The Films of 2012

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Films of 2012

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:31 pm

This is a catch-all thread for films released this year where a devoted thread may not be warranted or necessary. This thread is not intended to prevent members from starting new threads about worthy films, but is intended to cut down on people making threads that get two or three responses at best before dying on the vine. This thread will also hopefully inspire people to wax on films they might not otherwise bother discussing on the forum for fear of lack of response-- who knows, maybe that little film you think no one's seen leads to a grand debate among members? Fear not, any discussions that spin out significant commentary within this thread can and will be split into a devoted thread by the Mods

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: The Films of 2012

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:08 pm

I'll still defend my decision to create a Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas thread.
aox wrote:I am almost ashamed to say it, but I have heard that this film is indeed pretty great.
Good times.

tarpilot

#3 Post by tarpilot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:01 pm

swo17 wrote:Dunham had a voice role in House of the Devil too (911 operator). Her parents probably know West's parents or something.
West is BFFs with Swanberg and Co. and has roles in AutoErotic and Silver Bullets and probably 18 of Swanberg's other 2011 movies

puxzkkx

#4 Post by puxzkkx » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Has anyone seen Karl Markovics' Breathing? It premiered at Cannes last year. It is modest in scope but really well-written and gorgeously shot, a coming-of-age story that allies that concept with the processes of birth and death as well. At the core is a truly magnificent performance by the 17 year-old Thomas Schubert, who is just a natural. That isn't to say that he's just a skilled nonpro - although he is - but that he is a really smart actor, lucid, incredibly expressive and just perfectly on-key throughout. I can't recall ever being this impressed by a debut performer.

The director is an actor too, he was in The Counterfeiters. I'm very interested in seeing where he and Schubert go from here, the latter has confirmed that he plans to continue acting. The story of his getting the role is one of those destined for future biographies - he accompanied a friend to an audition not expecting to try out, was needled into it and won the role.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't imagine Goon will get (or deserve) its own thread, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. Although half the budget could have been raised via an on-set swear box and the other half was clearly spent on blood capsules and additional mixing time to ensure that the all-important sound effects 'THWACK!', 'CRUNCH!' and 'RAAARGH!' were amped to the max, it turned out to be an unexpectedly marshmallow-hearted fluffball of a film.

Much of this is thanks to Seann William Scott's immensely winning title-role performance as Doug Glatt, a slow-witted lummox whose utterly sweet nature would suggest that he couldn't hurt a fly, were it not for the fact that his only discernible talent is an ability to pummel people into the ground with a few well-aimed blows. Initially finding gainful employment as a bouncer (where he apologises to miscreants after beating the crap out of them), he is 'talent-spotted' by an ice-hockey coach who is looking for a 'goon' to protect his star player. Despite barely being able to keep upright on the ice at first, Doug proves more than up to the challenge - but what will happen when Canada's most notorious goon comes off suspension and ends up on the opposing team? And will Doug successfully woo Eva (Alison Pill) despite having the worst chat-up technique since Gregory in Gregory's Girl?

A preparatory viewing of Slap Shot (its obvious model) some 36 hours beforehand did Goon no favours, as the earlier film made the most of its extra 30 minutes to offer far more detailed studies of character and milieu - but for a rousingly entertaining night out, you could do a lot worse. Provided you don't have a phobia about repeated shots of bloody teeth hitting the ice in slow motion.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 pm

This one probably deserves it's own thread, but I doubt anyone has seen it. Anyway if anyone deserves biggest improvement of the year award it's Celine Sciamma whose Tomboy is just great. while still probably good there were a lot of flaws with her previous effort, Water Lillies, that made me neverous going into this one, but all of those problems are gone with all of the elements that made me interested the first time around improved upon. The best thing is the realism and naturalism of the performances. There are several instances where it feels like she just dropped the kids in a situation and shot what came of it. It's not documentary, but has that same sort of rawness.

Another great thing is that Sciamma doesn't bother to wipe the audiences' noses into it. The trans thing is very much present and thoroughly and respectfully explored, but it's more of a conceit to give the film form rather than turning this into an other lame social picture. It's just an other part to that feeling of being out of place that comes with moving. This naturally gives a more universal and powerful feeling to the narrative which is told in that Pialat style that so much of modern French cinema is. It's really easy to just stand right there with him and let the film quietly create an honest world.

Jeff

#7 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 pm

I saw it and agree with you wholeheartedly, knives. Incredibly naturalistic performances by the kids.

Even though it's still making the rounds, it's technically a 2011 film. It opened NYC in November and played several cities already. Its commercial run here in Denver was mid-December. Just missed my "runners-up" list last year.

knives

#8 Post by knives » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:57 pm

We don't have a 2011 list though so I figured this was safe posting.

