Cannes 2011

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Finch

Re: Cannes 2011

#276 Post by Finch » Sun May 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Camera d'Or for first film: Las Acacias

Special Prize of the Jury: Polisse (hissing reported in press room as announcement is made; first WTF? moment of the evening)

Best Script: Footnote (Joseph Cedar)

Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia) (first & last prize for Lars & co.?)

Best Director: Nicholas Winding Refn (Driver)

Best Actor: Jean Durjardin (The Artist)

Grand Prix: The Kid With A Bike (Dardennes Brothers) + Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (Nuri Ceylan)

Golden Palm: The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick)
Last edited by Finch on Sun May 22, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Jeff

#277 Post by Jeff » Sun May 22, 2011 1:31 pm

ellipsis7

#278 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Cde.

#279 Post by Cde. » Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Palm Tree.

Finch

#280 Post by Finch » Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Have to say the only real howler is the Special Prize of the Jury. Almodovar must be wondering what he has to do to ever win a prize at Cannes.

Duncan Hopper

#281 Post by Duncan Hopper » Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Finch wrote:Grand Prix: The Kid With A Bike (Dardennes Brothers)
This is shared with Once Upon a Time in Anatolia.

rohmerin

#282 Post by rohmerin » Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 pm

That Guardian blogger is shocked by Jane Fonda speaking French and Melanie Basterds is French too. The Journalism diploma lo dan gratis en los top manta, or definitelly all this tweet retransmisions are the proof that fastnest is bad for brain, and for readers.

Almodovar has won consoltation awards for All by mother (director) and Volver (script).

I dislike Dardennes, and Terence Malik is an auteur that it's not my cup of tea.

andyli

#283 Post by andyli » Sun May 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Palm d'Or is The Tree of Life.

EDIT: Oops.. didn't see that post above.
Last edited by andyli on Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duncan Hopper

#284 Post by Duncan Hopper » Sun May 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Yes, we know.

tavernier

#285 Post by tavernier » Sun May 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Does everyone know that Tree of Life won Palm Door?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#286 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Wow, surprised at the Ramsey shutout. Glad for Dunst. Shocked at the Director win too

MichaelB

#287 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 22, 2011 3:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:Wow, surprised at the Ramsey shutout. Glad for Dunst. Shocked at the Director win too
I'm more surprised by the blanking for Kaurismäki, especially given the number of tips Le Havre had for the Palme d'Or. But I don't imagine he cares much.

Mr. Ned

#288 Post by Mr. Ned » Sun May 22, 2011 6:19 pm

yeah, Refn best director is impossible for me to comprehend when I did brief recollection of the films of his I'd seen. When I read up a little more on the film my opinion changed; Goslin apparently chose Refn as director, and Refn installed quite a bit of '70s-'80s gusto to the mix, complete with Tangerine Dream score. I'd probably still try to hate it, but chances are...

perkizitore

#289 Post by perkizitore » Sun May 22, 2011 6:24 pm

MichaelB wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Wow, surprised at the Ramsey shutout. Glad for Dunst. Shocked at the Director win too
I'm more surprised by the blanking for Kaurismäki, especially given the number of tips Le Havre had for the Palme d'Or. But I don't imagine he cares much.
He got an award and an honorary mention.

HistoryProf

#290 Post by HistoryProf » Sun May 22, 2011 9:20 pm

domino harvey wrote: Glad for Dunst.
[oldshepherd]me too! i heard she shows her titties![/oldshepherd]

Nothing

#291 Post by Nothing » Sun May 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Justice is served! \:D/

Seems we were almost all swayed by NJ's false information in the final lap, but since I was convinced Tree would win before the festival started I made a tenner out of this online ;) Chuffed that I predicted the Jury Prize for Polisse, at least. The British press were so smug about the Ramsay in the first week that it's hard to care too much about that particular snub... Refn is the nod to the genre folks on the jury, should probably have guessed that one. Pleased by the nod to Melancholia too - Lars' third Best Actress, must be a record.

Fucking Icon UK, doing everything they can to dump the year's Palme d'Or Winner - classy.

ianungstad

#292 Post by ianungstad » Sun May 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Kirsten Dunst is making some really interesting choices in her post-Spiderman career. She has On the Road and Upside Down coming out later this year, which both sound like they could be great. I've always thought Kirsten was an underrated actress, especially in comedies like Dick, Drop Dead Gorgeous, etc. Nice to see her getting some accolades.

Nothing

#293 Post by Nothing » Sun May 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Tree won by majority, with some of the jurors opposed. Nice that De Niro let it swing this way and didn't allow anyone a veto - explains the result. I wonder who was for and against (Ullman for, clearly). Assayas a fan of Melancholia.

