Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, 2005)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
colinr0380

Re: Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt 2005)

#1 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:38 am

And in a way, ironically in light of Wendy and Lucy, Old Joy is just as much from the point of view of the dog as either of the two guys in the film!

Foam

#2 Post by Foam » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 pm

I thought the acting in this movie was pretty incredible. Both Oldham and London really nail that whole thing where you want to say one thing, but you can't, so you say another, but what you wanted to stay is still evident from gestures and facial expressions. "I never doubted you, man." Stuff like that. When you pick up on this sort of thing, it forces you to be a very careful viewer, not just of the acting, but the whole movie, and it becomes like a sensory overload, where the smallest, tiniest thing can send the whole universe spiraling out of control. For that reason I think I like this one more than W&L as well. This is one I will feel the need to return to more. There are universes in this movie I've so far only slightly picked up on.

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Glad (and slightly relieved) that you liked it, Dave. And I like Colin's observation about Lucy. Even though the dog is much more obviously the focus of the subsequent film, when I saw Old Joy I was really struck by the completely natural way she was integrated into the film, and her genuine 'dog-ness'. Far too often pets are included in movie characters' lives (when they're included at all) as plot devices or glorified set decoration, but in this film you get a sense of her independence and the relationships between her and the other characters.

bottled spider

#4 Post by bottled spider » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:48 pm

And, though perhaps it was only happenstance, I couldn't help noticing that Lucy gravitated toward Kurt rather than her owner Mark as they hiked along the trail.