Jeff

#9 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:42 am

Absolutely. Just clarifying for list-making purposes and whatnot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim) Aggressively unfunny strand of scenes in which our writer/director/stars act mentally retarded, occasionally with the help of famous friends, occasionally without. The pic has one good joke about all those movie production house credits that appear before a film starts, but that obviously gets burned off pretty quickly and we're left with the same shrill Everything Is Terrible imitations that plague their series. The resultant film, if you can call it that, will occasionally hit a light laugh, more out of viewer desperation to cling to anything resembling amusement than actual comedic stimuli. John C Reilly (who provides the brunt of the film's scant chuckles) and Will Ferrell at least elevate their cameos with game performances that ease greatly the tedious torture of having to sit through shock sequences like young boys projectile shitting on one of Our Heroes and things being inserted on-camera into the opening of a (prosthetic) penis.
SpoilerShow
One hopes the presumably fake Spielberg cameo at the end of the film fools Armond White enough to coerce a positive review so at least something worthwhile results from this freak show

LQ

#11 Post by LQ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:00 am

Unfortunately, The Woman in Black isn't quite the diamond in the February chaff that some reviews would have you think it is. Elegantly appointed but completely standard-issue haunted house fare that devotes an awful lot of time to Daniel Radcliffe walking up and down a creaky staircase to investigate the latest in a never-ending litany of bumps and thumps. I enjoyed seeing Ciaran Hinds and Janet McTeer, and the location effectively evokes a sense of isolation, but the film isn't anything noteworthy, or even especially spooky.

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Agree 100%, plus too many cheap scares.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:32 am

I haven't seen it myself yet, but Tony Gatlif's Indignados (Demetrios Matheou's Berlin review is here) sounds all too topical - and this is very much Gatlif's natural territory:
Described as a “dramatised account of a Europe in revolt”, the film looks specifically at two things: the appalling experiences of undocumented immigrants, and the continent-wide demonstrations against the economic crisis. Gatlif derives his title from Spain’s Indignados (Outrage) protest movement, and his inspiration from the pamphlet ‘Indignez-vous!’ (‘Time for Outrage’) by the former Resistance fighter, diplomat and writer Stéphane Hessel.

The film occupies that ever-murky, ever-engaging grey zone between documentary and fiction. In its foreground is the story of ‘Betty’, a young, undocumented immigrant from Africa, who mysteriously swims ashore in Greece and is buffeted from one country to another, unwanted, her only trace on the continent the fingerprints taken by police wherever she goes. Betty’s story is clearly orchestrated; around her Gatlif combines conventional documentary coverage of the mass demonstrations in Athens and Madrid with beautifully shot and imagined sequences that add resonance to his theme.

StevenS

#14 Post by StevenS » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:56 pm

First certified to remain in the top ten is Sleep Tight.

The director of the first two REC films, Jaume Balagueró, returns with another claustrophobic and intense white knuckle thriller to make it three gems in a row.

Luis Tosar takes on the role of Cesar, the concierge of an apartment block who desperately seeks some form of happiness. The only way he can find it is through some good old fashioned schadenfreude.

What the director does so well is turn the tables on the audience as you follow Cesar through his daily routine of mental torture, that escalates the more frustrated he becomes. You want him to be caught yet you are curious as to how he will up the ante next; creeping around trying not to get caught keeps your nerves on edge.

Tosar is dominant as usual, with an understated performance but with the menace and power he retains in his eyes, the presence of his real power is never far away.
Last edited by StevenS on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Well, you've certainly piqued my interest, but the fact that you consider [REC] 2 a gem concerns me.

StevenS

#16 Post by StevenS » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:46 pm

I thought the sequel kept the same intensity and approach fresh in the follow up; even though I was very weary of what the follow up would bring.

Granted, the ending over egged the pudding a little but not enough to distract from another fantastic horror.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:57 pm

StevenS wrote:First certified to remain in the top ten is Sleep Tight.

[. . .]

Tosar is dominant as usual, with an understated performance but with the menace and power he retains in his eyes, the presence of his real power is never far away.
Luis Tosar is one of the most compulsively watchable actors around, even (especially?) when his characters are being extremely unpleasant, so it sounds like they got the casting dead right, at least.

knives

#18 Post by knives » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 am

Just got back from Crazy Horse and if Wiseman's other films are half as visually unique and Walter Hillesque in characterization than I'm in for a spending spree (are any of his other films on DVD by the way; only a few OOP titles seem available).

