Awards Season 2016

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Awards Season 2016

#526 Post by Brian C » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:04 am

Dead or Deader wrote:The crossover between Hacksaw Ridge voters and supporters of Trump would be large enough to fit on the Van Diagram, given the demographic and the racist/misogynist statements of both sides My point was that supporting Gibson is reenforcing the belief that any white male can get away with literally anything in Hollywood, without while there are millions of female filmmakers who still can't get the financial backing behind their projects. In the Hollywood hegemony, this has to stopped and the Academy should be ashamed for giving Gibson a free past while turning the backs of those he seeks to discriminate.

knives

#527 Post by knives » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 am

There's an argument to be made that the treatment of Gibson discourages non hegemonic individuals from joining mainstream cinema, but bringing up Trump is pointless and weakens the authority of the argument.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#528 Post by Brian C » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:54 am

Call me crazy, but I don't think the treatment of Gibson has been all that light. He was publicly savaged for what he did, he spent years in the movie wilderness, and even now that he's made a professional comeback he's still basically a punchline for most people. That seems proportional to the offense, which was minor enough on its own terms that I doubt most of the people who make fun of him or hold him in contempt even remember exactly what he did.

But I have little tolerance for this idea that we need to keep our pitchforks sharpened for people for all eternity; I just can't relate to that kind of punitive blacklisting mindset. I thought Hacksaw Ridge basically sucked, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he was given the job of directing it, and aside from the poor quality of the film, I won't be bothered in the slightest if he is awarded for it. Unless we're given reason to believe that his behavior remains destructive or otherwise ugly, I feel it's time for the world to move on.

felipe

#529 Post by felipe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 am

lacritfan wrote:Spirit Awards 2017 winners
Best Supporting Female - Molly Shannon, Other People
Such an underated performance! Good it's getting some recognition.

felipe

#530 Post by felipe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 am

Dead or Deader wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Affleck win the Independent Spirit Award, hopefully Hollywood got over it too and he prevails tomorrow
It would be another case of Hollywood normalizing misogyny through awarding Affleck with BA achievement. While I usually don't have problem with works of art from artists who were morally reprehensible, the political climate has made it harder to accept and forgive people such as Affleck for his past actions. It's even worse that Mel Gibson got nominated for BD and you could see plenty of Trumpite people who reside in the Hollywood scene, only making it harder for disadvantaged groups such as woman and POC to break out into the industry.
In a year as diverse as this, with 3 best picture nominees starring mainly POC, and also films about women and gays, are people going to focus on the fact that Mel Gibson got a nomination? Is that going to make it harder for disadvantaged groups to break out?

Ribs

#531 Post by Ribs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:06 am

3 "black" films, one of which is focused on women and one focused on gay men, out of 9 is not diverse. It is more diverse, but it's still not really quite hitting a threshold where the overwhelming majority of the films nominated are no longer traditional, "white" movies. It's progress, but giving a big prize towards these other people with personal problems is not a step in the right direction if that's the narrative they're pushing

felipe

#532 Post by felipe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:13 am

Ribs wrote:3 "black" films, one of which is focused on women and one focused on gay men, out of 9 is not diverse. It is more diverse, but it's still not really quite hitting a threshold where the overwhelming majority of the films nominated are no longer traditional, "white" movies. It's progress, but giving a big prize towards these other people with personal problems is not a step in the right direction if that's the narrative they're pushing
It is diverse if you contrast it to previous years and take into accounts the movies that were in contention. What others movies were focused on gay men and highly acclaimed but failed to get a nomination? There a good chance 3 black actors will be walking out with an Oscar tonight, something that has never happened before. It's not perfect, but it does look like a step in the right direction. I don't see how Gibson getting a nomination can take away from that.

Would people here even have the same reaction were we talking about Polanski?

Ribs

#533 Post by Ribs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:19 am

Er, yes. And you just repeated what I said; it's not diverse yet, but it's more diverse and that's good. But giving prizes to these people would not do them any favors if they're trying to look like they're getting better at this.

felipe

#534 Post by felipe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:31 am

Ribs wrote:Er, yes. And you just repeated what I said; it's not diverse yet, but it's more diverse and that's good. But giving prizes to these people would not do them any favors if they're trying to look like they're getting better at this.
"these people" meaning black people or people like Mel Gibson?

