Knight of Cups (Terrence Malick, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Altair

Re: Knight of Cups (Terrence Malick, 2015)

#51 Post by Altair » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Absolutely glorious poster - now it's all the more frustrating that it potentially won't screen in the UK until 2016!

Finch

#52 Post by Finch » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:42 pm

pzadvance

#53 Post by pzadvance » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian

#54 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Broad Green picks up U.S. rights

They're already handling Voyage of Time and the Knight of Cups deal also includes the untitled Austin film.

FrauBlucher

#55 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Wonder what it means for the physical media rights? Could it go right to Criterion?

Jeff

#56 Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:47 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:Broad Green picks up U.S. rights

They're already handling Voyage of Time and the Knight of Cups deal also includes the untitled Austin film.
These guys are 35 and 31, and have the rights to three Terrence Malick films. They've got Jeremy Saulnier's Green Room and Mia Hansen-Løve's Eden too.

Cronenfly

#57 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Between these guys and Megan Ellison, it would seem that the future of even slightly risky commercial film distribution/funding rests in the hands of extremely wealthy patrons from other walks of life. Not that I'm complaining, mind, just glad that someone is stepping in to pick up the slack.

hearthesilence

#60 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 am

Cronenfly wrote:Between these guys and Megan Ellison, it would seem that the future of even slightly risky commercial film distribution/funding rests in the hands of extremely wealthy patrons from other walks of life. Not that I'm complaining, mind, just glad that someone is stepping in to pick up the slack.
It's funny, I was talking with someone about this the other day in relation to this old story about the CIA's covert support of modern art. For some reason, it was dug up again and making the rounds on social media, but the first thing that came to mind was, "man, maybe that's what it'll take to turn things around."

Finch

#61 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Kenji Fujishima at Slant wasn't impressed.
With Knight of Cups, Terrence Malick achieves the sense of stylistic ossification that many accused his last feature, To the Wonder, of embodying. The difference is that the earlier film was still, in its own rather elemental ways, tied to actual flesh-and-blood characters on screen. In Knights of Cups, by contrast, Malick seems to have finally decided to do away with humans altogether. In some ways, this is the filmmaker's 8 ½: a feature-length riff on his own creative frustration, with Christian Bale as his directionless stand-in, a screenwriter suffering from spiritual ennui. But then, of course he's bored and frustrated: He lives in Hollywood, after all, and if works like The Day of the Locust and The Player have shown us anything over the years, what else is Hollywood but a cesspool of decadence and empty hedonism? To this ostensibly mind-blowing insight, Malick adds a fascination with landscapes and architecture that recalls Michelangelo Antonioni's similar obsessions in the unofficial trilogy of L'Avventura, La Notte, and L'Eclisse—though Emmanuel Lubezki's roving camerawork and the poetically hushed voiceovers on the soundtrack scream Malick through and through.

djproject

#62 Post by djproject » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:27 am

A good friend of mine - who is also a fan of Malick - commented how you can take The Tree of Life, To the Wonder and Knight of Cups as an unofficial "loose autobiography" trilogy. All you need is another film where you have a middle-aged character contemplating the meaning of life and creating an art piece reflecting this and then everything will lapse in on itself =].

ShellOilJunior

#63 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Mixed reviews as expected.

For me Malick has never missed so I'm expecting another excellent film.

Jeff

#64 Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Between these guys and Megan Ellison, it would seem that the future of even slightly risky commercial film distribution/funding rests in the hands of extremely wealthy patrons from other walks of life. Not that I'm complaining, mind, just glad that someone is stepping in to pick up the slack.
The Atlantic has a piece on this phenomenon.

Ovader

#65 Post by Ovader » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Not until 2016.
First up in 2016 is “Knight of Cups,” which debuted at Berlin to a mixed response. So rather than go out in December during the awards corridor, they decided to go in the new year. "We want to have the longest run possible," said Hammond, "not for money’s sake, but so we can get as many people to share the experience." Next will be the still-untitled drama (which will not be called "Weightless"), which recycles some of the same ensemble cast led by Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett and Natalie Portman, followed by "Voyage of Time."

