Film Festival Circuit 2010

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Dadapass

Film Festival Circuit 2010

#1 Post by Dadapass » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:11 pm

Palm Springs International Film Festival 2010

Here is the list of films. Recommendations are always welcome.

seattlefilmblog

Re: Palm Springs International Film Festival

#2 Post by seattlefilmblog » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:39 pm

I've got some thoughts on things I've seen here: http://bit.ly/89spFY

In short though - The White Ribbon, Will Not Stop There, and the Red Riding Trilogy are probably the three best of what I've seen that'll be at Palm Springs this year.

Dadapass

#3 Post by Dadapass » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Anyone recommend one or two others, or even recommend not watching one of these? I'm only going to see a few.
About Elly
Dogtooth
Police, Adjective
Samson & Delilah
Wake in Fright
To Die Like a Man

edit:Forgot to include Airdoll.
Thanks for the recommendations guys
Last edited by Dadapass on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seattlefilmblog

#4 Post by seattlefilmblog » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:25 pm

I thought About Elly was very good. Samson and Delilah was also interesting - but I didn't love it as much as some. Didn't love Airdoll (though I loved his last film, Still Walking). Unfortunately haven't seen the others. Notes on everything I've seen from Palm Springs this year are here - http://bit.ly/89spFY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lord patchogue

#5 Post by lord patchogue » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:31 pm

Dadapass wrote:Anyone recommend one or two others, or even recommend not watching one of these? I'm only going to see a few.
About Elly
Dogtooth
Police, Adjective
Samson & Delilah
Wake in Fright
To Die Like a Man

edit:Forgot to include Airdoll.
these are pretty good picks, I would consider one or two from the below list as complementary or alternatives depending on your schedule, budget, etc..

Eamon, Hipsters, The Girl (lensed by Hoyte Van Hoytema who had done the cinemtography for Let the Right one in), I killed my Mother (ambitious yet daring first film by 20 year old Canadian Xavier Dolan, it's Canada's official submission to Oscars), Involuntary, The Milk of Sorrow (won the best price in Berlin, highly interesting)

Dadapass

#6 Post by Dadapass » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks again for the recommendations. I've inluded these into my schedule

Breathless (South Korea)
City of Life and Death
I Killed My Mother
Mother
Vincere

Adam

#7 Post by Adam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:54 pm

The Milk of Sorrow was probably my favorite of those I saw at the AFI Fest. For me, lovely as character study, as cultural study, as fish-out-of-water, as romance... Try to see it.

Dadapass

#8 Post by Dadapass » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:23 pm

City of Life and Death has been withdrawn from the festival.

Dadapass

#9 Post by Dadapass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 pm

and here's why

Lemmy Caution

#10 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Dadapass wrote:and here's why
IMDB has been blocked in China for the past 3 weeks, and I'm wondering if that is somehow related.
So China pulled films from the Sydney Film Festival due to a doc about the Uighurs and now pulls the same gambit on the Palm Springs Festival due to a doc on the Dalai Lama. Both banned docs will probably turn up in pirated DVDs in China by the end of the year.

Dadapass

#11 Post by Dadapass » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Here is an article on why China blocked the site. A local paper claims the screening of the film was the reason why IMDb was blocked but it was most likely a contributing factor.
On a related note. Apparently filmmaker Dhondup Wangchen was sentenced to six years in prison on 12/28/09 for making a film about Tibet. Link

Lemmy Caution

#12 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for that Dad.
Although the article mostly speculates that it's related to those docs and the on-going blocking of social networking sites. It does however mention that neither film has a comment yet on IMDb.

My guess is the gov't is probably looking into ways to block "offending" pages at sites like IMDb rather than bludgeoning the whole site. So I expect it will be back on-line in a few weeks/months, but it's fairly unpredictable.

For now, I'm using Allmovie.com as my IMDb backup. Unless anyone has a better site to check on running times, cast, release year, get reviews, etc.

These days, not many news sites are banned in the PRC (some BBC, Andrew Sullivan, maybe the LA Times still). But YouTube, Facebook, Twitter have been disconnected for months, since the XinJiang riots (and the whole province is without internet service since then, except for limited, monitored business use).

bearcuborg

SXSW 2010

#13 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Is anyone else here?

So far the highlights for me are Korine's Trash Humpers, Katz's Cold Weather and Cyrus by the Duplass brothers. I also hear great things about Dogworth, Enter the Void and Passenger Pigeons.

