Crispin Hellion Glover's What Is It? (Crispin Hellion Glover, 2005)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
zedz

#26 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:56 pm

blindside8zao wrote:Did anyone else find his additions to all the Herzog commentaries to be nothing but annoying? He continually made speculations which were wrong, didn't really seem to get the "sense" of any of Herzog's films.
I can't remember which film it was, but I think the nadir of Glover's contribution was when Herzog asserted his strong ethical reasons for withholding Game in the Sand from distribution, to which Glover's response amounted to "that sounds really cool, I wish you'd release it." It seems to me that he is enamoured of the 'trippy', 'freaky' and transgressive aspects of Herzog's cinema (hey WOW man - chicken abuse! dwarves!) but tone deaf to its other qualities.

blindside8zao

#27 Post by blindside8zao » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:18 pm

which makes me curious as to why Herzog has been working with him.

Dylan

#28 Post by Dylan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:49 am

I've read many times that Glover and Herzog are good friends (in the "Loch Ness" film, I hear that Glover is present at the opening dinner table scene), and I've also read that Glover is something of a Herzog historian.

From what I've read on here about his commentaries I'm kind of interested in hearing them. Can somebody give an example of one of Glover's "interpretations"?

blindside8zao

#29 Post by blindside8zao » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:09 am

it's more bad questions and pestering questions than wrong interpretations, though those are somewhat present too. The previous poster's citing of the "game in the sand" discussion is the perfect example. I don't recall if he's in the dinner table scene in Loch Ness, but so is Jeff Goldblum, and they don't exactly have a working creative relationship going. You never know how much of that movie to take seriously and I think, perhaps a Herzog Hollywood dinner party was just part of the farce, though I could be wrong.

Nihonophile

#30 Post by Nihonophile » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:27 pm

blindside8zao wrote:it's more bad questions and pestering questions than wrong interpretations, though those are somewhat present too. The previous poster's citing of the "game in the sand" discussion is the perfect example. I don't recall if he's in the dinner table scene in Loch Ness, but so is Jeff Goldblum, and they don't exactly have a working creative relationship going. You never know how much of that movie to take seriously and I think, perhaps a Herzog Hollywood dinner party was just part of the farce, though I could be wrong.
Its not part of the farce remember Herzog really lives in hollywood, the house Incident is shot in is i believe zak penn's but the footage of the party was shot in real time. Glover shows up at one point and everyone cheers but the camera quickly pans away. The moment in the film when the DP shows up is the first time Herzog had met the man. I also noticed that herzog shops at Whole Foods. :lol:

Fletch F. Fletch

#31 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:38 pm

a nice inteview with Glover.