. It seems that AH Presents brought a more adult, movie-style sensibility to the small screen. Hitchcock was supposed to direct alot of the episodes, but instead directed only 3 or 4 per season (4 of 39 Season One episodes.

Also, AH Presents creates the template for future anthology series such as The Twilight Zone -- quirky recognizable theme music, intro and outro narrated by idiosyncratic host, using stories from famous and hot young writers, using well-known movie stars and up-and-coming actors, etc. In fact, there seems to be a good deal of overlap between the writers and actors used in AH Presents and the slightly later Twilight Zone (first season beginning 1959).

The standout for me has been the 8th episode, Breakdown, with Hitchcock directing an adaptation of a Ray Bradbury story. Joseph Cotten plays a hard-hearted executive who gets paralyzed in a traffic accident, with everyone thinking he's dead. Some great visuals, including some Psycho-esque editing.

I also like the 50's time-capsule effect of the show. Breakdown features a guy falling apart after Cotten fires him (he thought it was a job for life and pleads that even his children feel part of the corporate family), a prison work gang repairing a highway, and old-style race relations (when two prisoners, one black and one white, find the presumed dead driver and strip him of the clothes, there's no question who is in charge and will get the one set of clothes).

I hope the Ryan Murphy film captures that 50's element and the tension between what was allowable on the big and small screens.

Magic Hate Ball

#3 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:31 am

I'm always pretty cautious about director biopics, mostly because, since they direct, they're not often in the limelite and it's a little more difficult to paint an exact picture, or at least an accurate one. Nonetheless, I look forward to Anthony Hopkins in a fat suit.
Lemmy Caution wrote:The standout for me has been the 8th episode, Breakdown, with Hitchcock directing an adaptation of a Ray Bradbury story.
I really love Shopping For Death, another Bradbury episode.

Jeff

Hitchcock (Sacha Gervasi, 2012)

#4 Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Hitchcock started filming today. Here is the press release.
The film will star Academy Award® winners Sir Anthony Hopkins as Alfred Hitchcock and Dame Helen Mirren as his wife, Alma. Sacha Gervasi, whose big screen debut, ANVIL! THE STORY OF ANVIL won the 2010 Best Documentary Feature prize at the Independent Spirit Awards, will direct from a screenplay by John McLaughlin, revisions by Ryan Murphy, Stephen Rebello and Sacha Gervasi, based on the book Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello...

HITCHCOCK is a love story about one of the most influential filmmakers of the last century, Alfred Hitchcock and his wife and partner Alma Reville. The film takes place during the making of Hitchcock’s seminal movie PSYCHO.

The film will also star Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION) as Janet Leigh, James D'Arcy (MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD) as Anthony Perkins, Jessica Biel (THE ILLUSIONIST ) as Vera Miles, Michael Stuhlbarg (A SERIOUS MAN) as Lew Wasserman, Toni Collette (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE) as Hitchcock’s secretary Peggy, Michael Wincott (THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO) as Ed Gein, Kurtwood Smith (TO DIE FOR) as Geoffrey Shurlock, Richard Portnow (GOOD MORNING VIETNAM) as Barney Balaban and Danny Huston (THE CONSTANT GARDENER) as Whitfield Cook.

knives

Re: New Films in Production

#5 Post by knives » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 pm

That's some damn good casting though I wonder how Gein is going to fit in and why there is no Bloch mentioned.

hearthesilence

#6 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 pm

"Ivan Reitman will produce." Ugh.

The Narrator Returns

#7 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:56 pm

"Revisions by Ryan Murphy." Double ugh.

Dylan

#8 Post by Dylan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm curious who's playing Robert Bloch and Bernard Herrmann, as they surely must figure in a film centered around the making of Psycho.

hearthesilence

Re: Hitchcock (Sacha Gervasi, 2013)

#9 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:"Revisions by Ryan Murphy." Double ugh.
Dylan wrote:I'm curious who's playing Robert Bloch and Bernard Herrmann, as they surely must figure in a film centered around the making of Psycho.
"I've got a great idea. Wait for it...wait for it....BAM! Bernard Herrmann on Glee."

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Anvil! is a great film, but it offers few clues as to how Gervasi will handle this project. The track record for this kind of dramatized inside-dopery isn't exactly heartening, but the Alfred / Alma relationship is an intriguing and under-explored hook. Good luck, I guess!

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 am

There's tons of good material in the source book, so I'm optimistic for now.

dustybooks

#12 Post by dustybooks » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Rebello is on a listserv I read and is over the moon about the script and casting, so while I long had some misgivings about this project I'm cautiously excited for now.

I'm glad they shortened the title (from 'Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho') but I think the minimalistic 'Hitchcock' is too vague -- it suggests a straight biopic, which honestly would interest me less than this does.

Not mentioned above: Jeff Cronenweth is DP.

Jack Phillips

#13 Post by Jack Phillips » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Here's something I'd like to know: are they filming in B&W?

hearthesilence

#14 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:17 pm

If only Fincher was directing it.

A bit off topic, but if I was, say, a film producer with gobs of money and clout, I always thought it would be fun to do an omnibus of Hitchcock homages. I really think filmmakers in general have a lot of fun "doing Hitchcock" and the best ones mimic him so well. Forget about DePalma for a minute and look at Scorsese's wine commercial, or some of Polanski's work in The Ghost Writer, etc. Those two, plus Fincher, the Coen brothers...Hitchcock's style is so familiar to so many, I wonder if they'd all do a note perfect imitation indistinguishable to the next, or if they'd still hover around something in Hitchcock's films that connects their own work to him. Might be a good auteur exercise in some way.

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:Here's something I'd like to know: are they filming in B&W?
I doubt it very much. What would be the point?

Dylan

#16 Post by Dylan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
I doubt it very much. What would be the point?
Ed Wood sure looked gorgeous in b&w and that's also the account of a real life movie director making (arguably) his most famous film. Also, with The Artist winning the Oscar, I can't see as much balking at b&w now from the studios. More than anything, it would be great to see more new b&w Hollywood movies, and it wouldn't be inappropriate for a film with this subject matter to be shot like that.

FerdinandGriffon

#17 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Is the movie called Van Sant?

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Dylan wrote:More than anything, it would be great to see more new b&w Hollywood movies, and it wouldn't be inappropriate for a film with this subject matter to be shot like that.
Black and white worked in Ed Wood because it's as much a personal tribute by Tim Burton to Wood's highly distinctive worldview - but if Hitchcock is a straightforward adaptation of Rebello's book it's attempting something quite different, and I really don't think black and white would suit it.

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Jeff

#20 Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#21 Post by Brian C » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:16 pm

He should play the whole movie in profile.

knives

#22 Post by knives » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:53 pm

That's a convincing fat suit.

Jeff

#23 Post by Jeff » Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#24 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:30 pm

I still think she looks far too young to be Janet Leigh, and the makeup isn't helping. But eh, you're never going to find someone exact.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#25 Post by swo17 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Why can't they make the movie with holograms?