+ this is fairly priceless: (not b/c it makes De Niro look stupid, but b/c of how much it must have irritated the French attendees to hear their language stomped upon and, yet, have to hold their tongues and smile!):
Variety wrote:De Niro was in good spirits during the ceremony, even gamely speaking French at the podium, though festival hostess Melanie Laurent delicately corrected him after he accidentally referred to his jury companions as his "champignons"
Nb. It occurs to me now that Malick didn't even offer a statement to be read upon receiving the award... Imho, this is far more off than Lars' Nazi jokes, but hey.
Last edited by Nothing on Mon May 23, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#294 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:03 am

domino harvey wrote:Glad for Dunst.
She has PTA of all people to thank

MichaelB

#295 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 am

Mr. Ned wrote:yeah, Refn best director is impossible for me to comprehend when I did brief recollection of the films of his I'd seen. When I read up a little more on the film my opinion changed; Goslin apparently chose Refn as director, and Refn installed quite a bit of '70s-'80s gusto to the mix, complete with Tangerine Dream score. I'd probably still try to hate it, but chances are...
I'm a big fan of the Pusher trilogy (especially part three) and Bronson, not least for the way they combine ferociously visceral energy with a keen awareness of his material's more absurd aspects. And I can also see why actors would love to work with him - Mads Mikkelsen (Pusher 2), Zlatko Burić (Pusher 3) and Tom Hardy (Bronson) arguably gave career-best performances under him.

Duncan Hopper

#296 Post by Duncan Hopper » Mon May 23, 2011 3:54 am

perkizitore wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
He got an award and an honorary mention.
Not quite, he won two awards that are independent to the festival. He won the In Competition FIPRESCI (The International Federation of Film Critics) award, this award is given at several festivals and is not an official award. The other award was a special mention by the Ecumenical Jury, this is an award given by a group of Christian film people, again not an official award.

I don't think we'll be seeing 'Special mention by the Ecumenical Jury' on the Le Havre International poster.

matrixschmatrix

#297 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon May 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Apparently Oscilloscope has picked up the Ramsey. I'm glad to hear it, I've been wanting to see this. If the fallout of the awards shutout is that the price got into Oscilloscope's range, that's not such a bad thing.

zombeaner

#298 Post by zombeaner » Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mr. Ned wrote:yeah, Refn best director is impossible for me to comprehend when I did brief recollection of the films of his I'd seen. When I read up a little more on the film my opinion changed; Goslin apparently chose Refn as director, and Refn installed quite a bit of '70s-'80s gusto to the mix, complete with Tangerine Dream score. I'd probably still try to hate it, but chances are...
I'm a big fan of the Pusher trilogy (especially part three) and Bronson, not least for the way they combine ferociously visceral energy with a keen awareness of his material's more absurd aspects. And I can also see why actors would love to work with him - Mads Mikkelsen (Pusher 2), Zlatko Burić (Pusher 3) and Tom Hardy (Bronson) arguably gave career-best performances under him.
I only saw the first Pusher film, which I thought was OK. I think I need to watch all three in rapid succession and maybe then it will click for me. I was never really drawn to them after my initial response to the first, though. Bronson, on the other hand, was AMAZING.

MichaelB

#299 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 23, 2011 3:34 pm

zombeaner wrote:I only saw the first Pusher film, which I thought was OK. I think I need to watch all three in rapid succession and maybe then it will click for me. I was never really drawn to them after my initial response to the first, though. Bronson, on the other hand, was AMAZING.
Pusher is easily the weakest of the three - it's a pretty solid debut, but the protagonist just wasn't that compelling. Which is absolutely not a charge you can level at the other two films, each of which takes a supporting character from the first film and builds a separate story around him - Tonny (Mads Mikkelsen), the hapless skinhead sidekick, and Milo (Zlatko Buric), the Serbian drugs kingpin.

Pusher 3, a jet-black farce in which Milo's world starts collapsing around him in a single day, is the best by miles - in fact, it's so good and its relationship to the other two films so tenuous that it's a shame that it was marketed as a threequel. My own Sight & Sound review doesn't seem to be online, but here's Jonathan Romney's overview of the entire trilogy - I pretty much agree with everything he says (except about Bleeder and Fear X, which I haven't seen).

Len

#300 Post by Len » Mon May 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Agree with MichaelB, the first one is definitely the weakest. But while I do like Pusher 3 alot, the second one is definitely my favorite of Refn's films and Mads Mikkelsen is just terrific in it. Only film of his I haven't liked sofar has been Fear X, and even that was kinda interesting. Haven't seen Bronson yet though, need to do so asap.

Disappointed Le Havre didn't get anything, but not too surprised either.