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 am

knives wrote:Just got back from Crazy Horse and if Wiseman's other films are half as visually unique and Walter Hillesque in characterization than I'm in for a spending spree (are any of his other films on DVD by the way; only a few OOP titles seem available).
Most of Wiseman's films are only available directly from his company on expensive DVD-Rs. There is extensive discussion of them in the "Frederick Wiseman on DVD" thread.

knives

#20 Post by knives » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 am

Well hopefully crit or somebody can do an Allen King on this than. I'm curious how much the abstraction of the dancers was just the situation and how much was Wiseman.

warren oates

#21 Post by warren oates » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Just screened Hal Hartley's new film Meanwhile on a DVD that's available for purchase directly from his website at Possible Films. This started out as a spec TV pilot for cable and was finished as a short (60-odd minute) feature with funds from Kickstarter. But make no mistake, it's a major work, a definite return to form after the wayward earlier experiments with video and genre in The Girl From Monday and the overly plotted and ill-advised sequel to Henry Fool that was Fay Grim. It's also every bit as vital as Surviving Desire, the other earlier work he made of this length.

I'm a huge Hartley fan. He was one of my gateways into American Independent films the way that I imagine Jarmusch was for an earlier generation. I still love films like Trust, Simple Men and Henry Fool, so it's nice to see him finding his way back to a simpler way of telling stories, like he has in this film, which tells the story of a guy named Joe Fulton, an out of work drummer from Brooklyn who just got kicked out of his apartment and needs to find a place to stay. But he's a resourceful type that thrives in situations like this, a real urban survivor, always balancing dozens of plates, confident that at least one of them will pay off. He's got a kind of lowkey can-do attitude and an implicit faith that there's no problem he can't tackle and if he just keeps at it, things will turn out in his favor (that I imagine he may share with his creator). He's humble and helpful and honest to a fault.

The film follows him on a journey through Manhattan in one day, as he tries to figure where to stay and what his next job might be, encountering various friends and strangers. Hartley himself described it as "like a road movie," but mostly on foot, that gives us images of most of the famous neighborhoods on the island and revels in its digressions.

And the digressions are often about how he helps the people he runs into solve their own problems -- fixing a typewriting, helping an overburdened mover, doing housework with a friend's maid -- forever refusing reimbursement even though he hasn't got an accessible dollar to his name (his bank account was frozen). In this way he's very much the opposite of Henry Fool, who disrupted and drained the lives of everyone he ran into, except for accidentally exposing Simon to poetry, and who didn't really have any useful skills to speak of and was not at all modest.

In Meanwhile Hartley's NYC has that mix of authenticity and romanticism about the city that very film films can match, especially on what I imagine to have been his budget. He shot on one of those new Canon SLRs and it looks great. And it's nice to see a vision of the city that's not so cold and cruel and out of human scale, but more like a street-level community of strangers. Almost like a better version of what the two Paul Auster/Wayne Wang films were aiming at. Hartley has a knack for creating a sense of place in an overphotographed city without resorting to cliche, even when he shoots icons like Brooklyn Bridge.

All in all, my favorite Hartley film in more than a decade.

tarpilot

#22 Post by tarpilot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 am

I love Fay Grim, but it's certainly nice to hear such an enthusiastic reaction from a Hartley devotee. Will definitely be picking it up soon.

knives

#23 Post by knives » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 am

I'm pleasantly surprised to say that Safe House is really good. Anyone who's seen the trailers or just knows that Washington is in this can probably tell that this is in essence a Tony Scott knock-off, but unlike most Scott knock-offs (which I typically can't stand) this one seems to at least know what works about it. I won't ascribe the Hungarian experimentation to the film that Scott deals with (though the editing is shockingly similar to Szindbad) and instead assume it's just an attempt at making an interesting movie. Even with so low goals though it succeeds for the most part in this extremely difficult style (my only complaint is with the handheld which seems to be used for 90% of the shots though it's better than most recent examples).

The story also does a lot to reduce the unfortunate implications of the genre primarily by making the lead more Jack Burton and less Dirty Harry. This is actually where the film becomes more like Mann, particularly Collateral, as Reynold's only virtue is his ethics and even those are questioned throughout such as in a scene where Washington gets mad at him for hurting a civilian (that's not to say that Washington is painted with roses though as he's shown to be a true villain if at least one with a set of morals he stands by). It manages to create an interesting balance between straightforward action scenes and glass in the fountain type ones. This doesn't leave it scot free (such a clean ending hurts the film more than it helps) though it does better than say Underworld or Taken (not the best compliment in the world, I know).

That doesn't even bring up Brendan Gleeson being his typically excellent self.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Interesting review of Bully -- the entire "anti-bullying" care-wave that's sprung up in the last year has always struck me as misguided at best and quite harmful/enabling at worst. Sounds like this documentary is as unfortunate as I suspected

flyonthewall2983

#25 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Not surprising to hear. I share your view on it, mostly because they want to classify bullying as something that only happens in High School.