The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
pzadvance

Re: The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)

#501 Post by pzadvance » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:01 pm

For anyone interested in such things, The Weinstein Company's For Your Consideration site for The Master has a downloadable PDF of an older version of the script, an expanded selection of music cues (rid, it seems, of those pesky dialogue clips included on the official release), and a schedule of upcoming screenings in various cities.

http://twcguilds.com/film/the-master#score" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gcgiles1dollarbin

#502 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am

Dansu Dansu Dansu wrote:I’m about to dump three thousand words on you
No one really responded to your insights, but I thought you executed some lovely close readings, particularly with regard to the final sexual encounter. I recommend it to others who enjoyed the film. Just saying.

I have this to add:
SpoilerShow
One thing I think is overlooked with regard to Freddie is the reason for his strong reaction to Doris. She shouldn’t have had as much impact upon him as she did, at least with what little is offered on-screen toward illuminating their connection. But one thing seems clear: he impulsively relents in his animal-like selfishness, encouraging her to go to Norway and promising her to meet him later. I believe this was a flash of decency in his life that meant more to him than the girl herself; some critics interpret this as Quell rejecting her or getting cold feet at the last minute, but I see it as his attempt to preserve something beautiful. Playing by the score of his arrested, nasty personality, he would have taken her away for a few days, ruined some of her opportunities (including Norway), fucked her, and abandoned her when he grew bored or restless. Instead, there is this remarkable scene of restraint at the screen window which has a romantic flourish that can’t be found elsewhere in his life. When he becomes livid during the session between him and Clark at the mere mention of “Doris,” I think he is trying to protect that single moment of decency rather than the honor of a particular girl, or the cherished memory of a beloved woman. She is sixteen, after all, and somewhat of a cipher, perhaps an unfinished personality that allows this personal symbolism to rest more easily.

And this is the reason that Quell doesn’t return fire with the secret that Elizabeth tried to put the make on him. (This puzzled me at the time of my first viewing; I assumed he would just lash out with this information, and he didn’t.) He could have easily flattened Clark (not to mention Dodd) with this revelation, but he mysteriously keeps the secret. (There is some suggestion in the camerawork at the time of the filrtation that the son-in-law already suspects her overture to infidelity, but it remains a tacit betrayal.) Why would a grotesquely crude character like Quell hold back? Nowhere else does he practice this kind of discretion. I think it’s because he is forced by the talismanic mention of “Doris” to measure his present response against the honorable gesture he made with Doris years earlier. And in addition, during a “process” that resorts to cruelty, he has triumphed by not playing along. Which, of course, is ironic, given that Dodd regards him as an unfinished “animal” most in need of the treatments offered by his quasi-science.

eerik

#503 Post by eerik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:58 pm

matrixschmatrix

#504 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow, they put the whole Let There Be Light documentary on there- if it's a nice 1080p presentation, that could be reason enough to buy this on its own.

Matt

#505 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm

It was recently restored by the National Archives and Records Administration, so let's hope that's the version they use. It's a beautiful and humane film. However, it's also public domain, so they could just be using any old beat-up version.

eerik

#506 Post by eerik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Matt wrote:It was recently restored by the National Archives and Records Administration, so let's hope that's the version they use. It's a beautiful and humane film. However, it's also public domain, so they could just be using any old beat-up version.
I just checked and it has been removed from filmpreservation.org. :-k

But it's still on Youtube.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#507 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Yesss, they used the awesome R2 poster art for the cover. Looks like a great set!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#508 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Gorgeous art on the cover, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the font choices and the way the light blue clashes with the Blu-ray case... definitely the worst PTA home video art since Hard Eight, but it's the film and the features that matter, and I can hardly wait

colinr0380

#509 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Well everyone knows that in the heirarchy of things that the highest level of attainment that a person can reach is that of the silver Blu-ray logo floating in a sea of fluorescent blue.

eerik

#510 Post by eerik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Don't really like the blue sea background. Would be better if they sticked with the original grey. Quick mock-up.

Image Image

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#511 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Fantastic cover and with the inclusion of the outtakes and the John Huston documentary (Who owns the rights to that? The US government?), this will certainly be a first day buy.
SpoilerShow
But I'm glad they used a pussy as the cover.

Kellen

#512 Post by Kellen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 am

I remember when I bought the There Will Be Blood dvd it was kinda bare but this one looks to have some good stuff on it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#513 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 am

Might wanna check back, it might've grown some more stuff since then

Jack Phillips

#514 Post by Jack Phillips » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:09 pm

And this is the reason that Quell doesn’t return fire with the secret that Elizabeth tried to put the make on him.
I interpreted this scene as having happened, like the one where all the members of The Cause are nude, only in Freddie's mind.

I think it's interesting that the only time we see Doris is in Freddie's memory. And when he finally does go back to re-connect with her, the most appropriate outcome occurs. He will always have his memories.

tachyonEvan

#515 Post by tachyonEvan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Still haven't had a chance to see this, but it's coming back in 70mm in February. I'm not crazy wanting to wait until then to see it for the first time, even if it leaks, right?

pzadvance

#516 Post by pzadvance » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:07 pm

tachyonEvan wrote:Still haven't had a chance to see this, but it's coming back in 70mm in February. I'm not crazy wanting to wait until then to see it for the first time, even if it leaks, right?
Not crazy at all, I'd say. Where are you that it's coming back around?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#517 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm

I would think Chicago, where it's getting its long-awaited run at the Music Box in February. tachyonEvan, might want to watch the piracy talk around here.

tachyonEvan

#518 Post by tachyonEvan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 pm

pzadvance wrote:
tachyonEvan wrote:Still haven't had a chance to see this, but it's coming back in 70mm in February. I'm not crazy wanting to wait until then to see it for the first time, even if it leaks, right?
Not crazy at all, I'd say. Where are you that it's coming back around?
mfunk9786 wrote:I would think Chicago, where it's getting its long-awaited run at the Music Box in February. tachyonEvan, might want to watch the piracy talk around here.
Yeah, Chicago.

And it's verboten to mention the fact that movies leak, and people download and watch those leaks? Thanks for the tip. My bad.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#519 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

It's not verboten (as far as I know), it's just going to get you into an argument you don't want to have, and one that's been well covered around here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#520 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Truly a sea change around here when there are posters who don't fondly recall the "Fuck you cumstain" thread

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#521 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:35 pm

Are there really still people downloading high profile films that are/will soon be readily available on Blu-ray from Netflix, Redbox, etc. for pocket change? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Cold Bishop

#522 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Indeed. I don't even have the ratio for DVD-available films. :D

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#523 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm

swo17 wrote:Are there really still people downloading high profile films that are/will soon be readily available on Blu-ray from Netflix, Redbox, etc. for pocket change? Seems like more hassle than it's worth.
You'd be surprised how many movies still aren't streaming on any service. See: my "canistream.it" search history

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#524 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm

eerik

#525 Post by eerik » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Blu-ray.com review

Let There Be Light is 480i and does not appear to be the recent restoration.