Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Antoine Doinel

Re: Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, (1982)

#26 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:11 am

Vice has some excerpts from Herzog's production diary.

aox

Re: Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, (1982)

#27 Post by aox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:39 pm

I am about 50 pages into this and I must say that it is delightful. And, without sounding arrogant, he shows how really small the film community is, or at least was. Only 50 pages into and we have met Kubrick, Errol Morris, Abel Gance, Jack Nicholson, and witnessed his thoughts and memories of Larisa Shepitko (she dies in an earlier entry). Plus, his thoughts about the jungle and what he sees day to day cannot be duplicated.

After I initially read it cover to cover, I can see this will be a book that I will take off the shelf and thumb through for the many decades to come (assuming I live that long). It is simply wonderful and I try to make that claim objectively without any hero-worship.

hot_locket

Re: Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)

#28 Post by hot_locket » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:16 am

Has anyone any clue about the availability of Herzog's Film Lesson series he made in the early 90's? I just now learned of it for the very first time while reading Herzog On Herzog and it sounds utterly fascinating

Robin Davies

Re: Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)

#29 Post by Robin Davies » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:06 pm

hot_locket wrote:Has anyone any clue about the availability of Herzog's Film Lesson series he made in the early 90's? I just now learned of it for the very first time while reading Herzog On Herzog and it sounds utterly fascinating
It's available for sale on his website but unfortunately it's in German only.