The trade show is excellent, be sure to check out the Kodak booth to sign up for the chance to shoot 16mm on the streets of Austin, I did, and it was a blast.

bearcuborg

Re: SXSW 2010

#14 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 am

Passenger Pigeons is by far the best narrative film I've seen so far here, but unfortunately the distribution might not be there. David Gordon Green was in attendance and gave his stamp of approval to the director. It had a unique vibe, and incredible script.

Also, the best film in general is getting a screening soon at Lincoln Center, it's a film adaption of Jerome Robbin's NY Export: Opus Jazz. Be sure to catch this one next week March 24th on PBS if you can't see it at the cinema, it'll look great on HD too.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing

#15 Post by Nothing » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:07 am

Any news on Red, White & Blue?

bearcuborg

#16 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:30 am

The buzz is good on Red, White and Blue. I haven't seen it, but I'll try before things wrap here. The film seems like basic narrative, and is likely to get a general release, so it wasn't high on my list of things to see.

bearcuborg

#17 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:04 am

For anyone interested in a great movie going experience, SXSW is quite extraordinary. Austin is a wonderful city for a visit for one thing, and the mix of a interactive and film trade floor makes for a great experience. Filmmakers are approachable, the the panel discussions unique and not quite mobbed like the NY Film Festival. Anyway, of the things I saw and liked, here is my top ten in some kind of order. (I provided the same list with links in the 2010 thread as I think it would get more exposure there.)

NY Export: Opus Jazz
Passenger Pigeons
Annie Goes Boating (a short film shot in 3D)
Putty Hill
I Miss (experimental short)
Audrey the Trainwreck
Dogtooth
Trash Humpers
Strange Powers: Stephen Merritt and the Magnetic Fields
Cold Weather
and begrudgingly, Tiny Furniture.

I missed Philip the Fossil, The Myth of the American Sleepover and Marwencol (winner of the documentary award) which seemed promising but time did not permit.

Also, The Lost World (1925) with a live score by the Golden Hornet Project, and The Unknown (1927) with a live score by The Invincible Czars. Additionally there were some great panel discussions with David Gordon Green, Andrew Bujalski, a stunning Melissa Auf der Maur (who has made a film to coincide with her new album which is on tour soon), and I had a brief chat with Jonathan Rosenbaum.

PS The Alamo movie theaters are a great place to see a movie.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#18 Post by Brian C » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 am

Dogtooth is good? It's playing here tonight and I was kind of on the fence, but I'll probably head down there for it now.

bearcuborg

#19 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:59 am

Brian C wrote:Dogtooth is good? It's playing here tonight and I was kind of on the fence, but I'll probably head down there for it now.
Yes, I would make time to see Dogtooth. I'm not quite sure what I saw...but it was unsettling, atmospheric, and funny.

zedz

#20 Post by zedz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, Dogtooth is certainly worth seeing. Probably more deeply weird than more feted 'provocations' from Cannes last year. It may well be worth discussing once some more people have seen it.

James

#21 Post by James » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:32 pm

The guy from Kino told me they're going to put it out in theaters April/May.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#22 Post by Brian C » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Good call on Dogtooth, bearcuborg.

It had a superficial resemblance, I thought, to Haneke, only if he had eaten a bag full of 'shrooms. It had similar themes as The White Ribbon in its examination of a self-contained social unit (in this case a family instead of a village) undergoing a breakdown of authority, with particular emphasis on the way children are affected. And while I don't think this would hold up to any rigorous scrutiny, I even thought Lanthimos' technique bore some resemblance to Haneke, especially in the way sudden, graphic violence is presented.

That said, there's certainly a playfulness (perverse as it is) to the proceedings that struck me as unique. It is a funny film, but the absurdities are presented so straightforwardly that they were as likely to make me wince as laugh. And while I'm not sure what I took away from it, I feel that there are rather distressing implications to the film that would become clearer with repeated viewings (or that may be more clear if one is Greek).

Anyway, I enjoyed it and may try to catch it again if/when it opens for real (the screening I caught was part of the EU Film Festival at the Gene Siskel Film Center).

zedz

#23 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm

One of the aspects of the film that I found funniest, most disturbing and most interesting was its consideration of how language can be used as a means of social control, both in terms of how effective a tool it can be and how devilishly difficult it is to stop it slipping away from / turning back on you.

Lanthimos has made a couple of earlier features, but I don't know anything about them. Has anybody seen them?

puxzkkx

Festival Awards 2010

#24 Post by puxzkkx » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 am

A thread wherein I will keep track of the major awards of the FIAPF accredited film festivals, also known as the 'A' festivals - Berlin, Cairo, Cannes, Karlovy Vary, Locarno, Mar del Plata, Montréal World, Moscow, San Sebastián, Shanghai, Tokyo and Venice - for general reference and comparison reasons. These twelve festivals are the most important competitive festivals on the circuit, and a knowledge of what is going on at them is important for anyone interested in keeping up to date with arthouse world cinema. I've filled in the awards for those festivals that have already happened, and will continue updating this throughout the year.