Ribs

#535 Post by Ribs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:33 am

Specifically Casey Affleck and Mel Gibson, as should be obvious from context, but I appreciate the slight.

felipe

#536 Post by felipe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 am

I don't know. I get your point, but isn't saying the Academy shouldn't award Affleck because of the sexual harrassment claims like saying they should award Ruth Negga just to show that they support black actors? Too often the Academy gets blasted with the idea they focus too much on the celebrity rather than the work itself. Are you suggesting the opposite, that they shouldn't focus on the work if the indivual is deemed "unworthy"?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#537 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:10 am

Ribs wrote:3 "black" films, one of which is focused on women and one focused on gay men, out of 9 is not diverse. It is more diverse, but it's still not really quite hitting a threshold where the overwhelming majority of the films nominated are no longer traditional, "white" movies. It's progress, but giving a big prize towards these other people with personal problems is not a step in the right direction if that's the narrative they're pushing
It reflects more than triple the actual racial diversity of the United States, in which only 1 out of every 8 Americans is black

hearthesilence

#538 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 am

Brian C wrote:But I have little tolerance for this idea that we need to keep our pitchforks sharpened for people for all eternity; I just can't relate to that kind of punitive blacklisting mindset. I thought Hacksaw Ridge basically sucked, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he was given the job of directing it, and aside from the poor quality of the film, I won't be bothered in the slightest if he is awarded for it. Unless we're given reason to believe that his behavior remains destructive or otherwise ugly, I feel it's time for the world to move on.
I'm not a fan of any of his directorial efforts, but I agree with this. Furthermore, his distasteful behavior coincided with some very serious personal issues - drinking of course as well as what seemed like a series of nervous breakdowns.

rohmerin

#539 Post by rohmerin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:29 pm

It would be so wonderful if Vigo win the Oscar. Amazing film Captain Fantastic, totally under rated.

I had a cultural gap with Moonlight. It was so black, I mean, it's set in Miami and there's not a latino, in Miami? The High School was only for Blacks? I did not understand all of that. I did not see any masterpiece in the film. It's good, and period.

movielocke

#540 Post by movielocke » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:52 pm

rohmerin wrote:It would be so wonderful if Vigo win the Oscar. Amazing film Captain Fantastic, totally under rated.

I had a cultural gap with Moonlight. It was so black, I mean, it's set in Miami and there's not a latino, in Miami? The High School was only for Blacks? I did not understand all of that. I did not see any masterpiece in the film. It's good, and period.
segregation.

rohmerin

#541 Post by rohmerin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm going to watch the show, E channel now, illegally like always, in a small window with dreadful quality, but once a year don't kill. Talking about killing, I'd kill for being on the red carpet.

Isn't LA the best spot for fucking around?

Divines, the best French film I remember since De battre mon coeur s'arretè, is about poor muslim people in Paris suburbs, and I can understand it better than "segregation" in USA where I'm totally lost. In London or Paris, it'x all mixed BUT more with incoming than race.

Werewolf by Night

#542 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Juan is Cuban and Kevin is Cuban-American. There are such things as black Latinos.

vidussoni

#543 Post by vidussoni » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 pm

movielocke wrote:segregation.
that ended in 1964...

knives

#544 Post by knives » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:31 pm

vidussoni wrote:
movielocke wrote:segregation.
that ended in 1964...
Only by the broadest legal sense of the term.

bdsweeney

#545 Post by bdsweeney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Is anyone aware of a radio broadcast of the ceremony?

flyonthewall2983

#546 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Brian C wrote:But I have little tolerance for this idea that we need to keep our pitchforks sharpened for people for all eternity; I just can't relate to that kind of punitive blacklisting mindset. I thought Hacksaw Ridge basically sucked, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he was given the job of directing it, and aside from the poor quality of the film, I won't be bothered in the slightest if he is awarded for it. Unless we're given reason to believe that his behavior remains destructive or otherwise ugly, I feel it's time for the world to move on.
I'm not a fan of any of his directorial efforts, but I agree with this. Furthermore, his distasteful behavior coincided with some very serious personal issues - drinking of course as well as what seemed like a series of nervous breakdowns.
From what I've read about his father, he seemed like a very hateful man but stopped short of taking it out on his family. I can see having to struggle with that, as part of whatever kind of emotional problems he was having around this time.

captveg

#547 Post by captveg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Beginning how DreamWorks Animation films end was a good choice, if only because Timberlake always raises the energy of a room.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#548 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Academy Award winner Suicide Squad, ladies and gentlemen

captveg

#549 Post by captveg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad. LOL.

Seriously though, fantastic makeup work in that film.

knives

#550 Post by knives » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Wasn't that the front runner?