FrauBlucher

Re: Knight of Cups (Terrence Malick, 2016)

#66 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:08 pm

Get ready for the Malick discord once again....
Broad Green Pictures has announced that Terrence Malick’s star-studded “Knight of Cups” will arrive in theaters on March 4, 2016,

LittleFerret

#67 Post by LittleFerret » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:12 am

Altair

#68 Post by Altair » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:06 pm

New U.S. trailer

Malick's experiments with digital cinematography seem to have reaped amazing results if the trailer's anything to go by.

pzadvance

#69 Post by pzadvance » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:36 pm

Altair wrote:New U.S. trailer

Malick's experiments with digital cinematography seem to have reaped amazing results if the trailer's anything to go by.
I've seen this circulating and I cannot tell what's different about it from the trailer we got a year ago. Maybe a few of the quick cutaways have been switched out? Seems exactly the same to me...

AK

#70 Post by AK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:09 am

Might be old news, but still news to me: this is going to be released on Blu in Germany already on 14 January. (Amazon.de)

Trees

#71 Post by Trees » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:22 am

AK wrote:Might be old news, but still news to me: this is going to be released on Blu in Germany already on 14 January. (Amazon.de)
That's bad news for Broad Green, who are releasing the film in the USA March 4. A lot of people may choose to watch this by electronic means once it's out on blu-ray.

"Night" is a continuation of the new narrative style Malick has been working on in earnest since "To the Wonder", trying to tell stories in new ways. Almost like trying to invent a new language. It's not easy. The visuals and the film in general are superior to "Wonder", but if you were frustrated by "Wonder's" lack of traditional narrative or structure, you will find more of the same with "Knight". I personally loved the film and connected with the main character, Rick, but for anyone who is not an arthouse aficionado or Malick die-hard, they may have problems connecting with this picture.

ermylaw

#72 Post by ermylaw » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:19 pm

AK wrote:Might be old news, but still news to me: this is going to be released on Blu in Germany already on 14 January. (Amazon.de)
Thank you for posting this. I might go for this blu -- I wonder if anyone has any info about this studio and forced subtitles...?

AK

#73 Post by AK » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:00 pm

ermylaw wrote:
Thank you for posting this. I might go for this blu -- I wonder if anyone has any info about this studio and forced subtitles...?
Good call on the forced subtitles question. I have no idea myself. I'll definitely get this anyway, since it'll only premiere here in February, and likely won't come near where I live in a while, if at all. The news of the imminent release of the Blu-ray has also made me quickly buy To the Wonder as well — a film I've seen only once, and if possible, felt rather neutral about, which is astonishing since I absolutely love everything else Malick has ever done. High time to see it again, then.

ermylaw

#74 Post by ermylaw » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:58 pm

The description seems to say that there is a German dub track, so that might indicate that subtitles are optional. It comes out to $19 USD, which is a good price.

Lost Highway

#75 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:54 am

Trees wrote:
That's bad news for Broad Green, who are releasing the film in the USA March 4. A lot of people may choose to watch this by electronic means once it's out on blu-ray.

"Night" is a continuation of the new narrative style Malick has been working on in earnest since "To the Wonder", trying to tell stories in new ways. Almost like trying to invent a new language. It's not easy. The visuals and the film in general are superior to "Wonder", but if you were frustrated by "Wonder's" lack of traditional narrative or structure, you will find more of the same with "Knight". I personally loved the film and connected with the main character, Rick, but for anyone who is not an arthouse aficionado or Malick die-hard, they may have problems connecting with this picture.
I don't see Malick inventing a new language, I just see a film-maker who is further lapsing into self-parody and I'm perfectly fine with films which lack traditional narrative or structure. There is a reason why Malick's critical stock has dropped sharply and it's because his box of tricks has played itself out and his films lack substance. The trailer for this sets off nothing but alarm bells, clumsily lurching from one trite cliche (visually and thematically) to the next.