1st Prize or Equivalent
Berlin: Honey / Bal - Semih Kaplanoglu
Cairo: Lust / El-Shouq - Khalid El-Haggar
Cannes: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives / Loong Boonmee raleuk chat - Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Karlovy Vary: The Mosquito Net / La mosquitera - Agustí Vila
Locarno: Winter Vacation / Han jia - Li Hongqi
Mar del Plata: Essential Killing - Jerzy Skolimowski
Montréal: Oxygen / Adem - Hans van Nuffel
Moscow: Brother / Hermano - Marcel Rasquin
San Sebastián: Neds - Peter Mullan
Shanghai: Kiss Me Again / Baciami ancora - Gabriele Muccino
Tokyo: Intimate Grammar / Hadikduk HaPnimi - Nir Bergman
Venice: Somewhere - Sofia Coppola

2nd Prize or Equivalent
Berlin: If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle / Eu cand vreau sa fluier, fluier - Florin Serban
Cairo: As If I Am Not There - Juanita Wilson
Cannes: Of Gods and Men / Des hommes et des dieux - Xavier Beauvois
Karlovy Vary: Kooky / Kuky se vrací - Jan Sverák
Locarno: Morgen - Marian Crisan
Mar del Plata: Chantrapas - Otar Iosseliani
Montréal: From the Waist On / Dalla vita in poi - Gianfrancesco Lazzotti
Moscow: The Albanian / Der Albaner - Johannes Naber
San Sebastián: Elisa K - Judith Colell & Jordi Cadena
Shanghai: Deep in the Clouds / Bi luo xue shan - Liu Jie
Tokyo: Post Card / Ichimai no hagaki - Kaneto Shindô
Venice: Essential Killing - Jerzy Skolimowski

3rd Prize or Equivalent
Berlin: n/a
Cairo: n/a
Cannes: A Screaming Man / Un homme qui crie - Mahamet-Saleh Haroun
Karlovy Vary: *TIE Another Sky / Drugoje nebo - Dmitri Mamulia
Karlovy Vary: *TIE There Are Things You Don’t Know / Chiz-haie hast keh nemidani - Saheb-Zamani Fardin
Locarno: n/a
Mar del Plata: White, White World / Beli, beli svet - Oleg Novkovic
Montréal: n/a
Moscow: n/a
San Sebastián: The Mosque / A jamaâ - Daoud Aoulad-Syad
Shanghai: n/a
Tokyo: n/a
Venice: n/a

4th Prize or Equivalent
Berlin: n/a
Cannes: n/a
Karlovy Vary: n/a
Mar del Plata: Aballay, the Man Without Fear / Aballay - Fernando Spiner
Montréal: n/a
San Sebastián: n/a
Venice: n/a

Best Director
Berlin: Roman Polanski - The Ghost Writer
Cairo: Svetoslav Ovtcharov - Voice Over / Zad kadar
Cannes: Mathieu Amalric - On Tour / Tournée
Karlovy Vary: Rajko Garlic - Just Between Us / Neka ostane medju nama
Locarno: Denis Côté - Curling
Mar del Plata: Aleksei Fedorchenko - Silent Souls / Ovsyanki
Montréal: *TIE Pascal Elbé - Turk's Head / Téte de turc
Montréal: *TIE Maria Sødahl - Limbo
Moscow: Jan Kidawa-Blonski - Little Rose / Rózyczka
San Sebastián: Raúl Ruiz - Mysteries of Lisbon / Mistérios de Lisboa
Shanghai: Liu Jie - Deep in the Clouds / Bi luo xue shan
Tokyo: Gilles Paquet-Brenner - Sarah's Key / Elle s'appelait Sarah
Venice: Álex de la Iglesia - The Last Circus / Balada triste de trompeta

Best Actor
Berlin: *TIE Grigoriy Dobrygin - How I Ended This Summer / Kak ya provyol etim letom
Berlin: *TIE Sergei Puskepalis - How I Ended This Summer / Kak ya provyol etim letom
Cairo: *TIE Alessandro Gassman - The Father and the Foreigner / Il padre e lo straniero
Cairo: *TIE Amr Waked - The Father and the Foreigner / Il padre e lo straniero
Cannes: *TIE Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Cannes: *TIE Elio Germano - Our Life / La nostra vita
Karlovy Vary: *TIE Filip Garbacz - Mother Teresa of Cats / Matka Teresa od kotów
Karlovy Vary: *TIE Mateusz Kosciukiewicz - Mother Teresa of Cats / Matka Teresa od kotów
Locarno: Emmanuel Bilodeau - Curling
Mar del Plata: Vincent Gallo - Essential Killing
Montréal: François Papineau - Route 132
Moscow: Nik Xhelilaj - The Albanian / Der Albaner
San Sebastián: Connor McCarron - Neds
Shanghai: Christian Ulmen - Wedding Fever in Campobello / Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
Tokyo: Wang Qian-yuan - The Piano in a Factory / Gang de qin
Venice: Vincent Gallo - Essential Killing

Best Actress
Berlin: Shinobu Terajima - Caterpillar / Kyatapirâ
Cairo: *TIE Sawsan Badr - Lust / El-Shouq
Cairo: *TIE Isabelle Huppert - Copacabana
Cannes: Juliette Binoche - Certified Copy / Copie conforme
Karlovy Vary: Anaïs Demoustier - Sweet Evil / L’enfance du mal
Locarno: Jasna Djuricic - White, White World / Beli, beli svet
Mar del Plata: *TIE Mirela Oprisor - Tuesday, After Christmas / Marti, dupa craciun
Mar del Plata: *TIE Maria Popistasu - Tuesday, After Christmas / Marti, dupa craciun
Montréal: Eri Fukatsu - Villain / Akunin
Moscow: Vilma Cibulková - An Earthy Paradise for the Eyes / Zemský ráj to na pohled
San Sebastián: Nora Navas - Black Bread / Pa negre
Shanghai: Vittoria Puccini - Kiss Me Again / Baciami ancora
Tokyo: Fan Bingbing - Buddha Mountain / Guan yin shan
Venice: Ariane Labed - Attenberg

Best Screenplay
Berlin: Apart Together / Tuan yuan
Cannes: Poetry / Shi
Karlovy Vary: n/a
Mar del Plata: Silent Souls / Ovsyanki
Montréal: From Childhood / De la infancia
San Sebastián: Home for Christmas / Hjem til jul
Shanghai: Kiss Me Again / Baciami ancora
Venice: The Last Circus / Balada triste de trompeta

FIPRESCI Prize
Berlin: A Family / En familie - Pernille Fischer Christensen
Cairo: TBA
Cannes: On Tour / Tournée - Mathieu Amalric
Karlovy Vary: Hitler in Hollywood / Hitler à Hollywood - Frédéric Sojcher
Locarno: Winter Vacation / Han jia - Li Hongqi
Mar del Plata: TBA
Montréal: TBA
Moscow: An Earthy Paradise for the Eyes / Zemský ráj to na pohled - Irena Pavlásková
San Sebastián: Genpin - Naomi Kawase
Tokyo: TBA
Venice: Silent Souls / Ovsyanki - Aleksei Fedorchenko

Some information on dates:
The 2010 Berlin International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 11th and 21st of February.
The 2010 Cairo International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 30th of November and the 9th of December.
The 2010 Cannes International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 12th and 23rd of May.
The 2010 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 2nd and 10th of July.
The 2010 Locarno International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 4th and 14th of August.
The 2010 Montréal World Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 26th of August and the 6th of September.
The 2010 Mar del Plata International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 13th and 21st of November.
The 2010 Moscow International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 17th and 26th of June.
The 2010 San Sebastián International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 17th and 25th of September.
The 2010 Shanghai International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 12th and 20th of June.
The 2010 Tokyo International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 23rd and 31st of October.
The 2010 Venice International Film Festival has passed. It ran between the 1st and 11th of September.

The Sundance Film Festival is not FIAPF accredited but is also a significant event on the film circuit.

This year's awards were:
Feature Film Dramatic Competition: Winter's Bone - Debra Granik
World Cinema Dramatic Competition: Animal Kingdom - David Michôd
Feature Film Documentary Competition: Restrepo - Tim Hetherington & Sebastian Junger
World Cinema Documentary Competition: The Red Chapel / Det røde kapel - Mads Brügger

The Toronto International Film Festival is perhaps the biggest film event of the year but it functions more as a film market than as a film festival. Its main awards are voted on by the filmgoing public.

Audience Award: The King's Speech - Tom Hooper

And the year is done!
Last edited by puxzkkx on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.

rohmerin

Re: Fest Awards 2010

#25 Post by rohmerin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 pm

is that Shanghai film festival a real one? To name Best film to Baciami ancora, the awful sequel of my adored The last kiss (2001) seems to me a joke. Who did loose?